TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Count me in the group hoping for gray supports like Wicked Cyclone with the blue rails.

God I can't wait for this thing. I'm definitely trying to get down there late next year. You guys think its safe to assume this will be open for HITP?

Count me in the group hoping for gray supports like Wicked Cyclone with the blue rails.

God I can't wait for this thing. I'm definitely trying to get down there late next year. You guys think its safe to assume this will be open for HITP?

I would think so since it is a steel coaster, right at the front of the park, and will be one of their marquee coasters. Doesn't Twisted Colossus usually run at Holiday in the Park at Magic Mountain?

But California weather is a little different than Georgia weather that time of year. Georgia does get more colder temps than L.A. does. Though barring weather concerns, I would assume that since its literally next to the front gate in an area that has definitely been open for HITP, that Twisted Cyclone would be open next winter. I need to get back to visit my sister next year so trying to figure when is the best chance to get more than a ride or two on this thing.

Doesn't Twisted Colossus usually run at Holiday in the Park at Magic Mountain?

Magic Mountain operates all year so every coaster in the park is open for the event. But yeah, this thing will absolutely run for Holiday in the Park.

Anyway, we really need to visit SFOG. Frontier sometimes has hilariously cheap flights to Georgia, so maybe next year we'll pull the trigger on a trip down there to check this thing out and visit the Braves new stadium.

With those hotels right next to the park and it being a reasonable distance (20 minutes) from the Atlanta airport, it would be easy for you guys to make a quick little weekend trip down there. I am forever plotting and scheming how I can make a quick jaunt down to SFOG, in spite of all the other parks I still need to get to.

With those hotels right next to the park and it being a reasonable distance (20 minutes) from the Atlanta airport, it would be easy for you guys to make a quick little weekend trip down there. I am forever plotting and scheming how I can make a quick jaunt down to SFOG, in spite of all the other parks I still need to get to.

Aaaaand there's a public transportation train that takes you to/from the city and also can take you pretty close to SFOG. Definitely an easy weekend trip!

Yeah the public transit in Atlanta was super easy for me to get around, though the morning I got there I just took an Uber from the airport over to the hotel/park, and he may have been one of my favorite Uber drivers ever. When I told him my plans for the day his face lit up and we chatted about the park the entire way. Super cool guy, gave him a nice fat tip.

A word to the wise regarding public transportation to the park and the area - during the day it is absolutely fine. At night, however, I'd recommend catching a cab at the last subway stop to get to the hotels / park (or an UBER from the airport.) MARTA is great and the subway is super efficient and easy to use. The stations and bus stops in that part of town can, however, be rather sketchy. For anyone unused to living or being around the inner city - it could be scary.

Can't wait till next year to ride this. I absolutely love SFoG and seeing a ride of this magnitude being added makes me so very happy.

It looks fun, and I’m excited...but I can’t believe they made it so short. There’s going to be such long lines for such a short fide. Still looks fun, though.

That's been the pattern with all of these 6 flags conversions. They go cheap (not big) and shorten the rides. I would take Viper at Great America anytime over this conversion. The Cedar Fair conversions so far seem to be the full coasters.

^

It looks fun, and I’m excited...but I can’t believe they made it so short. There’s going to be such long lines for such a short fide. Still looks fun, though.

That's been the pattern with all of these 6 flags conversions. They go cheap (not big) and shorten the rides. I would take Viper at Great America anytime over this conversion. The Cedar Fair conversions so far seem to be the full coasters.

Were you in the boardroom when the decision was made to go with the final layout that was chosen? If not, how exactly are you so sure it was due to money?

Twisted Timbers is a whopping 204 feet longer than Hurler. Steel Vengeance is 313 feet longer than Mean Streak. Yet somehow those are "the full coasters" (whatever than means?) but every other RMC is "cheap", even though the general consensus is they're generally amazing. OK. You wanna lump Kentucky Kingdom in with that while you're at it?

