Photo TR: Ccron10 Heads to Japan

Fuji-Q-Highland Has Been Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Photo TR: Ccron10 Heads to Japan

Postby Dombot » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:59 am

Nice report! Gekion looks like the weirdest thing ever and I love it. :lol:
1. Mako 2. Kumba 3. Cheetah Hunt 4. Space Mountain (WDW) 5. Mine Blower

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby JordyC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 am

I am really enjoying this report! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to get to Japan one day, and explore all that it has to offer. It looks like a very interesting country.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa-Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Goliath - Walibi Holland 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 158 || Parks: 31

Phantasialand Wintertraum || Movie Park Germany || Nigloland || Walygator Parc || Bakken || Tivoli Gardens || PortAventura || Ferrari Land || Plopsaland De Panne || Efteling || Liseberg

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:19 pm

SharkTums wrote:^^Just did the same research. Yup. Ocean Sunfish appears to be gone. Not moved into the main aquarium or anything. KT is kind of sad...she was planning to get married in that building!!!!

I will now continue to do more research and see what I can find out!!!!

Edit - Still looking to see if the fish died or they moved him to another aquarium, but the new dolphins were put in that tank in June 2016.

I wasn't familiar with the Ocean Sunfish, and I just took a look on YouTube. What an astonishing species. Quite beautiful. Hope you find out where/if it was relocated. (Or else KT may never get married and will be traveling to theme parks with you and Robb right into Social Security.) :lol:

Alice

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:20 pm

^Yeah, we only have one in all of the US (Monterrey Bay Aquarium).

Luckily Japan has quite a few others, but the way that tank was setup and presented was just beautiful. Sadly, I couldn't find anything about him moving so I assume he died. He had been there for quite some time and was looking a little sickly back in 2015.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:10 pm

SharkTums wrote:^Yeah, we only have one in all of the US (Monterrey Bay Aquarium).

Luckily Japan has quite a few others, but the way that tank was setup and presented was just beautiful. Sadly, I couldn't find anything about him moving so I assume he died. He had been there for quite some time and was looking a little sickly back in 2015.

:( Sorry to hear that.

Alice

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:51 am

Joypolis is sensory overload taken to an extreme. Some of the bizarre "haunts" are lot of fun.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Halian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Joypolis looks like my kind of place, and I wish we still had huge arcades like that in my neck of the woods. :(

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Rill'o'beily wrote:Nice update! Joyopolis looks like my kinda paradise regarding all the lighting but I'm not sure if I'd be that keen on all the simulators :Pr

On another note is that Cosmoworld enterprise a real Skylab? If it's real are there more than that and the one at CW?

I think it was possibly built by Senyo, a Japanese rides manufacturer and park company (more on that later). It certainly didn't ride like a Schwarzkopf or Huss.

jedimaster1227 wrote:Thanks for another great update! I'd still love to get back to Japan to explore everything beyond Tokyo that I've missed the last two trips, but I continue to live vicariously through reports like these in the interim.

That's what I want to do as well as spend a little more time at Joypolis, Sea Paradise, and the others. I wouldn't mind doing both Greenland parks as well as some others.

Halian wrote:Joypolis looks like my kind of place, and I wish we still had huge arcades like that in my neck of the woods. :(

I think the closest from what I've heard Joypolis came to was Disney Quest. It certainly is no Dave and Busters!

Japan Trip 2017 Day #4: Japan Trip 2017 Day #4: Culture Day with More Akihabara!

After a very windy and rainy night on the 8th floor, we woke up to more rain and walked down the street to Tully’s Cafe for some breakfast. I want to say that Tully’s sounded familiar to me before visiting Japan (they might have been the coffee shop in the Borders bookstores when they were still in business maybe?), but it became the #1 stop for us for breakfast in the morning for much of the trip. Along with being conveniently near the hotel, it also had some great coffee and kickass pancakes with cinnamon apples!

With umbrellas lended to us by the hotel and rain-gear, several of us took the train to the Meiji Temple to kick off culture day. After taking the Tokyo Metro a couple of stops, we went topside umbrellas in hand and walked several blocks to the tori gate to the temple property. The city faded away to a forest; this felt really strange kind of like Central Park in New York City, but denser and cleaner!

After walking a ways down this wide stone path, we turned a corner and entered the main temple area. Unlike in Asakusa where we went closer to the main shrine section, we kind of briefly looked around at the architecture as the main structure had a tent covering the structure for renovations and went to the gift shop. Inside, I bought some banana-flavored mochi rice candy (before I went on the trip, I loved getting green tea ice cream-filled mochi from my local grocery store. The mochi is a kind of pounded rice that has a sweet taste to it and gooey texture and to someone who has never had it, it might take a little getting used to).

