TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Great news to finally have a new ride announcement waiting in the wings!

I'm especially intrigued about this quote: “We believe this ride, and the investment level into its size, scope and family thrill level will entice families from all over the northeast and into southern Ontario and Canada."

Here are my guesses on what Darien Lake's new 2018 ride will be. So far all we got in terms of clues are family/thrill and roller coaster.

* A spinning coaster

* Hopefully not a flat ride pseudo-coaster (like what the local media when DL announced Rolling Thunder in 2015)

* A family wooden coaster

* A family coaster that kids under 48 can ride as well as adults

Here are my guesses on what Darien Lake's new 2018 ride will be. So far all we got in terms of clues are family/thrill and roller coaster.

* A spinning coaster

* Hopefully not a flat ride pseudo-coaster (like what the local media when DL announced Rolling Thunder in 2015)

* A family wooden coaster

* A family coaster that kids under 48 can ride as well as adults

Roller coaster is just a rumor at this point. The only thing we can go off of is what Chris Thorpe said which was a family thrill. I'm hopeful it isn't another flat ride. I'm guessing though that it will be some type of coaster since they are hoping to draw in more people. It could be a family type roller coaster like the Cedar Creek Mine Ride at Cedar Point, or the Cocoa Cruiser at Hershey.

It's gonna be a Starflyer. You just watch.

I was actually going to post the same thing. Personally I am not a fan of those types of rides, but it would fit their description mentioned perfectly.

Although I am not sure that a 250' star flyer would provide the greatest of views (other than towering over the park)...unless you like to ogle at corn fields and farms.

I would take a starflyer or Frisbee type of ride. Personally, with the statement of family thrills, I don'the expect a coaster. My guess is either a Mack Splash Battle to replace Thunder Rapids or a Sally interactive dark ride. With that being said, I am 99% sure I will be happy with whatever they add.

I'm happy that a new ride has been hinted for the park and I wouldn't have a problem with it being a Star Flyer but then again would it be something new? How long has Fantasy Island had Flight, their Zamperla Vertical Swing?

IIRC, Fantasy Island has had that swing tower since at least 2007, so i'm guessing ten years.

I think at the end of the day as long as it’s something on a larger scale such as a giant frisbee, screamin’ swing or star flyer; a non-rollercoaster addition could be pretty epic. All three of the aforementioned rides are awesome spectator attractions on top of being pretty great rides as well. And it’s evident at a place like Cedar Point which has all three. You see people whom haven’t seen the rides in person before staring at them in awe! Especially SkyHawk. Which, I wouldn’t mind having something like SkyHawk a little closer to home! regardless I feel as though we may know a little more come Thursday when they go to the board for approval

2018 predictions:

- free WiFi

- a ride removal

- new photo locations

- new food stand

And...eb7ecaf26c62551df4f677be7aba772b.jpg

A new ride(s) is all but confirmed already...

It will be pretty much made official next Thursday if that article was true. Which I understand there’s a chance it’s false but the writing on the wall is pointing to a rather large addition for the park - relatively speaking

While I’m at it, we have a new article today that Chris Thorpe was interviewed for.

“It’s very hard for me to not come out of my skin in excitement, to talk about what we want to do,” Thorpe said. “We believe this ride, and the investment level into its size, scope and family thrill level will entice families from all over the northeast and into southern Ontario and Canada. People will reap the rewards of visiting Darien Lake and see what Genesee County has to offer.

The ride will be Darien Lake’s first major investment since the RipCurl Racer waterslide in 2016. Thorpe said the project will invest roughly $5 million within the current footprint of the park and be operational by 2018.

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn01/darien-lake-keeps-next-ride-a-secret-for-now-20171005

So, what about that announcement you said would happen?

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn01/darien-lake-keeps-next-ride-a-secret-for-now-20171005

So, what about that announcement you said would happen? Just wait it's still not even 8:30. *Update* Earlier Darien tweeted this picture of what seems to be facing the current site of the PAC, it could be just a tweet, but it also might not.

It says "equipment" meaning new ride, not ride upgrades right? *Edit* The town of Darien will have a planning board meeting tomorrow, will they discuss this new ride?

Did they get approved for the write off? I feel like that’s a more important question to ask - unless it says they did somewhere and I’m just oblivious to it

I either think it is another water park expansion, maybe a water coaster or a complex, or a flat ride expansion. Maybe one big flat ride, perhaps a Zamperla giant discovery or sky screamer, and one or two small kiddie or family rides.

Or a Zamperla Thunderbolt But i think Darien Lake should do something useful with that land and maybe add in a few flat rides as well.

I either think it is another water park expansion, maybe a water coaster or a complex, or a flat ride expansion. Maybe one big flat ride, perhaps a Zamperla giant discovery or sky screamer, and one or two small kiddie or family rides.

Or a Zamperla Thunderbolt But i think Darien Lake should do something useful with that land and maybe add in a few flat rides as well.

Lol. A Thunderbolt is over budget, they cost about ten million dollars. If it is going to be a new coaster, I hope it is a Vekoma suspended family coaster. Those things are a BLAST to ride. I love the one at Frontier City. It feels so cool to have your feet dangling, yet you don't have a bulky over the should restraint! Though I'm sure that would be over budget, too.