Let's not forget who was the first company to take a chance on RMC and got the ball rolling on these conversions.

Coaster enthusiasts: never letting an opportunity to bash Six Flags go to waste.

^

Were you in the boardroom when the decision was made to go with the final layout that was chosen? If not, how exactly are you so sure it was due to money?

Twisted Timbers is a whopping 204 feet longer than Hurler. Steel Vengeance is 313 feet longer than Mean Streak. Yet somehow those are "the full coasters" (whatever than means?) but every other RMC is "cheap", even though the general consensus is they're generally amazing. OK. You wanna lump Kentucky Kingdom in with that while you're at it?

Let's not forget who was the first company to take a chance on RMC and got the ball rolling on these conversions.

Coaster enthusiasts: never letting an opportunity to bash Six Flags go to waste.

I know right? Why does everybody bash on Six Flags? They add something to EVERY park EVERY year. And there hasn't been a Six Flags park yet that I haven't loved. And all the additions seem really great and will add to the parks that they are going to. And Twisted Cyclone looks like so much fun! It may not have as many airtime moments as other RMCs but it still looks like it will be a blast!

You know what, let people complain. Less people in line of me while I constantly re-ride this! It may not be Steel Vengence, but hey, it's 20 minutes from me and will probably be the most kick A$$ ride at the park.

I know I'm so excited! I live only ten hours away and I'm so excited to go ride! Next summer I'm taking a whirlwind trip to Six Flags Over Georgia, then to Owa, then to Six Flags Fiesta Texas, and I thought while I'm on my way back up to Springfield I might as well hit up Six Flags Over Texas since I'll be passing through Dallas anyways. I mean I haven't gone since 2016 so I'll be able to ride Joker and their new awesome flat ride! Plus I'll also be going to Six Flags St. Louis again at some point (that new waterslide looks like a lot of fun!) and also I'm going up to Silverwood. I might be going to Cedar Point at some point but who knows?

^

I know right? Why does everybody bash on Six Flags? They add something to EVERY park EVERY year. And there hasn't been a Six Flags park yet that I haven't loved. And all the additions seem really great and will add to the parks that they are going to. And Twisted Cyclone looks like so much fun! It may not have as many airtime moments as other RMCs but it still looks like it will be a blast!

Six Flags has earned the criticism they get and it's well deserved.

^^ How so? None of their parks seemed to be so awful to me that I just wanted to leave. Granted, I still haven't been to Six Flags Mexico but I heard that that park is great, plus they are getting a 4D free spin next year and I love those things. I've heard that they were pretty bad in the late 90's through the early 00's but they seem great to me in recent years. Again, they always add SOMETHING to EVERY park in the chain EVERY year. Whether it is a family ride, thrill ride, roller coaster, water ride, water park expansion, show, etc.

But seriously, I've never been to a Six Flags park that has a bunch of trash on the ground and I've never had an employee rude to me. There has never once been a visit to a Six Flags park where I didn't feel happy when I left at the end of the day. I could also say the same about the Cedar Fair parks I've been to, but I still prefer Six Flags over Cedar Fair. But that's just my opinion.

SFoG could install a 500-foot uber-coaster and some would still find a way to complain. Geez....us enthusiasts look like the most miserable folks on the planet...first world problems for sure

Problem is these complainers stay on the midways, and stay in the lines - unfortunately these people are never satisfied. The thing about Six Flags is that it is so affordable for everyone. $50 for a season pass which includes all Six Flags parks, White Water, and parking. $80 for a meal pass which includes 2 meals and a snack at all Six Flags Park$30 for an all season drink mug good at all Six Flags Parks. Those prices cannot be beat. Those prices bring crowds. Six Flags however has turned itself around from a struggling company to its current success. They have to be doing something right. When I go to Six Flags I just prepare for the crowds. Even with the large crowd this past weekend at Six Flags Fiesta Texas (Labor Day weekend), the longest line we waited in in the main park was 30 minutes for Iron Rattler. In the water park we waited 60 minutes for Thunder Rapids which was to be expected.

