TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I really like the concept, and with my sweet tooth, some of the flavors sound appealing (I know, I'm still six years old inside) but that tiny cup just is not worth the money. That's disappointing. It can't cost them that much more to give you a decent serving for the money...

So looks like Hershey has announced that in addition to adding Triple Tower to the Christmas Candy Line ride lineup they'll also run Sidewinder this year, bringing the total number of coasters operating during the event to 6 (for those taking notes thats: Wildcat, SDL, Cocoa Cruiser, Laff Trakk, Wild Mouse and now Sidewinder). They need to bite the bullet and just run Great Bear.

http://www.hersheypark.com/seasons/christmas.php

Oh what fun it is to ride...more than 50 of your favorite rides, including 6 coasters! Plus, for the first time ever during Hersheypark® Christmas Candylane®, enjoy Hershey Triple Tower™ and Sidewinder.

So looks like Hershey has announced that in addition to adding Triple Tower to the Christmas Candy Line ride lineup they'll also run Sidewinder this year, bringing the total number of coasters operating during the event to 6 (for those taking notes thats: Wildcat, SDL, Cocoa Cruiser, Laff Trakk, Wild Mouse and now Sidewinder). They need to bite the bullet and just run all the damn coasters since they don't actually close any sections of the park outside of The Boardwalk.

Fixed that for you, Boldy.

On a related note, we're visiting this weekend, and I noticed online it says they changed the Sweet Start early entry access to include Kissing Tower Hill. Can anyone confirm if that means ALL the rides in that section or just select ones? I haven't been on Great Bear in about ten years at this point, and I definitely wanna change that.

Not sure about that one. I do know the towers are open for it. Are you in the Hershey FB group? They'll know.

Also agreed they should just open all the coasters but with the Intamins as finicky as they are/can be I'm not holding my breath. But since the towers will be open for Candylane, and GreatAdv running four of their five B&Ms. Great Bear should be running.

^ Can they run it, sure. Are they going to go out of their way if they don't have too? No.

Hershey's Christmas event pulls in plenty of money and is more family oriented. Unless they are changing their marketing to thrill seekers they won't have to open any of the major steel coasters.

Unless they are changing their marketing to thrill seekers they won't have to open any of the major steel coasters.

Two years ago when Great Adventure started doing Holiday in the Park they opened coasters during the event for the first time ever. One of them was Laff Trakk which was new and probably would have been running regardless of what Great Adventure did but it's no coincidence that they decided to run Wildcat and Looper for the first time the same year Holiday in the Park opened.

Last year they decided to throw in the Wild Mouse for the first time, this year they're adding another coaster. Christmas Candylane started in 1983. Clearly they're responding to what the competition is doing.

While it's definitely a family event they clearly think it's worthwhile to keep adding coasters to their Christmas lineup.

I agree with that although they will draw the line at Great Bear and never run any of the Intamins in winter weather.

Based on what?

Every time there's speculation about a holiday event at any park anywhere people talk about how it can't happen. Then it happens and people say they can't run their coasters. Then they run their coasters and say they can't run certain coasters and list a bunch of reasons. Then they run those coasters and they move on to the next coaster.

You might be right, but based on what we've seen there's no reason to confidently say that they'll draw the line at a specific coaster. I could absolutely see them running more and more coasters down the line. There's a B&M floorless running in Massachusetts this winter and B&M inverts running in St Louis and New Jersey this winter (and running really well by the way).

Im going off the basis of the Intamins are less durable than the B&M's in cold weather from what we have seen which is why the B&M's have been running during winter events while Intamin's haven't.

I remember seeing Intamin's have a minimum degrees requirement to run while B&M's will run in the middle of a Blizzard.

All coasters have a minimum recommended temp to run. I have consistently read here and elsewhere that B&Ms have a minimum temp of 40 degrees to run. Great Adventure (and now New England) runs them anyway.

