Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Como Town and Como Zoo
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I own the website www.donkey.com

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Awesome report! It's funny how everyone gives the park so much crap but it looks really nice! The Dorney of the north! ;) Yeah, maybe they haven't gotten a new ride in 87 years, but it's looking good for what it is. We almost made a stop this year but in weighing my options and hearing all the negativity and looking over their "thrill" offerings on the website I was 50/50 and decided we'll have to go another time. I wish I had looked into it more closely and looked at everything they have to offer... then again there isn't a whole lot of info out there... (then again I don't subscribe to the TPR thread either... for all I know the last post was 87 years ago when they got that last new ride ;))

Hilarious as usual.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby AJK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Great report - glad to see my home state get some positive reviews. Having done those exact dune rides (I have a pennant from there in my room) I can say for a fact that they are very cool and one should definitely check them out when one goes to Michigan's Adventure and they have some free time.

Also, I should add that Michigan's Adventure's water park is actually quite large for the size of the dry park. There are three wave pools and a bunch of slides. Nice to see. I just hope that dry park gets some love soon.
Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Twisted Colossus 3. Millennium Force 4. Diamondback 5. Tatsu
Top 3 Wood: 1. Swamp Fox 2. Mystic Timbers 3. Shivering Timbers

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Awesome report, as usual. I'm glad you enjoyed Shivering Timbers--that thing's awesome. Zach's Zoomer is a legitimately good coaster, and though I enjoyed Wolverine Wildcat, it was admittedly before I rode Phoenix, so I totally get your assessment of it. Great Nor'Easter is the absolute best SLC, but Thunderhawk was actually really good, and the only other SLC I actually enjoyed.

Michigan's Adventure is definitely not a super great park, but it's a lot better than a lot of people give it credit for. I'm not in a huge hurry to get back to it, but it was a really good time, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to your Chicago adventures!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:29 pm

The foliage around the train has certainly grown in since I remember it from over 10 years ago.

Nice to hear that Shivering Timbers is holding up well. I wanted to include the park (just for Shivering Timbers) during one of my 2017 trips, but couldn't squeeze it in.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:39 am

Spectacular update. Shivering Timbers looks amazing. Really looking forward to Great America!

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am

Love the report! I barely ever see anything about Michigan's Adventure except complaining, and I've been curious for some time about how Shivering Timbers is riding. I've still never been to Michigan but it's on my to-do list as well as this park. Never knew about the dunes before, I'll have to check that out as well!

Looking forward to what you ended up doing in Chicago and don't forget to post some dolphin pics ;)
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby coasterer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:39 am

I haven't been to MA in about a decade, but my memories of Shivering Timbers rides still hold up against a lot of other rides. I loved that thing, and I'm glad to hear it still rides great. Like you say, it doesn't beat out the top top tier of some of the RMCs and Intamins today, but it's right up there after that. For a couple years after I rode it, I had it ranked 2nd after Voyage. I still rank Shivering Timbers in my top 10 woodies after all these years (which is obviously arbitrary), but speaks a lot to the impression it made on me.

I think with MA, Shivering Timbers is SO much better than everything else that it can really make the rest of the park pale in comparison. Parking my butt in Shivering Timbers' last row and not moving is the only thing I think about when I think about MA, but you did a great job of highlighting the park's other offerings. Thanks for the report!
Favorites: Voyage, T-Express, Goliath (WW), Medusa Steel Coaster, Boulder Dash, Katun, I 305, El Toro, Storm Runner, Mega-lite, Shivering Timbers, Alpengeist, Millennium Force, Thunderhead, Nemesis, Skyrush, Prowler, Atlantis Adventure, Thundercoaster, Maverick, Jungle Storm, Cornball Express, Behemoth,

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 am

Great report! I thought the same thing approaching Michigan's Adventure and was horrified my gps screwed me over.

The Mouse was closed back when I visited Memorial Day weekend as well. I actually like the Arrow ones quite a bit so it was a bit of a bummer but at least Shivering Timbers was open. I can't imagine how much it would suck if someone drove up and it were closed.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:39 am

anonymouscactus wrote:Awesome report! It's funny how everyone gives the park so much crap but it looks really nice! The Dorney of the north! ;) Yeah, maybe they haven't gotten a new ride in 87 years, but it's looking good for what it is. We almost made a stop this year but in weighing my options and hearing all the negativity and looking over their "thrill" offerings on the website I was 50/50 and decided we'll have to go another time. I wish I had looked into it more closely and looked at everything they have to offer... then again there isn't a whole lot of info out there... (then again I don't subscribe to the TPR thread either... for all I know the last post was 87 years ago when they got that last new ride ;))

Hilarious as usual.

