TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

The parks blog posted an update to Downtown Disney. D Street is being replaced with a Home Store!

Parks Blog

New Dining, Retail and Family-Friendly Entertainment Coming to Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort in Early 2018

Michael Ramirez

by Michael Ramirez, Public Relations Manager, Disney Destinations

Lots of exciting changes are arriving at Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort in early 2018! With new dining and entertainment experiences, here’s a peek at what to expect at the beginning of next year.

The new, groundbreaking hyper-reality experience, Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire by ILMxLAB and The VOID, will transport guests deep into the Star Wars universe, walking freely and untethered throughout the multisensory experience with friends and family. In groups of four, teams will go undercover as stormtroopers to capture Imperial intelligence vital to the budding rebellion’s survival. Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire will open on January 5, 2018. Tickets available now at TheVOID.com.

Splitsville Luxury Lanes is a dynamic recreation destination offering a unique combination of dining, drinks, bowling and entertainment. The Downtown Disney District location will feature 20 bowling lanes interspersed throughout the location, four dining areas (indoors and out), more than 25 flat screen TVs, and the ability to host both live performers and DJs. Splitsville will open in early 2018.

sdkjh4756323.jpg.12686378ea3abd2edc229ca67fcd9945.jpg

Also, D-Street will close on January 2 and reopen in early 2018 as a reimagined retail space that offers Disney fans a variety of Disney-themed home goods. Guests will find a curated assortment of products that will change with each season. Not to worry, most of the unique items found at D-Street are available throughout the resort and shopDisney.com!

This is just the beginning! We’ll share details soon about other new and exciting experiences headed to Downtown Disney District in 2018.

The parks Blog posted again!

Parks Blog

PPP1280-624x352.jpg.70739e92078ece2bb3d723f96299d2be.jpg

Tue, December 5, 2017

12 Days of Disney Parks Christmas: Memorable New Story Elements Add to the Fun at the Pixar Play Parade During Pixar Fest Celebration

Erin Glover

by Erin Glover, Editorial Content Director, Disneyland Resort

Pixar Play Parade returns April 13 to the Disneyland Resort – this time, at Disneyland park! Part of the limited-time Pixar Fest celebration, this delightful parade will bring even more of your favorite Pixar stories to life with the addition of three new story elements.

1026-PPP-lamp.thumb.jpg.b7a808c54b5ebd4bccb32945ae909f07.jpg

The parade will begin as all Pixar films have, with an appearance by the iconic and adorable Pixar Lamp. Rolling ahead of the famous lamp will be the familiar yellow Pixar Ball, making a cameo in Pixar Play Parade, as it has in many Pixar films.

PPP-UP900.thumb.jpg.13b3276b392f30646c4df7a69a9832ba.jpg

Also joining the parade are characters from the beloved film, “Up.” Wilderness Explorer Russell will appear astride the colorful flightless bird, Kevin, with Carl Fredricksen and Dug following behind amid green foliage and snipe chicks, with Carl’s tethered house floating above.

1025-inside-out.thumb.jpg.61b43920e5a6d52f3aec470dd10da428.jpg

Another popular Pixar story coming to Pixar Play Parade is “Inside Out.” Perched atop colorful memory orbs, Joy and Sadness take flight aboard Bing Bong’s rocket wagon, with Bing Bong himself cheering them on!

Don’t miss these new story elements and the return of Pixar Play Parade, beginning April 13 at Disneyland park. And check out the rest of the fun to come during Pixar Fest here!

Yeah exactly my thoughts as well. It will do little to impact the crowds. At best it might impact Sundays, if the retention rate for that AP is not 100%. If anything, it might be even more challenging crowd wise next year. I think instead of restricting pass sales, they should have pulled the trigger of the expansion of main street they rumored a long time ago, and developed a use for some of the dead venues of DL.

Both SoCal and SoCal Select present a lot of unique crowd challenges and limiting either one will help with overall crowd logistics for the Resort. Believe it or not, retention rates for a lot of the passes are not as great as you might expect, although the last time DLR did this pass retention rates did improve a little. Still, *any* tightening of So Cal will have an impact on overall Resort crowds and logistics, even if minor to the casual guest.

I would imagine that by the time Star Wars opens, only Deluxe and premium will be sold.

If the resort is smart about it, yes. Often times in these conversations concerns over immediate revenue loss trump operational needs to secure longer term revenue growth... but not always.

.....It'll cry at the first 8 minutes.

This is so, so true. I am constantly amazed how Disney and Pixar deal

with this stuff, and all the times they do it, are amazingly insightful and tender.

And then around the end part, when he looks back through the scrapbook. I started up crying, again.

