TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

I'd love to see the Six Flags parks give an option for a bottle free drinking pass. I did the Cedar Fair one this year and loved it, it's great not having to carry one of those big bottles around all day and I don't drink that much anyway so the smaller cups that Cedar Fair gives out are perfect.

Overall a much better year than last year. Twisted Cyclone and SFFT's Wonder Woman both look great and many of the parks got awesome flat rides that will compliment their coasters nicely.

I beg to differ. It's quite obvious Six Flags was incredibly cheap this year. The chain as a whole spent around 50 million as supposed to the 75 million number that was being thrown around. They may not see a big profit at a few of the parks.

Not sure how you are doing the math - they said 2018 capital totals would be close to the prior totals. We'll know the exact number soon, but I'd guess this year is around 100 million. I think you are underestimating how much some of the flat rides cost. I remember Maxair at Cedar Point costing somewhere around 8-10 million and that was back 10+ years ago.

These seem pretty much like what we expected to see Six Flags add to their parks. I don't think there should be any major complaints. Most of this stuff looks fun.

My only issue is naming of rides. How many different names now do the free flys have, 4? (Batman, Joker, Green Lantern, and now Wonder Woman). 2 Gyroscope rides, one Cyborg, one Harley Quinn... I kind of understand why they would do it differently from park to park, but overall I would prefer if the kept the names the same or similar across the franchise.

Oh well, that is a super minor complain, I guess I'm just curious about the opinions of others on this.

^ I read somewhere that it was more like 2 million.

No way. Those Giant Discoveries are as expensive as a small coaster. Also remember, this is a company that mismanaged itself into bankruptcy. They are spending far more responsibly, and finally adding more versatility to their parks that already have huge coasters.

My only issue is naming of rides. How many different names now do the free flys have, 4? (Batman, Joker, Green Lantern, and now Wonder Woman). 2 Gyroscope rides, one Cyborg, one Harley Quinn... I kind of understand why they would do it differently from park to park, but overall I would prefer if the kept the names the same or similar across the franchise.

Oh well, that is a super minor complain, I guess I'm just curious about the opinions of others on this.

Enthusiasts are likely to agree with you as homogeneous names for homogeneous makes it easier compartmentalize what you have ridden/not ridden and discuss the new rides.

The vast majority of park guests (who only visit their home park) won't know, therefore they won't care.

Enthusiasts are likely to agree with you as homogeneous names for homogeneous makes it easier compartmentalize what you have ridden/not ridden and discuss the new rides.

The vast majority of park guests (who only visit their home park) won't know, therefore they won't care.

That is actually a really good point. I don't make it most of those parks, so I just look at them all as a whole and if I was to say Harley Quinn it could be 3 very different rides this year.

You are however right I should be thinking about the ride name more from a GP standpoint and I'm sure most of them won't care/know at all.

I really hope the Giant Discovery purchases are far from over. I LOVE pendulum rides and would love to have them all over the place. I assume they'll go to literally every Six Flags park EXCEPT SFA, SFStl, and TGE

*^I don't know what your have park is, but with Six Flags Great Adventure a lot of the GP call it Six Flags. Whenever I mention amusement parks to my students (11-14 year olds) or fellow teachers they always refer to it as Six Flags

Granted older folk call it just Great Adventure.

I really hope the Giant Discovery purchases are far from over. I LOVE pendulum rides and would love to have them all over the place. I assume they'll go to literally every Six Flags park EXCEPT SFA, SFStl, and TGE

I would almost guarantee one for SFStL in the next 3 years and I'd be 90% certain that one ends up at SFA also. I agree about TGE as it is is a different type of park

Edited by larrygator

^I don't know what your have park is, but with Six Flags Great Adventure a lot of the GP call it Six Flags. Whenever I mention amusement parks to my students (11-14 year olds) or fellow teachers they always refer to it as Six Flags

Same. The majority of (non-enthusiast) people I mention I'm going to other SF Parks have no idea there are other SF parks elsewhere. When I say Six Flags they automatically think I'm only referring to Great Adventure. A common question is "are they all the same rides at other SF parks as they have @ Great Adv?"

