Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1575: Historic investment in entertainment during 2018!
Users viewing this topic: Dollywoodlover20 and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:53 pm

I agree. This is a good time to go line Wise but it's generally a time where everyone just isn't taking a trip down unless you're like me and live 2 hours away. We may take a trip to see Luminights, or may just wait for Smoky Mountain Christmas.
I was also thinking, they are probably going to use the "pond" from RB for the glow maze, but I'm just wondering, that couldn't be the only thing they're going to use that spot for? I mean I really hope they put in an actual attraction and not just use it for spare space to use for festivals.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby MindbenderManiac » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 am

Anyone know what's up with Drop Line? It's been listed as CD for the past several days, and before that was TC for q couple days... Is it was/bee related?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 am

MindbenderManiac wrote:Is it was/bee related?

Bigger is not always better.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby dstephe9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:16 am

This is the time of year we get bees (Actually I think technically they are a form of wasp but not sure) in the area, but I doubt it is bee related.. These bees don't build nest according to the University of Tennessee and are said to just gather around high structures this time of year.. According to the University of Tennessee, these bees are said to actually be migrating because they aren't native to the mountains but there are a lot of folks in the area who don't believe that. Simply put, bees would cause the TC but not a CD.. The bees normally leave when it cools down and normally don't get bad until later in the morning to early afternoon. Id assume they are having some technical issues OR POSSIBLY doing something to it for the Luminights! That is the area for Luminights. Maybe they have something they don't want people to see for luminights so they are closing it now until luminights starts.. yeah you can probably see whatever from wild eagle BUT you wont be focusing on stuff on WE.. Just another theory if it isn't having technical issues

But again, I doubt bees would make them do a CD..

One last theory, if bees are making it CD, they are simply doing it because they don't want to staff it right now.. This is a VERY SLOW time of year for the park, probably the slowest time of the year.. Being mid week and knowing bees might keep it closed for 75% of the day, they might be making the decision to just not staff it.. While I doubt this is the case, Dollywood isn't known for doing stuff like this, but it is a possibility. But again, bees don't affect these rides all day long.. They are usually fine in the morning and fine again when it starts cooling off after 4ish in the evening.. But with the park closing at 6 this time of year, like I said, they might not want to staff it for only 3 - 4 hours it would be open if bees are gathering around it

Again, none of this is official and it was open when I visited last week.. They had bee issues then on WE the day I was there.. So these are just some ideas I have that might be causing it

Neat theory about the bees. When they built the top on LR people said "Ohh wouldn't that just give the bees a place to build nest" and that's when articles from the Universty of Tennessee were published about these bees.. The top on LR actually kept the track cool so that the bees didn't hover around the track.. No idea if the hovered around the top or not but it being away from the track it was safe.. This is also why Pete said in the future (not near future) they might be looking to put these tops on other rides such as wild eagle

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby CaptainUnknown » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:08 am

All this bee talk got me like
TybTuTL.gif
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby njcoasterguy34 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:13 am

dstephe9 wrote:This is the time of year we get bees (Actually I think technically they are a form of wasp but not sure) in the area, but I doubt it is bee related.. These bees don't build nest according to the University of Tennessee and are said to just gather around high structures this time of year.. According to the University of Tennessee, these bees are said to actually be migrating because they aren't native to the mountains but there are a lot of folks in the area who don't believe that. Simply put, bees would cause the TC but not a CD.. The bees normally leave when it cools down and normally don't get bad until later in the morning to early afternoon. Id assume they are having some technical issues OR POSSIBLY doing something to it for the Luminights! That is the area for Luminights. Maybe they have something they don't want people to see for luminights so they are closing it now until luminights starts.. yeah you can probably see whatever from wild eagle BUT you wont be focusing on stuff on WE.. Just another theory if it isn't having technical issues

But again, I doubt bees would make them do a CD..

One last theory, if bees are making it CD, they are simply doing it because they don't want to staff it right now.. This is a VERY SLOW time of year for the park, probably the slowest time of the year.. Being mid week and knowing bees might keep it closed for 75% of the day, they might be making the decision to just not staff it.. While I doubt this is the case, Dollywood isn't known for doing stuff like this, but it is a possibility. But again, bees don't affect these rides all day long.. They are usually fine in the morning and fine again when it starts cooling off after 4ish in the evening.. But with the park closing at 6 this time of year, like I said, they might not want to staff it for only 3 - 4 hours it would be open if bees are gathering around it

Again, none of this is official and it was open when I visited last week.. They had bee issues then on WE the day I was there.. So these are just some ideas I have that might be causing it

Neat theory about the bees. When they built the top on LR people said "Ohh wouldn't that just give the bees a place to build nest" and that's when articles from the Universty of Tennessee were published about these bees.. The top on LR actually kept the track cool so that the bees didn't hover around the track.. No idea if the hovered around the top or not but it being away from the track it was safe.. This is also why Pete said in the future (not near future) they might be looking to put these tops on other rides such as wild eagle

If the insects in question are fuzzy, they're bees. If not, they're yellowjackets, a type of wasp.
Only one word describes Green Lantern: "OW!"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 am

njcoasterguy34 wrote:If the insects in question are fuzzy, they're bees. If not, they're yellowjackets, a type of wasp.

"Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear..."

WHAT?! Now you're saying Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bee?! :omg: By entire childhood has been a lie!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Bigger is not always better.

Postby dstephe9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 am

The University of Tennessee calls them a type of paper wasp. The sign at Dollywood actually says the same thing.

People on here just call them bees

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Postby dstephe9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:47 am

Here's the sign Dollywood puts outside Wild Eagle. This was out last week the day I was there

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi all! The lady and I just decided today we would be taking a trip to Dollywood for Christmas In The Smokies! I've been to the event before and I love it, so I don't have any questions regarding the event itself. I'm more curious in the best time to go.

See, we live outside of Philly. The drive down to Pigeon Forge is about 10 hours. Right now we're looking at the first week of December to take advantage of the lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas crowds. As I recall the last time I visited the vast majority of visitors to the event were focused on the shows, not the rides. I see on the website, though, that they're only open in the afternoon and evening that week, no morning hours. The plan as it stands is to drive down Monday, December 4th, make fools of ourselves on go-karts and other horrendous tourist attractions, hit the park on Tuesday the 5th, then head back on the 6th. Personally, I can take more time off, so a second day at the park is very tempting. It would also give us much more time to mix rides and shows since they have so much happening during this event.

Do you think we'd be fine that week with an already truncated operational schedule? Should we definitely go for the extra day? Should we reschedule for the week of Thanksgiving where the park opens at 11am? That would be driving on the 20th, park on the 21st and possibly 22nd, then driving through the night to my sister's place to gorge on turkey.

Thanks for the help!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!