TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Hey everyone! We just got in the following info from Knoebels about Phall Phunfest! Remember your Club TPR membership allows you access to this event!

Hello,

Phoenix Phall Phunfest will be here before we know it! We’ll once again have a Friday night exclusive event on October 6, and our traditional PPP events on October 7.

We know many PPP visitors love Flying Turns, but might not love waiting in line to ride. So this year, Flying Turns will be part of the Friday night exclusive event (weather permitting)! We’re still receiving the overwhelming response that a Phoenix Phall Phunfest event should include Phoenix, so Phoenix will fly the entire time, too! The event will be held in Phoenix courtyard area, and will include “light” refreshments (Knoebels style), live entertainment, great friends and more!

The Friday night event will be open to pre-registered members of approved enthusiast clubs and one guest, and the coupon pack will be provided on Saturday with the purchase of a Phunfest Saturday ride plan AND proof of a club membership. Registration for Friday evening is currently open at http://www.knoebels.com/phunfest. Pre-registration will not be required for Saturday. You do not need to purchase a pay-one-price plan in order to attend the Friday evening event, but you do need to purchase a pay-one-price plan on Saturday in order to get the coupon pack.

Phoenix Phall Phunfest Preview Exclusive Event (October 6):

- FREE event for card carrying enthusiasts of our approved groups (Club TPR!), plus one guest

- Register at http://www.knoebels.com/phunfest

- Check-in begins at 6:30 p.m. on October 6 near Freaky Fandango

- Event runs from 7:00-10:00 p.m.

- Three hours of ERT on Phoenix and Flying Turns (weather permitting)

- “Light" refreshments

- Knoebels Plinko game with Knoebels prizes (with donation to Give Kids the World)

- Live entertainment by the "Koaster Kats"

- PPP shirt sales so you can skip the line on Saturday

Phoenix Phall Phunfest Saturday Events (October 7):

- 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Covered Bridge Festival

- 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Rides Open

- noon - 4:00 p.m. Souvenir Swap Meet at Phoenix Courtyard

- 7:00 p.m. - Costume Parade registration at Food Court

- 8:00 p.m. - Costume Parade (prizes awarded)

- 10:30 p.m. - Rally & Bonfire at Campground

Phunfest Coupon Packs are provided to approved enthusiast club members only (does not include guest) who purchase any of our Saturday Ride Plans. Coupon Pack includes: 2 Slices of Cesari's Pizza, Drink, Game Ticket & Haunted Mansion Ticket). Pre-registration not required.

We hope to see you in October (or sooner)!

Those of you planning to go to PPP 2017 -- and specifically, the Phriday night PPPreview Party (which you should be, it's going to be fkn amazing!!) -- may also be interest to know that the very kind folks over at the Elysburg Haunted House ( https://www.facebook.com/ElysburgHauntedHouse ) have offered Friday Knoebels attendees the special priviledge of a PREVIEW HAUNT night (somewhat in conjunction with the Knoebel event).

It will also be held on Friday, October 6th, from 9 - 10 PM-ish** They note the closing is not a hard/fast time, and they they will stay open if there are large crowds of attendees -- they want EVERYONE to go through their amazing house!!!

So yeah -- FYI if you're planning on attending PPP 2017, and specifically Knoebels Friday Night soiree, that one of the BEST Haunted Houses in all of America will be open for Enthusiasts and their Guests late on that Friday night as well. The house is AWESOME and it's an opportunity you'd be well served in seizing!!!!!

elysburgHH_announcement.jpg.88c7d26cff266da5c1a586928e1e5798.jpg

My family had an unexpected visit to Knoebels a few days ago. We went for four hours and got the after-4pm wristband, but I was able to get a ton of rides in. There were barely any lines so most coasters ran one train, but they were the fastest one-train operations I have ever seen. We also got tons of food. The atmosphere of this park grows on me more and more after every visit. Rides:

Haunted Mansion

Flying Turns

Flyer

Phoenix x 5 - My opinion on what the best seat is changes almost every visit. Sometimes I like the back rows, this time I preferred the front row. Always an exciting and addictive coaster.

