TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The official NFL Discussion Thread

spaceace12

Yeah - Peterman with six interceptions out of like nine attempts to start his career probably isn't going to make it in the NFL.

They just fired the OC today in Buffalo, which isn't going to hurt my feelings any. Dennison's biggest issues were that he couldn't make Tyrod a pocket passer - even though he tried his damnedest. And that he would make surprisingly dumb play calls at crucial times of the game.

Hopefully they can get a decent OC that can either groom a good rookie, or will know how to utilize a veteran QB - should we land one in FA.

In terms of the games this weekend, I guess I have to go with Pittsburgh and NE in the AFC as much as it sours me to do so.

In the NFC, I am going with home upsets for both with NO and Atlanta pulling out the victories in Minnesota and Philly.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, two absolutely amazing games yesterday. As exciting as the Jags game was, especially for me personally, the ending of that Minnesota game might be an all time great.

Also, with that win yesterday the Jags are now 5-1 the last 10 years at Heinz field, and Leonard Fournette has more rushing TD's at Heinz field this year than Leveon Bell. Absolutely nobody will pick the Jaguars to beat the Patriots next week, and that's fine, bring on the GOAT.

That Minnesota game was unreal.

I thought that the Bengals/Raven finish to put the Bills in the playoffs was one of the most insane things that I have seen...until that Diggs TD. Wow.

Congrats to hilltopper - can't say that I saw the Jags going in and pretty much handing it to the Steelers for most of the day. Now if they can go to NE and repeat that performance, I would say that they might have a legit shot of winning it all.

What they can't do is what Tennessee (and pretty much any team that plays NE) did...let off the gas. If you can hang with NE for a half, you damned well best be changing your game plan at halftime, because you know that Belichick is going to be making his halftime adjustments based on what he saw in the first half.

I have seen Buffalo do this so many times where they play them well for a half and then come out with the same game plan in the 2nd half and get their asses handed to them on a silver platter.

Similar instance in last year's SB, although the Falcons just plain fell apart in the most epic fashion imaginable.

Don't fall into that trap Jax!

As a Maryland resident/Terps fan, Stefon Diggs makes me proud. I was glad to see the Saints lose (can't stand Drew Brees) and seeing how Sean Payton mocked the fans right before they lost was icing on the cake. That's why you don't celebrate till the game is over. I do feel awful for Marcus Williams though. Being a Redskins fan, I'm hoping the Vikings win this Sunday.

^ That's gold!

I definitely like the Patriots chances the rest of the way because Brady is the only quarterback left with any real playoff experience. Everyone is calling the game against the Jaguars a tomato can game around here, but I think the Jaguars deserve some credit. Yes Bortles is so bad that his coach said the ideal game plan would have him throw the ball zero times. And yes the defense just allowed 40 points to the Steelers, but several of those scores came on contested deep bombs on fourth down.

The defenses that give the Patriots trouble usually have 2 of the following and I honestly think the Jaguars have all 3:

- Front four that can rush the passer without a blitz

- Fast linebackers that can stop the dink and dunks

- Physical corners

I'm still taking the Patriots since the Jaguars offense is putrid and the Pats defense is sneaky good, but I don't think the Patriots will blow them out. I think it'll be something in the ballpark of 20-13.

In the NFC, I'm giving it to Minnesota. They seem like a team of destiny with Case Keenum at QB and that ending on Sunday.

I'm still taking the Patriots since the Jaguars offense is putrid

You're not entirely wrong here, but they did score 45 on the Steelers ........(with only 1 defensive touchdown).

The Jags offense is hit or miss, and they play WAY better with the lead than from behind. If they can get out to an early lead, get a turnover, get Fournette going, maintain a long drive for a touchdown, whatever, then I like them to keep it close and have a chance to win the game. If Brady get on em early and they're playing from behind it might be a long day.

^ Wow - what a sucky way for the Jags to lose.

