TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I've got to be honest, we're going back in September and we'll probably just skip Kraken entirely. It's a shame, it would be cool to check it out but it's not worth the aggravation for a ride that, in my opinion, is the weakest major coaster in the park (though it's still a lot of fun).

On a related note, when we were at Universal last week we had Express passes and rode every major ride that we wanted to ride in both parks with time for re-rides and just skipped Fallon entirely because we didn't want to deal with it and didn't care enough about the IP to justify the aggravation. The queueless system is noble in theory but it's stupid in practice.

As I mentioned earlier this is even more annoying at Sea World because your day is already so structured around showtimes (generally we always try to do Dine with Shamu and see One Ocean, Clyde and Seamore and Dolphin Days and that's really not an easy thing to do in one day) that having Kraken spit out a random return time that could screw all of that up is just too much of a pain in the A$$ to justify riding it IMO.

I wish they would at least designate non-VR hours where you can ride Kraken with it's typical 5 minute wait and not have to deal with any of this crap. Cedar Point does this really well with Iron Dragon, Six Flags has finally picked up on the idea too. Hopefully Sea World eventually follows suit.

I agree with you! I also would like some designated non-VR times to ride Kraken without all the headache and long waits. VR coasters are a good idea on paper, but the cleaning and long waits makes it clear simulator rides are the better way to go. Besides, people love the view on coasters. I love the visuals. I enjoy simulator rides too, but why ruin a good coaster to basically turn it into a simulator ride?

Side note: I see the mimes are back for Sea Lions Tonight show. That's great. I always enjoy a good laugh and their antics. I would like them back every show. Those crossing guards and their annoying whistle, ugh, I can do without.

Got to go the park the other day for a couple hours to see a few of the new attractions, didn't get a chance to see Pop or Sea Lions tonight but did the other new stuff.

Kraken Unleashed: Awesome. I've never been on a VR coaster before but it was amazing, the movie was gorgeous and synced up great to the coaster. Went up earlier in the day to grab a return ticket, then when we came back we only had to wait in the line for 15 minutes which was awesome. They did run out of return tickets later in the day so its smart to either go get one first thing or use the spotsaver website once you get into the park to make sure you get a ride

Dolphin Nursery: Way better than the old one, they have cool underwater viewing areas and little portholes you can sit in, and the baby dolphins where coming over and checking everybody out and the whole area just looked way nicer

Ignite/electric ocean: I think everyone needs to check this show out this summer. It was really cool how they let you stand on the stage at bayside stadium to watch the show if you want and its the best place to do it from, there is loads of fountains, lasers, lights, fireworks and fire and if you stand on the front of the stage are pretty much surrounded by everything so its super immersive. The music was good and the dancers and acrobats in the area before Ignite started were awesome to watch, and they were really good at interacting and engaging with the guests

• 2 months later...
How busy does the park get/the waits for the coasters in mid Oct on a Friday, Saturday, and Sun? Thanks!

Other than around major holidays and some summer weekends, you should be fine just about any day; especially in October. Likely walk on to 15-20 minutes at most. The only thing that will have a line longer than that would be Antarctica Empire Of The Penguin. You can however skip that and just view the penguins like I usually do...lol There may be a lot of children in the park for their Spooktacular event (Sat & Sun), which is in it's own area that's normally closed off when there are no events.

[EDIT TO ADD]

If you're just looking to go one day, Friday would be the least busy with school in session.

How busy does the park get/the waits for the coasters in mid Oct on a Friday, Saturday, and Sun? Thanks!

Wait times for coasters are rarely an issue at SeaWorld.

I remember when we went in October 2009 and pretty much everything was a walk-on (including Manta) which was a pretty refreshing change of pace from what you'd see at Disney or Universal.

It's that wonderful time of year again in Central Florida where special events fill the parks and guests have even more to enjoy on top of the already stellar experiences offered year round! SeaWorld Orlando continues to offer a family-friendly, daytime offering for guests of all ages to enjoy during their day at the park. Shamu's Halloween Spooktacular is a fantastic complement to the park's existing lineup and adds a unique trick or treating option for guests to enjoy throughout the day. There is even a special Halloween show offered during the event in the Pets Ahoy theater, Countdown to Halloween, which features characters from Sesame Street.