Giant Flume

Super Round-Up

Black Diamond

Bumper Cars - Got my most insane ride on it yet!

Satellite

Impulse

StratosFear

Twister x 3 - Rode in the back row once, and second row twice. The train wasn't very full on any of my rides, but still keeps a fast pace.

Fandango - In almost any other park this would be something I'd ride every visit, but I tend to neglect Fandango since there's so much to do here. It's a small frisbee, but the hang-time is fantastic.

Power Surge

Downdraft x 2 - I always love to end the night with Downdraft!

We'll be coming back in October, hopefully to spend the whole day and enjoy the smaller attractions I haven't been on. I've been here six times and I still need to try their carousel, Cosmotron, ski lift, the magic carpet ride that literally has a human wife, train ride, etc. There's new things I want to try each time!

Hey everyone! We just got in the following info from Knoebels about Phall Phunfest! Remember your Club TPR membership allows you access to this event!

Hello,

Phoenix Phall Phunfest will be here before we know it! We’ll once again have a Friday night exclusive event on October 6, and our traditional PPP events on October 7.

We know many PPP visitors love Flying Turns, but might not love waiting in line to ride. So this year, Flying Turns will be part of the Friday night exclusive event (weather permitting)! We’re still receiving the overwhelming response that a Phoenix Phall Phunfest event should include Phoenix, so Phoenix will fly the entire time, too! The event will be held in Phoenix courtyard area, and will include “light” refreshments (Knoebels style), live entertainment, great friends and more!

The Friday night event will be open to pre-registered members of approved enthusiast clubs and one guest, and the coupon pack will be provided on Saturday with the purchase of a Phunfest Saturday ride plan AND proof of a club membership. Registration for Friday evening is currently open at http://www.knoebels.com/phunfest. Pre-registration will not be required for Saturday. You do not need to purchase a pay-one-price plan in order to attend the Friday evening event, but you do need to purchase a pay-one-price plan on Saturday in order to get the coupon pack.

Phoenix Phall Phunfest Preview Exclusive Event (October 6):

- FREE event for card carrying enthusiasts of our approved groups (Club TPR!), plus one guest

- Register at http://www.knoebels.com/phunfest

- Check-in begins at 6:30 p.m. on October 6 near Freaky Fandango

- Event runs from 7:00-10:00 p.m.

- Three hours of ERT on Phoenix and Flying Turns (weather permitting)

- “Light" refreshments

- Knoebels Plinko game with Knoebels prizes (with donation to Give Kids the World)

- Live entertainment by the "Koaster Kats"

- PPP shirt sales so you can skip the line on Saturday

Phoenix Phall Phunfest Saturday Events (October 7):

- 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Covered Bridge Festival

- 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Rides Open

- noon - 4:00 p.m. Souvenir Swap Meet at Phoenix Courtyard

- 7:00 p.m. - Costume Parade registration at Food Court

- 8:00 p.m. - Costume Parade (prizes awarded)

- 10:30 p.m. - Rally & Bonfire at Campground

Phunfest Coupon Packs are provided to approved enthusiast club members only (does not include guest) who purchase any of our Saturday Ride Plans. Coupon Pack includes: 2 Slices of Cesari's Pizza, Drink, Game Ticket & Haunted Mansion Ticket). Pre-registration not required.

We hope to see you in October (or sooner)!

Those of you planning to go to PPP 2017 -- and specifically, the Phriday night PPPreview Party (which you should be, it's going to be fkn amazing!!) -- may also be interest to know that the very kind folks over at the Elysburg Haunted House ( https://www.facebook.com/ElysburgHauntedHouse ) have offered Friday Knoebels attendees the special priviledge of a PREVIEW HAUNT night (somewhat in conjunction with the Knoebel event).

It will also be held on Friday, October 6th, from 9 - 10 PM-ish** They note the closing is not a hard/fast time, and they they will stay open if there are large crowds of attendees -- they want EVERYONE to go through their amazing house!!!

So yeah -- FYI if you're planning on attending PPP 2017, and specifically Knoebels Friday Night soiree, that one of the BEST Haunted Houses in all of America will be open for Enthusiasts and their Guests late on that Friday night as well. The house is AWESOME and it's an opportunity you'd be well served in seizing!!!!!

