TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legoland New York Discussion Thread

P. 3: The "Minifigure Skyflyer" attraction announced!

We are still at least 3 years from opening, but another hurdle has been cleared

http://www.recordonline.com/news/20161117/legoland-plans-move-forward

Legoland plans move forward

Nov 17, 2016

By Richard J. Bayne

Times Herald-Record

GOSHEN – The proposed, $500 million Legoland New York theme park took a giant step forward Thursday when the town Planning Board voted 7-0 that Legoland’s draft environmental impact statement is adequate for public and agency review.

The board set a Dec. 15 public hearing. Now, under State Environmental Quality Review Act procedures, Legoland's voluminous, revised DEIS will be released to the public. Board members requested some technical additions Thursday; the Planning Board staff expects those to be done within a few days, and the report is expected to be released to the public early next week. That DEIS has been available to Planning Board members only since Legoland submitted it Oct. 11.

Although the public wasn’t technically permitted to speak at Thursday’s meeting, the vote to move forward toward approvals drew shouts of disapproval from opponents.

"You're ruining a beautiful town,” shouted Lilllian Swingle, a 29-year town resident.

Pramilla Malick, an environmental activist who ran unsuccessfully for state Senate Nov. 8, shouted at the board to extend the hearing date, accusing the board of engaging in a deliberate attempt to use the upcoming holidays as a means to get around public comment and rush the project to approval. “We’re going to litigate this,” Malick pledged.

“We’re not trying to hide anything,” Planning Board Chairman Lee Bergus responded. “You’ll get your chance to comment at the public hearings.”

Now Legoland’s DEIS will go through public hearings, moving toward a potential final environmental impact statement, site plan review, and approvals for the 153-acre proposed park, to be located on a 523-acre site at Route 17’s Exit 125, off Harriman Drive. Legoland has been a divisive issue in the town, with opponents focusing on traffic, environmental, and quality-of-life concerns, and proponents touting economic benefits. About 200 people packed Thursday’s session at the Orange County Emergency Services Center.

“This is a win,” said Maureen Halahan, president and CEO of the Orange County Partnership, after Thursday’s vote. Halahan, who visited Legoland’s Winter Haven, Fla., park in September, praised the Planning Board staff for its work, especially town building inspector Neal Halloran, who gave an hour-long presentation, complete with photos of a trip an eight-member Planning Board delegation took to Winter Haven, Fla., Oct. 28-29.

“We talked with municipal officials,” Halloran said. “They had nothing but positive things to say.”

The delegation took walking tours of the Florida park, which is comparable in size to the proposed park in Goshen. It researched a host of issues, including traffic access, parking, noise and light pollution and security

Traffic has been a key issue among Legoland opponents. The board’s traffic consultant, Charles “Carlito” Holt, who went on the trip, did not report extensive backups during his part of the presentation Thursday. Legoland would like to open its New York park by 2019, if approvals are granted.

Gatherings from Goshen Planning Board Fla. Legoland visit that are mentioned in the article

Purpose: Assess community impacts, gain insights

Who went: 5 planning board members, consultants, 8 total

When: Oct. 28-29, Halloween weekend

Where: Winter Haven, Fla.

Ground rules: No Legoland representatives at meetings, tours

Expenses: Covered out of pre-paid Legoland fees, individual funds

Interviewed: Local officials, planners, police, fire, EMS

Tours: Legoland Florida park

Concerns: Traffic, noise, lighting, wastewater treatment, water, access, pedestrians

Positive highlights: Florida officials said $1 billion economic impact over 5 years; Legoland involvement in community life, events

Negative highlights: Height of rides, rear storage area appearance, suggested fire protection review, need for buffer

Source: Planning Board report

Edited by larrygator

Even though I am an adult im a kid at heart and I kind of wish Chicago would get a Legoland in a way. I mean a REAL Legoland not just the one thats only in one building at a mall....I never been to a Legoland but it would be kind of cool to go one day. Looks like a neat place to go:)

• 8 months later...

Legoland New York takes another huge step towards realization. The town of Goshen's planning board approved a zoning exemption for Legoland as a "commercial recreation facility" to bypass a long-standing law against amusement parks in Goshen.

http://www.recordonline.com/news/20170803/goshen-planning-board-oks-zoning-for-legoland-theme-park

Goshen Planning Board OKs zoning for Legoland theme park

By Richard J. Bayne

Times Herald-Record

Posted Aug 3, 2017 at 11:46 PM Updated Aug 3, 2017 at 11:46 PM

GOSHEN — The proposed $500 million Legoland New York theme park took another step forward Thursday when the town planning board voted its OK of a local law that would permit what the town is calling a “commercial recreation facility” on the site where Legoland’s developer wants to build. The vote was 5-0 with one planning board member, Diana Lupinski, recusing herself.

