Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 741: Howl-O-Scream Preview Trip Report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby PixelRush » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:25 am

Jcoaster wrote:
Jason Maier wrote:Now Gwazi doesn't get RMC'd . . . . what (if anything) goes in its place?

What would go there....Who knows. What I'd like to see there....A Mega-Lite style coaster.

They already have Cheetah Hunt, which is pretty similar so I think they'd avoid it. But going with the sister-park logic that SeaWorld does, perhaps they could even just take it down and put a new GCI there to fill the lack of a wooden coaster, maybe a more intense kind a la Gold Striker compared to InvadR. It's an interesting situation, but as long as it doesn't stand SBNO for much longer and something happens I'd be happy.
I have the rumblies, the rumblies that only AIRTIME can satisfy. :airtimer:
Top Steel: Maverick [Cedar Point] Top Wood: El Toro [Six Flags Great Adventure] Coaster Count: 74
My username is Zergei on the NLE Forum (to be NLC someday...)
Proud member of the Cult of Skank Mountain, where the airtime is to die for.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:59 am

Cheetah Hunt is similar to a Mega-Lite? Have you ever ridden one?
Lightning Rod, Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , Phantom's Revenge, , StormRunner

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby bert425 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:27 am

Jcoaster wrote:Cheetah Hunt is similar to a Mega-Lite? Have you ever ridden one?

if you go to the Intamin page, and look up Mega-Lite, the example looks like Cheetah Hunt track. . think that's where the poster is getting the comparison from.

https://www.intaminworldwide.com/project/mega-lite/

tho I don't think they are the same at all.. . maybe in appearance of track only?

ETA: and I love that the Intamin site uses TPR video for the example of Mega-Lite. . .
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby PixelRush » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:32 am

I probably should have spent more time working on the phrasing of that lol. When I say they're similar I mean mainly by association, I can tell the differences. The main thing is that variety and filling gaps in the lineup is better. If they'd like to they can get a thrill ride, but perhaps something different or more unique. Not complaining about the idea :P
I have the rumblies, the rumblies that only AIRTIME can satisfy. :airtimer:
Top Steel: Maverick [Cedar Point] Top Wood: El Toro [Six Flags Great Adventure] Coaster Count: 74
My username is Zergei on the NLE Forum (to be NLC someday...)
Proud member of the Cult of Skank Mountain, where the airtime is to die for.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby bgtlover » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 pm

I honestly don't see them adding another wooden coaster with them getting rid of basically 2 that are still SBNO. Even if it were built with steel supports, I don't see it. If not a giga, I'd be satisfied with an Intamin Mega-lite or Hyper. At least it would stand out against Mako up the road. That way there would be some sort of airtime coaster without inversions that makes up for not having a wood coaster in the park.
Current Coaster Count: 87
Top 10:
1-Fury 325...2-Mako...3-Kraken...4-Montu... 5-Afterburn...6-Cheetah Hunt...7-Thunderhead...8-Manta...9-Volcano...10-Alpengeist

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:35 am

Last night Theme Park Review was invited to attend this year's Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens Tampa. The event features 7 houses (2 of which are new), 5 scare zones (3 of which are new), 2 shows and 6 rides for guests to enjoy.

Starting with the new houses, here are our thoughts on Howl-O-Scream 2017!

Demented Dimensions - Our favorite house of the event, this house is located next to the Opening Night Critters theater and Sand Serpent, the venue where Zombie Mortuary had been hosted in previous years. This house plays by no rules and follows no singular story. Each room is a different theme, a different effect and a different scare. Howl-O-Scream fans will recognize some repurposed set pieces in this house but it is the entirely new rooms that set this house apart.

Undead Arena: Live - The other new house of the year, Undead Arena is neat in that it starts off with your group being separated into different paths (you meet midway through the house) and focuses more on the need to get out and less on the details of the rooms you're in. The opening trick set the tone for us and while the rooms were a little more bare than other houses', this was still a favorite of ours for the night. Undead Arena: Live operates in one of the pavilions found in Gwazi Park.

The Black Spot - A returning house from the previous year, this pirate-inspired house packed a punch with some great scares throughout the caverns. Inventive flooring and staging of set pieces in the existing caverns made this incredibly effective.

Zombie Containment Unit 15 - The only house not included in the Front of the Line pass because of its capacity and popularity. Best described as a combination between a traditional horror house and a game of laser tag, this year's version is far more tame with its linear path. The gimmick of using laser tag guns is a nifty one but one that ultimately isn't necessary for the enjoyment of the houses' scares and one that when compared to past Zombie Containment Unit houses, is far more simplified than the version that debuted at the event a few years back.