I personally am getting more and more excited for Twisted Cyclone. Be it a bit short, it is still going to back a big punch. Also there wont be a dull moment in the ride. The ride will be a blast from start to finish. I know sometimes us enthusiasts complain that some rides just have a bunch of "filler" moments. This will be a great addition to the park, and I am super excited!!

I'm not a complainer and I have LOVED SFOG since I was a kid. I also worked there as a teen so that's why I'm so passionate about this park. So what's wrong with Twisted Cyclone? It actually IS incomplete! The point that so many people are missing about ALL the complaints is an ENTIRE lap was omitted from the layout. Georgia Cyclone made 3 laps around the track but Twisted Cyclone only makes 2 laps!

Several online comments state that the footprint of Georgia Cyclone was too small to make the ride longer but that's not true! Wooden roller coasters typically weave in and out through the wooden structure and double back over or underneath the previous lap so there's PLENTY of room in the footprint to add more track! That AWESOME first Cobra/Horseshoe roll element eats up some of the track length so the ride estimate of 2,400 feet is a little misleading.

RMC has set a standard of utilizing ALL if not increasing the existing track length when they convert these coasters. Take a look at any video of Wicked Cyclone at Six Flags New England or The Joker at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and both of those coasters CLEARLY make 3 laps around the layout! So why was the ride length of Twisted Cyclone scaled back to 2 laps when the track length was already there? What makes the other parks more deserving of receiving the RMC standard than Six Flags Over Georgia?

Who wants their home park to have what enthusiasts are already calling '...the weakest RMC in the Six Flags family?" Some coaster fans are complaining because we're disappointed!!! We've waited six years for a new roller coaster at SFOG while several other parks have gotten World-class winged, launched and 4D Free Spin coasters. The Six Flags Corporation FINALLY decides to RMC Georgia Cyclone and the result is a watered down version of what this ride should be! This wouldn't be as much of an issue if ALL the other RMCs in the Six Flags family weren't longer and flat out BETTER! One more element, like a zero G stall, would make Twisted Cyclone the TRUE "record-breaking" coaster that we were promised and it makes sense because the track length was already there!

Of course, I'm happy that SFOG is getting an RMC and I'm definitely excited about riding it but I feel like it should have been TRUE to the original Georgia Cyclone layout and at least as good as the other Six Flags RMCs! Isn't Six Flags motto GO BIG? Well this time they should have GONE BIGGER!!!

I'm not a complainer and I have LOVED SFOG since I was a kid. I also worked there as a teen so that's why I'm so passionate about this park. So what's wrong with Twisted Cyclone? It actually IS incomplete! The point that so many people are missing about ALL the complaints is an ENTIRE lap was omitted from the layout. Georgia Cyclone made 3 laps around the track but Twisted Cyclone only makes 2 laps!

Hi welcome to cost 101, Six Flags is spreading captial across the entire chain for 2018. You aren't getting Steel Vengeance with a Six Flags budget.

Yes Twisted Cyclone has an abbreviated track length, but it sure does seem to do a lot in those 2400ft of track. Be grateful that SFOG is actually getting the biggest and probably best attraction in the entire chain for 2018.

I'm not a complainer and I have LOVED SFOG since I was a kid. I also worked there as a teen so that's why I'm so passionate about this park. So what's wrong with Twisted Cyclone? It actually IS incomplete!

Welcome to TPR. For someone who claims to not be a complainer you sure do a lot of complaining.

The point that so many people are missing about ALL the complaints is an ENTIRE lap was omitted from the layout. Georgia Cyclone made 3 laps around the track but Twisted Cyclone only makes 2 laps!

No one is missing that. It was immediately brought up after the layout was announced and has been mentioned repeatedly in this thread and elsewhere.