Thursday’s planning board vote approving a zoning exception constituted a recommendation to the town board, which has the power to make that change. The town has a law on the books that prohibits amusement parks. For the project to proceed, the town board would have to grant the exception for Legoland. It would also have to approve a zoning overlay to permit commercial development.

Some in the town, including planning board Chairman Lee Bergus, have argued that the proposed Legoland park wouldn’t fit his definition of an amusement park, because it would be geared to children ages 2-12. “By my definition, it’s not an amusement park,” Bergus said in a telephone interview before Thursday’s meeting. “It isn’t a Six Flags, it isn’t a circus. It’s a recreation theme park, and that’s what they’re doing.”

On Thursday, town attorney Richard Golden said he’s been trying to find out exactly how that amusement park prohibition came about in Goshen. The measure the planning board approved included a provision adding 100 feet of buffer in a perimeter around the 522-acre site.

Merlin Entertainments, Legoland’s developer, wants to build the park on 150 acres of a 522-acre site off Harriman Drive, near Route 17′s Exit 125. The park, which would draw up to 2.5 million annual visitors, has been controversial in the town. The proposal has pitted economic development proponents against opponents concerned about traffic, quality-of-life, water and environmental issues.

Thursday’s session came the day before the town planning board’s deadline for the public to submit comments on Legoland’s Final Environmental Impact Statement, which the planning board accepted July 20. That deadline for comments is 5 p.m. Friday, as the planning board moves to the next phase in the state-mandated review — a Findings Statement. The address for Town Hall is 41 Webster Ave. in Goshen. The planning department’s email address is nhalloran@townofgoshen.org.

On Thursday, Bergus said the Findings Statement could be ready as soon as Aug. 17. That Findings Statement would list any measures Legoland must take to mitigate any potential negative effects identified in the environmental review process.

Once the town board finishes its work, the focus would shift back to the planning board, which would then move toward site plan approval and permits. Pending approvals, Merlin would like to start construction this year and open the park in 2019.

I've never been to a Legoland since they're always near parks like Disneyland or Disney World, but I'd definitely try this one. I mean I make an annual trip to Story Land after all.

Have the Legoland parks have the Chuck E Cheese's rule (aka if you're over 18 you must enter with someone under 18)? Boston got a Legoland Discovery Center a few years back but added thaf rule from the start.

• 2 months later...

Town has approved the Plan for Legoland

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index.ssf/2017/10/legoland_new_york_approved.html#incart_river_home

It looks like even if the towns people try to stall certain land plot sales the project is a go but with a modified plan, this is great news and I cant wait to take my daughter here once it's opened being so as close to my home of Central NY.

• 10 months later...

LEGOLAND has sent us a press release announcing the eight themed lands coming to their newest park, LEGOLAND New York when the resort opens in 2020!

llny.PNG.b116f718ac12b7212907a29247ace63d.PNG

More than 100 members of the media and special guests joined officials with Merlin Entertainments to get the first look at the eight themed “lands” that will make up the 150-acre LEGOLAND® New York Resort at the family theme park’s future site in Goshen, New York. Thousands of LEGO® bricks cascaded down resembling a waterfall revealing a 10-foot LEGO model of the entire theme park! The model is made of more than 135,000 LEGO bricks and took 20 Master Model Builders more than 1,300 hours to design and build.

“LEGOLAND New York is coming and it’s time to get excited,” said LEGOLAND New York’s Public Relations Manager Matt Besterman. “This will be the ultimate must-see destination for families in the Northeast.”

Helping to unveil the model and illustrate the Park’s design were a group of local children, including friends and family members of the Park staff and construction team. The children dressed in costumes to represent each land of the Park.

“For those who may only be familiar with our indoor LEGOLAND® Discovery Centers, a LEGOLAND Park is on a different scale altogether,” Besterman said. “This 150-acre theme park is a multi-day experience with more than 50 rides, shows and attractions – all designed for kids ages 2-12 and their families.”

LEGOLAND New York will take visitors on a journey through eight themed lands:

The Factory is the beginning of the LEGOLAND New York experience. Once you pass under the iconic arch, you’re in a world that appears to be built of LEGO bricks – and your first stop is the Great LEGO® Adventure! This ride, which is exclusive to LEGOLAND New York, will let you feel what it’s like to be a LEGO Minifigure, as you travel through the manufacturing process, into a box, and into the hands of a child just waiting to build!

