TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Where Are You Going in 2018?

Definitely

Cedar Point

Kings Island

(CF passholder for 2018)

Likely

Michigan's Adventure (I have to pass by it when going home; with my CF platinum pass I could just swing in, ride ST, and then go home)

Possibilities (some have very little chance of happening)

Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Carowinds

Dollywood

Dorney Park

Fun Spot parks (both)

Hersheypark

Holiday World

Indiana Beach

Kennywood

Kentucky Kingdom

Kings Dominion

Knoebels

Six Flags America

Six Flags Great Adventure

Six Flags Great America

Waldameer

In your opinion is shivering timbers worth the drive from the Detroit area? I'm a CF pass holder too and I've always considered making the drive out there. I guess I always figured I would be out that way at some point for something else and I could hop over and ride it. But I never have been.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring:

Kings Dominion

Hersheypark

Knoebels

Summer:

Hersheypark

Knoebels

Cedar Point

Kennywood (Possible)

Late Summer/Early Fall:

Hersheypark

Knoebels

Going back to Japan for a slightly longer trip and it's going to be a solo this time around. Managed to score a half-decent airfare as well!

Joypolis

Tokyo Dome City

Tobu Zoo Park

Hakkejima Sea Paradise

Yokohama Cosmoworld

Yomiuriland

Fuji-Q-Highland

Nasu Highland

Tokyo Disneyland

Tokyo DisneySea

Nagashima Resort

Lagunasia

Hanamanko Pal Pal

Hirakata Park

Universal Studios Japan

Cedar Point almost certain. If so, Kennywood (1st time) and probably Waldameer (again)

Probably Busch Gardens Tampa and the Fun Spots. Really depends if the GF takes any business trips to Orlando/Tampa I sometimes go along and have said next time I'll duck away to one of the parks.

Hopefully Magic Mountain and Knotts Berry on the WCB, I already have a long ago planned trip that can't be moved in early Sept. Sadly if WCB falls during then I'll miss it, but if not I am 100% going this year, which would be the first time in 5 years :O

Taking a trip up to Boston this year and I would love to hit up SF:NE, depends on time constraints as its not set in stone.

So anywhere from 2-9 parks

At the moment, it's looking like I will be down Virginia way for opening weekend at Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg. After that, I've booked tickets mid-April for my first ever trip to the state of Texas, where I'll be hitting both Six Flags parks, SeaWorld, and probably ZDT so I can check out that awesome wooden boomerang. I'm tentatively penciling in a mini-roadtrip over Memorial Day weekend to head out to PA and Ohio to get my Steel Vengeance fix and probably hit up Kings Island as well. The rest of the summer, no concrete plans as of yet, but in November I'm hoping to get the family and myself down to Florida for the kids' first visits to the major Orlando parks and, if time permits, also Busch Gardens.

2018 is split into "pre-wedding" (07/14/18) and "post-wedding" sections for me.

Pre-Wedding

This time period will be very lean - we actually passed on getting season passes anywhere next year in order to save money, influenced by the idea that we wouldn't have much free time on weekends to go anywhere anyway. I may visit SFGAdv with my brother with one of his BAFF discounts, but that'll most likely be it.

Post-Wedding (a.k.a. "The Lynns are Going Dutch!"

One of the main reasons why we're saving money now, aside for the wedding and a down-payment on a house, is because we decided that we're going to the Netherlands for our honeymoon. We're most likely staying for 10-14 days, some of which must be dedicated to non-amusement park stuff, so I'm looking at Efteling, Walibi Holland, Toverland, and maybe Attractiepark Slagharen, but only if time allows for it. Once we're home, I plan on getting the 2019 Six Flags passes in order to get into SFGAdv for the remainder of the year, too.

Okay, so the honeymoon plans have changed a bit. Instead of spending two weeks in the Netherlands, we're cutting that in half and spending a week in Great Britain. As a result, Alton Towers, BPB, and Thorpe Park are all on the radar now. I don't think Rikki will tolerate having a honeymoon that's 75% coasters, so I'm going to have to see what I can do without.

We just reserved our PA trip in July. This is our most coaster focused trip we've ever had.

Saturday, July 14: Drive 9 hours to Pittsburgh. Get dinner somewhere exclusive to the area.Stay at the Hyatt House (free night)

Sunday: Kennywood, likely with the VIP pass. Stay at the Hyatt House (free night)

Monday: Wake up early and drive 3 hours to Knoebels. Staying at the nearby Holiday Inn Express.

Tuesday: Touring the Yuengling Brewery and the area. Staying at Holday Inn Express.

Wednesday: Hershey Park. Staying at Hershey Lodge.

Thursday: Hershey Park. Likely with premium fast queue. Staying at Hershey Lodge.

Friday: drive 12 hours home feeling like shit from eating crap food for several days.

