Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Como Town and Como Zoo
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby prozach626 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:26 pm

That view of New York City looked like a sight to see all in its own. Looks like you guys had a blast. Nice report.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:30 pm

^ You mean Atlantic City?

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dombot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:00 pm

My God, how did I just find this thread. Just finished all 36 pages of it and I'm laughing my a$$ off. You, my friend, have a gift of writing. Awesome reports, all of them!
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Postby prozach626 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:13 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:^ You mean Atlantic City?

Ah. My bad.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks for the comments guys!

The city visible from Keansburg is New York City. Keansburg is really the northernmost tip of the Jersey Shore (aside from North Beach and Sandy Hook). While it's over an hour drive since you have to drive all the way around the bay, lower Manhattan is only about 18 miles from Keansburg as the crow flies. I didn't realize it was that close and didn't expect that view but it's amazing. You get a great view of the Verrazano Bridge and World Trade Center.

Dombot wrote:My God, how did I just find this thread. Just finished all 36 pages of it and I'm laughing my a$$ off. You, my friend, have a gift of writing. Awesome reports, all of them!

Wow! Thanks so much! It takes a long time to write these things so it's always awesome to hear that people enjoy reading them so much. That's awesome that you read through 36 pages. Thanks!!!

jynx242 wrote:Thanks for continuing this report Bill. Your trip reports are always so entertaining and fun!

Thanks!

Philrad71 wrote:Drinking and the Jersey Shore just seem to go hand in hand, don't they? ;)

I can't wait to get back there, but thanks for the memories and awesome report in the meantime, Bill!

Yes, and thanks! I really never appreciated the Jersey Shore until last year but it's growing on me a lot. I think Wildwood is probably the best of the huge, super built-up beach towns on the East Coast (Atlantic City, Ocean City, MD, Virginia Beach... places like that).

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby defrocker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 am

Your comparison to VA Beach intrigues me. Is this a place you'd recommend spending an extended weekend at? I've done it many times at VA Beach, but never really any others.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:29 am

This is going to be a quick report, but since this park gets no attention ever I figured I'd pop in real quick to post a Trip Report from Adventureland on National Roller Coaster Day!

... no, not that Adventureland

... think crappier

IMG_5918.JPG
There you go!

(My apologies for some of the lower quality images, we visited at night after work and my phone is definitely not the best at taking night shots).

We really didn't plan to do anything on National Roller Coaster Day but after having my Facebook feed flooded with updates from people riding coasters or news about awesome new rides being announced I got the itch to find a coaster to ride after work. Immediately we thought of going to Quassy to ride Wooden Warrior but I saw on Facebook that Adventureland Long Island was doing a promotion where coaster rides were free with the donation of school supplies to local kids in need with their Helping Hands foundation.

I was definitely torn because as close as this park (theoretically) is, we never go there because I absolutely HATE Long Island. Despite growing up just 75 miles away we had only been there once and that was only because they had announced Hurricane was closing and I wanted to ride it while I still had the chance. That being said, given the obscene prices this park generally charges for rides it was impossible to pass up the offer of free coaster rides on National Roller Coaster Day coupled with the opportunity to support such a great cause.

I should probably mention that when I say that I "hate Long Island", I don't really hate being on Long Island, I hate getting to Long Island. The Cross Island Expressway is the 7th layer of hell and I'm pretty sure the Long Island Expressway is the 8th. A drive that should take an hour and a half ROUTINELY takes between 2 and 4 hours. The last time we went to Adventureland we decided to go out to Montauk afterwards to see the point and lighthouse and it took us EIGHT F*CKING HOURS to get home. In that amount of time I could have driven to Cedar Point, but instead I found myself in my home state longingly staring across the sound to Connecticut and seriously considering leaving the car for dead and swimming for freedom.

That being said, I really wanted to go and check out Turbulence so I texted Brit to see if she was on board with the idea. She works for a local parenting magazine (which is hilarious because we have no desire to ever have kids since that would really cut into our boozing and road tripping time) and they have a ton of school supplies sent in from companies trying to push their latest and greatest innovations in composition notebook technologies (lol wtf?). She bagged a ton of it up and at 5:00 we were on our way to Long Island with our donations in the trunk along with enough food rations for 3 weeks in case we found ourselves stranded in Cross Island Parkway traffic with no possibility of escape (okay, I made that last part up but it wouldn't have been a bad idea).

Despite all of this and despite the fact that we were headed to Long Island at 7PM on a weeknight with the Yankees and Mets playing a Subway Series game at Citi Field we cruised over the bridge, cruised down the Cross Island and hit absolutely no traffic on the Long Island Expressway. I actually considered switching to AM News Radio to see if Long Island had been evacuated due to some kind of Zombie Apocalypse and I just hadn't heard about it. That was the only reasonable explanation I could come up with. WTF???

IMG_5912.JPG
Turbulence really dominates what little "skyline" this park has.

Amazingly, In no time at all we were parallel parking the car (because they don't have enough room for head in parking on both sides of the parking area), grabbing our donations and heading for the gate ready for an Adventurous Adventureland Adventure.

For those unfamiliar with this place, it's sort of remarkable how much they managed to cram into this tiny location. Adventureland is located between the loading dock of a Target store and a row of manufacturing buildings on a long thin strip of land that can't be more than 150 feet wide. In the very back it forms and L (behind the Target) where they managed to find room for a Log Flume, tiny car ride and swinging ship.

Despite all this, when you're in the park you really feel like you're in an expansive theme park and are completely immersed in the place. It absolutely blows my mind that they managed to make this place feel so large when it's so absurdly tiny. We walked along for awhile, checking out the park and admiring how cute it was until we finally reached the coasters and the donation table.