But being a Buffalo fan, I have seen it happen ohhhhhh so many times where we get "Brady'ed" after building a lead, or playing them close for 2-3 quarters. Just goes to show why you NEVER relax when you have Brady at the helm, no matter what type of lead you may have. You would think that teams would learn this, but apparently they don't.

Not sure why the Jags D started giving receivers so much cushion starting with that last drive that NE did before the half. As soon as they started clawing back into it, I said "Uh-oh....here we go again". Ouch.

But on a postive note, Bortles actually showed himself as THE guy in Jax, so you have a lot to look forward to in the coming seasons. I was impressed with him overall in the Steelers and Patriots games after he looked pretty dreadful in the Bills game.

As far as Philly/Minnesota, I never expected a blowout, but Foles looked pretty damned impressive. So much in fact that I texted my sister in Allentown and told her that we would trade all of our 2018 draft picks tomorrow to get Foles in a trade to Buffalo (kidding).

Here's to hoping for a good Super Bowl!

The Jaguars offensive game plan in the first half was outstanding. They had the Patriots completely off balance by mixing the screens with play action. It was the perfect scheme to keep Bortles comfortable and cause the Patriots to repeatedly overcommit.

I disagree that Bortles proved himself as the guy to the Jaguars. He definitely didn't lose him the game, but their ultra conservative play calling made it apparent that they didn't trust Bortles to make any big throws. Once they built that 10 point lead, they seemed content to just run the ball 3 downs and then trust their defense. I know their defense is great, but I can't believe they ditched their highly effective formula from the first half.

It was certainly an exciting game and I'm hoping for another great Super Bowl. Though with the Patriots, it always seems to be a closely contested game. I do wish the Eagles had Wentz playing, but Foles is a very capable QB as evidenced by his almost MVP season a few years ago and last Sunday's game.

^ That was why I mentioned that the Jags couldn't let up and that they needed to alter their attack in the 2nd half regardless of whether they were winning or losing. This is the only way that I see anyone beating the Patriots.

I recall Marrone and Hackett having that same conservative style when they were in Buffalo...and of course, I don't believe that they beat the Patriots once during their stint here just because of that conservative style of play. It used to drive me nuts!!

I also hope that it's an exciting game that goes down to the wire. No one really likes to see a blowout in the SB, unless of course, their team is the one that is doing the blowing out.

They have been discussing that on Boston radio lately- do fans prefer to see their team win a blowout or a closely contested game?

I much prefer the latter (in the playoffs at least). It makes me feel like the team has earned it more and it definitely keeps you engaged more rather than seeing your team up 42-0.

^ As long as it's your team doing the blowing out, definitely.

I don't know if my heart would handle another "Wide Right" Super Bowl at my age now!

Final predictions? I really am hoping for the Eagles to pull of the upset, but everyone is picking the Patriots. Still have to think they win it in Q4 by a score of 27-21.

Actually just hoping to win big on my pools more than anything else. I have already won $90 of the $320 that I have tied into the playoffs and SB, but tonight is definitely the biggie!

Rooting for my #'s over the team tonight!

Sad to see the Patriots lose (probably the only one here with that feeling) but the Eagles deserved it and both teams (particularly the offenses) played hard.

Unfortunately people were ranting on the radio around here how the officials stole the game by ruling the last 2 Eagles touchdowns as catches rather than giving the Eagles credit.

^ I'll admit I was surprised those play were ruled TD's. Usually when teams play New England the call tends to be incomplete. Now I did think the first call should of stayed incomplete. Not sure about the second one though. At least now all you Philly fans here can cheer on your Flyers and 76ers. Oh wait I forgot those teams are awful. Sorry I just had to say that.

Is Philadelphia still standing?

Yep. I work a half a block off Broad Street and it doesn't look too bad this morning.

However...

http://dailysnark.com/videos-eagles-fans-burning-city-philadelphia-ground/

https://slate.com/culture/2018/02/terrifying-things-heard-on-the-philadelphia-police-scanner-after-the-eagles-won-the-super-bowl.html

And with that, I probably won't make an appearance in this thread again.