TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

700 ft. tall coaster?

^Quote dictionary.com

terminal velocity

n : the constant maximum velocity reached by a body falling through the atmosphere under the attraction of gravity

air resistance

n : the opposition of the atmosphere to forward movement; also called aerodynamic drag

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I remember hearing that terminal velocity is around 120 mph, so costers can only get faster if they are launched. The initial idea for stratosphere stated that it would reach 120 mph, even though it would be 300 ft. taller than TTD. You would no longer be accelerating and losing your stomach at that speed, so all you would feel at that point would be the wind resistance.

^^ [geekmode] Partially correct. Terminal Velocity is achieved when the force of an object is equal to the wind resistance. No one speed can be attributed to Terminal Velocity as different objects with differentcharacteristics have different Terminal Velocities. 120 mph is sort of the benchmark for a human freefalling with arms and legs stretched out. [/geekmode]

Whe is the last time you got hit with a 120mph raindrop? It certainly fell more than 456 ft.

• 12 years later...

I was watching the history of Arrow Dynamics bonus interview with Alan Scilike.

He said this ride was ready to go into production.

The only reason the Fish Hook didn't get built was the locals in Vegas didn't want the stratosphere tower to be defaced with a rollercoaster.

Arrow had so much invested in this project it broke the company when the deal fell through.

Oh the good ole' Stratosphere Fish-hook roller coaster:

It looks so amazing!! But from what I have researched nearby residents complained because they were worried about the amount of noise that would come from the coaster... So it got scrapped.

Personally I'd love to see them put a new generation Intamin drop tower on the side of the Stratosphere ala: Kingda Ka style! YES PLEASE!!