Intamins are finicky for sure but we can't really assume that Great Adventure is not running them because they can't. Obviously they aren't supposed to run the B&Ms but they are anyway. And they're generally running well. Obviously Toro runs like sh*t in the cold and will valley just before the brake run, but we don't know if Kingda Ka *can't* run. I think a lot of it has to do with staffing and decorating those areas.

As far as Hershey running their B&M and Intamins, the event has always been geared towards families but Bill raises a very good point that they've obviously been adding more to the lineup in response to HITP.

Im going off the basis of the Intamins are less durable than the B&M's in cold weather from what we have seen which is why the B&M's have been running during winter events while Intamin's haven't.

I remember seeing Intamin's have a minimum degrees requirement to run while B&M's will run in the middle of a Blizzard.

B&M's have a temperature limit (according to Busch Gardens, Cedar Fair and others), Six Flags just found a way to run them anyway. Dollywood has eased way up on their B&M also and stopped cutting the Wild Eagle line when they cut the other coaster lines. Last year they would run it down into the 20's (after it reached the start up temperature). Parks pay attention to what other parks are doing.

The most exciting thing about the recent Christmas Event boom is that the increased competition is forcing every park to run more rides and make their events better. Hershey went over 3 decades without running a coaster, Great Adventure and Six Flags America started doing it and now they're running 6. Busch Gardens Williamsburg always used to run one coaster but last year they added a second (Tempesto) and I wouldn't be that surprised if they added InvadR this season. Dollywood started running Wild Eagle in way lower temperatures last year. As more and more parks run more and more coasters the competition will take notice.

As for the Intamin comment, I think the main reason we haven't seen an Intamin running is because the chain that's really being aggressive with this (Six Flags) hasn't had an event in a cold weather park where they had an outdoor Intamin coaster in a portion of the park that they would want to open anyway. For Six Flags New England to run Superman they would need to open and staff the entire park and in the event of snow they couldn't plow the entrance to the area so they'd need to shovel a sh*t ton of stairs. For Great Adventure to do it they would need to open the entire Golden Kingdom or all the way back to Plaza De Carnival and staff / decorate all of that. For Six Flags America to do it they would need to open Gotham City and figure out a way to decorate a field with no buildings or trees and staff a ton of extra things.

I've ridden Superman in New England, El Toro and Kingda Ka in the low 30's during Fright Fest and in the spring, it just doesn't make sense for them to open those areas for Holiday in the Park.

^ That's what gloves are for!

10665049_10207634403132506_9082570495290779997_n.jpg.383271d1bdf34964cb27d363f94cfe92.jpg

Who needs to hold on anyway?!

I think its hilarious that so many enthusiasts scoff at the idea of riding coasters in the cold, yet people do all sorts of activities outside in the cold in winter months - skiing, snowboarding, sledding, etc. Just bundle up, its fun!!

^ That's what gloves are for!

[attachment=0]10665049_10207634403132506_9082570495290779997_n.jpg[/attachment]

I think its hilarious that so many enthusiasts scoff at the idea of riding coasters in the cold, yet people do all sorts of activities outside in the cold in winter months - skiing, snowboarding, sledding, etc. Just bundle up, its fun!!

Coastering in the fall/winter is way more enjoyable than getting scorched in July/August . . . (BTW, my favorite cold weather coaster is Roar at SFA)

I LOVE that more and more parks are opening their doors for the winter holiday season. I agree that Hershey opening yet another coaster is a way to stay relevant within the amusement park world.

I think they know people come to ride these rides. People are going to ride them regardless if its 100 degrees or 20 degrees. I went to Great Adventure the first year they had their holiday event and I think it was a well done event with a great number of rides open. Also, the weather changes consistently especially in the MD, PA, DE, VA area. One day in the winter it can be 30 degrees and the next it can be 60 degrees. When I went Great Adventure's event it was in the mid 50's all day. Perfect temp to ride all of the rides in a hoodie.

Will we see eventually where every ride is open? That is definitely a possibility but they need bodies to run them rides.