TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Efteling Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

The demolition of Python has started

26240597_10156114157143854_4157233010176722934_o.thumb.jpg.32f9f2f02635353b02f4595b4c4ab262.jpg

After months of preparations, the time has finally come: the demolition of Python in the Efteling has started. Some parts of the track are already removed. They started with the helix at the end of the rollercoaster.

The 350,000 kilos of steel is cut into pieces with cutting torches. Then the roller coaster parts are cut into pieces of about 3,000 kilos with large hydraulic pliers, which later will be carried away and melted.

Since last Saturday, Python has been closed for a major renovation, in which virtually the entire track is being replaced. The demolition of the coaster from 1981 will take two and a half weeks. The installation of the new track sections will take seven to eight weeks.

At the same time, the operating system, brakes and gates in the station are also being replaced. The first turn and the lift hill will stay the same. The renewed Python must be operational by the end of March. The layout of the coaster does not change.

26240455_10156114157048854_5035502147726795264_o.thumb.jpg.7f340484bd4795de2143f58e96f5acd6.jpg

26756498_10156114157053854_904677204010389863_o.thumb.jpg.a0821b1d0d39d49cd9103da95d64eaa9.jpg

26757042_10156114157058854_5746335244019681569_o.thumb.jpg.e5738adf93389cba498d040d83243b87.jpg

Source and Source

Those are some awesome pictures! I love the one with the hydraulic cutters tearing through the track with bits and pieces flying everywhere!

As for the retracking, I never thought there would come a day where a standard cookie-cutter loop/corkscrew coaster would receive completely new track. I assume it must be a very popular ride with the locals??

^When it first opened back in 1981, it was the biggest, longest and fastest coaster in Europe. It was something that no one had ever seen before, and it was located at a park that practically only had fairytales. It would have been "easy" to replace it with a coaster that is bigger, longer, faster and has more inversions. But unlike most parks, Efteling cares about their history. This is like a real tribute to the coaster that made Efteling the park it is today - one of the best.

Pretty impressive that they're saying it'll be ready to run by the end of March. Like Elissa said, it's just a Vekoma loop screw. They must really love that thing! Or think it's a significant part of their history.

I know the footprint of the ride isn't huge, but I can't help to think that they could have put in a more thrilling looper since you could count Baron as their "step up" thrill coaster.

Efteling is a park that is very proud of itself and its history. I understand why they are renewing it - to preserve a piece of history that really was a milestone for this park. Plus, there are a lot of locals that grew up with this ride as being their first major coaster. They don't do this just with Python either, they renew almost every attraction, building or fairytale (with pretty much the only big exception being Pegasus). And honestly, I really appreciate that they care so much about their older rides.

Efteling is a very big park with a lot of space where they can build new rides and themed areas. I don't know if it has been mentioned here yet, but in the next couple of years they are going to expand on a whole new plot of land located between Vogel Rok and Python, next to the current park, with a total area of 80,000 square meters. According to the Chairman of the Board of Directors, they are going to open a major new attraction with this expansion.

What I am trying to say, without disrespecting someone's opinion, is it that if the park had a shortage of land, then I would have said the same: "Just scrap it and build something new". But they have plenty of land were they can build new rides and attractions, so it is nice to see that this piece of history will be preserved.

Efteling is a park that is very proud of itself and its history. I understand why they are renewing it - to preserve a piece of history that really was a milestone for this park. Plus, there are a lot of locals that grew up with this ride as being their first major coaster.

Don't take this directed at you specifically (well you seem to be Belgian rather than Dutch anyway so free pass ) but I'm sure anyone who has read anything even slightly related to efteling online already knows this and has heard it roughly way too many times

I think I'm going to look this weekend. Not sure yet but this I have to see in real life.

About preserving it. The Python is a different level of history then any other ride in the park. Their first coaster, it literally mapped the park back in the day and Many Dutch people have a strong history with the ride, for many it was their first big ride. I personally believe the park loses many people if the ride would be gone in the upcoming 20 years. When I tell people I like roller coasters I always deal with people that connect it with the Python and the Efteling despite the numerous better coasters in the Netherlands alone. Heck even Walibi is known only for their coasters but seldom people make that first connection. Everybody knows the white track, green columns and red trains, only a picture of the ride and people know it's the Python from the Efteling.

