TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2017 Trade Show LIVE Updates from TPR!

This is going to wrap up today's coverage of IAAPA 2017, but don't worry, we'll be back tomorrow for more!

DOoDVs6WsAUOEh-.thumb.jpg.d4c60994239315c2ea268a2191df998d.jpg

Water parks are a big part of IAAPA. ProSlide Technology won Best New Product for its Double Tornadowave slide.

DOoDVs8XUAApma9.thumb.jpg.bdfe88d374f98fa83b03de7a48d8e114.jpg

DOoDVs9WsAAQmYu.thumb.jpg.130a9afc040af7583bf267325cc56fda.jpg

DOoDVs9X4AEhEZV.thumb.jpg.0dc147d0b9460fa4ec3b77211cc7ff52.jpg

DOoIW-8X0AIIy8Y.thumb.jpg.805484749e22d1bd483ab0343b4d28f4.jpg

Love the Ropes Courses, Inc. products!

DOoIW_AX0AEeN4v.thumb.jpg.c9c5f2746d5dddb2769323e98152e847.jpg

DOoIW_AX4AEzF0r.thumb.jpg.c4ca6c28e236492a71bd0b05746c8010.jpg

DOoIzrKW4AIzMWl.thumb.jpg.dd5bdc8d25505554305c983b4fd9ef82.jpg

Of course IAAPA is also known for all of the random flat rides, kiddie rides, and inflatables

DOoIzrLWsAA2n0V.thumb.jpg.c2ca97b283ea3416961c78320117226c.jpg

DOoIzrNWkAE-Ori.thumb.jpg.47336ae9e5eb9b9d1267ca76bac76c42.jpg

DOoIzrSWAAA7FQL.thumb.jpg.e13dd989562bfd8fec29046b5eb04092.jpg

DOoJKdLX0AEs6OZ.thumb.jpg.a0452e421c3d3455d82ae7163abe9951.jpg

Until tomorrow!

Edited by jray21

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Great photos and coverage, as provided every year!

Love the look of the new Intamin rafts, TT trains, and RMC trains. I have a soft spot for those ProSlide models. They are putting out really really fun products!

Looking at those Skyline rides I'm more and more convinced that RMC has found the customer for their T-Rex track and we may never see and actual RMC T-Trex anytime soon if the Raptor is successful.

I disagree. Maybe that will be the case for a few years, but once the company has grown enough, Rocky Mountain manufacturing the Skywarp track will become kind of like Intamin selling a half pipe coaster in the same year alongside a bunch of mega coasters.

I do not think that the Skywarp and the Raptor / T-Rex share the exact same market space. I'd be willing to bet imaginary money that if the Raptor takes off, parks will be chomping at the bit for that signature Rocky Mountain acrobatic layout design in a brand new mega coaster that doesn't look like a mish-mash of wooden supports and steel beams.

For now, Rocky Mountain gets to prove the viability of their brand-new wider steel track, Skyline gets a set of rails for the brand-new Skywarp to ride on... I don't see much negative from that arrangement.

^ I hope you're right.

BTW, I have gathered that most people here don't consider Larson Fireballs or Superloops to be roller coasters, going as far as to mock SiX Flags for adding one and calling it a coaster. So then why are so many here calling these Skyline rides roller coasters when they seem to just be glorified superloops?

Edited by WestCoasterKing

I absolutely LOVE those Oscar trains and am way more excited about getting back to Sesame Place next year with the kids than any self-respecting 37 year old man should be.

I'm also kind of surprised that the Exploding Kittens card game from The Patmeal is getting its own line of plushies, not the first thing I would have thought of that would put dollar bills in claw machines, but what do I know? That tacocat is pretty darn cute though.

