TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I believe the name is intended to be storm themed (i.e. Hurricane Force Five) and they are waiting to release the name due to the current situation in Texas.

Whats funny is that if you look at what ride King Chaos replaced (an Intamin looping starship) This is basically going back to that same ride, considering ride experience and ride motion.

Edited by G$ Kurt

Wait we're actually considering these credits?

It's 10 stories tall, so it counts as 10 credits.

It's actually 2 credits... One forward, one backward....

Forty-eight. One forward, one backward, multiplied by twenty-four seats.

I believe the name is intended to be storm themed (i.e. Hurricane Force Five) and they are waiting to release the name due to the current situation in Texas.

Whats funny is that if you look at what ride King Chaos replaced (an Intamin looping starship) This is basically going back to that same ride, considering ride experience and ride motion.

That makes sense...do you think Twisted Cyclone would fall under that banner too, though?

EDIT: Apparently the park was teasing the ride with the hashtag #ChaseTheStorm2018. So it sounds like this is a placeholder name after all...

Hey whatdoyaknow!? It's page 1138... "we are 138..." THX, etc.

It's funny they're calling this a coaster; I know, it's nothing new. When I was at the park last week I could have swore I saw one of those huge spring-y signs that said "cleanest theme park in the WORLD!" They have upgraded from "cleanest theme park in the country."

Hey, this new loop will make the kids happy, right!? In this spot once sat The Edge (then Power Dive and King Chaos).

(edit - damn!!! I missed page 138 by 1! rats!)

King Chaos is a Top Spin in the Mardi Gras section of the park. It's to the left of the entrance, near the front.

Oh ok! Thank you! So from looking at google maps, it will be right across from the Big Easy Balloons?

King Chaos is a Top Spin in the Mardi Gras section of the park. It's to the left of the entrance, near the front.

Oh ok! Thank you! So from looking at google maps, it will be right across from the Big Easy Balloons?

Yea, across from them and in front of Johnny Rockets. It'll be on your right as you walk the main path back towards Joker.

I have yet to go to Great America and witness low crowds no matter the day of the week. I've had friends that have lucked out a few days this summer, but unfortunately I haven't.

The best time to go is early in the season before many schools gets out, that or on weekday evenings during the summer when there was rain forecast during the day, whether it actually rained or not isn't as important as what the forecast said would happen as that keeps many of the people home...

I live about 15 minutes away and I have always found it best to go at the above times, if you want to avoid crowds, you can get more rides in with only 3-4 hours on a slow day then spending all day there on a crowded day, so it has always worked out for me, especially now that I have young children that tire out after about 3-4 hours and have little patience to stand in line...

And I'll let you in on a little secret I used this year... Download the Six Flags app (if nothing else it's convenient to have all your family passes in one place) and if your phone allows it (easy on Android) download a GPS spoofing app, I use 'Fake GPS' by Lexa Apps... Fire up the GPS spoofing app and have it spoof that you are actually standing inside the park, then run the Six Flags app, you can now check their live ride wait times and get a real time estimate of how busy it is that day before you head out...

We visited the park for the first time yesterday and I have to say, despite some of the negativity surrounding the place we were blown away. I'll have a full trip report on the way but I wanted to give a few quick thoughts while I'm still on a Six Flags Great America high.

- The park is really pretty, staff was great across the board and this didn't feel like a Six Flags park AT ALL.

- Raging Bull was the sleeper hit of the day. We know from Apollo's Chariot that a pre drop on a B&M hyper means back row or bust so you can fly all the way down the first drop and this thing did not disappoint. I had been hearing for years that this was a sup-bar B&M hyper, that the trim brake ruins the ride and that it's really disappointing but yesterday we were treated to 2 awesome rides with a sh*t ton of airtime. Brit thinks it's the best B&M hyper she's ever ridden, it's probably up there for me too. I'm so glad I don't listen to enthusiasts ever. Am I really the only one that loves this thing?

- Goliath is amazing, believe the hype! That stall is one of the coolest elements on any coaster ever, the dive loop through the supports is also.

- I f*cking love Whizzer so much.

- I prefer their Batman and Superman to ours (at Great Adventure). I love the fact that they actually interact with the landscaping a little bit. I know Superman was built for Georgia but with the placement of some of the trees you would think it was built for Great America.

