TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know not a cruise ship, but is the same industry. Currently mounting the top half deckhouse of the largest container ship ever built in the US. Just for some perspective, the bottom of the crane stands roughly 200' from the ground, add another 43 feet to the bottom of the dry dock.

1282767773_ship29house.JPG.61d3b199dacabbe78287968ddbbb1bf2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

11 or 12 people killed on a shore excursion taking RCCL and Celebrity passengers to ruins from Costa Maya. Police suspect a tire blew out at high speed, sending the bus off the road (it may even have rolled a few times before ending up on its side). Yes, it's an official excursion: no other way to end up on a bus trip from Costa Maya than buying from the ship, as anyone who's been knows.

I've said this before many times, but for all that ships say about the comparative safety of their shore excursions, the reality is that they're outsourcing to many of the same people you would on your own if you made arrangements, except inflating the price to get a cut themselves. You're not gonna be safer; they're playing on your fears of the unknown.

This is going to go down as one of the worst 'cruise ship accidents' ever. Looks like everyone from children to elderly were killed, and some of the injured are severe. Truly a terrible event. Over on one of the cruise message boards I'm on someone lost a brother in this accident. I just hope this doesn't scare people away from cruising, like we all already knew, the cruise ship is super safe compared to driving! *Not that I would let this deter me from driving in a less developed country to see amazing sights, it's just a small risk you have to take.

• 1 month later...

This cruise ship screams of terrible parents and terrible children.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cartoon-network-cruise-ship/index.html

Cruise ships aren't for everyone. Cartoon-themed cruise ships aimed at families with young kids even less so.

But for fans of animation broadcaster Cartoon Network, a colorful new branded cruise liner -- Cartoon Network Wave -- is about to float their boats. The newly announced ship, which embarks on its maiden voyage from Singapore in late 2018, will draw inspiration from popular shows to create a kid-oriented experience at sea. Its 800 cabins are inspired by shows such as "Adventure Time" and "Ben 10," while 11 entertainment decks will host themed nights including circus shows and parties with the Powerpuff Girls. The ship will be the latest of several new oceangoing options for families with kids. Disney has just announced the return of two favorite cruise options. Its popular "Star Wars" and "Marvel" sea adventures will be on offer on select Disney cruises in 2018 and 2019.

This colorful new ship is emblazoned with Cartoon Network star Jake the Dog. Pictured here: Artist impression of Cartoon Network Wave. All illustrations are subject to change without prior notice. Cartoon Network's ship will be dominated by images of Jake the Dog -- the star of "Adventure Time" -- with others dotted around restaurants and bars. There's also a rope adventure park and an outdoor "Young Tooniverse" space for kids to play in.

There will be some great entertainment options on this fantastic new ship. Pictured here: Artist impression of Toonix Pool on Cartoon Network Wave. All illustrations are subject to change without prior notice. The cruise is the product of a partnership between Oceanic Group and Turner Broadcasting, the parent company of Cartoon Network and CNN. "Turner is always looking at new ways to bring our characters to life -- and Cartoon Network Wave will be their home on the high seas," says Ricky Ow, president of Turner Asia Pacific. Cartoon Network Wave will have its maiden voyage in late 2018. Pictured here: Artist impression of Cartoon Network Wave. All illustrations are subject to change without prior notice.

Cartoon Network Wave will sail to 13 destinations across the Asia Pacific Region, including Singapore, Malaysia and China.

http---cdn_cnn.com-cnnnext-dam-assets-180125103858-cartoon-network-wave---exterior-1.thumb.jpg.6640483a1cf85ae0841ace06074dbc19.jpg

http---cdn_cnn.com-cnnnext-dam-assets-180125104116-cartoon-network-wave---exterior-7.thumb.jpg.48b14ac7d8745605658cb3e12db144b1.jpg

11 or 12 people killed on a shore excursion taking RCCL and Celebrity passengers to ruins from Costa Maya. Police suspect a tire blew out at high speed, sending the bus off the road (it may even have rolled a few times before ending up on its side). Yes, it's an official excursion: no other way to end up on a bus trip from Costa Maya than buying from the ship, as anyone who's been knows.