Thanks! Yeah, it really did have kind of a Dorney vibe to it (though on a smaller scale). They're in a similar situation to Dorney in that there's absolutely nothing wrong with this place, it's just that the competition is infinitely better.

AJK wrote:Great report - glad to see my home state get some positive reviews. Having done those exact dune rides (I have a pennant from there in my room) I can say for a fact that they are very cool and one should definitely check them out when one goes to Michigan's Adventure and they have some free time.

Yeah I'm bummed that we missed them, but I'll be back. There were plenty of places renting Jeeps, but they were well over $100 an hour and way out of our price range, Mac Woods definitely seems like the way to go. Thanks for reading!

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Awesome report, as usual. I'm glad you enjoyed Shivering Timbers--that thing's awesome. Zach's Zoomer is a legitimately good coaster, and though I enjoyed Wolverine Wildcat, it was admittedly before I rode Phoenix, so I totally get your assessment of it. Great Nor'Easter is the absolute best SLC, but Thunderhawk was actually really good, and the only other SLC I actually enjoyed.

Michigan's Adventure is definitely not a super great park, but it's a lot better than a lot of people give it credit for. I'm not in a huge hurry to get back to it, but it was a really good time, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to your Chicago adventures!

Thanks! Thunderhawk is totally the second best coaster in the park, if we had more time I would have re-ridden the crap out of it. Other than Nor Easter I'd never dream of saying that about an SLC.

larrygator wrote:The foliage around the train has certainly grown in since I remember it from over 10 years ago.

It's still not an amazing train ride, but I expected something along the lines of that dumpster fire through an overgrown field at Six Flags America and this thing was totally enjoyable.

boldikus wrote:Spectacular update. Shivering Timbers looks amazing. Really looking forward to Great America!

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:don't forget to post some dolphin pics ;)

Thanks! And don't worry, dolphin pics are coming!

coasterer wrote:Parking my butt in Shivering Timbers' last row and not moving is the only thing I think about when I think about MA

While it is a shame that they don't have anything even close to being in the same level as Shivering Timbers, that still sounds like a pretty awesome way to kill a few hours. :lol:

Canobie Coaster wrote:at least Shivering Timbers was open. I can't imagine how much it would suck if someone drove up and it were closed.

Exactly. The mouse was actually open for the first hour or so of the day so if we went there first we could have got on, but who knew? I can live with missing the mouse. If Timbers was closed we'd have been devastated. The mouse is just a mouse. No complaints.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:40 pm

After leaving the awesome dunes, we had about a 3 hour drive south to our hotel in Hammond, Indiana (which is a Chicago suburb, about an hour from Six Flags Great America). I'd already been warned about this drive and I can confirm that it definitely sucks. I guess I should specify... driving in Michigan doesn't suck. Driving in Michigan is awesome. I drive a lot, and I've never seen driving like Michigan driving. It's a mostly flat state with lots of cities and large expanses of nothingness in between them so 75 MPH speed limits are extremely common and on multiple occasions I saw people doing 90 right in front of a cop where the cop couldn't even be bothered to give a sh*t. You have to be doing at least 95 to 100 MPH before they begin to care. :lol:

Since I drive so much, I generally hang around 70-75 out of habit since that's a pretty reasonable speed to drive on an Interstate and hang with the flow of traffic. On tons of occasions I caught myself going slightly below the speed limit in Michigan out of habit so eventually I just set the cruise control for 85 MPH so I wouldn't have the urge to drive at a reasonable speed. This is Michigan and Michigan doesn't have time for such bullsh*t.