As part of the 12 Days of Disney Parks Christmas, the Parks Blog has pasted about the changes coming to Paradise Pier.

Disney Parks Blog

mlasd-624x352.jpg.a97902e88ede792c22a331306fea9be4.jpg

Thu, December 14, 2017

12 Days of Disney Parks Christmas: Working Model of Pixar Pier Shows Newly Themed Areas Coming Summer 2018 to Disney California Adventure Park

Erin Glover

Coming summer 2018, Pixar Pier will transform the southern shore of Paradise Bay at Disney California Adventure park with whimsical neighborhoods filled with characters from some of your favorite Pixar stories. Today, we are bringing you a first look at this transformation through photos of a working model now in use at Walt Disney Imagineering.

Featuring newly themed attractions, foods and merchandise, this area will introduce new neighborhoods representing beloved Pixar stories. The neighborhood inspired by “The Incredibles” will be anchored by the Incredicoaster, which will feature a new mid-century-modern-style loading area inspired by the Parr family home as seen in the upcoming “Incredibles 2.”

2085672528_PixarPier.jpg.9483acf43b5cd71da52730a82d8eca22.jpg

Another of the neighborhoods will be a celebration of many of your favorite Pixar stories. In this neighborhood, each of the 24 gondolas on what is now Mickey’s Fun Wheel will feature different pairs of Pixar pals, and at the Games of the Boardwalk, all of the midway games will be inspired by characters from films such as “a bug’s life,” “WALL·E” and the Pixar short “La Luna.”

Pixar Pier will open summer 2018, during the first-ever Pixar Fest celebration, which begins April 13. The celebration will include the new “Together Forever – A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular” fireworks spectacular as well as the return of Pixar Play Parade and “Paint the Night” parade, and much more throughout the entire Disneyland Resort.

Large photo

So, there hasn't been any specifics about whats really coming to the new Pier, but that model does show some changes to the store in front of the Fun wheel. Currently, the store in that space is Sideshow Shirts. The Games of the Boardwalk are directly to the left and the facades are unchanged based on the model.

So, it seems the facade will change quite a bit to be more grand. Maybe the store is going away, and something new will go there!

Here is a fun 360 degree view of the area as it currently looks, Clicky

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

The photo of the Millennium Falcon ride looks incredible.

As for Pixar Pier...it is what it is. I finally thought the park had a cohesive theme with the Victorian boardwalk, National Forest area, Hollywoodland with the Red Trams, Carsland themed to Route 66, and the Carthay Circle Theater entrance. It was finally "California" Adventure. Now you have Soarin' around the World, a Little Mermaid ride adjacent to Pixar Pier, with two other Pixar themed areas right next door, and a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction towering over Hollywoodland.

I know I need to get used to it because Disney just bought 21st Century Fox so these types of changes will probably be happening all over the DIsney Park properties with them trying to squeeze in as many IPs as possible. At the end of the day it's good to see them investing in the parks and the parks doing well.

Nice looking hallway. It could be a part of a queue.

Or, part of the supposed "walking part" between riding the vehicles.

Great to see some interior shots of stuff, now.

By the way, the slightly lifted panel in the floor (to the right),

makes me think that it's not anything but a walkway of some kind.

Nice looking hallway. It could be a part of a queue.

Or, part of the supposed "walking part" between riding the vehicles.

Great to see some interior shots of stuff, now.

By the way, the slightly lifted panel in the floor (to the right),

makes me think that it's not anything but a walkway of some kind.

This is for the Falcon ride. Insiders have been saying for nearly a year it's a turntable and the construction confirms that there will be 4 total. The doors open, you step into the cockpit, doors close, your cockpit moves and the next one on the turntable lines up. It's going to be a neat ride system in action. Apparently this isn't an actual build either, one of the insiders mentioned it's render.

^ Ah, very cool to read, if true. I wondered, after seeing the actual wheels before they were enclosed,

how they were going to pull that off. Loading and unloading, I mean. This looks very plausible.

Insiders have been saying for nearly a year it's a turntable and the construction confirms that there will be 4 total. The doors open, you step into the cockpit, doors close, your cockpit moves and the next one on the turntable lines up. It's going to be a neat ride system in action.

That's a really cool concept and a great way for the cockpit to be empty when new guests are boarding. It seems like it may have similar problems to an omnimover however when the load/unload times take longer than anticipated for whatever reason. It isn't a big deal on a ride like Haunted Mansion to sit in the same spot for a minute but in a simulator type ride that might detract from the ride a little bit more. You say there's 4 turntables but any idea how many "cockpits" are supposed to be on one turntable?

