TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Alright Kings Island frequent visitors. I will be going to the park this Saturday 10/21 with a friend. I am appealing to you for any special advice for my first visit to the park since like 2000. We are definitely going to get Fast Lane Plus. My plan is mostly to knock out some of the less appealing and lower capacity stuff earlier in the day. Most of these seem to be on the left side of the park (Invertigo, Flight of Fear, Adventure Express, Firehawk, Racer, Backlot Stunt Coaster). I almost want to save Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, Beast, Bat, and Banshee for night time.

Is there anything specific you guys would recommend I should plan for ride wise? Or just do whatever as I please, because the Fast Lane Plus is so advantageous at KI?

Are there any food or beer places that would be strongly recommended if we want to grab something to eat or drink in the park?

Most importantly...What are your favorite/special seats on any of the coasters? I intend to hit some front and back seats obviously, but are there any "magic seats" I should be aware of?

I haven't been to a ton of parks in the last 15 or so years, and I'm more excited for this one than I have been for any park in a long time, and I want to make the most of it. Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm glad Mystic Timbers is on the Winterfest list since I'm not able to get to the park this month. Although I'm nervous about how long the line will be post running of the bulls. Since the park opens at 5pm right as the sun is going down, there will be ample time for night rides!

I wonder if the patches of ice in December will help me get to the ride faster..

Alright Kings Island frequent visitors. I will be going to the park this Saturday 10/21 with a friend. I am appealing to you for any special advice for my first visit to the park since like 2000. We are definitely going to get Fast Lane Plus. My plan is mostly to knock out some of the less appealing and lower capacity stuff earlier in the day. Most of these seem to be on the left side of the park (Invertigo, Flight of Fear, Adventure Express, Firehawk, Racer, Backlot Stunt Coaster). I almost want to save Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, Beast, Bat, and Banshee for night time.

Is there anything specific you guys would recommend I should plan for ride wise? Or just do whatever as I please, because the Fast Lane Plus is so advantageous at KI?

Are there any food or beer places that would be strongly recommended if we want to grab something to eat or drink in the park?

Most importantly...What are your favorite/special seats on any of the coasters? I intend to hit some front and back seats obviously, but are there any "magic seats" I should be aware of?

I haven't been to a ton of parks in the last 15 or so years, and I'm more excited for this one than I have been for any park in a long time, and I want to make the most of it. Thanks in advance for your help!

For Beast, middle rows are the way to go. Also, avoid Vortex unless you need the credit.

^^^ Thanks, I didn't notice The Bat wasn't on Fast Lane and I'll keep that in mind.

^Awesome, I'll definitely keep the middle rows in mind on The Beast. I have ridden Vortex but my friend hasn't, so we'll probably go once and call it good on that!

For Beast, middle rows are the way to go. Also, avoid Vortex unless you need the credit.

NO, front row of Beast at night is the best if you can manage it! Otherwise, anything but the back row of any car!

Very back of Diamondback. Back of Timbers (potentially back right but jury is still out). Front of Firehawk (but it appears as the back in the station). Banshee front.

Best beer I know is either the beer counter at Festhaus or the bar in Red's diner (by Diamondback and Timbers), although I usually end up getting it at Festahaus. Don't have a personal opinion on food as I usually don't eat at KI.

Don't skip Bat or Adventure Express. They may appear small but they are a ton of fun, especially at night! Usually walk-on.

Have fun!

The Beast at night in the front row is coaster perfection.

I also agree about Diamondback. It's a back seat ride, if you're a complete b*tch who whines about rattle then sit in the front but if you want ejector airtime and fun then the back is the place to be.

I also agree about Diamondback. It's a back seat ride, if you're a complete b*tch who whines about rattle then sit in the front but if you want ejector airtime and fun then the back is the place to be.

Don't get stapled and put your legs straight/feet out and it's borderline terrifying.

But you didn't hear that from me. Not sure if that sort of thing is condoned here.

You have FL+... you'll get the most of it. Trust me. I'll echo what others have said. Go to Bat first and you'll likely be greeted with a station wait.

