TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Devil's advocate here for those trains on Magnum:

I don't think the reduction in capacity would be all that noticeable on your average day anyways. I went to Point about 15 times last year and probably 15-20 the previous season (I know, small sample size). I also don't go on Saturdays. BUT, I rarely saw Magnum running 3 trains. On top of that, the crew had the two middle cars roped off for the majority of the day. With these reductions in capacity the line still never went further then the bottom of the station steps. So, I don't think newer trains that are easier to get in and out of, with restraints that are easier to check, on top of a shorter train to increase dispatch times would necessarily "KILL" capacity on a ride that has already seen a drastic reduction in ridership with rides like MF, TTD and Maverick and now SteVen in the same park.

Will these come to CP? Probably not, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing something done with the Magnum trains. Even if it was to change the fiberglass bodies to something a little more open and easier to get in and out of. Just my thoughts.

There are also a lot of other factors to consider like the weight of the trains and how fast they would track. Magnum almost never goes down for wind which is a rarity at Cedar Point. With different trains that track differently, that could change. I'm not saying it will, but there are a lot of factors to consider here. It's not as simple as slapping the new trains on the ride and calling it a day.

I don't think the reduction in capacity would be all that noticeable on your average day anyways. I went to Point about 15 times last year and probably 15-20 the previous season (I know, small sample size). I also don't go on Saturdays.

You can't base the need for capacity on slow days. Of course capacity doesn't matter on slow days. You go to the park more than I do, but I often DO go on Saturdays and I can confirm that putting these trains on Magnum (if it could even work) would suck.

a ride that has already seen a drastic reduction in ridership with rides like MF, TTD and Maverick and now SteVen in the same park.

Magnum does more riders than every ride you just mentioned except for Millennium Force. Obviously we don't know how many riders Steel Vengeance will do, but Magnum would have to start sinking for real and fall all the way through the earth's crust and end up in China to do less riders than an RMC with 24 passenger trains even though Magnum won't have Early Entry and Steel Vengeance will.

While it may have had a drastic reduction in ridership compared to... say... 1999. It came in 4th in the park in 2016 and almost beat Valravn in it's opening season. Aside from that, only Gatekeeper and Millennium Force did more riders.

I haven't seen too many reports on Space World, but I'd be interested in knowing how different Titan was before and after those new trains were added.

I'd be willing to bet they'd be more comfortable for riders who don't tighten their seat belt to the max, but like others have said, there are a variety of factors such as wind and capacity to consider. There's also cost. I love how Magnum almost never has a wait compared to the park's big 3 and doesn't go down even on windy days.

I also don't go on Saturdays. BUT, I rarely saw Magnum running 3 trains. On top of that, the crew had the two middle cars roped off for the majority of the day. With these reductions in capacity the line still never went further then the bottom of the station steps. So, I don't think newer trains that are easier to get in and out of, with restraints that are easier to check, on top of a shorter train to increase dispatch times would necessarily "KILL" capacity on a ride that has already seen a drastic reduction in ridership with rides like MF, TTD and Maverick and now SteVen in the same park.

Magnum requires a certain amount of staff to run all 3 trains, I believe 5 attendants checking restraints are required. This year was pretty bad staffing wise so that 5th attendant was cut pretty often resulting in a lot of 2 train operations.

Regarding speeding up dispatches, I've heard Magnum can send roughly 40 trains an hour at the max so even with shorter trains, there is still a time limitation with dispatches. So you go from a potential 1,440 rph to 960 rph. And while Magnum's ridership isn't as high as it used to, it still pulls some impressive numbers. On over crowded days, it can pull some of the highest numbers in the park. I heard there were a few days the crew did 18,000 riders in a single day.

I haven't seen too many reports on Space World, but I'd be interested in knowing how different Titan was before and after those new trains were added.

I'd be willing to bet they'd be more comfortable for riders who don't tighten their seat belt to the max, but like others have said, there are a variety of factors such as wind and capacity to consider. There's also cost. I love how Magnum almost never has a wait compared to the park's big 3 and doesn't go down even on windy days.

The trains were certainly more comfortable and felt less like a trashcan rolling down a hill, but they weren't glass smooth or anything.

The trains were certainly more comfortable and felt less like a trashcan rolling down a hill, but they weren't glass smooth or anything.

Thanks! "Less like a trashcan rolling down a hill." Sounds like Titan was quite the ride.

One other thing I think could go a long way to making Magnum more comfortable while keeping the current trains would be to add some padding around those lap bars. Not sure if that's feasible or even an option.

I mean buying some fairly cheap trains from a defunct park isn't the craziest idea I've ever heard, especially if S&S can manufacture a 3rd if they wanted.

Cedar Point is not in the habit of installing second-hand goods, so I don't so it happening to Magnum.

I mean buying some fairly cheap trains from a defunct park isn't the craziest idea I've ever heard, especially if S&S can manufacture a 3rd if they wanted.

Cedar Point is not in the habit of installing second-hand goods, so I don't so it happening to Magnum.

Well....except for the fact that almost all of the Planet Snoopy rides came from GL. As well as a lot of other things you might not notice like light poles from the area that was around Steel Venom at GL. So it's not like they've NEVER installed second hand goods from a closed park!