TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Is there a reason this park can't put a coaster or new attraction anywhere but in the 2 dead end corners of the park where there is already a surplus of rides almost literally right on top of one another?

There is SO MUCH room throughout this park that goes unused, but for some reason the areas of the park that have the most concrete and the least amount of shade keep getting installations!

Went to SFDK back in July, the dumb larson looper wasn't even operating, not that I would have ridden it, but I don't know why they even have one of those in the park, it's the exact same carnival trailer ride I went on 20 years ago and it really looked super tacky at a park (even with all the cheap attempts Six Flags did with trying to disguise it as a permanent attraction). This ride is almost identical with a couple different elements but it's definitely an improvement over the larson looper, I would actually give this ride a go around.

SFDK was really one of the most awkward designed, head scratching parks I've been to in a while where there seems to be a ton of potential, but the forethought of Six Flags really seems to be lacking. Even with that said I enjoyed a lot of the attractions there and left wanting to come back again some day. Not to mention I LOVED V2, that horizontal spike was a LOT of fun, and I thought Joker was up there with Twisted Colossus as far as a fun, re-rideable coaster that no doubt replaced a woodie that was past its prime.

Whoa Whoa Whoa...why is everyone loving on this ride!!?!??! This is no different from the Super Loops that everyone hated on! Oh and btw, this park ALREADY HAS A SUPER LOOP!!! AHH!!! Coaster people, come on!!!

Pretty much solely because no one has seen a Skywarp previously in an amusement park. That's my guess.

I would say that, but also, I would say because of two other reasons...

1) No one has seen a Skywarp previously in a fair, either, which is one of the BIG knocks on the Super Loops, and why they get hated on.

and...

2) It's a little more involved of a ride experience than a Super Loop, which, although I've yet to ride an "Amusement Park" model, are fairly basic in their ride experience, from having ridden them at fairs for years. This involves a twist (literally), and a near head-on collision (visually at least), which should add to the thrill for some riders at least. So there's that...

I think we can all agree that this park needs to chill out on coasters for a bit. They've gotten 3 coasters in the past 5-6 years.

5-6 years? the only new "coaster" they've built in the past 5-6 years is Superman and the Joker. The Larson looper and this new ride are debatably called "coasters." you must not be reading the thread.

People are excited about this ride because its something new and because of the two-train gimmick. I think its a cool concept and I'm glad this park is getting it but I do agree with most people on here...they have too many coasters with forward and back motions.. I would really love to see this place get an out and back and on the opposite side of the park in the future. They keep adding rides to the front of the park but I feel like thats an easy way out for them. Yes I understand there are animals on the other side of the park but if they got creative, I bet they could think of something really cool and unique.

So much hating and complaining! If you look at what the other Six Flags parks got this year, everything except the Spinsanity/Cyborg flat that SFOT and SFNE are getting and debatably what TGE is getting either a) SFDK already has or b ) SFDK cannot get at this time (i.e. water slide).

This is a first of its kind and totally unique ride, and all the rides mentioned that have "similar experiences" are totally different and fun in their own ways. No one complains when there are two B&Ms in a park that the ride experiences are too similar even if they have similar elements. (I know that might be a stretch comparing two B&Ms vs. this and a Larson Loop, but I'm just trying to make a point).

At least the two rides in question are on opposite ends of the park. I really don't think any GP will draw conclusions between the two, and without riding this, we really don't know how similar or dissimilar the rides are. I'm pleased that yet again SFDK will debut a "first of its kind" ride, even if it gets cloned to death in the future.

Also, there probably aren't too many rides that would fit in that location. I'm surprised anything could. I'm still very pleased that nothing has to be taken out to add this (except maybe the tiny gift shop?)

This our first look at trex track?

isn't CGA getting Trex track with it's trail blazer coaster? Either way i'm happy RMC gets to make the track for this ride.

Raptor track.