Bricktopia is the land with no rules, where all those bricks are put to work to build anything you can imagine! Here you’ll work with Master Model Builders to build and test your LEGO creations – whether they’re designed to ride, float or fly – and see if your tallest tower can stand up against the Earthquake Table. You can also take a spin on the Imagination Celebration ride, or jump on the Stepping Tones to trigger crazy LEGO instruments!

LEGO® NINJAGO® World is where aspiring ninjas can master the ancient art of Spinjitzu. You’ll start in Training Camp, where you’ll learn to spin, climb, and become a master of the elements. Then put your training to the test on NINJAGO: The Ride, here you’ll help defeat the Great Devourer using just your hands as weapons.

Heartlake City is the home of the LEGO Friends: Emma, Olivia, Stephanie, Andrea and Mia. You’ll get to meet them all at the outdoor stage, then take a balloon ride over Pinefall Woods! While you’re there, you’ll want to sample some delicious Granny’s Apple Fries. This tasty treat is legendary among LEGOLAND visitors!

Knights’ Kingdom, home of the LEGO Castle, is a land where you’ll receive a royal welcome! In this land of knights, princesses, wizards and dragons, you’ll find the Dragon Coaster – not too big or scary, but perfectly sized to give kids their first roller coaster experience. Younger knights can help a new flock of baby dragons learn to fly at Dragon Rider School.

LEGO® City is home of the Minifigures – and it needs heroes! Learn to be a LEGO City firefighter and help save the day at Rescue Academy, or, attend LEGO Driving School and get your official LEGOLAND driver’s license. Restaurants, shops and a theatre – there’s always something to do in this bustling metropolis!

Pirate Shores is the place for young buccaneers to find adventure! Climb aboard a galleon and say “Anchors Aweigh” as storms pick you up, toss you from side to side and spin you around! Or take a trip on the Rogue Wave Riders and do battle with water spouts and hungry beasts!

Miniland is the heart of every LEGOLAND Park, a massive panorama of LEGO built cities from across the country, with interactive features around every corner. Go from the Statue of Liberty to Times Square in just a few steps, and see bustling streets full of busy, animated pedestrians – even a moving subway!

“LEGOLAND New York has been in the works for years and we’re excited to bring this unique family theme park to Goshen!” said Head of Public Relations North America for Merlin Entertainments Julie Estrada. “Built on a 500-acre site just 60 miles northwest of New York City, LEGOLAND New York Resort is the first major theme park in decades to be built in the northeast – aiming to be the ultimate family destination for visitors from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and beyond.”

Scheduled to hold its grand opening in spring 2020, the Park will be open seasonally from spring to fall.

From the outset, the Resort will feature a LEGOLAND Hotel, which will be open year-round. Each of the Hotel’s 250 rooms

will be themed to a popular LEGO toy to be announced at a later date.

“The LEGOLAND Hotel is an experience in itself,” Besterman said. “You’ll find a restaurant with a kid-sized buffet table, a

Castle play area, and children’s entertainment every night. It’s our way of extending the LEGOLAND experience creating

treasured memories for families.”

At Thursday’s event, transportation provider ShortLine Coach USA announced its intention to provide a one-seat ride from Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City to LEGOLAND New York. The Resort also expects to welcome international visitors via nearby New York Stewart International Airport.

LEGOLAND New York Resort is expected to generate 1,300 jobs by opening day, including 500 year-round full-time employees, 300 part-time employees, and 500 seasonal employees. In addition, the Resort is expected to generate 800 construction jobs in its development. Job seekers can sign up for alerts at jobs.LEGOLAND.com.

LEGOLAND New York is Merlin Entertainments’ ninth LEGOLAND theme park, and its third in the United States. At an expected cost of $350 million, LEGOLAND New York is Merlin’s largest investment in a single park to date.

For more information, please visit http://www.LEGOLAND.com/new-york or follow LEGOLAND New York on Facebook.

520652760_LLNYFirstLookModel2.thumb.JPG.878e00a3435239c90bc0f743fffe5520.JPG

1543931194_LLNYFirstLookModelViewers.thumb.jpg.d05e89f3fa49ee68e9b07a0992d0d2c5.jpg

20567235_LLNYFirstLookTimesSqImage.thumb.jpg.7c00e6a94552471542c19d66f6616392.jpg

1826584355_LLNYFirstLookBrickDropHiRes.thumb.jpg.a0943925cb3f02709c402b4479d5ad74.jpg

LLNYFirstLookAerial2.thumb.jpg.9fca62b9bd555ce3e7f3b26bfba36b30.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.9a16d511865f0c55e5964b861014cdfe.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I think this will be a huge success in New York. I used to love the Legoland in California as a kid and I think there's a huge market for this kind've thing within a short drive from NYC. I always thought the seasonal nature of NYC would keep these warmer climate chains away from the area but I'm glad to see them give it a shot.