I've said this before many times, but for all that ships say about the comparative safety of their shore excursions, the reality is that they're outsourcing to many of the same people you would on your own if you made arrangements, except inflating the price to get a cut themselves. You're not gonna be safer; they're playing on your fears of the unknown.

I believe The main thing you’re paying the premium for is the cruise line making sure you’re back before they leave. Book on your own and you’re SOL.

Today we got a special preview of "Star Wars Day at Sea" on the Disney Fantasy. Since this was a media event, everything was compressed down into a few hours, but the entire event looks FANTASTIC! We got to meet some of the characters, see a sample of the shows, check out the Star Wars area in the Oceaneer Club, try some of the food offerings for the event, and a walk around the ship taking it all in!

Disney Cruise Line most certainly does things at a "higher end" than other cruise lines. For Disney fans and especially in this case Star Wars fans that like the "Deluxe" accommodations of Walt Disney World, a week on the Disney Fantasy, or any of their other ships for that matter would be right up your alley!

Let's take a look at some highlights from the event and for more details about cruises, special themed "days at sea" or other booking information, check out their website: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/

Here's our re-cap highlights video:

DVHhFuUVwAAY26N.jpg

Good morning from the Disney Fantasty for a preview of Star Wars Day at Sea!

DVHjuYoU0AAF7Je.jpg

Kristen has her credentials and she’s ready for Star Wars Day at Sea!

DVHleUOX0AEi-ms.jpg

Storm Troopers have infiltrated the terminal building looking for Rebel Spies!

DVHmT7nVAA0I72z.jpg

Yay! We are official! We have our Star Wars name tags!

DVHpKcKU0AA7WuC.jpg

I think Kristen has gotten herself into a bit of trouble!

DVHtBO6VwAIXYF9.jpg

Walking through those Mickey ears is one of the most magical vacation experiences you can have!

3.thumb.jpg.cb4d1c77523b881ede47c76cb605d848.jpgMinnie Mouse, the ships mascot greets us on board!

2.thumb.jpg.e5bdd3bcee25466638c86f88c9fa72bf.jpgI just love the little Disney attention to details on these ships like the Mickey hand on the elevator numbers.

5.thumb.jpg.c3e835cdbf738768361e5d00d82ec11d.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.b90ecccb16e56149f63d668409ac383b.jpgThe central area and the hallways on this ship are just gorgeous!

4.thumb.jpg.3fc7766d5aa2e2ee9724bfa2d42c69a7.jpgWe are not even on the ship five minutes and already trouble is starting to go down!

DVH8yKkU0AAUex1.jpg

Kristen trained to be a Jedi against Kylo Ren!

DVI8w0-V4AAnhB8.jpg

Yeah, sorry Kylo Ren, Kristen isn’t having any of your attitude!

DVIdfB5UQAArebr.jpg

Yay! She got to meet C-3PO!

DVIgPP4X0AQSHvG.jpg

Things didn’t go well at first with Kristen meeting Vader...

DVIgPPVXUAE_7YN.jpg

...but she told him she’s joining the Empire so now they are BFFs!

DVIjjOTW0AI-9-a.jpg

CHEWIE!!! DO NOT EAT JANICE!!! She is not a BBQ Porg!!!

7.thumb.jpg.a3b32318dc8fee8027bb9093a0d2309d.jpgThe ship uses the Magic Band technology for the kids to enter and exit the Oceaneer Club.

DVImuMhU8AAyEyI.jpg

Look who is hanging out with kids in the Oceaneer Club!

DVIpsKUUQAEppxF.jpg

These Star Wars simulator games they had in the Oceaneer Club were amazing! Fantastic resolution and the games were super fun!

DVIuZM1V4AAIRdk.jpg

The Oceaneer Club staff will assist you in building a droid!

DVIyh7XX0AAOlKR.jpg

While it may be “Star Wars Day” the Marvel stuff on the ship is super cool also!

DVI2EczXUAApxfy.jpg

DVI2EeKX0AA_oor.jpg

DVI2EfPXcAEodkG.jpg

Kids can also hang out with Pixar characters, princesses, and fairies in the Oceaneer Club!