Is there a reason this park can't put a coaster or new attraction anywhere but in the 2 dead end corners of the park where there is already a surplus of rides almost literally right on top of one another?

There is SO MUCH room throughout this park that goes unused, but for some reason the areas of the park that have the most concrete and the least amount of shade keep getting installations!

Went to SFDK back in July, the dumb larson looper wasn't even operating, not that I would have ridden it, but I don't know why they even have one of those in the park, it's the exact same carnival trailer ride I went on 20 years ago and it really looked super tacky at a park (even with all the cheap attempts Six Flags did with trying to disguise it as a permanent attraction). This ride is almost identical with a couple different elements but it's definitely an improvement over the larson looper, I would actually give this ride a go around.

SFDK was really one of the most awkward designed, head scratching parks I've been to in a while where there seems to be a ton of potential, but the forethought of Six Flags really seems to be lacking. Even with that said I enjoyed a lot of the attractions there and left wanting to come back again some day. Not to mention I LOVED V2, that horizontal spike was a LOT of fun, and I thought Joker was up there with Twisted Colossus as far as a fun, re-rideable coaster that no doubt replaced a woodie that was past its prime.

Do you know anything about the history of the park? SFDK wasn't a Premier park until late 90s, and not Six Flags until early 2000s. They didn't get their first coaster until '98 (Boomerang and Kong), which is relatively new for theme park standards. So, Six Flags didn't design this park, and it was never originally designed for coasters.

As far as we know, there is still a height restriction for rides that is a bit more relaxed at the front of the park (150') and more strict towards the back (<50'). At this point, what's the point of adding one flat toward the back of the park where most people who want to ride rides will forget/not notice it? Generally, the adult rides are sequestered to the two front areas, and that's where people who want to ride rides generally hang out. My main complaint is the difficulty getting from the now DC rides area to the Medusa area, but when you compare that walk to much more spread out parks like Magic Mountain, it's really nothing at all.

My 5-year plan rides-wise would include a drop tower, family coaster, and maybe a transportation-type ride (sky buckets, anyone?), but I'm perfectly cool with the thrill rides they've been getting after we endured years of kids' additions.

^ You got it. SFDK used to be my homepark, and yes, you are right .

Also, much care has been taking by Six Flags to not build loud roller coasters near the animals in the inner workings of the park. Instead, building on the outer perimeter of the property.

Also, much care has been taking by Six Flags to not build loud roller coasters near the animals in the inner workings of the park. Instead, building on the outer perimeter of the property.

Thankfully, it seems that SFDK has been able to fly under the radar for the most part in the wake of all the negative PR Seaworld has had to endure in regards to their animals. Better to tread lightly in this time when it comes to anything concerning the animals. They got rid of their orca just in time, it seems, although I will forever miss seeing Shouka (and before that, Yaka and Vigga).

My longgg time goal for them has been to do some kind of upgrade to the dolphin pools, similar to the Blue World Project Seaworld proposed. However, at this time it would probably be very bad to market anything having to do with animals and specifically marine life, as that would set themselves up as a target for PETA and other activists.

Part of me wonders if they may have had some animal-related proposals in their 5-year plan that they shelved in favor of these thrill rides because of everything that's happening with Seaworld. Just a personal musing.

Went to SFDK back in July, the dumb larson looper wasn't even operating, not that I would have ridden it, but I don't know why they even have one of those in the park, it's the exact same carnival trailer ride I went on 20 years ago and it really looked super tacky at a park (even with all the cheap attempts Six Flags did with trying to disguise it as a permanent attraction).

It IS a permanent attraction. They can't just pack it up and move it in a day. It's not portable.

Part of me wonders if they may have had some animal-related proposals in their 5-year plan that they shelved in favor of these thrill rides because of everything that's happening with Seaworld. Just a personal musing.

Interesting theory that wouldn't surprise me, actually.

Also, after nearly a decade of being the premier thrill park of the bay area, CGA now has the guns to apply some pressure.

