TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Paris (DLP) Discussion Thread

p. 53 - Symphony of Color drone show and daytime parade announced!

• 1 month later...

"Tower of Terror in Disneyland Paris becomes Guardians of the Galaxy"

240716roseala.jpg.aeda0e59aa0570003578b594e5b931ee.jpg

It seems very likely that The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror in Disneyland Paris is being transformed into a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. According to the Disney ED92 fansite, the famous tower will get a totally different theme within the next few years.

Reportedly, the first preparations will start in March 2018. Between September 2018 and March 2019, the attraction would be closed for a complete transformation. The current storyline around the Hollywood Tower Hotel will disappear definitively.

The same thing happened earlier in the US Disneyland Resort in California. This is where Tower of Terror is now living as "Guardians of the Galaxy" Mission: Breakout!" Based on the 2014 Marvel Guardianship Movie Actors. The interior and exterior have changed dramatically.

Disneyland Paris wants to give Marvel's superheroes a prominent place in the Walt Disney Studios Park in the coming years. Since 2014, there is already a meet-and-greet location with Spider-Man. Marvel Comics has been owned by Disney since 2009.

Source

...Disneyland Paris wants to give Marvel's superheroes a prominent place in the Walt Disney Studios Park in the coming years. Since 2014, there is already a meet-and-greet location with Spider-Man. Marvel Comics has been owned by Disney since 2009.

Although the GoTG overlay will definitely increase interest for those who return to the park, I am hoping there is another "attraction" in the works for actually expanding (space wise) the Marvel Universe at the Studios, "in the coming years." And who knows? Maybe what's being created at EPCOT for GoTG, might be duplicated and brought to the Studios! With a different Marvel superheroes theme to it.

But - it's all good so far, yes?

According to the Disney ED92 fansite

Wait - that's not what I would call a reliable source.

If they do that I'll be pretty bummed. Rock'n'Roller Coaster was a better choice for a GotG upgrade! There's already the random musics, a coaster allows more flexibility than ToT, the Aerosmith theming is dated, etc.

If they lose the Twilight Zone license, they can still have a story based on an haunted hotel that's not a problem. But to shoe-horn GotG into that... And our ToT is the front emblem of the WDS, the first thing you see when you arrive. Having that giant warehouse welcoming you isn't the most thrilling thing, especially as we can't develop a proper Marvel area around it (or we have to re-do the whole park).

... (or we have to re-do the whole park).

Now there's an idea! Like Disney California Adventure, hmm? Disney might actually have to go that way if they want to get ahead with any coherent all-over theming for the entire park. The right side of it isn't too bad (Crush/Cars-Ratatouille-TSL), since it was all put together after the Studios opened. But I really believe that the Tram Tour is going to have to go, eventually. Then, that will open a TON of space, connected to space that was already there, behind the Tram Tour.

And turn Catastrophe Canyon into a stand-alone, enclosed COASTER attraction, hmm?

IMG_9407.JPG.67574a0e15739cf0296a0d13db60c9f9.JPG

Last full shot I took of ToT ~ Sept.23, 2015.

... (or we have to re-do the whole park).

Now there's an idea!

I'm with you both on that one!

Now, about the GotG rumor... while I'm not against the transformation itself, I feel that there are so many better places in the park to spend the money, and where it's a lot more needed as well.

Now for something that is confirmed, DLP has announced their Christmas lineup for this year.

http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/events/christmas-at-disneyland-paris/

The projection show on Tower of Terror is anything but surprising to me, as when I left Disneyland on my final day two weeks ago I could see them testing some of the projections.

But I really believe that the Tram Tour is going to have to go, eventually. Then, that will open a TON of space, connected to space that was already there, behind the Tram Tour.

The tram tour is a giant barrier preventing WDS from expanding westward. If the park is ever going to truly blossom IMO it HAS to go.

^ The tram tour was 'okay' for what it was, back when the park opened. IMhO. And after riding it one more time back in 2015, now it's just a bunch of prop/set pieces, cars, and one "big scene" at either end of it (Canyon and burnt out London). And most (if not all) of the movies represented, no one really remembers any more. I know I didn't.

^ That smells like a Splash-like Mountain to me. Or something else tall --- and woodsy, LOL!

fozziebear.jpeg.a823ae3bc12a273a65f52586b835efe7.jpeg

GrizzlyRiverRun.jpg.2e0d134b4dff271f4c21edf3c070d845.jpg

This was posted on the net - an early possible conception of where a rapids ride would go in Frontierland at DLP.

Definitely the same layout (to me) as the one at DCA. Could be interesting, yes? No?

Went to the parks for the first time in 12 years...doesn't really feel like much has changed. The main park desperately needs a new E-ticket. New projection show looked cool, but I didn't like the fact that most of the show doesn't actually use the castle as anything more than a screen. I was expecting the content to be custom made to the castle.

^ The new castle projection show is VERY similar to Shanghai's to the extent that a lot of the scenes are pretty much exactly the same. As a result the new show doesn't really match up with the "shape" of the castle and it feels like a real step down from the last show.

Dreams was custom made for DLP's 20th and really used the castle's shape and size to add to the show. It was MUCH better than the current 25th anniversary Illuminations show. I was so disappointed when I saw the new one this year.

I think we really need to talk about what they did to Big Thunder. I rode it last time in 2008, and it was amazing! Now, I come back in 2017 and they have actually (somehow) slowed the train down for the entire ride. And, the wheels now make a really terrible noise, presumably because of the mechanism that slows the train. And it is so loud, that you can hear it from the walk ways across the river.

Does anyone know why the park would want to ruin one of their best attractions? It was the best Big Thunder Disney had ever made, and not it is at the bottom of the list.

I noticed that too. I assume its the wheel compound and there is more friction than before. Ride was definitely slowed practically to a crawl until the final tunnel, which was also way slower than I remember.

Now that you mention it, I did notice that the ride made some rather loud noises in a couple of spots, but it never occurred to me that the ride had a built in mechanism in the trains to slow the ride down. I did however notice a couple of trim brakes throughout the ride.

Even with the ride being slowed down, I thought it was a ton of fun, and to me the last tunnel still felt really fast. If it was running much faster before then I would have loved to have ridden that version of the ride.

I really doubt you'd notice the speed difference in a video.

But Joey is probably right. Could be the wheels themselves are causing more friction then the old ones. Whether that's intentional or not is unknown. I am hoping this is something that's temporary because it really has affected the ride in a negative way.

^ That's too bad to read about BTM. It felt great back in late 2015 when we were there.

I remember us riding it several times, because it was smooth and wild at the same time.

I hope things improve for it. Soon. It is a jewel in that Park's Crown.

IMG_9257-.JPG.4477fe8a1c19fa882f27970f8fc0a56f.JPG

Great ride back then. Sept.2015. Taken from Phantom Manor's front porch.

That's a great video! I never saw a castle show fly by, so fast LOL!

Not to mention "all those ants" scurrying about. Pretty funny in some spots.

Thanks for sharing it. BTW, who made it?