God, but that Gerstlauer model for the American Dream installations is impressive. I can't believe it's actually happening. *knocks on wood furiously*

While I'm excited enough for the train reveals of Twisted Cyclone, Oscar's Wacky Taxi, Harley Quinn's Crazy Coaster, and Time Traveler, I think I'm most intrigued about what is going to become of the putting a Larson SooperLoop in parks with the Skyline line up of attractions--if anything happens at all. Specifically within Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

Some great reports and pictures! I can see the Steeplechase coming back, if for example, blended into say a theme like say Big Thunder at DL. Lot of possibilities there. Or even less extravagant installations for a family coaster for a park. The Skyline attractions are quite interesting designs, I think the three shown in the pics would all work well within the same park. Always love the water slide models! So impressive.

^^The "normal" Larson loops are smaller than the alternate layouts of the Skyline versions, so I still see the Larson versions having a market as the low footprint "classic" version. For parks that can handle the bigger footprints, I'd kill to see some of the new Skyline layouts find some buyers!

^ I hope you're right.

BTW, I have gathered that most people here don't consider Larson Fireballs or Superloops to be roller coasters, going as far as to mock SiX Flags for adding one and calling it a coaster. So then why are so many here calling these Skyline rides roller coasters when they seem to just be glorified superloops?

It's a joke started by coasterbill. So many people here were complaining about it he started calling them coasters just to piss those people off. I personally love it. I don't think there is a time I haven't laughed.

I can speak for Robb and myself that we called it a roller coaster in the updates because they are calling it one at the show, on the press materials, etc. Do I believe personally that it's a coaster? NO!

^ I hope you're right.

Probably cause Larson Loops have been on the fair circuit for decades and SF decided to start marketing them as coasters. Some enthusiasts just can't seem to understand what marketing is and what it's used for.

Honestly ever since I was a tiny tot I always looked at Larson Loops as miniature traveling coasters so fairs can have a coaster. But whatever...

But to answering your question directly, the simple answer is.... trolling.

I can speak for Robb and myself that we called it a roller coaster in the updates because they are calling it one at the show, on the press materials, etc. Do I believe personally that it's a coaster? NO!

This is one of the reasons I've never kept a coaster count. I don't want to debate what counts/doesn't and just have fun. I'd probably pick a new flat to try or a re-ride on a coaster I like over a credit anyday. I always feel that if it's what the manufacturers want to sell it as or the people who paid for the ride want to use to market it as, then just to respect that and disagree among friends or online vs actually at the parks where kids are sxcited for a "coaster" (Personally I wouldn't call disko coasters and this roller-coasters but I'm not going to belittle people who do). Although I think if anyone started really caring enough to debate it for hours instead of just riding the ride and having fun my friend list would quickly get much smaller.

That and the day my son is big enough to ride bigger rides and gets off his first coaster and run off excitedly to tell his school friends, would follow the day I sit him down and tell him that he's old enough to know he can't count that dragon coaster as his first anymore because it didn't coast enough or had too many tyres on the track (I've heard people debate Lotte World's Comet Express once when I was in line by some visiting enthusiasts) is the day I should stop with this hobby... Yea, I'm going to let him ride a skyloop or RC Racer and just have fun.

^ I hope you're right.

It's a joke started by coasterbill. So many people here were complaining about it he started calling them coasters just to piss those people off. I personally love it. I don't think there is a time I haven't laughed.

Pretty much this... I can't for the life of me understand why people care so much if people refer to them as coasters. They're super fun rides that always look great, generally have awesome lighting packages and are great additions to just about any regional park. That's all I care about. For what they are, these things are actually really good and the new models look insane.

If you think they're coasters, wonderful. If you don't think they're coasters, wonderful. If you get all bent out of shape and filled with fanboy rage when someone calls it a coaster even though you don't think it's a coaster then you need to go get laid.

If you think they're coasters, wonderful. If you don't think they're coasters, wonderful. If you get all bent out of shape and filled with fanboy rage when someone calls it a coaster even though you don't think it's a coaster then you need to go get laid.

Has that M&V out-and-back been built yet anywhere? I really like that layout especially because it seems to be reintroducing the minimalistic layout that CCI introduced with Shivering Timbers.

It seems to be a catalog item that has small layout options as posted on TPR before