After nearly a decade of being the premier thrill park of the bay area, CGA now has the guns to apply some pressure.

If not for Joker, it's say they had already passed DK up. I'd also wager given CGA's ambitious master plan, it's only a matter of time before they leave DK firmly in the dust. Cedar Fair is investing an amazing amount of time and money in it's west coast parks.

After nearly a decade of being the premier thrill park of the bay area, CGA now has the guns to apply some pressure.

If not for Joker, it's say they had already passed DK up. I'd also wager given CGA's ambitious master plan, it's only a matter of time before they leave DK firmly in the dust. Cedar Fair is investing an amazing amount of time and money in it's west coast parks.

SFDK needs to follow in CGA's footsteps and get part of the park rezoned. Maybe consider building a parking structure, and use the left over land for expansion.

Just a bit of early trip planning for next July. My plan would be to fly in to the area over the weekend, CGA Monday/Tuesday, Wednesday either a day off or a spare day in case of weather, and then Thursday or Friday at SFDK. I am willing to spend both at the park, but could I do the park in a single day hitting all credits/worthwhile flats/best of the rest?

Just a bit of early trip planning for next July. My plan would be to fly in to the area over the weekend, CGA Monday/Tuesday, Wednesday either a day off or a spare day in case of weather, and then Thursday or Friday at SFDK. I am willing to spend both at the park, but could I do the park in a single day hitting all credits/worthwhile flats/best of the rest?

In the slow season you could easily just walk in and hit everything. July is quite busy, but if you're willing to buy a flash pass, you could still do everything easily. I'd wager you could probably squeeze everything in without it if you were smart, but it would probably be a lot more planning and hurrying and less fun and freedom to roam.

Joker is currently the star attraction and you want to start there on busy days. If you get to the front gate more than 30 minutes before gates open, you can probably assure yourself of walking onto the first Joker train, but bet on the line being a lot longer before you can get a second lap in. Hit Superman second, Wonder Woman third, V2 next if it's running, then do White Water Falls if you're into water rides, then go to the Land area to hit Medusa, Kong, Sky Screamer, and Cobra. Then do the less popular areas of the park including Boomerang if you really want that credit, Hammerhead, etc.

Harley Quinn will probably be open by then and it will be new so it will be popular, so I'd reckon probably doing that before or after Wonder Woman.

Went to the park today to get my passes processed. Worked perfectly with being scanned off my smartphone and we got our 2018 free refill cups at the cartoon kitchen and used the freestyle machine instantly. No issues getting our lunch snack or dinner.

The Joker didn't open until about 11 am despite some worker riding it around 10:50 if not before that. Wonderman opened later then it, not sure when. Superman also didn't open at 10:30 exactly and right after it's first public riders it went down again for about 8-12 mins, I assume someone just complained about some sound or maybe dropped something while riding or maybe someone just had some protein sorta spill.

V2 also started running, I figured it would of been under refurb since it looked taken apart in Captain Lee's ride teaser. Also I noticed they added a bald eagle encloser and bob cat while all the elephants and their signage are gone. Wonder what they'll do with the elephant space now.

PS: the fish and chips place in the food court area was really slow at 4:16pm to at least 5:30-ish and the fish kinda sucked. Really should of just gone with kickin chicken for dinner.

Thought this was cool and worth a share. NewsPlusNotes posted these aerial/google shots of a before/after of the Joker/Superman/Wonder Woman area. Pretty cool to see it from above. They really squeezed WW in there.

That's pretty cool. I've been looking at the satellite pics of the area and wish they could acquire the land across the way (along with the hotel). They could build a pedestrian bridge over Fairgrounds drive. Hell, throw a gondola lift/skyway system for convenience too. Or maybe use that land to build a parking structure, and expand the park there. Just wishful thinking.

pipe_dream.jpg.a2da397ca34e02ebf197ad100464a730.jpg

Pipe dreams...