Death Water Bayou - Our returning favorite--the tone, the sets, the effects and the scares are all phenomenal. This is the closest thing you'd find to compare a Halloween Horror Nights house to a Howl-O-Scream offering--one that stands a chance to best its Orlando competitor.

Unearthed - A returning house from last year, this house runs throughout the former Gwazi queue (which is a real treat to walk as a coaster fanatic) and makes great use of the former ride's extended queue. Some great lighting and mechanical set pieces make this a top house of the year, and much better than we remembered from last year.

Motel Hell - A neat house with some fun scares... Our least favorite of the night, but that was more the fault of the other houses being so strong this year.
2.JPG
The horror begins outside of the entrance to the park... Very few places are safe during Howl-O-Scream!
1.JPG
3.JPG
The entrance of Howl-O-SCream is filled with sinister characters... And this is before you even enter the park!
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
We're in for a night of terror!
9.JPG
We have a feeling things aren’t going to end well for Adam tonight!
10.JPG
It wouldn’t be Howl-O-Scream without some bloody good beverage options!
11.JPG
First up at Howl-O-Scream 2017 was Zombie Containment Unit 15: Moving Targets. A combination of laser tag and a haunted house!
12.JPG
Getting briefed on how to survive Zombie Containment Unit!
13.JPG
The undead fill the halls of the Zombie Containment Unit!
14.JPG
Shoot the target, stun the zombie!
15.JPG
Night rides are always worth a spin on Cobra’s Curse especially when the wait times are so low!
16.JPG
Time to journey into the Death Water Bayou!
17.JPG
The ghost of Gwazi looms over the entrance of Death Water Bayou.
18.JPG
Setting the tone for such a brilliant house!
19.JPG
Hanging out with the natives of the Death Water Bayou...
20.JPG
Be on the lookout for the Bayou Queen!
21.JPG
Busch Gardens always finds a way to use its spining tunnel.
22.JPG
Fiends is an annual tradition at Busch Gardens Howl-O-Scream!
23.JPG
And the Naughty Nurses are happy to return each and every year!
24.JPG
The entrance area for The Black Spot.
26.JPG
One of the new scare zones this year...
27.JPG
With some very impressive roaming actors.
28.JPG
Only at Howl-O-Scream can you play bumper cars with a zombie!
30.JPG
A very cool idea!
29.JPG
A close encounter of the zombie kind.
31.JPG
Demented Dimensions features very unique rooms, one of which includes a colorful Alice in Wonderland section!
32.JPG
The giant rat monster from previous years' events has returned for another year of inducing terror.
33.JPG
Extremely effective!
34.JPG
CHEESE!
35.JPG
You never know where a ghost may appear!
36.JPG
The Meat Market is a collection of shops and games that guests can enjoy on their way towards Undead Arena: Live.
37.JPG
Of course there are scare actors here too!
38.JPG
Strike a pose!
39.JPG
This game has guests picking brains for prizes.
40.JPG
Want to bust these zombies' teeth out? For $3 you can.
41.JPG
The Meat Market area has a cart that is selling cooked caterpillars!
42.JPG
Heading into Undead Arena: Live!
43.JPG
We were separated from each other almost immediately upon entering the Undead Arena.
44.JPG
Who will win?
45.JPG
Motel Hell is the last of the returning houses...
46.JPG
Definitely a double-flusher.
47.JPG
This room is insanely effective!
48.JPG
Howl-O-Scream runs for 18 additional nights (the 19th was last night) this year and we'd strongly recommend you go out to Busch Gardens to check it out! You won't regret the quality and fun that goes into bringing this event to life!
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:07 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:51 am

^ :nina:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:06 am

Great report!

We'll be there next weekend and we can't wait. Howl O Scream is absolutely tremendous.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Dombot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:06 pm

So glad to see The Black Spot back again this year, and holy crap, Undead Arena looks awesome/terrifying. Can't wait!! :b
1. Mako 2. Kumba 3. Cheetah Hunt 4. Space Mountain (WDW) 5. Mine Blower

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Did anyone else happen to get a ride on SheiKra during HOS? I am not sure if it is new this year, but they have SheiKra riding Zomibies.
IMG_9672.JPG
SheiKra riding Zombies was a nice bonus.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!