Unfortunately once we merged with I-94 and then I-80 / I-90 the fun came to a screeching halt and we found ourselves in traffic hell so we didn't get to our hotel until pretty late (though there was a time change which made it seem like we did a little better than we actually did). Before booking our hotel I was warned by multiple people that a lot of the southern Chicago suburbs were less than ideal so I took extra care in booking this hotel. It was a Comfort Suites, backed away from everything with a limited access parking lot wedged behind the building for easy surveillance and despite every other hotel in the town having tons of reviews about cars being broken into, the reviews of this place were overwhelmingly positive. Unfortunately when we got in to town we needed to grab something to eat so we had to drive around the town a little bit and it was definitely as advertised. Our first thought was White Castle, but as we pulled in we saw a group of 10-15 people beating the sh*t out of eachother in the parking lot so we made a quick 180 and kept driving (quickly, possibly running a red light on purpose on the way out). Eventually we came across a semi safe looking Jimmy John's about a mile away (which I'd never tried before but ended up loving, so much so that we stopped at one in Sandusky on the way home), grabbed dinner and then got over to the hotel ASAP so we wouldn't die.

That was definitely an interesting introduction to the Chicago area, but luckily that was really our only negative experience with the city or it's surroundings. Pro tip: If you're booking a trip to Chicago (and you should because it's a great city), be really careful about where you stay because it's definitely hit or miss. Unfortunately for us, booking a hotel in the south suburbs was kind of a necessity unless we wanted to get up way too early to go to Six Flags or get in way too late from Michigan's Adventure but avoid that if you can (or stay at Comfort Suites). There are probably some other nice areas too that I didn't know about so ask a local or spend a lot of time reading reviews.

Anyway, moving on from that we awoke the next morning, grabbed some breakfast at the hotel, walked out to the car (which against all odds was still there) and hit the road for Six Flags Great America! This was a brand new park for us and we were really excited to check it out. We had about an hour drive to the park and we knew we needed to be there at rope drop but luckily thanks to the time change it felt like an 11:30 AM opening so that was a really easy thing to accomplish. We got to the park with plenty of time to spare and the security line was a breeze (much more efficient that Great Adventure's setup since they have one long line and call you to an available metal detector when it opens up so the line moves the entire time). Within a few minutes we were in the park checking out the awesome entry plaza.

IMG_6104.JPG
Good morning from Great America!

We budgeted for Flash Pass but didn't really want to drop the money on the Platinum Flash Pass so our number one priority was Joker which is a Platinum only ride. It felt really weird being at a brand new park with tons of awesome looking coasters like Goliath, Raging Bull, X Flight and Whizzer and busting it to a clone of a coaster we ride all the time at Great Adventure but it was sort of a necessity so we reluctantly joined the masses, walked over to Joker and were greeted with a totally manageable 15 minute wait.

IMG_6130.JPG
Joker fits into this park really nicely.

I've probably already mentioned this, but I really love these rides. They're absolutely out of control, they're perfectly smooth and comfortable (unlike X2, Green Lantern and lots of similar rides) and they pack a ton of thrills into a tiny footprint. Unfortunately, Brit is less than enthused with them because they scare the living sh*t out of her so she wasn't quite as enthusiastic as I was when she figured out that they had a Joker clone and that it would be our first stop. :lol:

As for the ride itself, it was awesome. Brit didn't hate it as much as she expected to (I think she's slowly warming up to these things, lol) and I absolutely loved it. I've never had a bad ride on a Joker clone and while I may be in the minority, I'd be totally fine with every Six Flags park eventually getting one. Joker gets a big thumbs up from me.

IMG_6096.JPG
I know people get all upset when Six Flags clones things a million times, but honestly get over it, lighten up, why so serious?

After Joker we decided to make our way over to it's (for now) neighbor, Vertical Velocity. I wanted to knock this one out early since it's an Intamin and it's been my experience that any time you see an Intamin launch coaster actually operating you'd be wise to ride it quickly before it inevitably f*cks itself and goes down for a prolonged mechanical issue. It's located right next to Joker, so riding it next was a no brainer.

IMG_6097.JPG
Look at all of that verticalness... and velocity...ness.

The ride was still a walk on so we immediately hopped into an empty row and within a few minutes we were strapped in and ready to get twisted. I've got to admit, I've ridden a bunch of these but for whatever reason this one seemed to have a much more powerful first launch than any of the others. My neck actually snapped back pretty hard and I was concerned for a few minutes that I'd be feeling that one for the rest of the day (which thankfully wasn't the case) but I guess the ride promised us velocity and it delivered so I can't say I wasn't warned.

IMG_6124.JPG
Twisted velocity.