IMG_7380.thumb.JPG.1fe45e4db47a9f83fac3484114c01351.JPG

Added SeaWorld's Halloween Spooktacular decor can be found throughout the park.

IMG_7411.thumb.JPG.d46a4ea5c54291bae3b09ee13e7af19b.JPG

I'm not sure how new this is but there's a choose-your-own-flavor Dippin' Dots stand!

IMG_7412.thumb.JPG.34bae73b3431d3d4838280114a6cb64f.JPG

I kind of went crazy with this opportunity...

IMG_7413.thumb.JPG.dd55da5fa0d88ff82ec5fb0d44812263.JPG

SeaWorld's Halloween Spooktacular extends throughout a good portion of the park and there are many treat stops for guests to enjoy!

IMG_7414.thumb.JPG.ac6c54bf3f801a8f483cea95f336fce9.JPG

Be on the look out for pumpkin fish!

IMG_7415.thumb.JPG.d992881204b02e4b756b491ef9f68266.JPG

Treat stops are marked with signage like this and the lines move very quickly.

IMG_7416.thumb.JPG.caafdf60fc73881ee4f1d47bbb24f66c.JPG

There is no limit as to how many times you can go back through treat lines... So feel free to go back for more!

IMG_7417.thumb.JPG.40a2d634b003c8db82f0249f9b5d20e9.JPG

There are roaming Halloween characters from under the sea that you can encounter near the Halloween Spooktacular booths.

IMG_7419.thumb.JPG.db00851e5454a04594ddd33fc6c79cad.JPG

Hanging out with the natives...

IMG_7421.thumb.JPG.4f7746e4a975d0f3d565fefde7cd8c4e.JPG

Candies offered during the event are notable like Skittles and M&Ms.

IMG_7424.thumb.JPG.35641361c0cb11c1f0df9aea3ec76c6f.JPG

Even more friendly characters over by Wild Arctic!

IMG_7425.thumb.JPG.41cfd9407980d9a8c0053344df2c9bb8.JPG

Tootsie Rolls!

IMG_7427.thumb.JPG.e682f66ae7e0bf58395c463631029b7e.JPG

Looking towards the festival side of the park...

IMG_7428.thumb.JPG.489b9901aee06af8375c38615bf2559b.JPG

Don't forget to look around--you may find some friendly spooks hanging out throughout the park.

IMG_7430.thumb.JPG.2a9a1a1a3ea38785b14328dab9900040.JPG

Smarties are always a go-to option for candies that last a long time...

IMG_7433.thumb.JPG.bdbe2f4df1e568939ad3cdfbe7163a31.JPG

Another rogue pumpkin fish in a while!

IMG_7435.thumb.JPG.5d80f18fe6d99dec83cf4d8881b5b818.JPG

Guests can meet and take a photo with a mermaid while at the event.

IMG_7440.thumb.JPG.d417320ff0c838cb70c95feed5b07ad4.JPG

They grow up so quickly!

IMG_7441.thumb.JPG.4fd83b8c899ca92b12de2bab83d60fe3.JPG

M&Ms!

IMG_7444.thumb.JPG.f9267febe4a3c9b6b9bb680c90f8f10a.JPG

Lots of waterfront entertainment for guests of all ages in the festival section of the park.

IMG_7449.thumb.JPG.df5356168d64303902127e5061eaa67e.JPG

Some neat set pieces.

IMG_7452.thumb.JPG.153968ce95395cfb82e599776751c6b4.JPG

Guests can control the water fountain in the park's central lagoon with this neat control panel on the water's edge.

IMG_7453.thumb.JPG.e903e308345356364f1c2cb9733909fe.JPG

Sesame Street Countdown to Halloween is the special show offered only during SeaWorld's Halloween Spectacular for younger guests and their families

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 weeks later...

Ray Rush Coming to Aquatica Orlando in 2018

1821666999_rayrush.jpg.dd430ce00577e2cb8349ac9625957026.jpg

NEW FAMILY RAFT SLIDE OFFERS THREE-IN-ONE THRILLS FOR GUESTS OF ALL AGES

1507583496-a81511073ab56682d69fc87aed0df3cb.thumb.jpg.0e9bf5112801e19aa97f77b4ea75216b.jpg

ORLANDO, Fla. (October 12, 2017) – A brand-new family raft slide is splashing into Aquatica, SeaWorld’s Waterpark in spring 2018. Ray Rush promises to be a fully-loaded water adventure which will combine three unique slide elements, never before seen at Aquatica, into one action-packed attraction the entire family can enjoy together.