OMG I so want to go - but it just isn't in the cards this year. I've always wanted to attend this event! Looking forward to pictures

^OMG I want to go too! It wasn't in my cards this year, either... but I'm planning for it just in case! Registered and requested the days off work! I usually leave Chicago on Thursday and then leave to come home on Monday. I would stay longer if the park were open longer!

Can someone give me a quick sell on why I oughta go to Phoenix Phall Phunfest? Never been before, obviously love the park. Just curious as to what separates it from other days (aside from the Friday preview)? Thanks guys!

The big thing on the Saturday is the coupon pack / combo. Take your Club TPR card and when you buy any all-day ride pass you get two slices of pizza, a drink, a games pass and a spin on the Haunted Mansion all for free.

I have always liked going to Knoebels at the beginning and the end of the operating season, and the area is just downright gorgeous in Autumn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

A courtesy FYI ... on 10/6 at the start of the Friday night private enthusiasts party, the park will be holding a special Memorial ERT in honor of long-time employee Bumper Car Jack, who passed away in June.

All the details can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/BumperCarJackMemorial

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the park yesterday for a brief period. They were doing a BOGO promo on wristbands (visit again next year) and it was a really nice day out so as a ticket person such as myself (we only had a 3 or 4 hour window at the park) we ended up giving a ton of our tickets away at the end of the day because the crowds were pretty crazy. At least *I* think so.

Hello Phoenix! Oh, your line is spilling out onto the Midway? Oh -- regardless, the ride is amazing and it was worth stopping in just for that. Got one ride in.

85b3a9269812179b890ff737f2b483dc.jpg

But of course we rode Haunted Mansion twice... way better than the Disney counterpart...

a1b14b41c80096ca5911ede63055c1bb.jpg

I had to play the bowling ball roller game... and I won!!!

1c026b0b04ae386ae350cc067be56a9a.jpg

And then of course we played fascination, the best amusement park game ever created...

169df1630f9b56af8fbc6b0909d9c93b.jpg

And then for the main event... the food!!! I got ceasaris (sp?) pizza which was decent, the GOOD perogies thanks to Bill's map, which were really good (not as good as my Grandma's, though, she carmalizes the onions :-P), and the potato cakes were just extremely greasy and dripping oil (the plate was sopping wet)... we were not fans.

Black diamond was wonderful and confusing as ever. Hmmm what else....

it's a shame we had to make it another quick stop but the crowds and time was against us yet again at this park. -- Maybe next time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen Phoenix's line that long! That looks like it could actually take a half hour.

Any other park with a line spilling onto the midway like that would be something I'd come back later, but with the ops at Knoebels I wouldn't have an issue.

^Do it! It really is the bomb, Knoebels outdo themselves every year. They spoil the heck out of us. I would also suggest the PPP Facebook page… That’s where you can find out when and where to sign up for the Friday night event. If you are in almost any coaster/park club, you can sign up and bring a friend. I had bacon on a stick for the first time last night!

001A0E2B-3980-49A3-92ED-DF0C2F3AA466.thumb.jpeg.9a0158c84f5bdf84c45426bd24ae8ba2.jpeg

Had a /fantastic/ time today, as always. PPP (and Knoebels in general) is always a great time. Props to the flyers ops for letting us get away with murder! They were only slowing it down if you were in danger of colliding your tubs.

^and....how was your first bacon-on-a-stick? I still can't imagine what it looks like. Haven't seen any pix of this version of it....yet.

It was very good! I’m kind squeamish when it comes to gristle and meat in general, but damn that was tasty. In fact, tonight I was trying to locate where they had it in the park. Was it just a special for last night? I know where all the rides are at Knoebels, but not the food.

