La Ronde Discussion Thread

P. 108 - Carnaval en Folie Announced for 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: La Ronde Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:33 am

njcoasterguy34 wrote:I'm planning a visit to La Ronde

Why?

njcoasterguy34 wrote:Should I budget for a Flash Pass?

Probably. The park doesn't have to be crowded for them to turn station waits into hour long, hellish experiences with their miserable operations.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby njcoasterguy34 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 am

coasterbill wrote:
njcoasterguy34 wrote:I'm planning a visit to La Ronde

Why?

Because it exists and I've never been to it. One of the things on my bucket list is to ride every non-shuttle, non-kiddie coaster in North America.
Only one word describes Green Lantern: "OW!"

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Jobo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:35 pm

People overlooked it but Screamscape also is reporting today a rumor of La Ronde getting a superloop from their source. SF is adding a Raptor at SFFT,but they also may still be adding their clones like superloops, skyscreamers, etc..

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:01 pm

One big thing to watch out for with La Ronde is how long it takes to get in the park. It took me a half hour to navigate from the bridge to the island with the park and then 1.5 hours (yes you read that right) waiting in line to get in.

If the back entrance is open, I highly recommend that if the front one is a total madhouse.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby njcoasterguy34 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:20 am

My hotel is a couple blocks away from a Metro station, so I plan on taking the Metro to the island and using the shuttle from the Metro station to the entrance. I also plan on getting to the park before it opens.
Only one word describes Green Lantern: "OW!"

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby JT325 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:44 am

I hope you have a good time at La Ronde.

My only trip there was a couple years ago, and despite the place being a ... sad dump of a park (sorry, have to be honest), there were a few things that were AWESOME:

1 - Le Monstre. With the PTC trains (I assume it was sluggish with the Morgans, per the standard), this thing really is a monster. It's got that Bill Cobb kick-you-when-you-least-expect-it feel to it. Loved it. My favorite woodie in the SF chain.

2 - That silly little portable Vekmoma corkscrew. Man, does it look to be in bad shape. The single train was ripped apart and full of graffitti. It would have been at home at Coney Island around 1992. But the ride was surprisingly good! Maybe my 2 rides were a fluke. It was no pleasure trip, but still enjoyable. I attribute the strange feel of it to all the movable points in the structure; it's not welded together like the standard Arrow/Vekoma, so much of the shock and vibration was absorbed before it came through the seat. Don't get me wrong, there is a still a running vibration due to the old wheels and chipped paint, but the micro-accelerations that usually hurt are mostly gone. Subtle stuff, but think about it.

3 - The mini-monorail. A great view of the park. Made me think how much potential the park has. I dream Cedar Fair would buy this place one day (along with Magic Mountain and a few other SF parks).

4 - The condor ride. Holy cow, is this running on a German fair program? It was fast as hell. I've never experienced a condor that fast, so it really took me by surprise.

They have a dilapidated old sky tower. It was orange, and a trainwreck. Hot inside, just a mess. Such a shame. So many great rides, a great location, and a reasonably great set-up. So much potential! I thought there should be a walkway connecting the area from Dragon to the other side of the park. Oh well, do your best!
#CPFrontierLift2019

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:45 am

I'm only going to say this once...

Tomorrow is "Six Flags Announcements" day. We will be posting the announcement as soon as the materials are available to us.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY LINKS OR IMAGES TO THE ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE TPR DOES!

Anyone who does this will be banned forever from Theme Park Review.

Let me explain...

Posting the new ride information before we can do it actually creates MORE WORK for us as most of the time people who come on our forum and post info about a new ride will do a crappy job of it and then we have to not only do the work we are going to do to make a proper post about the new ride, but also clean up the garbage posts that people make.

No one here will get any extra points or look any "cooler" for being "first" to post the information. We aren't about being first we are about having good quality content. Please respect that. Thank you.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 am

JT325 wrote:I hope you have a good time at La Ronde.

My only trip there was a couple years ago, and despite the place being a ... sad dump of a park (sorry, have to be honest), there were a few things that were AWESOME:

1 - Le Monstre. With the PTC trains (I assume it was sluggish with the Morgans, per the standard), this thing really is a monster. It's got that Bill Cobb kick-you-when-you-least-expect-it feel to it. Loved it. My favorite woodie in the SF chain.

2 - That silly little portable Vekmoma corkscrew. Man, does it look to be in bad shape. The single train was ripped apart and full of graffitti. It would have been at home at Coney Island around 1992. But the ride was surprisingly good! Maybe my 2 rides were a fluke. It was no pleasure trip, but still enjoyable. I attribute the strange feel of it to all the movable points in the structure; it's not welded together like the standard Arrow/Vekoma, so much of the shock and vibration was absorbed before it came through the seat. Don't get me wrong, there is a still a running vibration due to the old wheels and chipped paint, but the micro-accelerations that usually hurt are mostly gone. Subtle stuff, but think about it.

3 - The mini-monorail. A great view of the park. Made me think how much potential the park has. I dream Cedar Fair would buy this place one day (along with Magic Mountain and a few other SF parks).

4 - The condor ride. Holy cow, is this running on a German fair program? It was fast as hell. I've never experienced a condor that fast, so it really took me by surprise.

They have a dilapidated old sky tower. It was orange, and a trainwreck. Hot inside, just a mess. Such a shame. So many great rides, a great location, and a reasonably great set-up. So much potential! I thought there should be a walkway connecting the area from Dragon to the other side of the park. Oh well, do your best!

I was expecting the worst on that Vekoma corkscrew, but Super Manege was actually a lot of fun. The drops had good air and the corkscrews weren't rough at all for me.

As for Le Monster, I remember one side being decent when I rode in the front, but my ride in the back row on the other side was pretty bad. That ride is just screaming for a RMC makeover despite how it won the chain's Tournament of Thrills a few years back.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby JT325 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 am

If anyone is interested in "old" La Ronde stuff like promotional pictures, postcards and brochures, I have an auction up on eBay. Not too surprisingly, there is only 1 person "watching" the auction on my end. La Ronde was such a nice park at one time! So much potential there. These great pictures of Super Menage and Le Monstre were sent to me by the park in the 80s. Back when you had to hand write a letter to a park and kindly request information. They sent out really cool stuff like promo folders stuffed with STUFF! Back before the internet and all this awesome instant stuff we have now.

LA RONDE EBAY AUCTION

IMG_6804.JPG

Also, anyone remember the 80s movie "Breaking all the rules"? That was the first time I saw a (*gasp!*) Vekoma Boomerang. I thought it was so cool, almost unreal! Remember, this was like 1985... no internet and all that. Who'da thunk the Vekoma Boomerang would one day be considered a lame cookie-cutter ride? I'd be suprised if there are more than 2 of us on here who have seen this movie. It's sorta sentimental for me... strange! Really bad 80s stuff, but the views of the park are great! I wish it would be released on blu-ray, cleaned up of course. This clip reminds me how much I LOVE Schwarzkopf Wildcats!

#CPFrontierLift2019

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 am

La Ronde, in Montreal, is celebrating all things family with Carnaval en Folie—a new carnival-themed family zone, complete with three, fun new rides sure to delight the young and young at heart. Guests will be fully immersed in an atmosphere inspired by fairs and carnivals of yesteryear featuring rich, vibrant colors and festive music and lighting. Torsade is a spinning tilt-a-whirl where parents can ride with their children; Petit Roue is a fun-size Ferris wheel that offers the best view of the Carnaval; and Tourbillon is the perfect ride for thrill seekers in training.
la ronde.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 10.03.44.png
Turns out, this is "Tourbillion"
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:05 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!