TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Like most Arrow loopers, Anaconda is completely hit or miss depending on height / body type. You can ride it and enjoy it while the person sitting right next to you gets the living sh*t beat out of them.

Hurler was just complete trash no matter what. Even if you caught it on a good day and it wasn't overly rough it's still a really boring layout.

I got a chance to visit the park for a few hours on Saturday. Unfortunately, my family left later than usual, and we also ran into probably the worst traffic I have ever been in over my 16 years here on Earth. Because of this, I arrived at the park only to discover plenty of long lines. After buying a piece of wood from Hurler and a Twisted Timbers shirt reading "Get Twisted in 2018," I made my way straight to Grizzly. Anyone who has been to Kings Dominion knows that you will never wait more than 15 minutes for any row on Grizzly, regardless of what day it is. After an amazing back seat ride on Grizzly, which I believe is the most underrated coaster in the park, I went over to Ricochet, which seems to always have a line of 10 minutes no matter how crowded it is. Unfortunately, the clientele at the park that day was not the best group of people. A foreign family, seemingly not understanding how lines work, cut in front of my group and two other families waiting to ride. Of course the grouper saw this and kicked them back behind the people they cut in front of, which I was glad to see.

After riding Ricochet, I took a break to get a drink while my siblings went to ride Bad Apple. Unfortunately, the drink place ran out of ice, so that kind of sucked. When we were done at Bad Apple, we went to Backlot, where the operators were flying. For a line that looked long when you enter the queue, we flew through it relatively quick. Backlot's helix is still one of my favorite I've ridden. I can't remember a single time riding it without graying out. This was my fourth trip to the park this year, but only the first time I rode with the fire effect actually working, so that was pretty cool. After riding Backlot, we started walking towards I305, which I was shocked to see, for the first time in my life, the line stretching out of the queue. They only had one switchback open, but I don't think I've ever waited more than 10 minutes to ride I305 before Saturday. Flight of Fear looked long too, so we went to ride Dominator instead.

Dominator is sort of a weird coaster for me. It's the only roller coaster that gives me a headache. I usually force myself to sit in the front row, as it was nearly rattle free on all my rides... until Saturday. Maybe it had a bad wheel, maybe its the awful kink in the loop, but I came off the ride with a headache from the front row for the first time in my life. The coaster is great, I just want to clarify that, but for some reason it's just this one roller coaster that constantly gives me a headache. It's actually kind of sad, because it is really a spectacular ride. The only reason I like Hydra more than it is because Hydra, despite being seemingly shakier, doesn't give me a headache. Enough about me though, back to the coasters. After Dominator, I was contemplating on riding Volcano, but the 2 hour 30 minute instantly made me change my mind. I'll never wait more than a few minutes to ride, what in my opinion, is the most overrated coaster in the park.

I made my way back to Intimidator and waited about half an hour for it. I love the second row on this ride a lot, and definitely recommend it to anyone who wants the smoothest ride without having to wait for the front. I feel like Intimidator's airtime is very underrated, but that's just me. I get super close to blacking out every single time I ride it, but for a positive-G lover like me, that only makes me love it more. It's up there in my top 3 with Lightning Rod and Fury 325 for sure. After my amazing ride on I305, my group decided that we would roll the dice with Flight of Fear and wait an hour (according to the wait times on the app.) Shockingly, the app was very accurate, which I can't say for any of the other rides I rode that day. Waited just under an hour and got the second row. I still think the front row is my favorite row on this coaster, but second row is nearly just as good. It's not the most thrilling or most intense ride, but it's definitely one I want to ride for hopefully many more years.

It was starting to get dark, so I went to Grizzly to get a front row night ride on it. Amazingly, I waited an entire 20 minutes for the front row! That was certainly quite the experience. You get some great views of Twisted Timbers from Grizzly's lift hill. They are making a lot of progress, and I'll show that in the pictures posted below. A lot of ledgers for the barrel roll drop are up, and they are making some progress with new supports just after one of the far turnarounds. The airtime hills look insane, about half the height of the lift hill. I can't wait to ride that airtime machine in the spring! Back to the coasters... my last ride of the night was a second row ride on Dominator, and I'm really glad it was my last ride of the night. It beat me up even worse than my ride on it earlier in the afternoon. We stopped at Krispy Kreme on the way home and got some amazing donuts, and that made me feel a lot better after being in the car wreck of a coaster named Dominator, though still nowhere as bad as Hurler was on my final ride back in August 2015.