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

At nearly 60 feet tall, Ray Rush is where family and friends can take on three exciting thrills as they slide, splash and soar like never before. First, riders will be launched at 33 feet per second with water jets designed to propel rafts into the first of several enclosed tube sections. Next, riders will swirl into a colossal translucent sphere which spins the raft around the slide walls before entering another enclosed tube section. Finally, riders will drop into an open-air halfpipe that resembles the shape of a manta ray. Rafts will soar back and forth on the wings of the manta before entering the final enclosed tube section that ends with a splash.

“Ray Rush will offer a ride experience you won’t be able to get anywhere else in Florida. Aquatica will be the first waterpark in the state to combine these three unique elements into one attraction” said Cathy Valeriano, Aquatica Orlando vice president. “Ray Rush is the perfect addition to our attraction portfolio, complementing what is already one of the most family-friendly waterslide lineups in Orlando.”

Ray Rush will have a height requirement of 42” to appeal to families with children and will accommodate up to four riders per raft. The new slide will be located on the north side of the park next to Walkabout Waters.

In order to make way for the new attraction, HooRoo Run will close permanently on October 31, 2017. To accommodate construction, Walhalla Wave will temporarily close on this date and re-open in spring 2018 alongside Ray Rush. For a limited-time, Aquatica Pass Members will receive a one-time Quick Queue to ride both HooRoo Run and Walhalla Wave on select days in October before construction begins in November.

The best way to experience Aquatica is with an Aquatica Orlando Annual Pass. For a limited-time, Florida residents can purchase an Aquatica Orlando Annual Pass for only $10 per month with EZpay. Aquatica Pass Members enjoy unlimited admission and free parking as well as discounts and the opportunity to be among the first to ride Ray Rush when it opens in spring 2018. For more information, visit AquaticaOrlando.com.

Assemble your squad and get ready to turn up the fun at Aquatica in 2018. Get the latest Ray Rush updates by following Aquatica on Facebook and the SeaWorld Blog. Join the #RayRush conversation using #SplashSquad2018.

Edited by robbalvey

For those of you that like to keep score, it looks like a WhiteWater installation with an AquaSphere and a Manta. Appropriate for being called "Ray Run".

• 1 month later...
Ray Rush Coming to Aquatica Orlando in 2018

At nearly 60 feet tall, Ray Rush is where family and friends can take on three exciting thrills as they slide, splash and soar like never before. First, riders will be launched at 33 feet per second with water jets designed to propel rafts into the first of several enclosed tube sections. Next, riders will swirl into a colossal translucent sphere which spins the raft around the slide walls before entering another enclosed tube section. Finally, riders will drop into an open-air halfpipe that resembles the shape of a manta ray. Rafts will soar back and forth on the wings of the manta before entering the final enclosed tube section that ends with a splash.

“Ray Rush will offer a ride experience you won’t be able to get anywhere else in Florida. Aquatica will be the first waterpark in the state to combine these three unique elements into one attraction” said Cathy Valeriano, Aquatica Orlando vice president. “Ray Rush is the perfect addition to our attraction portfolio, complementing what is already one of the most family-friendly waterslide lineups in Orlando.”

Ray Rush will have a height requirement of 42” to appeal to families with children and will accommodate up to four riders per raft. The new slide will be located on the north side of the park next to Walkabout Waters.

In order to make way for the new attraction, HooRoo Run will close permanently on October 31, 2017. To accommodate construction, Walhalla Wave will temporarily close on this date and re-open in spring 2018 alongside Ray Rush. For a limited-time, Aquatica Pass Members will receive a one-time Quick Queue to ride both HooRoo Run and Walhalla Wave on select days in October before construction begins in November.

The best way to experience Aquatica is with an Aquatica Orlando Annual Pass. For a limited-time, Florida residents can purchase an Aquatica Orlando Annual Pass for only $10 per month with EZpay. Aquatica Pass Members enjoy unlimited admission and free parking as well as discounts and the opportunity to be among the first to ride Ray Rush when it opens in spring 2018. For more information, visit AquaticaOrlando.com.

