TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^Doesn't sound this this is going to be a place that you can even make a reservation. From the art, it just seems like a quick serve place.

Yes, I was thinking "food court," too. Looks nice, though.

Wow, that looks awesome. It would be awesome sitting there watching the jungle cruise boats go by and taking in the great theming while...

^ From what I've read about this, there's no alcohol being served, as per Disneyland's usual rules about booze, there.

Oh...

^Doesn't sound this this is going to be a place that you can even make a reservation. From the art, it just seems like a quick serve place.

I suspect it will still be crawling with AP's who never give up their table...

...Until Disney prices all the AP's out next year to prep for Star Wars...

^ Probable. I remember when our World's Fair was on (EXPO 86) and I would go into the fair (I had the Full Season Pass)

and just get a coffee, and people watch while I was there. Even when I had stuff to do downtown, I would

"pass through the Fair" just to people watch and see what was going on. It's not too much of a stretch to know

that annual pass holders would do the same thing in Disneyland, etc. Probably Knott's, too.

If I had an annual pass to DL Resort, I'd certainly be spending time just being there, and nothing else.

Is it true that some people actually bring the laptop and study/work in Disneyland?

Wouldn't surprise me. If you live nearby, that's not much different than working or studying at a Starbucks. Granted Starbucks doesn't charge admission, but some of these AP's have been paying monthly payments for so long that they barely even notice that money going out the door anymore. Even with this latest price hike, that AP is still no higher than the cable bill or the cell phone bill. So in that sense, it really is almost the same as going to the local Starbucks.

Is it true that some people actually bring the laptop and study/work in Disneyland?

Wouldn't surprise me. If you live nearby, that's not much different than working or studying at a Starbucks. Granted Starbucks doesn't charge admission, but some of these AP's have been paying monthly payments for so long that they barely even notice that money going out the door anymore. Even with this latest price hike, that AP is still no higher than the cable bill or the cell phone bill. So in that sense, it really is almost the same as going to the local Starbucks.

During my visit I encountered some APs in the single rider/FP lines that were so numb to everything around them - just there to get a ride or two in. Here I was, on cloud 9 waiting for Space Mountain and you've got guy reading a book with headphones in just going through the motions. I know the magic can wear off but it was almost a buzz kill. I wouldn't be surprised if people go there for study/work if it's that convenient.

When I was on my college program I would occasionally bring my laptop with me on the weekends when I was off (though that was at Magic Kingdom). I would say Disneyland is a less likely place for "quiet, nice places to work" due to the crowds though.

it's making news (again) because of the new story, but yeah. . . that kind of info has been around for a while (unfortunately).

there's a very good documentary film that came out in 2010 that talks about the kids that live in those hotels near Disney, and I believe several of the parents work at the park (if I'm recalling correctly):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706603/

MV5BMThjYmYzODgtYWZlOC00Nzk4LWJhZTItMDAwYWM5MTA1ZTFlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_UY268_CR9,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I'll never understand the whole "let's go study at Disneyland" idea. Just my opinion, but I'm not going to go to The Great Wall of China, or Niagara Falls, or anywhere really encapsulating, and just study there. Not only would it not be effective, and hard to work ("hmmm, to study, or go get a FP for Indiana Jones...") but it also does, as someone else pointed out, seem to insult the atmosphere.

Honestly, for my case back in 2011 when I was a College Program participant, I didn't have a car and my apartment complex was dull and not close to any really nice places. Hopping on a C.P. bus and just popping into the parks for fun or respite was very nice, even if I lugged my laptop with me.

That being said, working for them in Glendale previously and having an annual pass for Walt Disney World now, it's much less convenient and I am much less likely to do that. Disneyland was over 30 miles away (which translated into drives of anywhere between 45 minutes and an hour and a half from where I lived in Los Angeles), and Fun Spot is closer to where I'm living now!

I'll never understand the whole "let's go study at Disneyland" idea. Just my opinion, but I'm not going to go to The Great Wall of China, or Niagara Falls, or anywhere really encapsulating, and just study there. Not only would it not be effective, and hard to work ("hmmm, to study, or go get a FP for Indiana Jones...") but it also does, as someone else pointed out, seem to insult the atmosphere.

Annual Passholders don't really treat the park as a theme park. It's a social gathering/people watching place for a lot of people. There were plenty of times when I still had a pass that Dan and myself never rode anything when visiting the park. People watched, ate food, maybe caught Fantasmic!, and so on.

I could absolutely see someone finding a spot, say, by the Rivers of America to just take in the atmosphere and consider it a peaceful place to just study, read book...do anything but ride the rides.

I don’t know if this is the right place for this, or if anyone here watches this, but; Once Upon a Time(airs Sunday’s on ABC) this week featured Madam Leota from the haunted mansion! I thought it was so cool. The show uses Disney characters, but it appears that this week they tapped into characters from a ride, in this case being haunted mansion. Mods feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place!

^ We just watched the episode this evening, after recording the episode! It was so surreal!

And Madame Leota was being portrayed as a villain, too! Very out of the ordinary.

The series is ending after these episodes, unfortunately. Nobody was happy with the

new turn of events, it seems. But this was a nice OMG in the middle of it all, lol.

^Seriously!?!? They are cutting the series off!? I had no idea. That actually makes me really sad. It was one of the things my BFF and I had together that we both just loved!!

We have more we like to do together, but this was one of the things he introduced me to and I became a fan of. I was truly hoping it would keep going. However, I can see how maybe people would have been disappointed being that they basically just started things from square one again.

I really enjoyed the series at the beginning, but it's dragged on for so long. I think I'm about 4 seasons back, and it's almost become a chore to watch them. They're still fun, and I enjoy all the characters, but everything got stretched out too much.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Marvel expansion that's been teased for DCA has officially been confirmed to be taking over Bug's Land:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/03/avengers-and-other-super-heroes-to-assemble-in-new-themed-areas-at-disneyland-resort-disneyland-paris-and-hong-kong-disneyland/

Highly anticipated new experiences at Disneyland Resort, Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland will soon invite guests to become part of a bigger universe filled with epic heroes and adventures, and today we’re sharing a sneak peek! Developed in partnership with Marvel Studios and Marvel Themed Entertainment, these three new areas will champion the next generation of Super Heroes.

At Disneyland Resort, the new Super Hero-themed land will begin recruiting guests in 2020, with even more new experiences to follow. The Guardians of the Galaxy will be joined by Spider-Man and the Avengers in what will become a completely immersive Super Hero universe, furthering the evolution of Disney California Adventure park. This new land will be anchored by the popular Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!, in the adjacent space that is currently occupied by “a bug’s land.” “It’s Tough to Be a Bug” closed March 19 to make way for this new heroic experience; the rest of the land will close in late summer.

As part of the transformative multi-year expansion announced for Disneyland Paris, the new Marvel-themed area at Walt Disney Studios Park will include a reimagined attraction where riders will team up with Iron Man and their favorite Avengers on a hyper-kinetic adventure in 2020. This will follow an epic experience launching this summer, when Disneyland Paris hosts Marvel Summer of Super Heroes from June 10 to September 30. Favorite heroes will take the stage for a brand new, live-action super-production featuring cutting-edge special effects and spectacular projections.

Multi-year expansion plans are also underway at Hong Kong Disneyland, including a new themed area that will include an exciting attraction where guests team up with Ant-Man and The Wasp. This new attraction will join the Iron Man Experience, which opened in 2017 and is already the most popular attraction at the resort.

California_Poster_Final.thumb.jpg.189f3e2530c2b586f3b968191602c0f2.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227