Next up, we took a trip to take a look at the Imperial Palace so it was back on the train to Tokyo Station. Just a short walk from the main entrance are the palace grounds with a sprawling paved open area and extremely green lawns (the greenest I have ever seen). At this point we were ready to get some lunch and decided to find something in Tokyo station. The group settled on one of the food court areas attached to the labyrinth of shopping malls that snake it’s way around the station. We decided to meet back at the food court in an hour.

After eating at the restaurant in Asakusa on the first day, I was kind of hesitant on getting something I was unfamiliar with and just about everything in the food court area was something I wasn’t in the mood for. Prior to the trip, I watched quite a few Youtube walkthrough videos on train station layouts of Shinjuku, Akihabara, and Tokyo that I kind of had an idea on what there was. At this point I remembered seeing that there was a McDonalds over in the Shinkansen section of the station… which was on the other side of the train station.

From the videos, I remembered that the main shopping area is kind of set up like a grid and at the moment I was at the bottom and the McDonalds was at the top right. After going through two JR gates with my JR Pass (this kind of came in handy as I figure if I didn’t have that, I would need to get a ticket and there probably would be a lot of confusion!), briefly looking at several direction signs, I eventually go to my destination.

After experiencing McDonalds in Japan, it was a little depressing coming back to the US and going to the one down the street. They didn’t have chicken McNuggets or shaka shaka chicken (they did have shaka shaka fries that were a great black pepper and kind of powdered mayo flavor!), but they did have the rabbit burger (basically a cheeseburger with an egg on it) and green tea-flavored milkshakes (which looked good and make me regret not getting one!). Their main menu had fewer options than the US menu, but they did have the Big Mac (which is what I got and tasted the same).
With 20 minutes to spare, I left Mc Donalds and retraced my steps back though the maze of the shopping mall and met back up with the group with time to spare.

From there we decided to go see if we could get tickets to the sumo wrestling tournament that was occurring in town. After a short train ride, we got over to find that they were sold out for the day. With the rain expecting to pick up later, we decided to head back to Akihabara and do some more exploring until 6pm (about two hours).

With Akihabara not only being an anime mecca, but a technology mecca, we were sure to be able to find a lot of cool gadgets. We stayed by the train station and first explored Labi, which could best be described as a miniature Wal-Mart with half of it being a Best Buy. The first floor focused more on the latest technology for sale and cell phones with the upper floors more devoted to computers/laptops, convenience store items and an eyesore department strangely.

We had time for one more store, so we went next door to Akihabara Radio Kaikan, which would have to be the biggest building I’ve seen devoted to anime/manga. The first floor was basically a main souvenir area where you can find general Japan and Akihabara-devoted souvenirs and candies, but the floors above feature individual stores with some featuring anime action figures, manga, music from shows and j-pop stars and idols, gachapon, and near the top, merchandise from just about any anime you may have seen. I ended up taking the opportunity to buy a Pasmo case (I was starting to get tired of having to dig out my Passport holder just to get the card out), and a small change pouch and they both ended up being extremely useful for the remainder of the trip!

6PM came and we explored maybe half of the building in that time, but unfortunately it was time to go. It’s kind of amazing when you think about it; in the two or three hours we were there, we ONLY got through one and a half large buildings out of the many in Akihabara! You could easily spend a full day just doing this! Once back at the hotel, we decided to take a small break then go to a small Italian restaurant down the street and pick up some pizza to have a typhoon party.

Going into Pizza Salvatore Coumo with Google Translate handy (I expected Japanese only menus), we asked the server if we could order takeout, which she said was ok and we looked at the Japanese menu that was by the door. At that moment, she brought out an English copy of the menu which kind of surprised me.

Looking around the restaurant, it really felt much more upscale than a US pizza place, but it still felt locally owned as it seemed like many of the people looked like regulars. While waiting, the server came back with some water with lemon and herbs in it that tasted awesome! We got two pizzas and they tasted excellent and much different than what you’d get back in the US.

After some pizza, we called it a night and I watched some more Japanese TV then went to bed. The following day we would be back at the parks with the worst of the weather behind us and ready to start hitting some of the bigger parks!