As expected, the ride was great. While it did provide the customary nut crushing that Intamin Impulse coasters are always so happy to provide, it makes up for it by providing a great ride experience. We don't want kids anyway so it's cool, I forgive you Intamin.

One thing that was a but of a bummer was that the holding brake no longer works but that seems to be typical of most of these rides at this point. It would have been cool, but it's not a huge deal. The ride is still awesome and it's in a super cool location over the water. I approve!

IMG_6100.JPG
No holding brake... all of the dudes on this train can breathe a sigh of relief.

Wanting to keep the mojo going and knock out as many coasters as possible before the lines got long, our next stop was Little Dipper. As I said earlier, I'm not big on kids coasters but as was the case with Michigan's Adventure, this park's kids coaster collection was semi respectable and we ended up knocking them both out back to back. I won't hop on a Miller Oval or tiny Zamperla kiddie clone (unless I've been drinking apparently, hey Hersheypark... Cocoa Cruiser 4 Lyfe!!111) but both of these seemed respectable and they were both a lot of fun. Little Dipper was first since we knew it generally got long lines and after a 20 minute wait we were treated to a really fun little ride. I love the fact that Six Flags saved this coaster and embraces it's history with vintage photographs and historical information all over the queue. It's a really un-Six Flags-like thing to do but it's really cool.

Next up was Spacely's Sprocket Rockets which we had no intention of riding but after seeing it and realizing it was actually a pretty decent sized little coaster we took it for a spin. This ride is honestly really good, it sort of reminds me of Harley Quinn at Great Adventure in that it's way more enjoyable than it has any right to be. I'd happily ride the thing again even though I no longer need the credit. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that the kids area around Spacely's Sprocket Rockets is really nice and totally unlike any other Six Flags kids area. How did Six Flags ever get the rights to Hanna-Barbera? I thought Paramount parks used to have a stranglehold on that one? That little area was really nice, we were definitely impressed.

IMG_6102.JPG

^Taken after getting off of Spacely's Sprocket Rockets. This coaster is absolutely amazing looking and while we were on a mission to knock out all of the unreliable rides and non flash pass rides early in the day we couldn't help but think about how ridiculously hyped we were to ride it. Who wouldn't be? The structure is absolutely amazing, the ride looks absolutely brilliant and overall it's just one of the most majestic looking coasters I've ever seen in my life.

Also pictured: Goliath photobombing in the background.
------------------------------

After basking in the sheer brilliance of the park's 2018 addition and thinking about how jealous we were of the fact that this park was going to have both the tallest wood coaster in the world AND the tallest loop coaster in the world we decided to make a quick stop at the world's nastiest restrooms over by Batman before heading over to the looming RMC awesomeness (generally this park was really, really nice but they really out six flagged themselves with that restroom... OMG, overflowing toilets galore).

Anyway after getting out of there as quickly as possible we couldn't help but notice that Batman was still a complete walk-on so we actually changed up our plans a little bit and decided to hitch a ride with the Caped Crusader real quick before heading to Goliath.

IMG_6099.JPG
NANANANANANANANA Batman!

As you probably already know, I love the sh*t out of Batman (oh sh*t, we've got a hot take over here). I know people sometimes complain about these things since they're cloned so much, but that never made sense to me. Complaining that there are too many Batman clones would be like complaining that there were too many rainbows, or too many puppies, or too many liquor stores. Honestly, the more the merrier. These things ALWAYS deliver amazing rides, and I'm always thrilled when I get to ride one.

Admittedly, there was also an extra level of excitement for me since I knew this was the first Batman clone. This feeling was enhanced by the fact that a lot of the queue theming was still in place (unlike with Great Adventure's version) and the station theming was also. Normally I like these things in the front, but since the front row line was insane we decided to head to the back row instead. Generally you don't get the views back there, but you do get a little bit more intensity so I was definitely okay with that trade-off.

IMG_6098.JPG
So awesome...

The ride was (of course) awesome and you could tell that it fit in with it's surroundings here a little better than it did at most other parks. The generous amount of trees on the second half of the ride and the finale over the water were awesome enhancements to an already great layout. Batman was spectacular as always, and it was really cool to finally be able to ride the original.

