TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Wicked Cyclone has great airtime. Superman's air on the other hand is pretty overrated and apart from the shield hill really doesn't deliver much.

It also doesn't help that the restraints kill like 90% of the airtime.

The only hill on Superman that doesn't have any air is that first S-hill before the spaghetti bowl portion. Even when I'm stapled by those restraints, I can still feel plenty of air.

There is a need to separate the subjective impressions from the objective facts, been noticing this a lot lately. For example "Superman's air on the other hand is pretty overrated and apart from the shield hill really doesn't deliver much" this implies excessively that airtime is subjective, and if we take it as a statement of fact it is simply wrong in this case. There is nothing subjective about the fact that Intamin airtime defines ejector, you are pressed up into your restraint and then pressed harder, over an extended period of time, in every seat varying only in degree. Nothing at all ambiguous about it, this isn't just getting some air and then a bump sending you into the bar like an old woodie. I was going to say "Superman hurts it's so forceful" which is also partially subjective, but this is different because the amount of pain was a result of actual force. Actually Wicked Cyclone's air is more subjective since a lot of it is quick and harder to brace for.

Thing is that extreme ejector airtime doesn't necessarily make it a great ride for you. The need for heavy restraint is inherent, for one thing. My own experience varies quite a bit but I'm not going to claim it was any lack of airtime. Along with fatigue when I rode it, It probably has more to do with the way it makes these forces fairly casually, it could break you with no trouble at all. You either like it or you don't, the experience just grabs you or it doesn't. Or try again at a better time.

All you need to do is go to youtube, search for any rider videos/reverse POVs from when they had the VR on it last year - there are tons of them but I couldn't find TPR so I'm not linking any others. But you can clearly see riders getting airtime.

Even with my fat meaty thighs resulting in me being stapled on every single ride I took on Superman I still was getting air throughout the ride, front back and middle. The hill right next to the photo booth is obviously the strongest moment on the ride but the bunnyhops are comparable and every other hill gives really strong floater air.

^^--I don't recall any floater air. Maybe there was one mixed in there with all the thigh-pain inducing hills and I missed it. I did find the big train to get a bit lumbering and awkward on the smaller later elements but the yanks were strong.

Tight restraints can't eliminate airtime even if they kill your enjoyment, the forces are the same and not subjective. Even if the restraint kept you from moving at all, with ejector air the force switches from weight on your butt to pressure against the bar. There has been claims of no airtime on coasters where you are pressed against the restraints hard for extended periods, which is absurd. Maybe it doesn't feel like airtime to some people to be pressed up against the restraint snug as a bug (as long as it stays there) but the fact remains that the coaster is spending airtime potential much faster to create these strong forces. I find myself that good B&M floater causes a freaky butterflies in my stomach sensation that is completely missing in these Intamins, but they lack intensity.

All you need to do is go to youtube, search for any rider videos/reverse POVs from when they had the VR on it last year - there are tons of them but I couldn't find TPR so I'm not linking any others. But you can clearly see riders getting airtime.

Even with my fat meaty thighs resulting in me being stapled on every single ride I took on Superman I still was getting air throughout the ride, front back and middle. The hill right next to the photo booth is obviously the strongest moment on the ride but the bunnyhops are comparable and every other hill gives really strong floater air.

Here’s the video you were looking for. My chubby self can easily show you the airtime!

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

The 2018 Calendar has been posted. A few things of note:

Opening day is Saturday, April 7th.

Fright Fest appears to start on September 22nd. Once October hits, closings jump from 10PM to 11PM.

Holiday in the Park appears to start on September 23rd, which is Black Friday. Personally I think they're insane for not starting a week earlier. Great Adventure does that and they generally make bank that weekend. Starting Holiday in the Park earlier is much safer than pushing it later since weather will likely be much better and it will likely bring large crowds. Hopefully they change that.

Right now, Holiday in the Park is going to end on the 30th (which is a Sunday). Hopefully they push it to the 1st.

Glad to see this year's overly frigid temperatures haven't caused Holiday in the Park to get the ax! I'm definitely going to be there for opening day.

One other interesting thing I noticed is that they only open half the water park on a few days, specifically the South Harbor area with most of the newer slides. I've never noticed that in the past, so is this a new thing?

They've done that before. It's basically a staffing move but it's generally on slower days so it works out.

It completely makes sense, but I never recall that being on the schedule. In the past I'd show up to the water park only to find the North area closed.

If everyone who enters the gate is a passholder, is it really anything special? -- but in all seriousness that's nice of them to do something like that; those early hours at parks are always the best time to go. *cough cp cough*

I'd be curious to see the percentage of passholders vs one day ticket holders on any given weekend. We all know Six Flags practically gives away their season passes but I always wondered what their ticket sales looked like comparatively and how many people end up buying a ticket + parking for the same price as a season pass...

That would definitely be an incentive for me to make sure I have whatever pass qualifies me for it, as long as I thought I'd be likely to visit on days it's offered (and if it's truly worth it considering the rides open and the number of people taking advantage). But since it's open to all passholders, I guess I'm already golden (although my pass is of a non-metallic variety).

With John moving on to Great Adventure here’s the official press release from SF’s announcing Pete Carmichael as the new Park President of SFNE.

AGAWAM, MA. ─ January 12, 2018 ─ Peter Carmichael has been named Park President of Six Flags New England, the region’s largest theme park, effective January 1, 2018. He succeeds John Winkler who has taken over as Park President at Six Flags Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor in New Jersey. The announcement is a homecoming for Carmichael as he served as the Operations Manager & Director at the New England property from 2004-2015. Carmichael is an avid theme park enthusiast with more than 20 years of industry experience.

Carmichael most recently served as Park President at Six Flags St. Louis in Missouri. He is committed to providing guests with exceptional thrills and customer service. “I am excited to rejoin New England’s largest theme park,” Carmichael said. ““I am eager to rejoin this experienced and passionate team as we continue to delight our guests with innovative, world-class rides and entertainment like the all-new Holiday in the Park that premiered in winter of 2017.”

Carmichael joined Six Flags Entertainment Corporation as an operations intern at Six Flags New England during its branding year in 2000 and launched one of the world’s most lauded steel coasters, SUPERMAN™ the Ride. Throughout his time at the Thrill Capital of New England, Carmichael quickly rose through the ranks, holding a variety of managerial roles including Rides Supervisor, Operations Manager and Operations Director.

Carmichael graduated from Penn State University with a degree in Commercial Tourism. During his career, he has participated as an instructor within industry safety seminars and leader within the company on several new initiatives and projects. In his free time, Carmichael enjoys visiting theme parks throughout the country with his family.