Assemble your squad and get ready to turn up the fun at Aquatica in 2018. Get the latest Ray Rush updates by following Aquatica on Facebook and the SeaWorld Blog. Join the #RayRush conversation using #SplashSquad2018.

I feel so honored that they named the ride after me.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the park yesterday and had an awesome time. Few things to note:

-FINALLY did Kraken VR after about nine months of thinking "VR is stupid," and... I mean, meh? I liked it, I guess... the visuals were clean, it was all synced up really well (except for the audio, the headphones didn't work. I told a ride op and they gave me a re-ride pass. Score. ), just... I don't know, I just can't see this being a permanent thing. Give it a few years, I'm sure the VR portion will phase out sooner or later. It's so much better without the screen strapped to your face, I can tell you that much.

-Mako gets better and better every time I ride it. It was my first time riding in the back row, and holy wow. That first drop is fan-tas-tic. It's my number one for a really good reason.

-The entire area with Wild Arctic/Happy Harbor needs a HUGE update. The entire kids area is sunbleached colors central, and Wild Arctic is just... so.... BAD. The animation looks like the definition of early 1990's 3D animation, and the motions of the ride are genuinely painful. Ugh. The exhibit is still the best in the park somehow.

-Manta in the backseat is God. All I gotta say.

^ I always made myself ride Wild Arctic because I really liked the animal exhibit (walrus for the win!) and I felt bad for the animals because I felt like no one ever saw them. (At least whenever I went it seemed deserted back there.). And I know you can go back to the animals without riding the ride, but idk. I liked Wild Arctic well enough. It desperately does need an update, and I hope they revamp it instead of just ripping it out.

-The entire area with Wild Arctic/Happy Harbor needs a HUGE update. The entire kids area is sunbleached colors central, and Wild Arctic is just... so.... BAD.

That area will soon become a Sesame Street themed area. No date set yet, but could see them start construction either after Infinity falls opens, or around this time next year after the busy holiday season.

It's a whole different experience in the back row. I've ridden it since 2010 and finally rode in the back on my last visit. I started "greying out". The only coaster so far that's happened on (so far).

^ I always made myself ride Wild Arctic because I really liked the animal exhibit (walrus for the win!) and I felt bad for the animals because I felt like no one ever saw them. (At least whenever I went it seemed deserted back there.). And I know you can go back to the animals without riding the ride, but idk. I liked Wild Arctic well enough. It desperately does need an update, and I hope they revamp it instead of just ripping it out.

Technically, you aren't supposed to go in through the exit. They will turn you around if there are employees present.

Technically, you aren't supposed to go in through the exit. They will turn you around if there are employees present.

I meant the non-simulator option I thought was offered, where you could just walk through if you wanted. I’m not sure if that’s how it worked, though; I always rode the ride.

Not gonna argue with this statement. That feeling when you're being pulled over the top in the pretzel loop is a proper "oh shit" moment! Love it!

The pretzel loop was insane in all rows. I think the most noticeable thing riding in the back was that some of the elements that just seemed graceful up front pulled good Gs in the back. The first drop is what stood out most to me.

I rode Kraken yesterday twice, once with and once without the VR. The VR is a solid "meh" out of 10. It would have been pretty neat if it were part of a more traditional motion simulator ride, but on the coaster, it took away more than it added to the ride. My mother on the other hand absolutely loved it, but refused to ride it again without VR because she found it too intense when she rode it years ago shortly after it was built. I'm glad I did the VR experience once to say I did, but probably would go for the traditional coaster experience in the future.

Additionally, the VR experience is NOT at all worth the sigificantly inflated dispatch times, as much as 240 seconds according to the screen in the station, which was more than twice Mako's dispatch times, and that was WITH rows 1-4 being designated non-VR to increase capacity. When all 8 cars were being boarded with VR passengers, dispatch times surged to over 300 seconds.

While it would obviously be an impractical (at the least) retrofit to Kraken, I would probably say that a double loading station is practically a necessity for VR rides due to the absurd dispatch times.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's being said on Instagram that VR has been completely removed from Kraken. The old restraints have returned, but the sci-fi theming still stands.

Has anyone been to the park recently? Can I get a source on this? Fingers crossed it's true.