When we got off Batman we were definitely feeling good about things. We'd already ridden a ton of coasters without any lines and we were starting to think Flash Pass may not be necessary at all. So far we were having a great day, we loved the park, we loved the coasters, the weather was perfect and there were no lines! Riding high, we walked over to Goliath, stopping again to admire how awesome it looked and watch the train fly through that crazy stall.

IMG_6101.JPG
This thing doesn't even look real. It looks like it's straight out of a cartoon...

After watching it for a minute or two, we finally made our way around the bend and approached the entrance. We were super hyped, totally ready to go and...

... holy sh*t. We found the crowds. When we got to the entrance, we realized Goliath was easily rocking an hour wait. We pulled queue-times and realized that Whizzer, X Flight, Superman, Raging Bull and others were too so we decided it was finally time to admit defeat and head back to the Flash Pass building. Oh well, it was a valiant effort. :lol:

IMG_6106.JPG
We stopped to take another picture of the entrance area on the way to the Flash Pass building. It's great in photos and even more impressive in person.

When we got to the Flash Pass building, we were pleased to see that (unlike at Great Adventure) you weren't forced to stand in line to watch a mind-numbingly stupid movie about how to use the thing and were free to proceed right to the counter. One thing we weren't pleased to see was that even though the website only lists Joker as Platinum Only, that wasn't quite accurate. Goliath was only available on Gold and Platinum and even then you're only allowed 2 reservations with Gold and 3 with Platinum. In addition, Justice League (which wasn't a priority but we'd have loved to ride if we didn't have to wait) was also Platinum only.

In the end we decided on regular Flash Pass since we figured we could stand in the Goliath line while waiting for other rides even if we did have to wait the full queue time and it had always been our experience that at Great Adventure the listed queue times on Flash Pass regular were always way shorter than the actual wait times and wait times posted on the Six Flags app. As it turned out, this proved to be the case at Great America too.

IMG_6110.JPG
Everyone say hello to our new best friend.

Initially we planned to reserve Goliath, but since we couldn't we figured we'd reserve something nearby instead and slowly make our way over to Goliath later. Whizzer was posting an hour wait and despite the brilliant weather, clouds and scattered showers were in the forecast so we figured we'd be safe and hit it now since I had heard it doesn't always run in rain. Despite the posted hour wait and full queue house overflowing on the midway, it popped up as a 20 minute wait so we reserved it, grabbed a snack and walked around hometown square to kill a little time before our ride (noting that this park was REALLY, REALLY nice and didn't feel like a Six Flags park at all).

IMG_6111.JPG
Whizzer is a really cool looking coaster

Aside from Goliath, I was probably more excited to ride Whizzer than any other coaster in the park. Whizzer is totally unlike any coaster I had ever seen before, and given the manufacturer I knew it was guaranteed to be amazing. I wasn't expecting major thrills or anything, but I knew we were in for a super cool and totally unique ride experience. When it was finally time to ride, we excitedly scanned the Flash Pass, walked up the steps and were immediately dumped directly into the station. Awesome!

IMG_6116.JPG
Look at all of these people taking a whizz...

I guess if you want to get technical, it really didn't dump us into a "station". Whizzer doesn't really have a station, it's basically just an open platform exposed to the elements with an awesome view of the ride...

... whizzing by! (my apologies, I can't help what I do) ;)

We hopped into the back row and a few minutes later we rolled out of the station and started ascending the awesome spiral lift. We were both really cooled out by the thing before the ride had really even started, but once it dropped off the lift we quickly realized that we had seriously underestimated the thrill factor of this thing. The ride absolutely tears through the course, flying by tons of trees, supports and track in the process. It's butter smooth and the layout is completely awesome as it darts through the trees, over water and at one point comes within inches of the ground on a high speed turn. Whizzer is awesome. It's easily one of the best coasters in the park and somehow it actually managed to exceed my ridiculously high expectations. While it's not the most thrilling ride in the park, it's undoubtedly the most unique and despite it's appearance it's really no slouch in the thrills department either. If they had actually gone along with that plan to remove this thing for Superman that would have been an absolute tragedy. Whizzer is amazing and I hope it keeps on whizzin' forever (sort of like me the morning after that 20 drink day in Wildwood).

IMG_6120.JPG
We love Whizzer!