Falcon.thumb.jpg.dcad783540a6fe48a8c2674cfff91410.jpg

That hallway looks like it'll lead right into this cockpit.

I thinking, just start with the number four.

Four cockpits, that only travel 3/4 of the wheel.

Let's say, load at 12, and disembark at 9.

This allows for such slow downs, if they occur.

Also, they may not put exact numbers of pods on all wheels.

They may have one of the four be for slow loading guests. Those

in wheel chairs but can get out of them for the attraction? Or

pods that actually have space for wheelchairs to be loaded into?

It's going to be quite something, when it's all up and running.

Insiders have been saying for nearly a year it's a turntable and the construction confirms that there will be 4 total. The doors open, you step into the cockpit, doors close, your cockpit moves and the next one on the turntable lines up. It's going to be a neat ride system in action.

That's a really cool concept and a great way for the cockpit to be empty when new guests are boarding. It seems like it may have similar problems to an omnimover however when the load/unload times take longer than anticipated for whatever reason. It isn't a big deal on a ride like Haunted Mansion to sit in the same spot for a minute but in a simulator type ride that might detract from the ride a little bit more. You say there's 4 turntables but any idea how many "cockpits" are supposed to be on one turntable?

[attachment=0]Falcon.jpg[/attachment]

It'll be interesting if they have leave some extra time around load and unload in case of slow downs. Maybe after landing or however it ends, it'll have some stuff going on (droids being droids, people running by, etc) so you aren't just staring at a black screen? I have literally no idea how many cockpits and I don't know if anyone ever mentioned how many there will be. I think one of them drew up how it was roughly going to look but I'm not sure where it was posted.

DQkidWkW0AA4rUT.jpg:large

This is at WDW, but same setup applies at DL.

Credit goes to Bioreconstruct:

Here's what has me curious:

There is only ONE Millennium Falcon in the Star Wars Galaxy, and you're there to pilot it. And we can guess that Disney is likely designing this to fool you into believing there is only one loading area, because there is only one Falcon. However, we know there are 4 turn tables. But, we don't truly know how the ride will operate or how those tables work.

So, I am excited to see how the ride actually operates and is able to achieve this. There is really only 3 options:

1 - There are 4 separate tables, and 4 separate load/unload areas.

2 - There are 2 separate table groups, and they are connected. So one vehicle goes around 2 tables. This would only have 2 load/unload areas.

3 - There is 1, giant, 4 table ride with one load/unload area.

I can't wait to find out the answers to these types of questions, because its fun to think about the engineering of this stuff!

Here's what has me curious:

There is only ONE Millennium Falcon in the Star Wars Galaxy, and you're there to pilot it. And we can guess that Disney is likely designing this to fool you into believing there is only one loading area, because there is only one Falcon. However, we know there are 4 turn tables. But, we don't truly know how the ride will operate or how those tables work.

So, I am excited to see how the ride actually operates and is able to achieve this. There is really only 3 options:

1 - There are 4 separate tables, and 4 separate load/unload areas.

2 - There are 2 separate table groups, and they are connected. So one vehicle goes around 2 tables. This would only have 2 load/unload areas.

3 - There is 1, giant, 4 table ride with one load/unload area.

I can't wait to find out the answers to these types of questions, because its fun to think about the engineering of this stuff!

Ah, here's the exact post I was looking for:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/star-wars-land-announced-for-disneys-hollywood-studios.903110/page-560#post-7912995

Everything in that post should explain everything you're looking for.

marni1971 is truly a great person with a wealth of info.

As part of the 12 Days of Disney Parks Christmas, the Parks Blog has pasted about the changes coming to Paradise Pier...AGAIN!

Disney Parks Blog

Coaster.jpg.a00cdf15047ad059b53b49dcbcfa10a6.jpg

Fri, December 15, 2017

12 Days of Disney Parks Christmas: The Incredibles Join the High-Speed Action When Incredicoaster Opens this Summer at Disney California Adventure Park

Erin Glover

This summer will bring a transformed land to Disney California Adventure park with Pixar Pier, featuring the Incredicoaster – a new experience featuring characters from “The Incredibles.” A super combination of character figures, lighting and special effects will bring the action to life as the Parr family races alongside you in an attempt to catch baby Jack-Jack! In the video below, the Imagineers creating this experience tell you more about the Incredicoaster story and how they approach storytelling on a high-speed attraction.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Experience the Incredicoaster this summer at Disney California Adventure park!

This does make me excited for the new ride. It's going to be more then just the station, the tubes will now apparently be show scenes.

Also, there is quote a bit of unreleased art in the background of the video if you look for it.