Next up: Tobu Zoo and the infamous Intamin Mega-Lite: Kawasemi/Kingfisher!
fullsizeoutput_cf2.jpeg
Here's where city ends and forest begins. It really feels strange.
fullsizeoutput_cd2.jpeg
One of the things that regret is not doing more research on the history of Meiji Temple and the other historical places we went to. Next time I'll definately make sure I do.
20170917_111820(0).jpg
This place would be great to go for a walk in if it wasn't so rainy.
fullsizeoutput_cd3.jpeg
A forest in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of downtown Tokyo? It's hard to tell!
20170917_113925.jpg
A wedding party was using this building. It looked much different than to an American wedding.
20170917_114047.jpg
That's an extremely detailed door.
20170917_114801.jpg
Sake barrels from past sumo wrestling tournaments.
fullsizeoutput_cd6.jpeg
Like the other temple, you could get a fortune and other small items.
fullsizeoutput_cd7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_cd9.jpeg
Same thing for these wooden lantern things that have quite a bit of detail.
fullsizeoutput_cda.jpeg
One of the tori gates as you enter the temple grounds. These things are quite common around the country.
fullsizeoutput_cdb.jpeg
Sake barrels that have yet to be opened.
fullsizeoutput_cdc.jpeg
A train or two later, we were back near Tokyo Station walking to the Imperial Palace.
fullsizeoutput_cdd.jpeg
It wouldn't surprise me if they use this area for parades or something.
21739997_1628238993916170_4578633293756473425_n.jpg
Yep, that's me playing Pokemon Go in the middle of downtown Tokyo. :P
fullsizeoutput_cde.jpeg
What castle doesn't have a moat?
fullsizeoutput_cdf.jpeg
We didn't go in as we couldn't as its closed to the public for much of the year.
fullsizeoutput_ce0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_ce1.jpeg
I'm pretty sure they have a laser system that vaperizes any growing weed or unruley child that would ignore the "Keep off the Grass" signs.
fullsizeoutput_cf4.jpeg
On the way to McDonalds inside Tokyo Station they have this bell on display at the center of the shopping area. Most people use it as a meeting spot for others. It was cool seeing it in person after learning about it on Youtube!
fullsizeoutput_cf5.jpeg
We did learn one fun fact: sumo wrestlers smell like baby powder. We passed by a few of them while exiting the train station to see if there were tickets available.
fullsizeoutput_ce5.jpeg
It's clear umbrella day and everyone matched accordingly.
fullsizeoutput_ce6.jpeg
...except those guys. :P
fullsizeoutput_ceb.jpeg
Again, I'd rather be here than Times Square.
fullsizeoutput_ced.jpeg
Most of the advertisements are for currently running tv shows or mobile games for the phone, which seemed to be more common over there.
fullsizeoutput_cf8.jpeg
The escalator on one of the buildings hangs out the side of the building offering great views of the street.
fullsizeoutput_ce4.jpeg
Coming from an area with little to no rail transportation, it's amazing how convenient things are close to the train stations.
fullsizeoutput_ced.jpeg
There's an Evangalion advertisement, which is a very popular franchise in Japan. Some of the parks sold related merchandise and other places had special promotions for it. I really need to watch the series.
fullsizeoutput_cef.jpeg
Mobile game advertisement. The building it's on has a crapload of everything anime in it.
fullsizeoutput_cf1.jpeg
Time to call it a day before the rain gets worse.
fullsizeoutput_ce7.jpeg
Looking for action figures for any character imaginable? This is the place to be.
fullsizeoutput_cf9.jpeg
Lost? Ofcourse you could always ask the character for help. Tobu Zoo is next!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Great TR, especially of Tokyo and the surrounding area. Love that city.

By the way. Have you run into any..... capsule machines, yet?

If you do, check them out. Sometimes there are some really cool
things to get. Like mini-flashlights, grow-your-own cactus seeds,
lots of 'stuff.'

;)
capsulemachinesSpaceWorldJapan.jpg
They look like this. (o; This horde of machines was at Space World in Japan.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:21 pm

I saw some good Gachapon the first day or two, but I didn't have any change at that point. Later on I got a lot around Akihabara. While there, there was a shop inside that building with a video screen that sold a ton of miniature items from furniture to characters. I ended up getting a miniature Japanese soda machine (if you push the black button it drops out a mini soda can!) and a Pikachu. I want to get more variety if I return next year.

The oddest one is the build your own fake ice cream kit. It has a crap load of plastic balls that I'm afraid to assemble as I'm sure I'll lose them!
20171115_213745.jpg
The ones I got in Akihabara are kind of the ones you'd expect to find there and I have no idea who the characters are on the lens cloth or buttons. The two Gintama characters were from the Shonen Jump store at Tokyo Dome City. The guy sleeping on top of a brick wall from Attack on Titan was from Fuji Q, and the numerous Pikachu were from machines or purchased at the Pokemon Center at Sunshine City.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!