I apologize if this report was a bit lengthy, but I just had a lot to get off my chest about my very interesting day at Kings Dominion. I wish I could explain some things better than I did, but I'm not really good at doing the whole "explain it in a way that most people will understand" thing, so it is what it is. I hope everyone enjoys the pictures!

20170819_155433.thumb.jpg.14b6fc11aec1ee95d67f017c9b5f5384.jpg

Log flume! Don't worry, this is my only blurry photo.

20170819_155842.thumb.jpg.dff0677ae34e7cb411181bde8a0c30f8.jpg

I see you, Twisted Timbers!

20170819_161324.thumb.jpg.c9db15e7206087201784a74bb31dbad2.jpg

Was gonna ride this, but the queue was literally full.

20170819_161404.thumb.jpg.5512cdd2fac7a3c137152138afc631d8.jpg

Barrel roll ledgers going up!

20170819_161425.thumb.jpg.71fcd145ee3fd2590db009650b249d3f.jpg

Fun little wild mouse (has nothing on Hershey's.)

20170819_162713.thumb.jpg.6507b88c74512384b2bb0b95b1b0c474.jpg

View from Ricochet. This will look a lot different next year!

20170819_163257.thumb.jpg.49040c3245b4c51274ec883a16e41046.jpg

A couple of decent flats.

20170819_171959.thumb.jpg.4c55940e923d8f520d2b9a0f2d63faf8.jpg

A great family coaster!

20170819_172047.thumb.jpg.c509e42434a3b3366abcdaf9b6db76a4.jpg

Sorry Anaconda, not today! (I'll get to you in a bit, I305!)

20170819_174915.thumb.jpg.ba311fd68eb74393f6e59ab8a354460e.jpg

I'll express my hate for this ride, but I LOVE taking pictures of it.

20170819_175203(1).thumb.jpg.216a5af5fbab4fa26c475bfa551dc1a4.jpg

This loop is one of the best I've ever ridden.

20170819_175206(0).thumb.jpg.c0d2844ec23748d802add077a6cffdd0.jpg

The cobra is one of the smoothest I've been on!

20170819_185506.thumb.jpg.1bee881c49f7391dab08f9b69e8ef770.jpg

Sorry Volcano, maybe next time!

20170819_185511.thumb.jpg.98de07b56697e37bc59351ed838bed90.jpg

Such a fun ride!

20170819_205113.thumb.jpg.c0bd7f6377df73f7d2153f789d64509e.jpg

See you in a few weeks, KD!

I actually enjoy Anaconda.

Same, but Brit hates it.

The hate is totally understandable for shorter people whose ears are getting boxed by the restraints.

Strangely enough, on the most recent road trip, my kiddo rode a number of Arrow Loopers. He liked Vortex but wasn't willing to ride it more than once. He HATED Corkscrew and said "I'm never ever ever never ever riding that coaster EVER AGAIN. Well maybe when I'm 50 years old.". Tennessee Tornado was okay at the beginning but it got him in the ears a couple of times, and he stopped after three. But Anaconda? He loved it in the front row and the back row and has now ridden it about 6 times. Go figure.

Just thought I should share this here. With the Battle for Kings Dominion app, you can win front of the line passes you can use to skip the line of any ride. It is not valid for Soak City attractions, Grand Prix Raceway, or Xtreme SkyFlyer, but it looks like you can use it for anything else. This would probably be very helpful on those days when Volcano has a 2 hour line, but I would personally use it on Flight of Fear since Volcano isn't really my thing. I hope this helps someone!

Screenshot_20170825-163518.thumb.png.527421747de83ec4b0d9f8db64ffac26.png

Rewards Tab

Screenshot_20170825-164036.thumb.png.11698c92e59fa2eab882f8c27da8cf54.png

Show this screen to the ride operator to skip the line! EDIT: DON'T TRY USING THIS SCREENSHOT

After reading the last few pages of posts, I decided to add in a few of my comments -

#1 - Say what you want about THE ANACONDA I don't feel that ride being too rough for me although I'm a big, muscular person with layers of cushioning fat.

#2 - Ditto for THE GRIZZLY. Canada's Wonderland's Wild Beast coaster has that same layout, but that coaster was TOOOOO rough for me to enjoy.

