TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

4 Dead in Rapids Ride Accident at Dreamworld Australia

The park will reopen (sort of) on Saturday, December 10th. Some rides will remain closed a little longer pending further "safety reviews".

Ardent Leisure Group (ASX: AAD) today advises that the Whitewater World water park and Dreamworld theme park will re-open to guests on Saturday 10th December 2016 following the successful completion of the mechanical and operational safety review.

All of Whitewater World's slides, pools and cabanas will be open as will several of Dreamworld's rides and attractions. Dreamworld's other rides will progressively open as they are signed off as part of the safety review process.

Source: www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20161130/pdf/43dbnnh79xgcvk.pdf

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Dreamworld had closed their log flume post the rapids ride accident and it has recently re-opened with a modification to the logs.

"As part of Dreamworld’s park-wide safety and engineering processes we undertook a major overhaul of the iconic Log Ride to ensure the ride remains a part of Dreamworld’s attractions offer for many years to come. We've added a Perspex canopy to prevent riders from standing up at any point during the ride."

It's too bad common sense isn't enough. Of all the flumes out there, this is one of the most tame.

dw.JPG.07e45e726ffa1ebc1fcc9a1b0b307355.JPG

This makes me feel claustrophobic and I'm not claustrophobic

dww.JPG.9d76f9487e300ee62227ad1a9707e49e.JPG

:/

dwww.JPG.63b21fa31f306101e22a61a51bd121c9.JPG

Get splashed from angles you've never experienced before on a flume???

I would have expected something like a head-check checkpoint at a couple points along the ride. Anyone standing up just gets a whack in the head to sit 'em back down.

Look at how tame this flume is It's final drop isn't even a drop, it's like a gradual descent Oh and they also have signs throughout the ride stating to sit.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

While lap bars slow loading, it's better than a cage that would obstruct views in my opinion.

This! I'd much rather have a restraint than a claustrophobic covering. I wonder why they didn't go for that option..

While lap bars slow loading, it's better than a cage that would obstruct views in my opinion.

This! I'd much rather have a restraint than a claustrophobic covering. I wonder why they didn't go for that option..

How about this one in Japan?

Chuck I immediately thought of that upon seeing the modified logs, but couldn't think of what trip/park that photo was from haha. I'd rather be completely closed off than half and half.

Chuck I immediately thought of that upon seeing the modified logs, but couldn't think of what trip/park that photo was from haha. I'd rather be completely closed off than half and half.

This one is at Kijima.

Do they slow down the load process? I actually haven't noticed at all since they were installed.

Fun Fact! You wouldn't believe the amount of people they get who would jump out of that ride before the lap bars! It's scary to think that your average idiot person doesn't realize that it's a giant machine and has no problem at all killing you due to your own stupidity.

Do they slow down the load process? I actually haven't noticed at all since they were installed.

When I rode it in 2007 shortly after the lap bars were installed, dispatches were abysmal. Everything else at Islands of Adventure/Universal was less than a 15-20 minute wait the day I visited except Ripsaw Falls. Ripsaw Falls was ~2 hours all day. The queue was much more manageable in my most recent visit, but it still seemed like people had to board or unload the boat one at a time due to how awkward the resting position of those lap bars are.

Chiapas has lap bars, but those ones weren't as bad. I remember those ones sliding up and down while Ripsaw Falls rotate downward. Then again hasn't Chiapas had lap bars from the start while Ripsaw Falls was retrofitted with them?

When I rode it in 2007 shortly after the lap bars were installed, dispatches were abysmal. Everything else at Islands of Adventure/Universal was less than a 15-20 minute wait the day I visited except Ripsaw Falls. Ripsaw Falls was ~2 hours all day.

Oh, sorry. I thought we were talking Splash Mountain. Yes, I've noticed this also at Ripsaw because those lapbars are awkward and weird. People have trouble getting into them. The Splash Mountain ones are simple and don't impact operations at all that I've seen.