TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

No, the first turning coaster was Serpentine Railroad at Coney Island in 1885. It was the first to have turns. That's what people are going to think of when they hear "turning coaster." The term "spinning coaster" is descriptive, and people know what they're getting into when they hear it. Just like "looping coaster" is fine even if the coaster doesn't have a vertical loop. People know what it means, so communication achieved. There's no need to be exact when exactitude would cause confusion.

It's a little late to change the marketing, lol. I think our fears of people being scared off are probably overblown. Especially now as they post more videos - even the GP can see for themselves that it's not that intense. It's going to be a fun looping coaster with a few twists.

Plus you have to remember that it will vary with different loadings. Even with a heavy control on the spinning, each ride will be unique.

I disagree that people are turned off by the term "spinning".

hi.gif.19aefa6e4b891d5b3de87e997ffb897c.gif

That's pretty presumptuous of you, but I can assure you we exist. The "spinning" is why I have almost zero interest in this coaster, as I mostly loathe any ride that spins in a tight circumference (tea cups, til-a-whirls, spinning mice). Without the spinning I'd be riding the hype train and planning a visit as the rest of the ride looks pretty cool to me. If it was "rocking" or "turning" it would be much more appealing to me.

^ I'm pretty much the same. I'll have to let you know once I ride it, but from what I've seen testing I think it's going to be okay. Then again, I chose an avatar of "It's going to be okay" about a month before the 2016 election, and look how that turned out. I'm not good at predicting things.

Really, you just need to get down here for Outlaw Run. If this one coaster turns out not to be your thing, doesn't even matter. SDC doesn't need a new coaster in any way. It's already one of the best parks anywhere.

I feel the spinning will be quite tolerable even with a loaded train as the vehicles practically are not spinning at all when unweighted. But i'm sure every ride is going to be different. I'm still interested to see how the launches will effect the spin.

On another note, i'm wondering if Time Traveler is going to have its own soundtrack. The announcement and testing teasers have all had the same music score that i feel is not just a royalty free orchestral audio clip you download off the internet for adverts and such. To me, the music sounds very "IMAscore" like. Could the audio used in these video be the ride soundtrack if it has one? Personally, i would love it if Time Traveler had its own soundtrack to play in the queue and ride plaza especially if its a soundtrack from IMAscore. I think the music in the adverts would fit the theme of the ride a whole lot better than the random bluegrass, banjo-pickin' music that the rest of the park plays.

Well, every other coaster since Powderkeg has it's own recorded song - even RiverBlast has it's own song. They even put together a bunch of soundbites and stuff for Fireman's Landing. I'd say there's a good chance they've got something worked up in that department.

Did you guys realize this thing opens next month? Time is flying...

I see what you did there!

I am not that big of a fan of spinning coasters to be honest, but like many have pointed out, it looks like the spinning won't be too bad. Anyway, this looks like it is going to be an awesome and unique coaster no matter what! I can't wait to hear the reviews when it opens!

So it is supposed to open with the park? Planning a visit in the third week of March. And yes, I am aware that coaster openings are often delayed and yes, I will still visit the park anyway.

Also, I'm wondering if you locals think one day at the park will be enough for a first-timer, or if I should pay a little bit more to get a pass and go more than one day. I've never been to Branson, but I've heard there are a lot of other neat things to do in the area. How many days (within reason) should I plan to spend in Branson, and how much of that time at SDC? Opinions/advice welcome.

So it is supposed to open with the park? Planning a visit in the third week of March. And yes, I am aware that coaster openings are often delayed and yes, I will still visit the park anyway.

Also, I'm wondering if you locals think one day at the park will be enough for a first-timer, or if I should pay a little bit more to get a pass and go more than one day. I've never been to Branson, but I've heard there are a lot of other neat things to do in the area. How many days (within reason) should I plan to spend in Branson, and how much of that time at SDC? Opinions/advice welcome.

It'll open with the park, SDC has done rather well with that over the years. That's not to say there won't be downtime from growing pains. They have been testing it for some time, any delay would be because of the queue area not being done and I doubt that. Just be forewarned, SDC opens to coincide with area schools' spring break period and those that have season tickets are ready to ride the new coaster. Expect it to be like the grand opening of a new chick FIL a.

Cool! So glad you can make it down here. You're going to love SDC.

There actually is a lot to do in Branson these days, with 2 alpine coasters (one of them a double), Bigfoot on the Strip, Fritz's Adventure, and the new stuff the Track has been adding. Add to that existing attractions like the Tiger Sanctuary, Ripley's Believe It or Not, and Titanic Museum, You could really have a good time for several days. It's not just country music shows anymore. There's almost more to do that doesn't involve music as stuff that does.

I would suggest 2 days at SDC if you really want to experience everything it offers. You can do it all in one day, as there really aren't that many rides. They go quality over quantity, and you'll probably want to ride them several times though. Allocate about half an hour for the train and about an hour and a half for the cave. Don't skip either of those, they're great.

Since you'll be going during Spring Break, there won't be any special shows. You'll have the two house bands, Homestead Pickers and Cajun Connection, as well as the saloon show (sorry, SDC's dry, so it's a saloon in name only). The saloon show is really hokey, and if you're into corny hillbilly sh*t, then definitely see it. It's the sort of thing that made Branson what it is.

SDC has free parking, and if you show up an hour before opening, you should be able to park close to a tram stop. This is Spring Break for a lot of area schools, including Springfield Public Schools, the largest district in Missouri. Get there early. As you enter the park, go through the Hospitality House (where the cave tours start) then straight forward and make a right at the Mine Restaurant (you'll see an ore cart on a track elevated above the restaurant exit). Line up for rope drop near the bridge. At rope drop, book it straight to Time Traveler. It's straight ahead on your right, just past Thunderation. Based upon my experience with Outlaw Run, if you do this right, you should get on quickly; miss it and it'll be 90-120 minutes.

A lot of the stuff like the alpine coasters, go karts, and Bigfoot are open late and you can do them after SDC closes. If that's all you want to do, then two days should be plenty. Otherwise, you may want to add on a third day for non-SDC stuff, especially if you haven't been to a Ripley's or a Titanic museum. They're both worthwhile.

Oh and eat cinnamon bread.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

I would suggest 2 days at SDC if you really want to experience everhthing it offers. You can do it all in one day, as there really aren't that many rides. They go quality over quantity, and you'll probably want to ride them several times though. Allocate about half an hour for the train and avout an hour and a half for the cave. Don't skip either of those, they're great.

I suggest 2 days as well, especially since the park is only open until 6pm. By the end of day 1, you're going to be so hyped to get back there the next morning and re-ride your favorites! My first visit was 2 days and I can't imagine visiting for just one day. I mean, if you've only got one day then go, haha! But two days 9:30-6p would give you ample time for re-rides, down time (for yourself and for the rides), and food sampling.

SDC is a park you should go into without a real schedule. Just show up when it opens, go to the ride you want to go to first, if something smells amazing or looks good, try it out!