Photo TR: Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Resort

P. 4: Tokyo Disneyland Day 1 photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Resor

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Great report! Loved the in-depth report of this park. So many things look so good, especially the Pirates ride and the Alice in Wonderland maze. Thanks for sharing!
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 am

After our time at Shanghai Disneyland it was time to head to the Tokyo Disney Resort... I had been to Tokyo DisneySea eleven years earlier, but I had never been to Tokyo Disneyland. And this trip would be the first time for my wife to visit either, so this was also an incredible experience for us to share together. And since my last visit to Tokyo DisneySea all of those years earlier, several significant changes had also taken place. With four days at our disposal versus my one previous half day, there was an abundance of time for us to take in the insane level of detail across these two parks and to try as much of the park offerings as possible during our stay.

We began our time at Disney with our first day at Tokyo DisneySea...
1.JPG
We stayed at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay which is accessible to all of the Tokyo Disney Resort via the monorail. Our travel day between Shanghai and Tokyo presented the opportunity to have dinner in Ikspiari, the resort's unique take on Downtown Disney.
2.JPG
Ikspiari has a fantastic Disney Store with a great selection of merchandise not found inside of the parks.
3.JPG
Ikspiari Kitchen presented an opportunity to have some authentic, fresh Japanese cuisine early into this portion of the trip. And like I was eleven years earlier, I was back in my personal paradise!
4.JPG
Since my last visit saw us bussed in to Tokyo DisneySea, I never had the chance to ride the monorail before now... And this time around, I was really happy to get the chance.
5.JPG
Unfortunately due to the time we had available to take this trip, the only dates available for us to visit Tokyo Disney included some where major attractions were closed for refurbishment. Journey into the Center of the Earth was only set to be open on the first day of our time in the parks, so the decision was made for us to start our trip with Tokyo DisneySea (I wasn't going to complain) just so we could get a few rides in before it closed.
6.JPG
These elevators put the memory of the Hydrolators to shame.
7.JPG
This queue is more heavily themed than most rides I've ever been on.
8.JPG
The lava monster is still my favorite animatronic in existence!
10.JPG
This is somehow a theme park.
12.JPG
Mysterious Island is one of the most incredible themed lands ever created for a theme park.
13.JPG
This queue structure continues to mesmerize me years later.
14.JPG
I remember shortly after getting back from Tokyo on my last trip, reading Robb & Elissa's report from Tokyo that year, and realizing that I missed out on trying a Gyoza Dog during my trip. I made up for it this time around...
15.JPG
Aquatopia is still the most nonsensical, awesome attraction out there.
16.JPG
There's a full size cruise ship docked inside of the park. How is this real life?
17.JPG
Mysterious Island is the centerpiece of the park and there is hardly any direction you can look where you miss the volcano.
18.JPG
It is just so photogenic!
19.JPG
Mysterious Island as seen from Mermaid Lagoon.
20.JPG
The Arabian Coast is another one of the very unique ports found in DisneySea.
21.JPG
The Magic Lamp Theater is home to a really neat 4D theater show with an equally awesome pre-show. No photos allowed in either beyond this but I really enjoyed it!
22.JPG
The last time I was here Sinbad was closed for refurbishment, so this was the first time I had the chance to ride.
23.JPG
Sinbad is a unique boat ride that tells the story of Sinbad's adventures to the tune of a single song that spans the length of the ride without deviating far from the lyrics between scenes.
24.JPG
The best comparison to be made from a musical standpoint would be "it's a small world" in how the song transcends the individual scene of the ride.
25.JPG
There are tons of animatronic characters throughout the duration of the ride.
27.JPG
Chandu is Sinbad's pet tiger and an absolutely adorable sidekick for his journeys.
28.JPG
So many awesome animatronics inside!
29.JPG
The scenes are intensely detailed!
30.JPG
And the giant is incredible!
31.JPG
"Compass Of Your Heart" unseats "it's a small world" and "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" as the most infectious theme park ride tune in existence.
32.JPG
The scene with the Monkey King is filled with the scent of fresh bananas!
33.JPG
Pro Tip: If you do not speak Japanese, many of the attractions in the Tokyo Disney Resort offer "Story Cards" that explain the plot or details of the ride/show experience. Sinbad was one of the attractions featured and the story card provided us with the full details of the ride's story (scene by scene) including the English translation of the lyrics for Compass of Your Heart!
34.JPG
Easily my favorite Disney dark ride of its kind!
35.JPG
I was eager to try Japanese Curry during our visit and I was not disappointed!
36.JPG
We visited Tokyo Disney during the Tanabata Days festival, which allowed us to try some really delicious speciality items like this dessert featuring a custard topped with whipped cream and blue raspberry jelly. And we got to keep the souvenir cup!
37.JPG
I can never stop marveling at how incredible Mysterious Island is.
38.JPG
Queue envy.
39.JPG
Just thankful we were able to ride it three times before it closed for refurbishment.
40.JPG
Funny story: I had never been overly fond of the music from the former fireworks show Wishes at Magic Kingdom in Florida, to the point that I was excited to see the show go away to welcome Happily Ever After. For our mini-moon, we went out to Disneyland and sure enough, we saw "Remember, Dreams Come True" which also features the same theme of Wishes briefly in the show. After that I thought I had finally escaped...