#3 - I lost some weight, but I have at least twenty pounds to go. While I do have a 44 inch waist, my upper chest is massive and I needed the ride attendant's help to push the restraints down one more click on Delirium and Windseeker, and I can only ride in the larger seat for DOMINATOR. Fortunately they are other rides in which my size won't be a problem ( Log Flume, Flying Eagles, Scrambler, Avalanche, Dodge 'Em, Bad Apple, and Rebel Yell, for example).

#4 - TWISTED TIMBERS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!!!

KINGS DOMINION -Betcha you can't do it all!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Kings Dominion officially released the height of TT: https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2017/twisted-timbers-its-not-just-hurler-reborn

Previously, they had only mentioned the 109-foot drop in press releases, but here it explicitly mentions an "extra 28 feet" of height, which, when added to the Hurler height of 83', gives a confirmed height of 111'. Not that big of a deal, but interesting nonetheless.

The first thing you’ll notice while riding is the increased ride height, making it more than two stories taller than its predecessor. You’ll especially notice the extra 28 feet when you are looking straight ahead at the 109 foot tall barrel roll drop. This means not only will you be plummeting towards the ground, you’ll also be upside down while doing it.

(In other news, grass is green; water is wet.)

Here's what you'll find lurking in the shadows at this year's Haunt (press release and photos from Kings Domonion).

1049093186_Haunt1(2).thumb.jpg.7186a3d387e3b27cf1ff05831f55edfe.jpg

NEW Terror Lurks at Kings Dominion’s Halloween Haunt, Fright-Free Family Fun Returns with The Great Pumpkin Fest

Fall events begin at the park Saturday, September 23

Doswell, VA — Kings Dominion will debut three gruesome new experiences as the dreadful fun of Halloween Haunt returns for its 17th frightful season on Saturday, September 23, 2017. The Great Pumpkin Fest also returns on September 23 with family-friendly Halloween fun in Planet Snoopy.

Adding to an already macabre lineup of mazes, monsters and live entertainment, the new Halloween Haunt highlights include a bayou-themed maze and two new roving performances.

1993266010_BloodontheBayou.thumb.jpg.e1855c6936a1a82f87f86cd56eb67edc.jpg

NEW MAZE: Blood on the Bayou

The park’s newest maze is themed after a haunted bayou where the swamps once ran red with blood, with whispers of curses and unnamed voodoo priests. Guests will wind their way through a swamp, past a half-sunken ship where the evil that lies in wait hungers for new visitors.

NEW SHOW: The Grave Walkers

Take a stroll with these twisted interactive street performers as they bring the best of the French Quarter to the Commonwealth. Listen for the blare of an approaching trumpet or the blast of a tuba as they take to the streets with a Halloween party like no other.

NEW SHOW: The Coven

In this roaming performance, a troupe of witches are wreaking havoc on the midways with their bizarre rituals. Beware because they are looking for their next victim as they prepare for the coming solstice.

In total, those who dare can brave eight mazes, five scare zones and a variety of live shows during Halloween Haunt, which features the largest scare force in the region with hundreds of monsters roaming the midways. During the nighttime event, guests can also get their adrenaline fix on more than 20 rides, including Intimidatorâ„¢ 305 and Dominator, as fog and darkness blanket the park.

Test your limits and experience fear beyond your worst nightmares with all-new Skeleton Key rooms. Guests face extra terror as they unlock exclusive chambers and complete sinister tasks in order to escape. Skeleton Key is exclusive to Fright Lane, a premium feature that gives guests front-of-the-line access to mazes and rides. Haunt is held select nights September 23 through October 29; entry tickets plus Fright Lane passes can be purchased online. Monsters descend upon the park at 7 p.m. during the Overlord’s Resurrection as he calls forth all of his minions and sends them out into the night.

GPF.thumb.jpg.44e7b810240613e107a3d02d10d83814.jpg

For daytime Halloween fun with no fear, The Great Pumpkin Fest in Planet Snoopy features surprises around every corner, from a petting zoo to a pumpkin painting patch. The little ones can take part in educational and interactive shows such as Mad Science: Halloween Edition.

The Great Pumpkin Fest has activities for the whole family to enjoy together; as an added benefit, children three to five years of age are eligible for FREE admission when their parent or guardian registers and activates their 2018 Pre-K Pass. The Great Pumpkin Fest is held select Saturdays and Sundays from September 23 through October 29 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

For the most up-to-date hours of operation, visit http://www.kingsdominion.com. The Great Pumpkin Fest and Halloween Haunt are both included with park admission. To get a FREE visit to Kings Dominion during Halloween Haunt, guests can purchase a 2018 Gold Season Pass.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been announced this week that the Denny’s located in front of Kings Dominion that is adjoined to the Motel 6 will permanently close this autumn. It will close after Halloween Haunt ends and Kings Dominion closes for the 2017 season. I asked a waitress about the situation who claims that it will be relocated to a new building that will be constructed at a more visible site.