This Friday we're also reserving our coaster campout trip at Cedar Point for May.

Four of us purchased KI tickets/fast lane + combos for our guys trip in June, where we can hit a 10am-12am operating hour Saturday.

This year is looking great, so far. We're also going to Pensacola Beach, FL in August for our 6th anniversary. KW, and Knoebels are new parks for us. Not that I give a shit, but I should be over 200 coasters by the end of the PA trip. I think I'm sitting at 180 something. This is our second to last summer before we start trying to have a child, so we're even willing to chip into our savings if necessary, which is usually a huge no-no for us.

Edited by prozach626

^ I think you're going to really enjoy the Hershey Lodge. I feel it's going to deliver on the level of comfort that you tend to look for based on your hotel preferences.

BTW, never thanked you for the recommendation on the Hyatt Rewards card. I signed up for it last spring and made it mine and Rikki's primary card. It's helped ensure our lodging expenses on our honeymoon are a tiny fraction of the normal cost.

Updated 2018 hit list:

Six Flags America

Dorney Park

Hersheypark

Knoebels

Kennywood

Cedar Point

King's Island

Carowinds

Waldameer

Conneaut Lake

Darien Lake

SFNE

Holiday World

Kentucky Kingdom

King's Dominion

Maybe:

Six Flags Over Georgia

Busch Gardens Tampa

Sea World Orlando

Dollywood

I have two 10 day trips planned this summer. I split one monster trip into two to alleviate the death march feel. Now the first of those trips is reaching death march level again. Waldameer and Conneaut are "run in and get the woodie credits" stops, though. My daughter asked if we could go to Niagara Falls on one of these trips, so why not add Darien Lake as well? We could possibly ride three identical SLCs in one trip. Jealous yet?

So far we are going to:

Six Flags Over Texas

Hershey Park

Knoebels

Kings Dominion

Six Flags America

Six Flags Over Georgia

Universal Orlando

Islands Of Adventure

Busch Gardens

SeaWorld Orlando

Six Flags St. Louis

Kings Island

Cedar Point

Six Flags Great America

Then SFOT a few more times...

Should be a decent season for us!

• 1 month later...

Well, sadly... It's time for an update. When I first posted this list we had pretty much finalized where we would be going and when. That being said, events out of our control with our friends that were going to be doing a lot of traveling with us this year has caused us to re-vamp our list.

So far we are going to:

Six Flags Over Texas - DONE!

H̶e̶r̶s̶h̶e̶y̶p̶a̶r̶k̶ - Ummm, given they don't have their "Fast Track" online for this summer... That's a no go.

Knoebels - Still happening! (This month actually!)

Kings Dominion - Still happening! (This month actually!)

S̶i̶x̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶g̶s̶ ̶G̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶A̶d̶v̶e̶n̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ - Not happening. Won't fit in our time frame for the trip like we had originally planned. Voted to go KD instead.

Six Flags America - Still happening! (This month actually!)

Six Flags Over Georgia - Still happening! (In mid-October!)

U̶n̶i̶v̶e̶r̶s̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶o̶ - Not happening due to our friends having issues beyond any of our control.

I̶s̶l̶a̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶O̶f̶ ̶A̶d̶v̶e̶n̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ - Not happening due to our friends having issues beyond any of our control.

B̶u̶s̶c̶h̶ ̶G̶a̶r̶d̶e̶n̶s̶ - Not happening due to our friends having issues beyond any of our control.

S̶e̶a̶W̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ ̶O̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶o̶ - Not happening due to our friends having issues beyond any of our control.

S̶i̶x̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶g̶s̶ ̶S̶t̶.̶ ̶L̶o̶u̶i̶s̶ - Not happening due to our friends having issues beyond any of our control.

K̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶I̶s̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ - Not happening due to our friends having issues beyond any of our control.

C̶e̶d̶a̶r̶ ̶P̶o̶i̶n̶t̶ - Not happening due to our friends having issues beyond any of our control.

S̶i̶x̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶g̶s̶ ̶G̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶A̶m̶e̶r̶i̶c̶a̶ - Not happening due to our friends having issues beyond any of our control.

Then SFOT a few more times... - (Still happening)

S̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶u̶s̶!̶ (Clearly not anymore!)

So given that we lost our "major" trips this year, which is kind of okay because it gives us more time to focus on planning our wedding! We have decided to take it a bit light on the "major" summer trip this year. So instead of the FL trip, and the Ohio trip... We will be doing a Texas trip!

Our trip will consist of:

Hurricane Harbor (Arlington)

Schlitterbahn (New Braunfels)

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (Gotta try Golden Shower Coaster while we are down there)

ZDT's

Galveston Island Pleasure Pier

Kemah Boardwalk

Six Flags Over Texas

Mostly in that order! Should be a fun little minor trip to replace our other trips that fell apart.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post!