^I don't know what your have park is, but with Six Flags Great Adventure a lot of the GP call it Six Flags. Whenever I mention amusement parks to my students (11-14 year olds) or fellow teachers they always refer to it as Six Flags

Not really close to any of the Six Flags parks anymore used to be right between two (Six Flags Worlds of Adventure and Six Darien Lake). Most of the time now I'm just a casual observer of what's going on at the Six Flags parks and what rides they're getting because I haven't been to one since they sold Geagua Lake.

*I would almost guarantee one for SFStL in the next 3 years and I'd be 90% certain that one ends up at SFA also. I agree about TGE as it is is a different type of park

I certainly hope your 90% certainty is correct! You may be right to as I used to think SFA would never get a FunTime Star Flyer and now they have one.

I think that the announcements all look pretty awesome to me.

Nice variety and I think that every park needs a giant frisbee ride...the one at SFMM sounds pretty crazy with a 172 foot swing height - that thing is going to be a monster!

Ok, likely a dumb question here... In the fine print for the season pass, it lists some of the perks. Then it says "to receive these benefits, you must pick up your pass and register online by xx-xx-2017." I'm assuming that's just to receive the listed benefits and not when the pass must be redeemed, correct?

I wonder if Viper at Great America will be converted. It's practically the same ride as Georgia Cyclone.

I doubt it since Great America already has Goliath

RMC Viper would be steel tho...Goliath is wood...and would still be completely different rides.

Could happen one day...maybe not. Something to think about.

Ok, likely a dumb question here... In the fine print for the season pass, it lists some of the perks. Then it says "to receive these benefits, you must pick up your pass and register online by xx-xx-2017." I'm assuming that's just to receive the listed benefits and not when the pass must be redeemed, correct?

The pass sale going on right now includes a free upgrade to Gold, which means free parking and free admission to the water parks that are separate gates. I think you also get a free bring a friend ticket and a one ride skip the line pass too. In order to get these free upgrades, you have to go to the park in person before 10/31/17 and pick up your pass. If you don't, it sounds like you will just have a regular season pass without the added benefits.

Apparently, according to the animations, all of the new for 2018 attractions are going to operate during severe lightning storms.

Glad to see Six Flags improving their weather policies.

That made me laugh, too! Kinda quirky animation.

Alice

^^^ Just as a side note we have purchased season passes two times, and a friend has purchased a season pass, all at various parks, different years, and even though we didn't process by the date posted to get gold upgrade, the gold upgrade was always on our passes. Your milage may vary! -- note that even the regular pass is good at all six flags parks, but aren't supposed to include parking. I think they just use the date as a scare tactic to get you in the door ASAP but I have seen many others say the same thing about the gold upgrade.

I wonder if Viper at Great America will be converted. It's practically the same ride as Georgia Cyclone.

Um, no, because Viper is one of the better wood coasters. It runs a lot better then Georgia's did.

Glad to see flat rides being invested in. I highly agree with the giant Frisbee at SFMM but doesn't SFNE already have a Frisbee type ride? Also glad to see ABC Ride's Tourbillon coming to North America.

The WTF addition is SFGAm's Super Loop. The Skywarp should have went there instead. SFGAm's crazy sized crowds will make this a nightmare to wait for.

Same. The majority of (non-enthusiast) people I mention I'm going to other SF Parks have no idea there are other SF parks elsewhere. When I say Six Flags they automatically think I'm only referring to Great Adventure. A common question is "are they all the same rides at other SF parks as they have @ Great Adv?"

I wish we had El Toro and Nitro in St. Louis! But yeah, same here. The only time I specify Six Flags St. Louis is on this board or when I'm traveling. Otherwise we all call it just Six Flags, and everyone knows what you're taking about.

Back in 2004 I was visiting a friend in San Antonio who had BAFF passes and wanted to take me to Fiesta Texas. My initial thought back then was "We have one of those in Missouri, why don't we do something we can't do at home?" He assured me Fiesta Texas was different from SFStL, and of course was right. That was when I realized that going to a theme park outside your local area is a thing that you can do.