I think this will be a huge success in New York. I used to love the Legoland in California as a kid and I think there's a huge market for this kind've thing within a short drive from NYC. I always thought the seasonal nature of NYC would keep these warmer climate chains away from the area but I'm glad to see them give it a shot.

While it is seasonal I don't expect the offseason to be very long. I'd be shocked if the operating calendar isn't from late March / Early April through New Years.

PS: I finally looked at this place on a map and realized that the park is right up the road from Woodbury Commons which is a huge outlet mall right at the intersection of the NYS Thruway (87) and route 6 (where the park will be). People from the city flock to that area in droves, often on coach buses from the Port Authority / Manhattan. I feel like they'll do some type of partnership and (probably) run a f*ck ton more buses from NYC. This place is going to print money.

This place is going to print money.

Yup!

The hotel in middle of nowhere Polk County averages about $300/night on weekends and they just announced a third hotel for the property. This New York one will be insanely priced and sold out all the time!

Edited by SharkTums

While it is seasonal I don't expect the offseason to be very long. I'd be shocked if the operating calendar isn't from late March / Early April through New Years.

Agreed, there also doesn't seem to be all that much planned that couldn't operate in cold weather. But the article does state this; "Scheduled to hold its grand opening in spring 2020, the Park will be open seasonally from spring to fall." So I don't think it'll run through New Years right away. I'm sure it won't be long before there is a winter/holiday event thrown in though. That would also be a huge success if they do it well.

Hopefully this opens the door for many more parks in the area.

PS: I finally looked at this place on a map and realized that the park is right up the road from Woodbury Commons which is a huge outlet mall right at the intersection of the NYS Thruway (87) and route 6 (where the park will be). People from the city flock to that area in droves, often on coach buses from the Port Authority / Manhattan. I feel like they'll do some type of partnership and (probably) run a f*ck ton more buses from NYC. This place is going to print money.

In droves. Indeed. A f*ck ton.

• 1 year later...

Merlin Entertainments has announced that LEGOLAND New York Resort will set its grand opening date for the Fourth of July in 2020!

https://www.merlinentertainments.biz/newsroom/news-releases/2019/legoland-new-york-resort/

llnyr-entrance-arch.jpg.0c006ec636be1979796099b00d016776.jpg

Wave the stars and stripes and start counting down to the fireworks! LEGOLAND® New York Resort will hold its bricktastic Grand Opening celebration on July 4, 2020, theme park officials announced today.

“The Fourth of July means family and at LEGOLAND theme parks, families can ride, climb, play, learn and build together. At the same time, kids can celebrate their own independence by riding their first roller coaster, the Dragon, or driving their first car at LEGOLAND Driving School. We’re thrilled to invite families across the northeast, the country and the world to make our theme park a tradition for summer fun. 4th July 2020 marks the opening of the first major theme park in the northeast in decades is a once-in-a-lifetime event, and you can be sure we’ll throw a star-spangled party to celebrate it!” MATT BESTERMAN, PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER, LEGOLAND NEW YORK

“Our Park is in high gear and we’re on track for opening. Buildings are going up, concrete is being poured and construction is buzzing across our site. Ride components, such as the track for our Dragon coaster, are arriving in Goshen to be installed. Our LEGO® models – more than 15,000 of them – are being shipped to our site from Merlin Magic Making workshops all over the world. This is truly a global effort, with thousands of people working together to build the ultimate LEGO theme park destination here in the Hudson Valley.” JOHN USSHER, SENIOR DIVISIONAL DIRECTOR, LEGOLAND NEW YORK

LEGOLAND New York Resort will be the largest LEGOLAND theme park Merlin Entertainments has ever built, with more than 50 rides, shows and attractions across seven themed “lands” on 150 acres.

For more information about LEGOLAND New York Resort, visit their website.

llnyr-park-aerial-rendering.jpg.6ee5cf16a81613e4de6f11dd9a33c995.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 11 months later...

If I'm not mistaken, each of the cars has a little battery that is charged during load and unload. If you have ever caught a glimpse of the loading area for a Disney trackless ride you'll see a little square panel on the floor, that's the charging pad.

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

Man...  if not for covid they would have totally been on track for that July opening. The park looks done... 🤣

Link

71CE79BF-2FF2-4596-99BC-855DA677DD97.jpeg

Looking at Legoland Dubai the park was in Previews in October,A couple months earlier it looked the same. They where def a month or two behind, but they where probably gonna put more construction workers on site. Remember rn that there is limited construction workers on site.