TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

How are the crowds end of September? I plan to go September 24th. Its my only day to go and I really hope to experience Lightning Rod.

I went to the park last year mid September on a Saturday and a Sunday. The Sunday was significantly less crowded than the Saturday. Between both days I was able to get 9 rides on LR and multiple rides on everything else. If I were to guess longest wait times you would experience I might say 45 mins for LR, 30 40 mins for Firechaser, 15 minutes for Mystery Mine, and 10 minutes for everything else. Download the Dollywood app this weekend and you should get a good idea of crowds and lines. Unless there is a crazy event I don't know about, I would say go for it and have fun!

How are the crowds end of September? I plan to go September 24th. Its my only day to go and I really hope to experience Lightning Rod.

I went to the park last year mid September on a Saturday and a Sunday. The Sunday was significantly less crowded than the Saturday. Between both days I was able to get 9 rides on LR and multiple rides on everything else. If I were to guess longest wait times you would experience I might say 45 mins for LR, 30 40 mins for Firechaser, 15 minutes for Mystery Mine, and 10 minutes for everything else. Download the Dollywood app this weekend and you should get a good idea of crowds and lines. Unless there is a crazy event I don't know about, I would say go for it and have fun!

Awesome advice! Downloaded the app and looked. There’s no waits for anything expect LR lol. It seems like today was the day to be there! I’m going to go for sure and I may go ahead and purchase the TimeSaver Unlimited pass. For the $45 I’d have no waits all day and can ride as much as I want. Last time I was there Mystery Mine was still new so I don’t get down there often enough. Also seems like LR has been doing ok as of lately!

Awesome advice! Downloaded the app and looked. There’s no waits for anything expect LR lol. It seems like today was the day to be there! I’m going to go for sure and I may go ahead and purchase the TimeSaver Unlimited pass. For the $45 I’d have no waits all day and can ride as much as I want. Last time I was there Mystery Mine was still new so I don’t get down there often enough. Also seems like LR has been doing ok as of lately!

Keep in mind that last weekend was an exception. It was the weekend of Rod Run in Pigeon Forge so the hotels are twice as much and it takes 2 hours to drive anywhere. A lot of people who would typically go to Dollywood on a weekend avoids that weekend.

I personally wouldn't pay for a Timesaver in the Fall. The park may be crowded but most are there for the shows. Lines should be no more than 30 minutes. Fall break in TN typically is the week after Columbus Day so next weekend shouldn't be that bad.

I agree. This is a good time to go line Wise but it's generally a time where everyone just isn't taking a trip down unless you're like me and live 2 hours away. We may take a trip to see Luminights, or may just wait for Smoky Mountain Christmas.

I was also thinking, they are probably going to use the "pond" from RB for the glow maze, but I'm just wondering, that couldn't be the only thing they're going to use that spot for? I mean I really hope they put in an actual attraction and not just use it for spare space to use for festivals.

This is the time of year we get bees (Actually I think technically they are a form of wasp but not sure) in the area, but I doubt it is bee related.. These bees don't build nest according to the University of Tennessee and are said to just gather around high structures this time of year.. According to the University of Tennessee, these bees are said to actually be migrating because they aren't native to the mountains but there are a lot of folks in the area who don't believe that. Simply put, bees would cause the TC but not a CD.. The bees normally leave when it cools down and normally don't get bad until later in the morning to early afternoon. Id assume they are having some technical issues OR POSSIBLY doing something to it for the Luminights! That is the area for Luminights. Maybe they have something they don't want people to see for luminights so they are closing it now until luminights starts.. yeah you can probably see whatever from wild eagle BUT you wont be focusing on stuff on WE.. Just another theory if it isn't having technical issues

But again, I doubt bees would make them do a CD..

One last theory, if bees are making it CD, they are simply doing it because they don't want to staff it right now.. This is a VERY SLOW time of year for the park, probably the slowest time of the year.. Being mid week and knowing bees might keep it closed for 75% of the day, they might be making the decision to just not staff it.. While I doubt this is the case, Dollywood isn't known for doing stuff like this, but it is a possibility. But again, bees don't affect these rides all day long.. They are usually fine in the morning and fine again when it starts cooling off after 4ish in the evening.. But with the park closing at 6 this time of year, like I said, they might not want to staff it for only 3 - 4 hours it would be open if bees are gathering around it

Again, none of this is official and it was open when I visited last week.. They had bee issues then on WE the day I was there.. So these are just some ideas I have that might be causing it

Neat theory about the bees. When they built the top on LR people said "Ohh wouldn't that just give the bees a place to build nest" and that's when articles from the Universty of Tennessee were published about these bees.. The top on LR actually kept the track cool so that the bees didn't hover around the track.. No idea if the hovered around the top or not but it being away from the track it was safe.. This is also why Pete said in the future (not near future) they might be looking to put these tops on other rides such as wild eagle

This is the time of year we get bees (Actually I think technically they are a form of wasp but not sure) in the area, but I doubt it is bee related.. These bees don't build nest according to the University of Tennessee and are said to just gather around high structures this time of year.. According to the University of Tennessee, these bees are said to actually be migrating because they aren't native to the mountains but there are a lot of folks in the area who don't believe that. Simply put, bees would cause the TC but not a CD.. The bees normally leave when it cools down and normally don't get bad until later in the morning to early afternoon. Id assume they are having some technical issues OR POSSIBLY doing something to it for the Luminights! That is the area for Luminights. Maybe they have something they don't want people to see for luminights so they are closing it now until luminights starts.. yeah you can probably see whatever from wild eagle BUT you wont be focusing on stuff on WE.. Just another theory if it isn't having technical issues

But again, I doubt bees would make them do a CD..