Also I noticed they added a bald eagle encloser and bob cat while all the elephants and their signage are gone. Wonder what they'll do with the elephant space now.

They've had the eagle and bobcat for a while now, they just aren't always out.

Love the before and after pictures! And laqueefa, your pipe dream is great. They sometimes use that area for overflow parking, but isn't it also used for the fair? I've never been to SFDK during the fair in question, so I don't really know what they use and don't use.

Thought this was cool and worth a share. NewsPlusNotes posted these aerial/google shots of a before/after of the Joker/Superman/Wonder Woman area. Pretty cool to see it from above. They really squeezed WW in there.

They really did shoe horn WW in!! From the aerial shot, looks like they'll also be squeezing Harley Quinn into that tiny area between Superman and the Go Karts. V2's spot also looks RIPE for an S&S 4D, maybe 2019?

That's pretty cool. I've been looking at the satellite pics of the area and wish they could acquire the land across the way (along with the hotel). They could build a pedestrian bridge over Fairgrounds drive. Hell, throw a gondola lift/skyway system for convenience too. Or maybe use that land to build a parking structure, and expand the park there. Just wishful thinking.

They've tried. Land is owned by Solano County, not city of Vallejo. While Vallejo would be for it, Solano County isn't interested in losing their fairgrounds.

Also I noticed they added a bald eagle encloser and bob cat while all the elephants and their signage are gone. Wonder what they'll do with the elephant space now.

Love the before and after pictures! And laqueefa, your pipe dream is great. They sometimes use that area for overflow parking, but isn't it also used for the fair? I've never been to SFDK during the fair in question, so I don't really know what they use and don't use.

I've known they had the eagle back in at least 2014. Just surprised they made new enclosures for it, no idea when the park got a bobcat though I just thought they only had the cougar('s). I'll be interested to see if anything happens in that area of the park or if they are just going to turn it into a lowkey zoo.

Also that monkey madness or whatever it's called. I'm kinda sad that it's more fun then Pacific Rim. I did love the line and pre-show of Pacific Rim though and I still think bringing back Dinosphere would be best.

I've known they had the eagle back in at least 2014. Just surprised they made new enclosures for it, no idea when the park got a bobcat though I just thought they only had the cougar('s). I'll be interested to see if anything happens in that area of the park or if they are just going to turn it into a lowkey zoo.

I might be mistaken about the bobcat, I seem to remember seeing one at some point at SFDK but I could be wrong. Maybe it was in one of the shows and now it's viewable at other times too?

I don't know what you mean by eagle enclosure. They have had an open air area where the eagle is tethered to a branch and employees are there to answer questions about it.

That area has been a "low-key zoo" since before there were coasters. Hopefully it will stay that way for some time. I frequently chat with employees about how likely they are to acquire new animals and whatnot. At this point, it just depends on if there are rescue animals that the state deems "unreleasable" and decides to send to SFDK. I guess it happens for them every so often.

Also, I don't think it was mentioned here at all, but one of the walruses, Siku, died recently. That leaves SFDK with only one. If history repeats, SFDK will be forced to send that one away because it can't be alone. It's very sad. I love checking out the walruses every time I visit the park.

IMG_2663.thumb.JPG.0dd429f4917b71254d7867f323ec1149.JPG

The last remaining walrus, Uquq

I have a nice picture of the two walruses playing with someone else's kids, but I thought not to post it without permission.

I might be mistaken about the bobcat, I seem to remember seeing one at some point at SFDK but I could be wrong. Maybe it was in one of the shows and now it's viewable at other times too?

I don't know what you mean by eagle enclosure. They have had an open air area where the eagle is tethered to a branch and employees are there to answer questions about it.

There's a new eagle enclosure right next to the bobcat's. It's directly behind where they used to do the elephant show, the park was also doing some animal showcase in the elephant show spot last Saturday. I'll get a picture of the place next time I visit.