As we were walking through the Mediterranean Harbor an upbeat version of the song played across the water. It turns out that the character greeting float was playing some variation of the song. Even on the other side of the globe, the song followed me.
41.JPG
Tower of Terror was one of my favorite experiences from my visit in 2006 (the ride had just opened before we visited that year) and the ride's story and setting is one I prefer over that of Florida's Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. I have since argued that with the Tokyo theme adapted to the Florida ride system/layout, the ride would be perfect.
42.JPG
Easily one of my favorite Disney rides in existence. Shiriki is the best!
43.JPG
Stella Lou had just arrived at Tokyo Disney before our trip, so a daily welcome parade was set up to show her off!
44.JPG
The last time I was in the Mermaid Lagoon Theater the show featured here was very different. This time around we could barely understand the show, but we were enamored with the theater effects and the many moving set pieces. No photography allowed in the show unfortunately!
45.JPG
While waiting for Fantasmic we decided to grab a nosh, so we tried some Curry Bread (DELICIOUS), a chocolate biscotti and the Little Green Men mochi bites (these were bliss).
46.JPG
This is how you make a volcano in a theme park erupt... Here's looking at you Volcano Bay.
47.JPG
The sun begins to set on the Mediterranean Harbor...
48.JPG
I'm in love.
49.JPG
I never want to leave.
50.JPG
This is inside of a theme park. INSANE.
51.JPG
Fantasmic was incredibly different from those offered stateside.
52.JPG
The core story is very similar but the execution is very different thanks to the show being offered on the water in a near "theater in the round" setting.
53.JPG
I had forgotten from watching videos of the show in the past that these projection globes were also part of the show. Kind of like a flashback to Universal 360: A Cinesphere Spectacular.
54.JPG
The magic mirror effect is pretty great!
55.JPG
And the introduction of the dragon is wonderful!
56.JPG
I only noticed when looking through my photos that the dragon's claws were projected on the mist screens.
57.JPG
Overall I really liked the show a lot! It was a great way to cap off our day in the park before heading out...
58.JPG
It was my goal to visit every major Disney resort hotel in Shanghai and Tokyo while we were on this trip so on this night we stopped into the Hotel Miracosta, where I found this beauty.
59.JPG
Neat to read the official dedication from Michael Eisner all these years later...
60.JPG
The Hotel Miracosta is a beautiful place!
61.JPG
And I'm absolutely in love with this!
62.JPG
We called it a night and hopped the monorail back to the Sheraton to get some rest, knowing that our next day at Tokyo Disneyland would be a long one...
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Dombot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:50 am

There's no way this park is real. It's too amazing. :p

Wonderful pics, Adam.
1. Mako 2. Kumba 3. Cheetah Hunt 4. Space Mountain (WDW) 5. Mine Blower

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 am

Tokyo DisneySea could stop adding new attractions, and I would still want to visit the place at least once a year.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 am

Great report! Every photo I see of that park looks too good to be true.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby AidanCKY » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 am

I'm going later this month... these photos make me even more excited! :D

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby JordyC » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 am

Excellent report and great photos! The more I see of Tokyo DisneySea, the more I want to go there.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa-Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Goliath - Walibi Holland 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 158 || Parks: 31

Phantasialand Wintertraum || Movie Park Germany || Nigloland || Walygator Parc || Bakken || Tivoli Gardens || PortAventura || Ferrari Land || Plopsaland De Panne || Efteling || Liseberg

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:34 pm

Great trip report of DisneySea Adam! And you're right, there is so much to see in either park, whether the theming is right in your face,
or slightly hidden from view, for you to discover and enjoy.

Looking forward to more of your TR. :mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm

(bump)
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:13 pm

(Bump)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!