Ride Banshee in the front and the back decide which one you like better. Although the back is very intense, Emily has turned me into a front seat rider on this one. The deafening wind rushing at your face is reminiscent of an insane hyper. Just don't skip the front in search of a strictly more intense experience. The views are great and the dive into the valley after the zero g roll is one of my favorite parts of the ride. You can really get a sense of the elevation change and sense the speed the train picks up if you sit in the front.

Neither Diamondback or Banshee are glass smooth, and that's because they haul ass. I don't consider either one uncomfortable. Although the back is my preferred seat on Diamondback, still give the front seat a try. Again with the wind rushing in your face. The coaster is loaded with air time and flies through the course. No other hypers compare in my book.

If you prefer a smoother ride on the Beast, do what we do and stick to the front or middle. There really aren't enough airtime or forces to justify a back seat ride. Common sense says make sure to grab a couple night rides, but Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers give incredible night rides as well. As far as Mystic Timbers goes, it's good pretty much everywhere on the train.

Beer stands are prevalent throughout the park. The beer man between Back Lot and Beast usually has a short line. I suggest Yuengling. It tastes amazing on tap. If you guys are willing to leave the park there is a restaurant about 10-15 minutes from the park called Roosters. It's like a Hooters, except the wings are better, the beer is colder, the service isn't terrible, it's more family friendly, and it's about half the cost... So maybe it's actually nothing like Hooters... I ate the pizza in the park, located between Back Lot and Beast, one time. I was pretty lit, but I remember it being decent. I think it's a local chain as opposed to some generic park pizza place like our Six Flags offers. Aside from that, people enjoy the Sky Line Chili. If you're going to hit Starbucks, do it early. The line can get pretty long. There's also a Graeter's ice cream shop in the shopping strip across from Starbucks. It's a local chain and the ice cream is high quality. I highly recommend topping your night off with a couple scoops on your way out.

Enjoy your trip to my favorite park. I'm jealous. Please post your thoughts when you return.

I was definitely going to ride Beast in the front and assumed that was the play, but open to suggestions. Glad to have my thoughts on that confirmed.

Same with Diamondback and Mystic Timbers, I assumed back seat is where it's at.

I always enjoy the front seat on inverts so planned on riding Banshee in front. And intensity and lack of smoothness is almost a non factor for me. I am a big fan of The Boss. I don't like being beaten up for the sake of being beaten up, but if a ride has a good layout and is going to tear ass around the place, I could care less if it isn't glass smooth.

And there's no way I'd skip The Bat...big fan of the Arrow suspended coasters, especially those that are more intense than Iron Dragon. I've ridden this one as Top Gun or Flight Deck and same with the one at CW and love them.

Thanks for the suggestions on the beer and food places as well! I'll definitely post at least a mini report to let you all know how some of the rides I haven't ridden in a LONG time compare to how I remember them, and how the GREAT selection of coasters I haven't been on stack up!

I was definitely going to ride Beast in the front and assumed that was the play, but open to suggestions. Glad to have my thoughts on that confirmed.

Same with Diamondback and Mystic Timbers, I assumed back seat is where it's at.

I always enjoy the front seat on inverts so planned on riding Banshee in front. And intensity and lack of smoothness is almost a non factor for me. I am a big fan of The Boss. I don't like being beaten up for the sake of being beaten up, but if a ride has a good layout and is going to tear A$$ around the place, I could care less if it isn't glass smooth.

And there's no way I'd skip The Bat...big fan of the Arrow suspended coasters, especially those that are more intense than Iron Dragon. I've ridden this one as Top Gun or Flight Deck and same with the one at CW and love them.

Thanks for the suggestions on the beer and food places as well! I'll definitely post at least a mini report to let you all know how some of the rides I haven't ridden in a LONG time compare to how I remember them, and how the GREAT selection of coasters I haven't been on stack up!

I'm a big fan of Diamondback in row 1/2 - I like 2 more because you're sitting on the edge. Diamondback may have a stronger push up and over the hills than pull on the way down - you'll have to figure out yourself! I worked on the ride the whole 2009 season and loved rows: 2, 10, 16.

Banshee is similar. Great views in the front row, but the back seat provides a surprisingly nice whip on the first drop. I didn't anticipate it when I rode for the first time since there's no pre drop but there's definitely some funky forces there.