The restaurant originally opened 30 years ago as The Brentwood and was renovated into Denny’s during the 90’s.

10694287_DennysClosing(2).thumb.PNG.c4f2872022d89b7b4b5ccfeb0a6f4f8f.PNG

^^-- The official reason was that Cedar Fair doesn't run rides other than as intended. Almost certainly the actual reason was that in 2008, the year it was put back forward, it was almost too rough to run safely forwards, much less backwards. The rise into the turnaround at that time was the roughest spot on any KD coaster ever, and that's saying a lot, and was retracked for 2009.

Currently, South is closed, with track ripped up and retracking occurring on the South side in the turnaround and following drop. Apparently it couldn't wait.

Edited by bill_s

It has been announced this week that the Denny’s located in front of Kings Dominion that is adjoined to the Motel 6 will permanently close this autumn.

Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago and it's a bit of a bummer. Back when it was a Best Western we stayed there and loved that Denny's. While Denny's food obviously sucks, it's really convenient to be able to walk out of the room, walk to Denny's for breakfast and walk to the front gate from there. The fact that it's open 24 hours so you can go there for Dinner after a midnight close and then walk back to your room is even better.

Random question, why did KD stop operating one side of rebel yell backwards? I forgot the reason why, but maybe they could bring it back for just one year with the addition of Twisted Timbers.

From what I heard,KI & KD took the regular PTC trains on one side and turned them around to run backwards.When PTC found out about it they said that doing so voided whatever warranty/insurance was on said train because it wasn't being "used as intended".Case in point:B&M constructed a special backwards train for SF to use on their B:TRs.

It has been announced this week that the Denny’s located in front of Kings Dominion that is adjoined to the Motel 6 will permanently close this autumn. It will close after Halloween Haunt ends and Kings Dominion closes for the 2017 season. I asked a waitress about the situation who claims that it will be relocated to a new building that will be constructed at a more visible site.

The restaurant originally opened 30 years ago as The Brentwood and was renovated into Denny’s during the 90’s.

The Denny's just down the road from SFStL closed down as well. I am not aware if it relocated.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, there was an event yesterday called ACE'S Fall Thrillfest. Here is the following information that is confirmed by Gary Chadwick and the RMC Crews.

1) There will be theming in the queue. He said they were building a huge prop for the entrance, and planned to include decorations throughout the line, as well. The queue itself will be taking advantage of the existing structure but will be shortened.

2) The trackwork for Twisted Timbers will start to pick up speed starting next week.

3) For the information about Winterfest, the majority of Safari Village will be closed. He said that they will try to keep many of the remaining attractions open as possible, depending on the weather.

4)For the other information about the park in general. Gary Chadwick emphasized that he considers Log Flume to be an important part of the collection of the park, he promised to fight to protect the Log Flume, if Cedar Fair corporate ever moves to take it down. He confirmed that Dino's Alive is "extinct". He also said that space, where Dino's Alive is, could be used for a cool attraction. Gary Chadwick was asked which ride is the most expensive to operate. He responded that in terms of return on investment, the Crypt costs the most resources. He seemed fairly negative about the ride in general. So, the Crypt day's will be numbered.

All the information credit to Parkfans.net.

This Gary Chadwick guy seems like a pretty cool dude

PS: On the subject of Shenandoah Lumber Company, we made our annual visit to the park today and I thought it was awesome to see a 20 minute line built up for a Flume in October. Kings Dominion's clientele sure seems to appreciate greatness when they see it. As always, the ride was f*cking spectacular.

2) The trackwork for Twisted Timbers will start to pick up speed starting next week.

It looks like most of the ledgers are placed. I wouldn't be surprised if the track work gets completed in a month or two. Did anyone ask on a timeline?

I'm super excited for Twisted Timbers. I love that the layout is super focused on airtime. Opening day can't come soon enough!

I would be kind of bummed out if The Crypt was removed but it makes sense it seems to have considerable downtime compared to other rides in the park. I hope if they take it out they add more large flat rides in because I do like parks with at least 3-5 larger flats.