TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Yesterday (10/29/17) was the last day ever for the Finnish Fling, our beloved Chance Rotor. It has been at the park since 1973 when the park opened and was one of 7 original rides at the park... this is the 3rd original ride we've lost in the past 4 seasons. Good news though, it sounds like it will continue to operate in a museum. It's been said Chance Rides actually bought the ride back and plans to refurb it for this "museum". Anyways, I took my last rides yesterday, and actually got on the very last ride... ever. Eric from the park was extremely generous in allowing me to hop on even without donating to be on the last ride, but kudos to those who did, as it went to a good cause. Below are a few pictures of the ride on it's last day of operation. RIP Fling 1973-2017

IMG_3063.thumb.JPG.2deac482ed968fd3d207ccf7a88feb0c.JPG

IMG_3061.thumb.JPG.cd7a2dd9f7cda014849e7edc1b9a3c0c.JPG

Finnish Fling before closing yesterday for good

IMG_3065.thumb.JPG.71aa2d0bdd9ab15d566ec8336488cb8e.JPG

IMG_3071.thumb.JPG.ab69e4da245a7e07c89d4c47ae56fb22.JPG

Kinda sad to see such a classic flat ride scrapped. Looking forward to see what the future holds though.

Maybe you should read the above text, the ride is being refurbished for Chance's museum and will still be operating.

Kinda sad to see such a classic flat ride scrapped. Looking forward to see what the future holds though.

Maybe you should read the above text, the ride is being refurbished for Chance's museum and will still be operating.

I can't read apparently. Ignore me please.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys think I should go to Holiday in the Park at Six Flags St. Louis or Winterfest at Worlds of Fun this year? I went to Holiday in the Park last year and I absolutely LOVED it. Worlds of Fun is closer to Springfield, plus it is cheaper, but there are only two major coasters running and I have no idea what to expect. Six Flags St. Louis had all their coaster operating last year except Screaming Eagle and the Boss. What do you guys think I should do?

Honestly, if you don't already have a season pass to one of those two, then stick to Silver Dollar City. I don't think Six Flags' event is enough to justify a one day ticket, but it's nice if you already have the season pass. Don't have any experience with Winterfest, but I don't plan to go this year. Doesn't seem like enough to justify the cost to me, but nice for passholders.

Thanks for the advice! I was really leaning towards Holiday in the Park. I LOVED how they had the campfires throughout the park. It really was an amazing experience last year.

I don't have a season pass to Six Flags St. Louis, but I do have one for Silver Dollar City. I've already gone about four times since the start of an Old Time Christmas. I wish SDC would do those campfires, those are really fun. And I think it would be totally cool if they did a little snow hill right by the old Water Toboggan tower like at Six Flags Over Texas! But yeah, the price is a bit high for Holiday in the Park, it is about fifty dollars I think. Winterfest is only about twenty online, but there aren't as many attractions open. Plus I just don't know what to expect. I REALLY want to go to Winterfest at Kings Island since they are doing the ice skating, plus the tree on the tower looks like it will be SPECTACULAR. Though I'm curious to see how the tree on Steel Hawk will turn out.

^ Is that crown (and hair) on her head, BIG (and pink) enough?

Yeah that's a bit extra.

This is actually a pretty good lineup of rides, and it makes me wonder if we'll see Dorney attempt a Winterfest. They have a ton of good flats in a central area they could have open for it, the kiddie area right in the middle of that, and then keep most of the coasters closed except for like Thunderhawk and Wild Mouse. With Hershey and Great Adv having so much success I can see it maybe happening down the line?

Thanks for the advice! I was really leaning towards Holiday in the Park. I LOVED how they had the campfires throughout the park. It really was an amazing experience last year.

I don't have a season pass to Six Flags St. Louis, but I do have one for Silver Dollar City. I've already gone about four times since the start of an Old Time Christmas. I wish SDC would do those campfires, those are really fun. And I think it would be totally cool if they did a little snow hill right by the old Water Toboggan tower like at Six Flags Over Texas! But yeah, the price is a bit high for Holiday in the Park, it is about fifty dollars I think. Winterfest is only about twenty online, but there aren't as many attractions open. Plus I just don't know what to expect. I REALLY want to go to Winterfest at Kings Island since they are doing the ice skating, plus the tree on the tower looks like it will be SPECTACULAR. Though I'm curious to see how the tree on Steel Hawk will turn out.

Worlds of Fun Winterfest has the ice skating as well.

Just get a Six Flags membership, it's ridiculously cheap and they'll probably have a great deal on them on Black Friday / Cyber Monday. They pay for themselves in 2 visits, sometimes one visit if the sale is good enough and if you factor in parking.

That's a good idea! Thank you! I think I'll definitely get one of those Six Flags passes for next year because I plan on visiting four of the Six Flags parks over the summer. That will make it really handy to be able to go to Holiday in the Park next year!

Nice! Where are they going to have it?

Nice! Where are they going to have it?

From my best guess of the map, the Festhaus Pavilion

I’ve been to winterfest. As far as adult stuff, I’m not sure but

It’s really pretty in the park. I enjoyed just walking around.

We didn’t watch any shows this time around, but will next time.

There is definitely enough for kids. Cookie decorating, visiting Santa Claus and other

Cast. Santa has his own building that you wind through as you wait to see him.

I was impressed for it being the first year.

The only negative would be when riding the train there is nothing to look

At in the shanty town around the turn around.

Other than that WOF did a great job. You can even get baileys/ peppermint schnapps in your hot

Chocolate. They also had 4 fire pits and propane heaters with chairs down by Auntie Anne’s