***Banshee requires you to put your stuff in a fluffy bunny. It is very reasonably priced ( I think only 2 bucks for 2 hours?) and just put your stuff in there and enjoy the rides around it without crap in your pockets. That slow roll at the end WILL empty your pockets so don't chance Banshee taking your keys/phone/etc.

Another vote for Bat being underrated and try to get on the front and back if you can - the back has a weird nice pop of Arrow airtime that doesn't jar you on the pull out at the bottom of the hill; the front makes you feel like you're going way faster than 50mph.

Banshee ice cream or blue ice cream is a winner! There are great local beers on tap across from Slingshot and Adventure Express at the beer garden; if you/someone wants a mixed drink, they'll mix it up and make it worth it. I'll also second Rooster's if you want to leave the park to eat. Really cheap but good quality food and beer. But if you'll put up with the prices for staying in the park at least you have local flavors like Skyline, LaRosas, Montgomery Inn Bbq, etc instead of the typical theme park crap.

If you do any haunts, check out Madam Fatale's - line up before it opens so you don't have to wait too long. It's inside the Crypt/Tomb Raider's building and you get to walk through the queue. It's Kings Island's best looking/most detailed haunt, IMO.

I'd probably skip Boo Blasters since your last memories of the ride was Phantom Manor days...

If you've never been on one of those 'skateboard style' disko's - they are really fun and give you a nice whip if you can snag an outer edge seat in the back row! It's called Snoopy's Surf Coaster or something like that.

Not sure if the Festhaus is the old Gordon Biersch beer garden, but this is a good place to get beer or a mixed drink. It's right across from the Slingshot ride, so you can chill and watch people ride Slingshot - always entertaining!

Not sure if the Festhaus is the old Gordon Biersch beer garden, but this is a good place to get beer or a mixed drink. It's right across from the Slingshot ride, so you can chill and watch people ride Slingshot - always entertaining!

I'm thinking of the indoor venue that has the show, Panda Express, and pizza. They are somewhat nearby but across the little pond from each other. There is a beer stand in there. For some reason, I always forget about the beer garden despite holing it up there for hours during the freak rainstorm during Coasterstock.

And intensity and lack of smoothness is almost a non factor for me. I am a big fan of The Boss.

This is great news. In this case, every one of Kings Island's coasters is smooth.

Bat is fantastic. Make sure you're prepared for the walk. Bring water, food, bug repellent, a machete, and a pop-up tent. As long as you're a relatively good hiker, you should make it to Bat's station in just under 2 days.

Crap! I forgot all about the Beer Garden near Adventure Express. Good catch. That really is a great place to have a beer. The Beer Garden was where we had our first EVER park beer.

It really is a great place to have a beer or drink, although I admit that we did spend more time there than we probably needed to during our past couple of visits. But damn it, did it make for some really fun night rides on Beast and Diamondback later on in the evening!

Now you're really making me want to go back! Ah, memories.

Bat is fantastic. Make sure you're prepared for the walk. Bring water, food, bug repellent, a machete, and a pop-up tent. As long as you're a relatively good hiker, you should make it to Bat's station in just under 2 days.

lol truth

And intensity and lack of smoothness is almost a non factor for me. I am a big fan of The Boss.

This is great news. In this case, every one of Kings Island's coasters is smooth.

Is it worse than Zumanjaro?

Is it worse than Zumanjaro?

I'm very curious about that comparison. It's definitely longer than American Eagle.

^ I honestly found the queue for American Eagle more annoying. At least the walks to Zumanjaro and Bat, while long, have relatively wide pathways. I don't feel like I am in the queue until the very end, even though there's nothing else along the way. American Eagle feels like a queue the whole way through with the narrow path and indirect route.

I'd say Bat and Zumanjaro are pretty comparable.

Also, avoid Vortex unless you need the credit.

If credit is required: last car, front row, brace hard.

(The airtime on the first drop is quite frightening there!)

Hah. FFFF airtime at the expense of a headache. Middle row front car all the way, unless you're the type of person who's contemplating going down Niagra Falls in a barrel. Drink a few pain killers (beerz) before hand.