One last theory, if bees are making it CD, they are simply doing it because they don't want to staff it right now.. This is a VERY SLOW time of year for the park, probably the slowest time of the year.. Being mid week and knowing bees might keep it closed for 75% of the day, they might be making the decision to just not staff it.. While I doubt this is the case, Dollywood isn't known for doing stuff like this, but it is a possibility. But again, bees don't affect these rides all day long.. They are usually fine in the morning and fine again when it starts cooling off after 4ish in the evening.. But with the park closing at 6 this time of year, like I said, they might not want to staff it for only 3 - 4 hours it would be open if bees are gathering around it

Again, none of this is official and it was open when I visited last week.. They had bee issues then on WE the day I was there.. So these are just some ideas I have that might be causing it

Neat theory about the bees. When they built the top on LR people said "Ohh wouldn't that just give the bees a place to build nest" and that's when articles from the Universty of Tennessee were published about these bees.. The top on LR actually kept the track cool so that the bees didn't hover around the track.. No idea if the hovered around the top or not but it being away from the track it was safe.. This is also why Pete said in the future (not near future) they might be looking to put these tops on other rides such as wild eagle

If the insects in question are fuzzy, they're bees. If not, they're yellowjackets, a type of wasp.

Hi all! The lady and I just decided today we would be taking a trip to Dollywood for Christmas In The Smokies! I've been to the event before and I love it, so I don't have any questions regarding the event itself. I'm more curious in the best time to go.

See, we live outside of Philly. The drive down to Pigeon Forge is about 10 hours. Right now we're looking at the first week of December to take advantage of the lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas crowds. As I recall the last time I visited the vast majority of visitors to the event were focused on the shows, not the rides. I see on the website, though, that they're only open in the afternoon and evening that week, no morning hours. The plan as it stands is to drive down Monday, December 4th, make fools of ourselves on go-karts and other horrendous tourist attractions, hit the park on Tuesday the 5th, then head back on the 6th. Personally, I can take more time off, so a second day at the park is very tempting. It would also give us much more time to mix rides and shows since they have so much happening during this event.

Do you think we'd be fine that week with an already truncated operational schedule? Should we definitely go for the extra day? Should we reschedule for the week of Thanksgiving where the park opens at 11am? That would be driving on the 20th, park on the 21st and possibly 22nd, then driving through the night to my sister's place to gorge on turkey.

Thanks for the help!

It's very hit and miss that time of year.. a few years ago we had a very pretty weekend around Thanksgiving.. I can't remember if it was the weekend before or the weekend of.. but anyways, it was a record breaking day at the park! We are talking over 35000 guest.. the week was pretty to so it was fairly busy during the week even

During that time of year they focus on the evening so most of the weeks hours are afternoon evening only unless it's the week of a holiday and the know folks will be off.. if you want long hours you have to visit on weekend

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Should we reschedule for the week of Thanksgiving where the park opens at 11am? That would be driving on the 20th, park on the 21st and possibly 22nd, then driving through the night to my sister's place to gorge on turkey.

I'd reschedule for the week of the 20th.

1.) The park opens earlier which means more ride time!!

2.) The Christmas event will already be going on, so you'll still get to enjoy that.

3.) Better weather??

4.) If it's busy you can always buy their unlimited line skip program, and you'll be set!!

As for 1 or 2 days?? That's entirely up to you. We did 2 days at the park and it was MORE than enough. If I had to do our trip all over again, I would just have done 1 day. (And I bet I'm in the minority on this.)

Either way, you're going to love the park. It's beautiful, it has awesome shows, amazing food, great rides, and a one of a kind atmosphere.

Best of luck on the trip!! Can't wait for a TR!

Dollywood doesn't allow alcohol. But the Island which is honestly 5-10 mins from the park has bars on every corner and Ole Smoky Moonshine, along with the bars on the strip. Gatlinburg is the same, with another Ole Smoky, Sugarland's, and there's another one I can't think of. Gatlinburg is where your "bars" are. Moonshine holler has a great atmosphere as well even if you don't drink. There's always live music in the afternoon through the night.

I went to Christmas In The Smokies last year the week between Christmas and New Years, it was insanely packed lol. I'd recommend 1st week of December. That is when I planned my trip. I normally judge expected crowd levels by hotel prices, and I'm staying at my 2nd favorite Wyndham property in Pigeon Forge for $32 each night lol. If you haven't been to the festival in a few years, It's A Wonderful Life was fantastic last year, as was Christmas In The Smokies