DVI4tu3W4AAEEbe.jpg

Here’s a look at some of the merchandise only available during Star Wars Day at Sea.

DVJAJvsVMAAZ4zL.jpg

DVJAJwsVoAAbSKj.jpg

DVJAJutU8AAxnzJ.jpg

Lunch today is at Animator’s Palate!

DVJAJtwUMAAQ0lQ.jpg

It’s all decked out for Star Wars Day At Sea.

DVJCTjyU8AAXhxb.jpg

Here is our lunch menu...

DVJDnRZVAAAkd2E.jpg

It’s made out of people...

DVJDnRdU0AAuOWw.jpg

Sand People!!!

DVJP-hfVAAIQ87f.jpg

For our entrees we chose the Pork Tenderloins..

DVJP-hgVoAMiNkn.jpg

Mushroom Katsu Curry...

DVJP-hhU0AEF3SQ.jpg

...and the Crisp Chicken. All fantastic!

DVJVVsKV4AMxe6q.jpg

DVJVVsIUMAQmORA.jpg

DVJVVsKUQAQWuuM.jpg

Dessert was OMG fantastic!!!

1.thumb.jpg.76f4fd0b74f819f308aa4ff742a25891.jpgWe had an amazing time during the preview of Star Wars Day At Sea! All your favorite Star Wars characters are here so you should be, too!

Edited by robbalvey

Gooberfish caviar?

The whole ship looks amazing. As does the Star Wars theming and events.

And the food, of course. Mmmm pork tenderloin. Yummy!

Thanks for sharing this Media Event Robb, Elissa and Kristen.

^If this is your worst nightmare, you must have a pretty awesome life!

I'm not a Star Wars fan and haven't seen any of the new movies, but nothing 'bothered me' or got in my way at all. Pretty easy to ignore/avoid if you just wanted a normal day at sea.

I am a downer on this one as I think this really works only with a US Crowd. For those who like this, good for them and have fun. For me, it would be my worst nightmare.

Wow, thanks for your highly positive (sarcasm), and also totally incorrect opinion (this only works with a US crowd) on this subject. You know that you don't HAVE to hear yourself speak, right? And the rest of us will go about our day just fine?

Edited by robbalvey

I am a downer on this one as I think this really works only with a US Crowd. For those who like this, good for them and have fun. For me, it would be my worst nightmare.

one of my friends, who does a TON of cruising, went in Jan on the "Star Trek" cruise.

He had invited me along, and it was really inexpensive too (guess they were having issues filling both sailings, since the rooms were REALLY cheap for a 5 day cruise featuring tons of Star Trek cast members, and lots of themed activities).

Anyways, I couldn't join him since I didn't have the time off, and it was sailing out of Florida and he asked if I wanted to join like 5 days prior to cruising.

the point of my story here? he was concerned about going, since he's NOT a Star Trek fan at all, and was just grabbing it as a cheap cruise, but he was concerned he'd be miserable.

he not only was NOT miserable, he had so much fun (terming it among the best cruises he's ever taken) that he has already booked full cost passage for the 2019 Star Trek Cruise.

The pics he shared during the "red shirt" parties, hanging out with cast members, the Q&A's. .he said he didn't do his regular cruise stuff, since he was having such a ball with the Trek group.

so.. long story short? don't judge it without experiencing it.

you might enjoy it.

--> He's made his Trek Cruise post public, so if there's interest, I'll ask him if I can link to his pictures here. . he took over 300.

26731005_10156019649199730_6250369158741195010_n.jpg?oh=aa6fa9cf52347ec9d1cd73fd096283e0&oe=5ADAE1D9

Wow, thanks for your highly positive (sarcasm), and also totally incorrect opinion (this only works with a US crowd) on this subject. You know that you don't HAVE to hear yourself speak, right? And the rest of us will go about our day just fine?

How can a opinion be incorrect? It is just a my personal opinion that you do not have to agree with, which is fine. Not here to ruin anybodies day, but I think it should be ok to have a opinion on a message board, even if goes against the administrors opinion. And I speak a lot and hear myself too which is usually just fine.