Since this wasn't our first Flash Pass rodeo, we had cleared out the reservation for Whizzer as soon as we scanned in so by the time we got off it was almost time to ride our next ride, X Flight (which was posting a 60 minute wait but the Flash Pass had it at 15, score!). X Flight was really the biggest selling point of this park for Brit who absolutely loves B&M wing coasters, especially ones with the wing over drop. For the longest time, her favorite coaster anywhere period was Gatekeeper. She's finally come around to (reluctantly) declaring Maverick as her favorite but she loves the crap out of these things and was really stoked to finally be riding X Flight (the only American wing coaster she had yet to ride).

IMG_6122.JPG
Just a girl and her bird... this one is actually themed to a plane, but I wasn't going to tell her that and ruin her good time. lol

The line for this thing was huge, stretching almost back to the entrance but we were able to get right to the bottom of the station steps where they were pulsing the line but still letting Flash Pass riders chose their side. We opted for the left (left wing best wing remember) and hopped in line for the front row.

Unfortunately for us our ride would be delayed a little bit since some raving lunatic was convinced that her restraints came up mid ride and was screaming at security and maintenance who had arrived to check things out. Security was being really nice and helpful but this lady was irate and looking for someone to yell at so it became increasingly clear that nothing they could have done would calm her down as she seemed convinced that she had just survived a near brush with death. They spent a solid 20 minutes cycling trains and (of course) the restraints never popped up but the woman wasn't satisfied and wouldn't go away (even when the security guard asked her to walk with him to guest services) because she was too busy b*tching at anyone who was willing to listen to actually let maintenance or security do their jobs.

Eventually after a ton of test runs, another security guard came up and finally convinced her to leave. Once she was out of earshot, maintenance asked the ride host (right within earshot of everyone in the front row queue) if she saw the restraint to which she replied "yeah, it was fine and I told her it was fine", both of them visibly rolled their eyes, maintenance headed down the ramp and they finally re-opened the coaster. I hate people. People who work with the public every day are saints and I have no clue how they do it. :lol:

A few minutes later our train rolled in to the unmistakable rhythmic clapping noise of a B&M wing coaster train pulling in to the station (what makes that noise by the way? I love it.). Being the stellar f*cking fiancé that I am I hopped into the inside seat so Brit could have the wing seat and after a quick check of our dangerous death restraints we were all clear and on our way up the lift.

IMG_6123.JPG
X Flight being awesome

I'm not really very good at ranking coasters, but I can confidently say that this was an awesome wing coaster and probably one of the best. It's really a great ride throughout, but the highlights have to be that awesome wing-over first drop and then the finale which consists of tons of keyholes and head choppers in rapid succession. The hangar facade is pretty much pointless, but once it rounds the curve it heads through the air traffic control tower (which is a great effect) and then immediately after flies through a really weird keyhole made entirely of supports right before flying by a third horizontal near miss support structure. It's a pretty awesome finale that managed to get 3 consecutive exclamations of "OH SH*T!" from me on the way through. There are also some great mist effects near the track that are a nice touch as well. Overall X Flight is a great coaster and one we would definitely be heading back to later on.

The one good thing about listening to that lunatic b*tch and moan was that I had cleared out the reservation again and reserved Superman which had the longest line in the park (110 minutes, why are people so obsessed with these things?) so by the time we got off of X Flight we had really cut into that number by quite a bit. We still had plenty of time left to wait though, and after being deprived for long enough there was no doubt about where we would spend the remainder of that time. It was finally time to check out the park's star attraction, the one, the only (well okay... not the "only" but the "only one that's made out of wood" and... ugh you know what I mean), Goliath!

IMG_6128.JPG
Look at this beast...

We made our way over to Goliath and were greeted with a posted 60 minute wait time. That was fine by us since we were really waiting for 2 rides at the same time and for some reason the line did seem to go by pretty quickly. While in line we couldn't help but marvel at the thing. I know everyone says it's the weakest RMC, but it was hard to believe them when staring at that insane drop and a zero G stall that looks like it was dreamed up by Tim Burton while on acid.

For whatever reason, the wait time seemed to go by pretty quickly and in what seemed like no time at all we were up at the station. They had a grouper, but we requested the back seat and she was more than happy to accommodate our request. The next train rolled in to the station to an eruption of cheers and when the gates opened I grabbed our stuff, put it in the bin and excitedly took my seat anticipating the RMC awesomeness that was sure to follow.

Up Next: Part 2!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!