TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I love Log Jammer and flumes in general, and I'm sad to hear that it's leaving, but it's not a big secret that something really good is coming down the road. And yes, Log Jammer really has been the perfect size and fit for Kennywood; it's an awesome flume. While I enjoyed White Water Landing at Cedar Point, I think the trade for Maverick was worth it. If the area is developed tastefully and allows Kennywood to add another major terrain coaster, then we're suddenly talking about one of the best pound-for-pound lineups in the country.

Nothing but <3 for Log Jammer, but I'm excited about the next couple of years.

Edited by Samuel

It is a weird thing to say, but I really don't want another coaster. I thought Sky Rocket was perfect for the park (just like Impulse at Knoebels, really), but a big RMC is going to really shoot attendance up and take the attention away from the wooden coasters that make this park what it is. I mean, it is weird to think they haven't put a wooden coaster into the park in SUCH a long time, but maybe that is for good reason. I recognize I am probably misguided in feeling this way, but I like Kennywood for what it is right now. The additions of the last decade have all felt appropriate and they haven't had to remove much of anything (Pitfall was disposable).

Remember, while Kennywood hasn't used the moniker in years, it's the original "Coaster Capital of the World." I love Log Jammer, and Kennywood does have a nice, well-rounded collection, but if the park can add a totally original terrain coaster down the road, that is Kennywood's DNA, and that is respecting the park's legacy.

Converting the Pippin into Thunderbolt took guts. Taking out the Laser Loop to build the world's biggest, fastest coaster took guts. Kennywood has had to play sensibly for various constraining reasons (amusement tax, land availability, waiting endlessly for the expressway to be built, etc.), but it's a park that has adapted many times over, outlived West View and White Swan, been a Western PA treasure, and isn't afraid to make bold moves when it can.

The comments on their FB announcement are basically nothing but butthurt. I think its kind of a bummer that another flume is going, but if its for an RMC then bring it!

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have a classic flume over a new RMC. The older I get the more I can appreciate a relaxing flume ride as a change of pace from riding a ton of coasters, no matter how good they may be.

The comments on their FB announcement are basically nothing but butthurt. I think its kind of a bummer that another flume is going, but if its for an RMC then bring it!

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have a classic flume over a new RMC. The older I get the more I can appreciate a relaxing flume ride as a change of pace from riding a ton of coasters, no matter how good they may be.

I don't think you're in the minority. I'm all for flumes. I think its lame they're removing this and not figuring out a way to build the RMC without taking this out. Build the RMC over/around it. I'm usually "out with the old, in with the new" but Kennywood is the perfect mix of classic and modern, and I think them removing any of the classic rides is wack. However, with something rumored to be going over in that area, this doesn't really surprise me. Having been to Kennywood, and having ridden at least one RMC, imagining what they're going to do with the terrain is outweighing my disdain over this removal. I missed riding this as we went on a mild temp day and only had a few hours anyway so it wasn't a priority. Totally regret that now. But a crazy terrain RMC up and down the ravine, if that's in fact what we're looking forward to here, is going to be completely bonkers and will get me (and I'm sure a whole lotta others) back there immediately. Bring it on!

I'm a fan of flumes and classic rides in general as well, so I certainly can understand how it hurts to lose something like this. It also kinda sucks for me since I'm making my first trip out there next year and I would have loved to experience it. I love how it actually goes up an actual hill after the first drop. Is this the only flume that does that? Do people count it as a credit?

On the other hand, from the outside looking in, I can see why it would be chosen for removal. There are so many classic, amazing rides at Kennywood, and while they always could carve out a space or build on top of stuff, this is probably the most elegant way to free up a ton of space. Flume rides are expensive to run, expensive to insure, and this one probably came due for an expensive overhaul.

I trust Kennywood to do some amazing stuff with the space. At least there is still the awesome flume at Hersheypark.

Rumor has it that there's more to this closure than just a roller coaster replacing it. Log Jammer is old, and apparently it was getting increasingly expensive to maintain it. Kennywood doesn't have the budget that a park like Busch Gardens has to renovate a ride like the log jammer that won't draw in a crowd as well as a new coaster. I am absolutely heartbroken though. It was my favorite flume and I have countless amazing memories of the ride.

we loved it when we were at Kennywood, and sorry to hear it's going.

tho to be completely honest, the biggest memory we have around Logjammer, is that after getting soaked on it, we tried the recommended "Deep Fried Oreos" from the stand there next to it.

ugh. . sweet and disgusting

Aw, this is a bummer. One of the few water rides I really enjoyed (I just don't like them much anymore). It definitely was a staple of our Kennywood visits as I was growing up but I look forward to seeing what happens in that spot. It will open up a nice big area back in that corner.

I was at Kennywood last weekend and had a chance to ride Log Jammer. It is still a great log flume and even though it was only around 55-60 out there was still a line. But the trough was looking very worn down in areas. The fiberglass looks like it needs replacing and I cannot imagine how it's cost effective to do so.

I know that it's nowhere near confirmed to be anything but when I was at the park last I asked about a new coaster and the staff man that I asked said that it's not going to be premier, take that how you want. Anyway no matter what this thing is it's going to be an insane night ride.

I'm...pretty sure I never rode Log Jammer. Might have something to do with the torrential downpours during my longest visit to the park....I'll live, though, since I've never quite considered log flumes a must-ride. I'm much happier about the unique attractions I did get to enjoy at KW than I am about missing a more common one, even though it sounds like it was a winner.

We are at the park today and Log Jammer has been down all day so far. The latest word is that they are expecting it to open up around 5 PM, but we'll see.

Edit: not looking likely.

IMG_9396.thumb.JPG.d539a22532709bb4f833f92883a57dd2.JPG

Double edit:

I stand corrected. It's open now and the masses have flocked to it.

I love how it actually goes up an actual hill after the first drop. Is this the only flume that does that?

Ripsaw Falls at Islands of Adventure does it too and Great Adventure's flume used to do it a long time ago but it's definitely a really unique feature.

Hersheypark's flume has a small uphill section at the bottom of the first drop, but it's fairly minor. Jetstream at Magic Mountain used to, but that element was removed. There's also Splash Mountain's indoor drop, but those uphill sections seem more coaster-y and less water-y.

Same here, I love log flumes as they dont get you soaked and are a nice break from coasters. I was very upset when they removed White Water Landing at Cedar Point but thankfully we got Maverick. Also, if this is a RMC I will try to get down the Kennywood.