Kings Dominion

Both relatively frequently.

Looking into trips to:

Kennywood

Hersheypark

Knoebels

Carowinds

MAYBE

Six Flags America

Well slight change.

CP/Kennywood is out.

Instead shall do Kentucky Kingdom/Holiday World. Gunna try and sneak in Kings Island, still not sure but I'd like to.

BGT happening end of this month.

WCB if the time doesn't conflict with a wedding. If it does, I'll go to CP/Kennywood then

Definitely SFFT and Schlitterbahn, probably ZDT's, maybe SeaWorld SA and SFOT, slight chance of SFDK or CGA.

2019 may be an east coast road trip ft. SFGAdv, Hershey, Knoebels, and that general area, maybe some SFOG/Carowinds/Dollywood deep south action as well. All depends on the budget.

Definitely SFFT and Schlitterbahn...

Ha!! Great minds think alike!!

I have NEVER been to Schlitterbahn... But we have been wanted to go for years. Figured we would get it out of the way this year, and having Golden Shower Coaster near by makes it the perfect opportunity to experience a lot of *news!*

I think I've posted in this thread twice before with overly ambitious expectations. Now that summer is drawing closer, my 2018 plans are looking pretty light. 2016 and 2017 were big travel years for me.

I've already been to Knott's and SFMM several times this year.

I'm definitely going to Lagoon this month, probably once Roller Coaster re-opens. I'll be going here almost every weekend in the summer.

I'll be going back to SoCal in mid-July to ride HangTime, CraZanity, and probably Electric Eel as well.

Other than that, nothing too exciting for the time being. Something may happen in the fall or winter, but time will tell.

Already went to Kings Dominion once this year, but planning on going again. Same with Hershey Park.

Dollywood sometime in late July/early August.

Silver Dollar City in July, and maybe Holiday World on the way.

Cedar Point sometime during the summer.

Any suggestions for a USA Midwest 5 day trip I'm trying to put together?

- Ideally would be two theme parks and one waterpark, so interested in a theme park that has a good waterpark nearby

- Would be great if could drive from one park to another in under 5 hours, but open to quick flight if easy

- Count out Holiday World and Six Flags St. Louis, which I've been to (I love Holiday World, but just want to try something new). Also trying not to do Cedar Point, as I've been before, but it's been a while and it's amazing, so could be open to it.

Ideally would love to do Kings Island and Silver Dollar City (along with one of the waterparks, but logistically seems tough to fit in 5 days, even flying between the two is tough).

Possibilities I'm considering include:

- Silver Dollar City and World's of Fun (for waterpark, not sure if WhiteWater at SDC or Schlitterbahn KC is better)

- Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom or Cedar Point

- Kings Island and Great America

- Great America and Valleyfair

Thoughts?

- Ideally would be two theme parks and one waterpark, so interested in a theme park that has a good waterpark nearby

- Would be great if could drive from one park to another in under 5 hours, but open to quick flight if easy

- Count out Holiday World and Six Flags St. Louis, which I've been to (I love Holiday World, but just want to try something new). Also trying not to do Cedar Point, as I've been before, but it's been a while and it's amazing, so could be open to it.

Ideally would love to do Kings Island and Silver Dollar City (along with one of the waterparks, but logistically seems tough to fit in 5 days, even flying between the two is tough).

- Silver Dollar City and World's of Fun (for waterpark, not sure if WhiteWater at SDC or Schlitterbahn KC is better)

Thoughts?

Just drove to SDC from the Cincinnati area and it took a good 9 hours. Idk about you, but that's a whole days drive for me. KI is great if you've never been, and KK is about 2 hours away. Their water park looks nice, but I didn't go on any slides when I was there. It's also nice because the water park is integrated with the theme park, so you can easily pop between the water park and coasters.

So basically you could comfortably do KI and KK in two days, depending on how busy KI is when you go and if you're planning to get FL or anything. I guess that would leave yourself open to drive/fly to SDC or another distance park after that, but you could also go to CP and spend two days there instead. Also, I'm not a big water park person so I can't really speak to any of that.

Thoughts?

Kings Island and Silver Dollar City are a great combination, just count on a day of driving between them. Oceans of Fun is better than either Whitewater Branson or Schlitterbahn, plus there are a couple coasters there too. Prowler is legit, and Mamba and Patriot are worthwhile. Timber Wolf is much better with the retrack. I'd say those three would make a good trip, as long as you're okay with a one-way rental.

Day 1: Kings Island, stay until close so you can ride Beast at night

Day 2: Drive to Branson

Day 3&4: Silver Dollar City, leave early second day for KC

Day 5: Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun

I'll also throw in a vote/vouch for Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom. Kings Island is a solid choice as I'm sure you're aware, and I doubt you'd be disappointed by Storm Chaser and Lightning Run at KK.