TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Probably just a bit out of my price range to have a slide complex in my back yard

My 8-year old daughter is still trying to convince me to buy it haha. I'll swing by WWK this Sunday, I'm heading up for the marker ceremony to get footage for my documentary. I've attempted to get in legally but Cedar Fairs insurance policy on the site no longer covers the general public so I'm SOL unless I want a trespassing ticket

• 5 months later...

Here comes another train wreck!

https://www.gofundme.com/GeaugaLakeIsBack

My favorite line from the video: "He's hoping to raise some twenty million dollars, could say he has a ways to go, in the three days the campaign has been up, he's raised a total of forty dollars."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You can even hear the reporter laughing while he delivers that sentence. I don't have much else to say about this...

Edited by robbalvey

I'm honestly staggered at the publicity this campaign has garnered in local media. I live in Toledo (2.5 hours away) and our news stations even had a segment on it! I applaud anyone who tries to build and present a genuine case for the property renewal, but this is so ludicrous I can't do anything but laugh. Where are these numbers coming from? The economic propositions are absolutely crazy!

As a former GL employee and a kid who spent his summers there I am and will always be truly heartbroken it is gone.

That said, people need to get over it. It will never come back, ever. I doubt even Elon Musk could bring it back at this point!

My favorite part in all these insane "Bring back..." or "Save the..." schemes is how nothing makes any sense and the people who have set them up don't even notice how insanely stupid and totally unprofessional it all comes across...

965072880_ScreenShot2018-02-28at11_23_43AM.png.d64bf2c4ca6674445f65305478e89d66.png

"As of right now – this GoFundMe is set to only allow us to raise enough money to acquire the land." Which they have set at $20 Million.

"Phase 1: Land Aquisition - $50 Million" (Acquisition spelled wrong on their GoFundMe, BTW...)

"It is possible that we are able to acquire the land for as low as 12 million."

So which is it? $20 million? $50 million? or $12 million?

WTF!!! You just threw out 3 totally different numbers within two paragraphs regarding the same thing! I honestly cannot tell if this entire campaign is "Trolling? Or Just Stupid?" Probably both...

Edited by robbalvey

"Rotorman" or Fred (that's his real name) is a gentleman who has what would probably be diagnosed today as autism, or being on the autistic spectrum. He got his name cause he would literally ride the Rotor all day, he never spoke to anyone or would make eye contact which made people uncomfortable. He was however and very nice gentleman and once he trusted you enough he would talk to you. He would chat up the ride ops and was very friendly. He was just different at a time when things like Autism weren't in the spotlight or even well known or diagnosed (80's and 90's).

All money is *supposed* to be returned to the donors.

No, no, NO it's not! Please, do NOT make posts on our forum if you are clueless to what you are talking about or if you aren't going to bother to take 30 seconds to look up the information before you come here and post "fake news" making yourself look just as stupid as the people who are contributing to that campaign.

973391432_stupidpeoplearetheonesthatdontbothertodoanyresearchbeforepostingincorrectgarbage.jpg.74c0a902809808d588972c094db0f0ff.jpg

The way GoFundMe works is that you keep EVERYTHING. There is no stipulation at all to give money back if you don't make your goal.

Like, it's right there are the GoFunMe FAQ page:

41571012_ScreenShot2018-02-28at1_53_43PM.png.d7bc5ec7c429c2f9ca9cb3d10e25b684.png

Seriously this took me LESS THAN THIRTY SECONDS to find the answer.

Again, how stupid do you have to be to make a post like yours which is totally incorrect without even bothering to fact check what you just posted?

giphy.gif

Edited by robbalvey

All money is *supposed* to be returned to the donors.

No, no, NO it's not! Please, do NOT make posts on our forum if you are clueless to what you are talking about or if you aren't going to bother to take 30 seconds to look up the information before you come here and post "fake news" making yourself look just as stupid as the people who are contributing to that campaign.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 1.53.43 PM.png[/attachment]

Seriously this took me LESS THAN THIRTY SECONDS to find the answer.

Again, how stupid do you have to be to make a post like yours which is totally incorrect without even bothering to fact check what you just posted?

giphy.gif

This is a really important post! It's unbelievably stupid that people just assume they get their money back when putting forth 0 research/effort in understand what they're getting into.

I've seen so many people get burned on commissions/toys/"limited releases" that have just flat out failed and the money invested in an idea is lost.

I liked Geauga Lake back in the day, but it is done... let it go...

I hope people realize gofundme isn't like kickstarter (if memory serves correctly) kickstarter, I believe, returns money for unfunded projects, gofundme is a hole that people throw their money into sometimes for projects like this that will never happen.