Wooden roller coasters typically weave in and out through the wooden structure and double back over or underneath the previous lap so there's PLENTY of room in the footprint to add more track! That AWESOME first Cobra/Horseshoe roll element eats up some of the track length so the ride estimate of 2,400 feet is a little misleading.

RMC and the park provided that track length. The reversed cobra roll would have nothing to do with that number being, as you feel "misleading". There's nothing misleading about it. There could be plenty of reasons why the third lap was cut out - as many have suggested, it could be cost. It could be space. It could also been for structural reasons. In any case we'll likely never know why SF/RMC shortened it so its no use crying over it. The ride features plenty of airtime hills, 3 inversions (two of which are part of a worlds first element), a waveturn, two cutbacks, etc. Its going to be a great ride in spite of losing a measly 500 feet of track. I can guarantee you when you hit the brakes on this thing, the last thing you're going to be worried about is how short the ride was.

RMC has set a standard of utilizing ALL if not increasing the existing track length when they convert these coasters. Take a look at any video of Wicked Cyclone at Six Flags New England or The Joker at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and both of those coasters CLEARLY make 3 laps around the layout! So why was the ride length of Twisted Cyclone scaled back to 2 laps when the track length was already there? What makes the other parks more deserving of receiving the RMC standard than Six Flags Over Georgia?

This is absolutely not true. Every operating RMC Ibox conversion has been shortened and some considerably (*waves at Iron Rattler and Storm Chaser*). You have google - do some research and look up some numbers before you make these claims. The only two RMC conversions that have been extended are the two Cedar Fair RMC's. All of the existing Six Flags conversions have been shortened to some degree - and all get mostly rave reviews. Twisted Cyclone will likely be no different.

Who wants their home park to have what enthusiasts are already calling '...the weakest RMC in the Six Flags family?" Some coaster fans are complaining because we're disappointed!!! We've waited six years for a new roller coaster at SFOG while several other parks have gotten World-class winged, launched and 4D Free Spin coasters. The Six Flags Corporation FINALLY decides to RMC Georgia Cyclone and the result is a watered down version of what this ride should be! This wouldn't be as much of an issue if ALL the other RMCs in the Six Flags family weren't longer and flat out BETTER! One more element, like a zero G stall, would make Twisted Cyclone the TRUE "record-breaking" coaster that we were promised and it makes sense because the track length was already there!

Six Flags hasn't added winged/launched coasters in half a decade. You were never promised a record breaking coaster. Cry about it.

Of course, I'm happy that SFOG is getting an RMC and I'm definitely excited about riding it but I feel like it should have been TRUE to the original Georgia Cyclone layout and at least as good as the other Six Flags RMCs! Isn't Six Flags motto GO BIG? Well this time they should have GONE BIGGER!!!

You should be happy because this ride it going to be awesome. Everyone said Storm Chaser and Wicked Cyclone and Joker would be the lamest RMC's and look at the reviews since they've opened. Bigger is not always better. Never judge a ride before you ride it.

Several online comments state that the footprint of Georgia Cyclone was too small to make the ride longer but that's not true! Wooden roller coasters typically weave in and out through the wooden structure and double back over or underneath the previous lap so there's PLENTY of room in the footprint to add more track! That AWESOME first Cobra/Horseshoe roll element eats up some of the track length so the ride estimate of 2,400 feet is a little misleading.

Let's see... SFoG has what is possibly one of the best hyper coasters, one of the best standup coasters, a classic Schwarzkoph, the original terrain Superman clone, a kickass Batman clone, a Eurofighter, an old school looper that the chain un-sucked, a solid old school wooden out and back, and one of the best atmospheres in the park chain. Now, the park is getting a kickass RMC makeover on an unpopular ride and you're bitching because they left out one lap? Not surprised. Seems like a pretty 2017-ish thing to do.

Meanwhile, we'll enjoy our new water slide at SFSTL next year, with our newest coaster being a 30 year old boomerang hand-me-down.