TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb & Elissa's Oktoberfest 2017 Trip!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the trio of coasters like Hollenblitz, Olympia Looping, and Drifting...this would be a perfect traveling group to ride.

Do not forget Alpina Bahn which is massive too. Come on out next year! Oktoberfest is amazing. Plus beer of course and silly music you can sing along with

^a/k/a Tagada! And anything that translates to "Tumbler" is ok by me!

(Pardon the sidebar, here. And this would NEVER work in the USA.)

asia__12_-_days_18-20_-_chengdu_155.jpg.251391a9c9a3531d80b5aeca6679270c.jpg

In a park in China. Pic from TPR ~ The 2012 China Tour. Crazy awesome flat ride! I/We rode it to "Call Me, Maybe?"..!

It will probably have 7 when it comes back to London this November

Has it been confirmed that Olympia Looping is coming back to London?

They haven't started promoting it yet, but it's definitely is coming.

Barth (showman that owns Olympia Looping) certainly won't say no... Winter Wonderland was the first time ever that it ran 7 car trains outside of the Oktoberfest, due to the incredible demand it got. For all other fairs in Germany, they use 5 car trains, even for the other really big ones in the Ruhr area, Hamburg and Stuttgart (though Olympia hasn't been to either of the last two in years, due to the increased transport costs. It used to be at 7-8 fairs a year, now it's down to 3-4).

Btw, Robb, have you ever been to the "Cannstatter Wasen" fair in Stuttgart? I'm asking because you propably passed right by Stuttgart on your way from Munich to Europa Park while it was on (today is its last day, actually). This years line-up includes Teststrecke (Schwartzkopf Double Looping, the former Laser from Dorney Park), a classic big Schwartzkopf Wildcat called Rock'n'Roller Coaster, a huge Spinning Coaster, and lots and lots of flatrides, including the insane KMG prototype "Infinity".

Btw, Robb, have you ever been to the "Cannstatter Wasen" fair in Stuttgart? I'm asking because you propably passed right by Stuttgart on your way from Munich to Europa Park while it was on

Never been, but to be honest, hitting multiple fairs really isn't my thing. We hit Oktoberfest once every few years and that pretty much fills my personal quota for giant European fairs.

Cannstatter Wasen is actually pretty nice and a little more relaxed vs Oktoberfest. But Oktoberfest tops it all of course. I understand that one can get tired of the fairs. I do Dippemess in my hometown Frankfurt in the Spring, Wäldchestag, which is a big fair/party in the forest in June(my favorite) and Oktoberfest and that it is for me. It is expensive too. Heck, you spent in one night double of what you would spent for a Six Flags Season Pass

Edit: Just wanted to add that different fairs have also different vibes. It is a interesting culture. Last year I went to the "biggest" wine festival on earth and did not even know there was a fair, It was crazy fun and a little Oktoberfest like with the tents, yet completely different. I was amazed. I think it is worth to check up on some other fairs. If it sucks, there is always beer and good food,lol

I've been to several big fairs in Germany, UK, Spain, France, etc over the years. While I have enjoyed each one of them, the only one I would really go out of my way to visit is Oktoberfest. Fairs in general just do not have that great of interest to me. The only caveat would be that if a major ride like Olympia Looping (Read mostly likely ONLY Olympia Looping) happened to be set up at a fair we happened to be near and it didn't impact something else we were doing.

I'm not a huge "flat ride" person and I can more than happily get my fill during Oktoberfest.

Thanks for sharing this TR, I really enjoyed it !

Oktoberfest looks amazing!

Actually I don't like beer... but despite that I'm considering to visit it next year.

How did you guys like the Klugheim area and especially Taron in Phantasialand ?

It's my favourite coaster so I'm curious how you experienced it.

Did you rode it also in the evening during the hotel guest ERT ?

Thanks for sharing this TR, I really enjoyed it !

Oh the TR hasn't even really started yet! Lots more photos to share!

How did you guys like the Klugheim area and especially Taron in Phantasialand ?

I enjoyed the area and Taron very much! The coaster might have been a *little* overhyped and while it's not my favorite at the park, we really REALLY enjoyed it and can't wait to go back and give it another ride! Winjas is still my personal favorite ride at Phantasialand.

Edited by robbalvey

I enjoyed the area and Taron very much! The coaster might have been a *little* overhyped and while it's not my favorite at the park, we really REALLY enjoyed it and can't wait to go back and give it another ride! Winjas is still my personal favorite ride at Phantasialand.

Please tell me you not only rode Taron in the morning but also in late afternoon / evening ?

It seems that it need some time to get warm and become faster. Later on the day it kicks much more ass than in the morning

I'm quite surprised that the Winja's are your personal favorite ride at the park!

For me Taron is my overall number one (wich means it beats Expedition Geforce, Karnan, Silverstar, Blue fire,...)

Personal top in Phantasialand is : Taron, Black mamba, Colorado adventure, Winja's, Temple of the nighthawk (long and relaxing ride ) and Raik in that order.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

We rode it morning, noon, and night. Sorry, it just meandered a bit too much for me and others. Two spots of airtime on a coaster that long and impressive looking was disappointing. There were parts that made me nauseous, like seasick, from twisting back and forth.

I enjoyed it, but also thought the layout left a lot to be desired. I wish more of the twists were airtime hills. Winja's would be my number 1 as well, since it is just silly fun that you don't expect from a wild mouse.

That's what I would say about Taron. The coaster basically does everything right. The area is great, and the coaster does a fantastic job interacting with it. The ride is very long and twisted, to the point that I still cannot remember the entire layout by heart even after 10+ rides. However, the track layout is definitely not up to quality of some of the other coasters it gets compared to. Taron is certainly no Piraten, Expedition GeForce, or Maverick. I was a little disappointed by the layout, BUT I was still very satisfied by the experience as a whole. Flying through rapid turns, around fake rocks, and around pathways is surprisingly fun, which is what makes Taron a top ten in my opinion, even if the layout is not top ten material by itself.