TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde Discussion Thread

I hope you have a good time at La Ronde.

My only trip there was a couple years ago, and despite the place being a ... sad dump of a park (sorry, have to be honest), there were a few things that were AWESOME:

1 - Le Monstre. With the PTC trains (I assume it was sluggish with the Morgans, per the standard), this thing really is a monster. It's got that Bill Cobb kick-you-when-you-least-expect-it feel to it. Loved it. My favorite woodie in the SF chain.

2 - That silly little portable Vekmoma corkscrew. Man, does it look to be in bad shape. The single train was ripped apart and full of graffitti. It would have been at home at Coney Island around 1992. But the ride was surprisingly good! Maybe my 2 rides were a fluke. It was no pleasure trip, but still enjoyable. I attribute the strange feel of it to all the movable points in the structure; it's not welded together like the standard Arrow/Vekoma, so much of the shock and vibration was absorbed before it came through the seat. Don't get me wrong, there is a still a running vibration due to the old wheels and chipped paint, but the micro-accelerations that usually hurt are mostly gone. Subtle stuff, but think about it.

3 - The mini-monorail. A great view of the park. Made me think how much potential the park has. I dream Cedar Fair would buy this place one day (along with Magic Mountain and a few other SF parks).

4 - The condor ride. Holy cow, is this running on a German fair program? It was fast as hell. I've never experienced a condor that fast, so it really took me by surprise.

They have a dilapidated old sky tower. It was orange, and a trainwreck. Hot inside, just a mess. Such a shame. So many great rides, a great location, and a reasonably great set-up. So much potential! I thought there should be a walkway connecting the area from Dragon to the other side of the park. Oh well, do your best!

I was expecting the worst on that Vekoma corkscrew, but Super Manege was actually a lot of fun. The drops had good air and the corkscrews weren't rough at all for me.

As for Le Monster, I remember one side being decent when I rode in the front, but my ride in the back row on the other side was pretty bad. That ride is just screaming for a RMC makeover despite how it won the chain's Tournament of Thrills a few years back.

If anyone is interested in "old" La Ronde stuff like promotional pictures, postcards and brochures, I have an auction up on eBay. Not too surprisingly, there is only 1 person "watching" the auction on my end. La Ronde was such a nice park at one time! So much potential there. These great pictures of Super Menage and Le Monstre were sent to me by the park in the 80s. Back when you had to hand write a letter to a park and kindly request information. They sent out really cool stuff like promo folders stuffed with STUFF! Back before the internet and all this awesome instant stuff we have now.

LA RONDE EBAY AUCTION

IMG_6804.JPG.1efcb0c954c88da24bd3794409691030.JPG

Also, anyone remember the 80s movie "Breaking all the rules"? That was the first time I saw a (*gasp!*) Vekoma Boomerang. I thought it was so cool, almost unreal! Remember, this was like 1985... no internet and all that. Who'da thunk the Vekoma Boomerang would one day be considered a lame cookie-cutter ride? I'd be suprised if there are more than 2 of us on here who have seen this movie. It's sorta sentimental for me... strange! Really bad 80s stuff, but the views of the park are great! I wish it would be released on blu-ray, cleaned up of course. This clip reminds me how much I LOVE Schwarzkopf Wildcats!

La Ronde, in Montreal, is celebrating all things family with Carnaval en Folie—a new carnival-themed family zone, complete with three, fun new rides sure to delight the young and young at heart. Guests will be fully immersed in an atmosphere inspired by fairs and carnivals of yesteryear featuring rich, vibrant colors and festive music and lighting. Torsade is a spinning tilt-a-whirl where parents can ride with their children; Petit Roue is a fun-size Ferris wheel that offers the best view of the Carnaval; and Tourbillon is the perfect ride for thrill seekers in training.

335488770_laronde.thumb.jpg.8a3773711ebc0fb486f490697eb34c95.jpg

1289813996_ScreenShot2017-08-31at10_03_44.thumb.png.c81c989ee3a93ef7baf7817cc34350cb.png

Turns out, this is "Tourbillion"

Edited by robbalvey

Is the park still keeping their other Ferris Wheel as well with this addition?

La Ronde already had a pretty good flat ride collection, so this will just add to it. I would have thought they may look to add a new coaster with Cobra being removed.

Their 2018 page is still bringing up a "page not found" error:

https://www.laronde.com/fr/larondefr/attractions/new-for-2018

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 07.16.16.png[/attachment]

As soon as they update it hopefully we'll get more info.

Try this link (I think it's what you are looking for):

https://www.sixflags.com/larondeen/attractions/newfor2018

This page shows "Tourbillon" as a standard scrambler.

Their 2018 page is still bringing up a "page not found" error:

https://www.laronde.com/fr/larondefr/attractions/new-for-2018

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 07.16.16.png[/attachment]

As soon as they update it hopefully we'll get more info.

Try this link (I think it's what you are looking for):

https://www.sixflags.com/larondeen/attractions/newfor2018

This page shows "Tourbillon" as a standard scrambler.

Yep. Would have been nice if the link worked from the national page to have this information earlier...

That's weird they'd call a scrambler Tourbillion after they add 2 tourbillion rides to other parks. Glad the page finally went up so we could get some clarity on what they're adding at least.

I don't know if it's that weird really, it's not like anyone else besides us realises that the other rides had the model name tourbillon, and besides, tourbillon just means whirlwind in french which is a pretty fitting and basic name for a scrambler.

That's weird they'd call a scrambler Tourbillion after they add 2 tourbillion rides to other parks. Glad the page finally went up so we could get some clarity on what they're adding at least.

I don't know if it's that weird really, it's not like anyone else besides us realises that the other rides had the model name tourbillon, and besides, tourbillon just means whirlwind in french which is a pretty fitting and basic name for a scrambler.