- Honestly I enjoyed every coaster in the park except for Viper. Maybe it's good normally, but Viper backwards is an absolute sh*t show of a coaster. What a dumpster fire

- We had an amazing day. It rained for a little bit at the end of the day but the rides opened quickly after. I spent the heaviest part of the rain storm on the Log Flume (not deliberately). Brit sat that out because she's not a f*cking idiot like I am. We ended our night with back to back rides on X Flight at park close (because Brit loves her some wing coasters). It was a great way to end a great day.

We visited the park for the first time yesterday and I have to say, despite some of the negativity surrounding the place we were blown away.The park is really pretty, staff was great across the board and this didn't feel like a Six Flags park AT ALL.

Completely agree. Went labor day weekend last year for the first and only time, and it didn't feel like a Six Flags park. Though overall I feel like SF had been doing a much better job from the SF that had always stuck in my mind, as of lately.

I'm so glad I don't listen to enthusiasts ever. Am I really the only one that loves this thing? [emoji38]

I loved it too. It's very unique.

Goliath is amazing, believe the hype! That stall is one of the coolest elements on any coaster ever, the dive loop through the supports is also.

I feel like the stall is the only thing missing from rides like Steel Vengeance and other RMCs to make them the best thing ever. Goliath is my fiance's favorite coaster she has ever been on, probably because of those two elements and the lack of ejector small bunny hops that other RMCs have that can be quite uncomfortable for us.. While it's short, it's so perfect from start to finish. I'm looking forward to Twisted Colossus due to the stall on that ride. While obviously not as large, I love that element so much. Having a train below it while dueling sounds amazing 8)

Honestly I enjoyed every coaster in the park except for Viper. Maybe it's good normally, but Viper backwards is an absolute sh*t show of a coaster. What a dumpster fire [emoji38]

Viper was the sleeper hit for me personally. I loved it. Then again it wasn't running backwards at the time... not sure how I would feel about that.

We loved the park so much we are going to hit it again on a Friday night in October despite it being an 8+ hour drive. We are making it a stop amongst a haunt road trip, but we are really looking forward to Goliath again. They have a really strong lineup overall that's never really talked about, I feel, despite the rides being cut short. I pretty much entirely agree with everything you've said. Glad you had a good time and looking forward to the full report, as always!

- Raging Bull was the sleeper hit of the day. We know from Apollo's Chariot that a pre drop on a B&M hyper means back row or bust so you can fly all the way down the first drop and this thing did not disappoint. I had been hearing for years that this was a sup-bar B&M hyper, that the trim brake ruins the ride and that it's really disappointing but yesterday we were treated to 2 awesome rides with a sh*t ton of airtime. Brit thinks it's the best B&M hyper she's ever ridden, it's probably up there for me too. I'm so glad I don't listen to enthusiasts ever. Am I really the only one that loves this thing?

- Goliath is amazing, believe the hype! That stall is one of the coolest elements on any coaster ever, the dive loop through the supports is also.

- I prefer their Batman and Superman to ours (at Great Adventure). I love the fact that they actually interact with the landscaping a little bit. I know Superman was built for Georgia but with the placement of some of the trees you would think it was built for Great America.

Until Goliath, Raging Bull was my favorite coaster in the park, even after X-Flight! I too, never understood the "hate" the ride got, because I've only gotten crazy awesome rides one it! Plenty of airtime, and it's just fun, fun, fun!

Goliath, while still 3 of 3 for the RMCs I have ridden, is in my Top 10 coasters, and is an awesome coaster in its own right! Yes, that stall is LIFE, and I only wish I had been able to ride it more the time I went there! Unfortunately, it IS one of the busiest SF parks, and lines for Goliath are bonkers most of the time. Definitely going to marathon that sucker for an ERT event one of these special days they advertise!

I feel like the S:UF's are the same both places, but I do prefer the original B:TR at SFGAm to the one at SFGAdv, if ever so slightly. Still, neither is a favorite B&M Invert for me. They're just not my cup of tea when it comes to an Invert experience. But I do prefer the one at SFGAm, however.

Glad you enjoyed your trip there, and yes, aside from the crazy crowds the park can get, it's really not a bad place at all!