Pegasus did not have that, it was a ride it got old and wasn't functioning the way it should it was time for change. The Bob would also be just a ride, and one I'm rather happy to see go it hurts me a lot.

Anyways it would have been better if they evolved for the fans for the change, but it would have cost a lot of their identity.

Unpopular opinion amongst Efteling Fanboys - It's a 36 year old Vekoma Corkscrew...it should have just been scrapped.

Agreed. I visited Efteling for the first time last year. Almost in the park was so nicely themed and put together... then there was Python.

^ As much as I love roller coasters, that video is so oddly satisfying to watch. I wonder why.

So I had no idea this was happening, so they are just like Nor'eastering this thing basically?

I just remember there was a Python plus design. Oh the things that could have been. To clarify to those who have no idea what I'm talking about, Python Plus takes the current Python and cuts out the corkscrews and keeps them safe. So after the looping and the turn around the coaster takes a dip and an bunny hill before going into a tunnel and into an Immlemann then it would hit a mcbr before riding up a second lift hill which ends in a fall with a twist and two more bunny hils before a second mcbr. Then we have a horseshoe and we take the corkscrews from earlier and place the after that going underneath the current lift hill and between the looping before a gentle turn takes you back to the helix and the brakes.

Now I'm aware that both Joris en de draak and Kombuis are in the way for that lay-out. Also legal issues may come in play because if I'm correct both Vekoma and the Efteling worked on the design. But still I would have loved to see them make Python plus a real thing, like I said yesterday I'm afraid the park might lose something when the time comes for the Python, this would have been a great midway, it ups the ride bring a new experience and retain the feel of the Python still active.

There hasn't been any word if they're gonna add some theming to it at the same time has there? Cause it would be nice if they themed the queue line, maybe got some music made for it and themed the station as well. Wouldn't be hard to come up with a theme either, make it something about escaping the Pythons lair/nest or something.

Unpopular opinion amongst Efteling Fanboys - It's a 36 year old Vekoma Corkscrew...it should have just been scrapped.

I think that many fans also wanted it to go, but for some reason the Efteling is of the opinion that the Python is a fond memory for a large part of it's visitors and as such should be saved. I don't agree, the 4,5 million euro's could have been used elsewhere better.

The other problem for the park is that the Bobbaan is also needs attention. The ride has been closed for about 1,5 month now due to changes in it's opening policy after a series of problems earlier this year. Speculation around the ride is that the Efteling is trying to get it working again untill they are ready to replace it. The track might also get the Python treatment, but since it doesn't have the same impact in the Netherlands as the Python a replacement is more likely as far as I've heard.

The problem with both rides were to be expected considering their age, but also come at a bad time since the park is currently working on expanding the park eastwards. Since they will be able to build rides up to 50 or 60 meters a big coaster is expected there for the 2020-2025 period. We'll see, I think the park really need a good big rollercoaster. The coasters they have at the moment are oke for the demographic, but a bigger ride would really put them on the map (a bit more since they may cross the 5 million visitors mark this or next year)

I don't agree, the 4,5 million euro's could have been used elsewhere better.

True, I'd rather see a modern vekoma looping coaster replacing python but since Efteling isn't going to cut that money on other investments (hopefully) I don't really care about how much this track replacement costs at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much activity in this thread...

Anyway, the new Python is going up nicely. Both loops are already back, and they just completed the new-and-improved turnaround.

So much smoother now.

20180208213911-62508bc3-xl.thumb.jpg.95cacefa9f0dc1472f75461daefded13.jpg

20180208213838-9b2520a0-xx.thumb.jpg.60d0c94f162d5d3e4f6f69412367ed84.jpg

DVh7TLEW0AE2HtB.thumb.jpg.553ce1117ff09a66c73dc1db0b84575e.jpg

Older pic showing the new loops:

20180205173619-f099ed45-xl.thumb.jpg.826c974ddd9a89e99cc141f70dce0ce0.jpg

As you can see in all of the photos, the supports sometimes look a little funky. This is the result of re-using the old concrete footings even though the track layout is slightly different, as well as insisting that every track segment is now attached "perpendicular" to the support.

And a recently revealed fact: the entire project costs 4.5 million euro.

Bonus pic:

20180208213658-f0420c8d-xl.thumb.jpg.66bcef9c147c9f2356ccdef142d10b5d.jpg

photos by plaetjesmakers.nl & eftelwesley