Some thoughts on my first PPP. No pictures, but I think there are plenty to go around elsewhere. My girlfriend and I arrived at the park around 2:00 PM on Friday and spent the day exploring the Covered Bridge Festival. An overwhelming (in a good way) number of craft and food vendors. Was really neat how it was all set up (even overflowing throughout the park this year). Had some yummy Iron Kettle Ham and Bean Soup ($3) and grabbed a few other things from the festival. Also enjoyed the pierogies from the proper stand ($5.75/6) and a KFC bowl knockoff ($5.50) (much better than KFC). This was all before the Friday Night preview was to start. The event description had listed "light refreshments" so we filled up a bit too much before the event started only to realize that there was an abundance of food to be had at the event. In the back of my head, I figured "light" was an understatement. This included: round-stand pierogies (fried without butter or onions, still yum but not AS yum), hash browns, bacon-on-a-stick (incredible, but they ran out pretty quickly), hamburgers, hot dogs, candy apples, cake, kettle corn, and roasted corn on the cob. Got practically all of that and scored 7 laps on Phoenix, 2 on Flying Turns, and a quick walkthrough of the mini fun house they brought in for the Halloween Season. Dick Knoebel sang with the band and they auctioned off a bunch of cool stuff with proceeds going to GKTW.

So then Saturday. Started our day right with breakfast at the food court. Shared a platter of 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, toast, ham, and home fries for $7, before grabbing our hand stamp and coupon book for the day. This was my first time not using tickets and we kept track of what we rode out of curiosity to see if we would come out on top (accounting for Weis Markets discounted tickets). Rode a bunch of rides we had never really ventured to (Satellite, Whip, Ole Smokey, Loopers) and got re-rides on the Flyers and Skooters. I loved seeing the park all decked out for Halloween. Literally everywhere. A highlight that I didn't capture in time was a lone skeleton riding the Skyway. A really clever little touch. Used my coupon and got our pizza for lunch. We made it a few more hours before craving food again. We shared the pork chop on a stick with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut ($6) which was really yummy. Played some fascination (and won!) and also noticed a really strange happening on the motor boats. Folks were kinda getting stuck in the current and using supports for Kosmo's Kurves as leverage to propel themselves forward. There were multiple boats kinda all bumped together. Later on, we visited a pop up shop right near the Round Stand that was selling soup and picked up a bowl of Chili ($5). Oh my goodness, this was the best chili we have ever had. I can't recommend it enough. Ventured right around the corner and we shared a neapolitan ice cream waffle sandwich ($4). Another new one for us, it was so, so good. Honestly, the food is every bit as much a highlight as the rides every year and it is great to experience new things every time and revisit old favorites like the Sweet Tea Slushes ($2.50) and Pierogies.

Phoenix was running better than ever and we experimented across the train, settling in in row 2 and 3 mostly (I still give an edge to row 3. The tunnel was nicely spookified and the ride was hauling. Twister was a bit rough, especially in the back, but still a quality ride. The train ride being all decorated was great and was done in such a charming way. Our night ended with a real highlight, the Haunted Antique Cars. My girlfriend was skeptical because the line was so long at dusk, but we waited it out and returned around 9:30 and got on in 20 minutes or so. This is an incredible experience. There were countless sets and lots of good scares along the way. I honestly felt like I was getting a haunted house level experience but for a fraction of the price. All said and done we rode about $60 in rides for our $42 wristband (plus coupons for food), which is like $48 in discounted ticket books. I can see why the park doesn't normally allow wristbands to be purchased on the weekends, because even if with a lot of Phoenix re-rides and a pretty full day of riding, it is hard to break even.

I think this will become our annual visit, because of how wonderful Friday Night was, coupled with the Covered Bridge Festival. Crowds were manageable for rides, in spite of the parking lot being filled to capacity.

For those of you who have been to Knoebels, you know that 2 train operations on Phoenix or Twister is pretty rare. During Phoenix Phall Phunfest, I got to see the Twister crew transfer on the second train. It turns out a transfer on is done by hand without the help of a computer. The attendants actually push the transfer track into place and then push the 2nd train off the storage track. In fact, the ride does not have a computer system at all (according to the ride attendants). It only features a basic safety system to keep the trains from colliding. Once both trains are on the track, the ride attendants begin cycling the ride empty to establish a consistent cycle time between the two trains. For proper timing, the train in the station is dispatched when the other train is halfway through the rose bowl.