As it turns out, the coasters were actually free regardless of whether or not you had something to donate. There was no wristband or anything and most people in the park didn't even know the promotion existed and had no idea why the rides were free. Still, we were obviously more than happy to help out such a nice cause and after handing over our stacks of supplies we headed over to Turbulence to check out the new (for us) hotness.

IMG_5911.JPG
Cool sign

Turbulence is the park's 2015 Mack Rides spinning coaster that they put in the old Hurricane spot. The only Mack Spinner we had ridden previously was Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's which was a solid little ride so we were pretty excited to ride another one. After a 15 to 20 minute wait we found ourselves in the front row (not that it really matters since it spins so much) and on our way up the lift.

We headed up the lift facing forwards, admiring the picturesque view of the Target parking lot but once we hit the top of the lift the time for "sightseeing" was over because this little motherf*cker started spinning like crazy and never stopped. Holy crap is this thing nuts! I tried riding hands up but quickly discovered that that was basically impossible. Despite it's size, Turbulence offered up a completely insane, out of control ride that never let up until we hit the brakes. Wow!!

I'll admit, I was sort of bummed when I heard they were removing Hurricane. I really like Windstorm coasters and thought they would have a tough time replacing it with something that good in such a small space but this thing is a giant upgrade. With such a reasonable price tag and such a tiny footprint it's insane to me that there aren't more of these things.

Up next was the park's Ladybug coaster which (despite it's name) is actually a pretty fun family ride and one that we had absolutely no shame in riding. The ride is pretty standard, but the park added a tunnel and some cool things near the track that really made it a fun little coaster. We got on in about 10 minutes and probably had way more fun on it than we had any right to.

IMG_5934.JPG
Wheeeee!!!! (this ride is basically impossible to photograph, especially at night).

This was obviously going to be a quick trip since we had a long drive home, had worked that day and had to work again the next day so really we had just planned to hit the coasters a few times and then leave. They had a bunch of cool looking rides like that WTF Crocodile thing, a train and a Huss Frisbee but given their ridiculously expensive prices we really planned to stick to the free coasters and then head out.

That plan was in jeopardy though when I finally got to the back of the park and took a look at that Log Flume. Initially given it's location I assumed it was a portable, off the shelf flume like the one at Coney Island. Despite my love of Flumes, I never really cared for those and find them skippable. This flume definitely didn't seem to be one of those though, it was compact but it had a pretty unique layout, some nice theming elements around it and overall looked really weird and cool so I found it really tempting. That being said, we had a plan and we were were on a budget (these random road trips don't come cheap even with our ridiculous amount of hotel rewards points and our fuel efficient cars). I wanted to ride, but paying 15 bucks to ride a Log Flume seemed really stupid and basically impossible to justify. As painful as it was, spending 15 bucks to ride a Log Flume wedged between a Target and a school bus parking lot was absolutely asinine even by my standards. So eventually I came to my senses

... and I realized I didn't really need that $15 :lol:
IMG_5926.JPG
Yes, I'm quite proud of myself in this picture. lol

To be fair, the ride is "only" $7.50 per person, but since riding the Flume at night immediately before a 2 hour car ride home was a really stupid f*cking idea I was ponying up the cash for both of us if we were going to do it. I'm also totally kidding about the sticker shock thing. It's steep, but with free parking, free admission and free coasters it was easy to justify. As soon as I saw it I knew damn well we weren't leaving without riding this flume. Brit unfortunately didn't find out about that plan until 5 minutes before we rode it. :lol:

The ride was obviously amazing (because it's a Log Flume, so of course it was) and after getting Brit a pretzel as a consolation prize for putting up with my bullsh*t we decided to spin dry on Turbulence before getting in the car.

IMG_5916.JPG
So good... yes, I took this before our first ride because it's not dark out like in the flume picture. I just put it here to break things up nicely, you caught me... you get a sticker

Once again, Turbulence provided an absolutely crazy ride. By the end of the ride you seriously don't even know which way is up. If you don't like spinning coasters don't underestimate this one or you'll be miserable for the rest of the day. Lucky for us, we love them and we thought the insane amount of spinning was absolutely great.

After our last ride on Turbulence we decided it was finally time to head out. It was a short visit, but it really is a nice little park and we had a great time. While it's admittedly really out of the way, anyone who's in the area should really pay it a visit. Turbulence is REALLY good, the flume is great and the Ladybug coaster is a solid family coaster. Plus... you know you want to ride that weird a** Crocodile thing. Maybe next time for us :lol:

IMG_5937.JPG
Goodnight Adventureland! It's been real.

Up next, Michigan's Adventure!
Last edited by coasterbill on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:35 am

defrocker wrote:Your comparison to VA Beach intrigues me. Is this a place you'd recommend spending an extended weekend at? I've done it many times at VA Beach, but never really any others.

Absolutely! I actually prefer it since I think there's a lot more to do in general and especially on the Boardwalk itself. I know Virginia Beach has a lot of cool stuff a block back from the ocean, but having it all on the actual boardwalk really makes for a better beach vibe.

The beach itself might be better in Virginia Beach, but I still found the beach in Wildwood to be quite clean and quite nice. I don't think you'll be disappointed with Wildwood.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:12 pm

coasterbill wrote:The city visible from Keansburg is New York City.

Really?

*Looks back through the report.*

Oh yeah, you said that. Right in the report. I'm good at paying attention.

Postby prozach626 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:28 pm

The crocodile ride looks legit!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!