I agree that giving a copied-and-pasted name to a scrambler at La Ronde won't be a big deal for most of La Ronde's visitors, especially as this is a family ride and kids won't care.

On another note, I'm pleasantly surprised by these new additions, as according to Screamscape (not always reliable I know) I was expecting we'd get a Superloop, which would be a let-down as Vertigo is basically a trackless Superloop. I love both tilt-a-whirls and scramblers, so the fact we get these two awesome new rides and La Ronde tries to improve its (mostly) poor aesthetics by creating yet another themed area can't be bad news.

I'm curious to see where they will install this, b/c apart from the old Cobra spot I'm unsure where there would be enough space to install a new themed area.

I agree that giving a copied-and-pasted name to a scrambler at La Ronde won't be a big deal for most of La Ronde's visitors, especially as this is a family ride and kids won't care.

On another note, I'm pleasantly surprised by these new additions, as according to Screamscape (not always reliable I know) I was expecting we'd get a Superloop, which would be a let-down as Vertigo is basically a trackless Superloop. I love both tilt-a-whirls and scramblers, so the fact we get these two awesome new rides and La Ronde tries to improve its (mostly) poor aesthetics by creating yet another themed area can't be bad news.

I'm curious to see where they will install this, b/c apart from the old Cobra spot I'm unsure where there would be enough space to install a new themed area.

New themed area doesn't always means new land lot... I'm sure they will be retheming the section where the discoronde, vertigo and Vol Ultime is. Just like they did with Avenue Aventure last year ...Otherwise could easily be the section in between the Monstre and Goliath, where Maison Rouge and former food court is SBNO. In any cases it won't ENOUGH to call the masses into the park next year. Alot of people are still not digesting the sudden closure of the Log flume ride And Cobra at once.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^I don't know if the tilt-a-whirl will be new, but the Moser mini drop tower and the Ferris Wheel both come from the Méga Parc in the Galerie de la Capitale shopping mall in Québec city, which is undergoing extensive renovations and changing all of its rides.

Also interesting to note, at the bottom of the second picture under the grey canvas, are the old teacups which used to be where Ednör (SLC) now sits. Even though they were removed 8 years ago, La Ronde still has all the parts to rebuild it if they wished (the rest of the ride's structure is behind Le Monstre in the employee's parking lot).

^I don't know if the tilt-a-whirl will be new, but the Moser mini drop tower and the Ferris Wheel both come from the Méga Parc in the Galerie de la Capitale shopping mall in Québec city, which is undergoing extensive renovations and changing all of its rides.

Also interesting to note, at the bottom of the second picture under the grey canvas, are the old teacups which used to be where Ednör (SLC) now sits. Even though they were removed 8 years ago, La Ronde still has all the parts to rebuild it if they wished (the rest of the ride's structure is behind Le Monstre in the employee's parking lot).

Aren't they also getting a Scrambler?

And thanks for the information!

And I would love to see them add the teacups back in. Teacups are wonderful family rides and I always ride them if they are at a park. If they aren't going to put them back in, then I wish they would send them to another Six Flags parks. I'd love to see them at the Great Escape, Six Flags St. Louis, or Six Flags Magic Mountain.

^They were indeed supposed to get a scrambler, but they changed their mind and bought the old Mega Parc's Moser drop ride instead. Much like they did in 2016, when we should've got a funky spinning ride but they instead opted to relocate SFSTL's Rush Street Flyer.

I also wish they'd reinstall the teacups someday, they still have all the ride parts on site so it baffles me that they'd rather leave it to rot in the parking lot instead of having another ride for families to enjoy.

^They were indeed supposed to get a scrambler, but they changed their mind and bought the old Mega Parc's Moser drop ride instead. Much like they did in 2016, when we should've got a funky spinning ride but they instead opted to relocate SFSTL's Rush Street Flyer.

I also wish they'd reinstall the teacups someday, they still have all the ride parts on site so it baffles me that they'd rather leave it to rot in the parking lot instead of having another ride for families to enjoy.

At least they left it to rot / rust in the parking lot and not in the middle of the park like basically everything else at La Ronde.

Thanks for the information! I'm surprised they gave up a scrambler for a mini drop tower. I'm sure more people would enjoy a scrambler. Any idea on what they are going to call it? Their whole 2018 addition seems weird, the weirdest part being that they are getting a second ferris wheel. I wonder if this means that their other ferris wheel's days are are numbered. Where in the park are these three new rides going again?

And yeah. I'm surprised that they haven't scrapped it or something. And families would enjoy if they had it still. Heck, everybody would enjoy it. I love big thrills and I ALWAYS ride teacups if a park has some.

^I haven't heard about a name for the new drop tower, neither about where these new additions would go in the park, unfortunately. If I had to guess, I think they will either go in the area of Le Vampire/Titan/Vertigo, or where La Maison Rouge used to sit (near Goliath).

However the current Ferris Wheel isn't going anywhere, the "new" one is a lot smaller (The current one is about 40m tall, and I'm not sure for the new one but I'd say 10-20m. max because it used to be in a shopping mall, so the height of the ceiling was limited).

Also...

At least they left it to rot / rust in the parking lot and not in the middle of the park like basically everything else at La Ronde.

Really can't argue with that

Yeah..... La Ronde isn't really the kind of park that cleans up after their self. That seems so weird to me that they'd have two ferris wheels, though at least this one will have lights on it. And I hope that it is where that haunted house used to be. That haunted house really did just seem like a cheap filler addition to say that they got something. I even wish that they would tear out Cobra and put these new rides in its place, I just hate seeing that rotting coaster there. Thought I really wish that they'd put like a Premier sky rocket model in its place or even a free spin!