TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

I wonder what led Six Flags Man to leave so quickly, a year and a half is a very short tenure. On a more positive note, also looking forward to more amazing Jim-Reid video awesomeness

Once upon a time my friends and I found website that listed the booking costs of all major bands. We had a ton of fun playing what if. Cot's contracts spreadsheets baseball contracts and salaries. Is there a place to find what rides cost and what parks have spent yearly?

Not really. I think in general the people who are making those calls don't want actual numbers out there. Especially manufacturers. Would you want to let customers know what other people have paid?

Once upon a time my friends and I found website that listed the booking costs of all major bands. We had a ton of fun playing what if. Cot's contracts spreadsheets baseball contracts and salaries. Is there a place to find what rides cost and what parks have spent yearly?

Annual reports will tell what is spending on Capital Expenditures overall. For SF it's easy to know the ride budget, it's 9% of revenue and then take 60% of that 9%. Cap Exp was 124M and ride budget was just under 75M last year. Cedar Fair Cap Exp was 161M, what part was spent on rides is not really known. You have to take each additions costs and make a guess estimation. There are some places, articles, etc where parks have announced the cost of rides. The cost of some Zamperla rides were revealed when they filed the lawsuit against knock off manufactures trying to pass things off as Zamperla in Asia. The costs were in the filings to get damage awards.

I have a couple things... they may have been brought up before and I apologize for that. I searched and could not find anything.

1. I have a season pass for Six Flags that I get processed at Six Flags America every year. This park has a water park that is included which is awesome. My question is how come Six Flags does not come up with a season pass add on that I can add on so I can go to the water parks that are not attached to their parks? I go to Six Flags Great Adventure quite a bit and have never been to their water park because its not included with my pass. About 3 weeks ago I went to Six Flags Over Texas and they are another park with a unattached water park. It looks like a nice water park. However, we went have spent money to get in, parking, and good. Which would have been well over $100. We opted for NRH2O which was actually a really nice water park - it has free parking and only cost $25 to get in.

2. I am all about amusement/theme parks recognizing people with disabilities and such. I go to Six Flags America quite a bit but I have noticed it at every park I have been to - Six Flags Great Adventure, Great Escape, Six Flags New England, Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags Magic Mountain and La Ronde. I am confused on the ADA policies. I see people come up the exit, hand one of the employees a piece of paper, employees makes a note on it, and they are allowed to ride. This process does not bother me. Its that they then can bring their ENTIRE group on the ride. I have seen some of these people bring 5-6 people with them. I feel they should be able to bring one other person that is all. Especially the ones that are able to walk by themselves.

When I look up Six Flags policy all it states is all you need is a doctor's note stating you can not wait in lines. You do not to present needing to not wait in lines physically.

Blurb from their website:

Six Flags offers an Attraction Accessibility Pass for guests with disabilities qualifying as handicap within the meaning of Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms, CQLR, c. C-12 who might not otherwise be able to enjoy rides in our parks. Beginning May 21, 2016 due to growing abuse by others, guests who are unable to wait in ride lines due to a mobility-related disability or other disability (visible or not) will need to provide a doctor’s note and photo ID to receive an Attraction Accessibility Pass. Any guest requesting use of one of these special passes will need to provide a doctor’s note at Guest Services at the time they pick up the pass.

I guess I am just still confused on if you can physically walk around a park all day and walk up the exits why do you need your entire group to enter through the exit? It should just be you and your companion who actually can get into the park free per their website?

2. I am all about amusement/theme parks recognizing people with disabilities and such. I go to Six Flags America quite a bit but I have noticed it at every park I have been to - Six Flags Great Adventure, Great Escape, Six Flags New England, Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags Magic Mountain and La Ronde. I am confused on the ADA policies. I see people come up the exit, hand one of the employees a piece of paper, employees makes a note on it, and they are allowed to ride. This process does not bother me. Its that they then can bring their ENTIRE group on the ride. I have seen some of these people bring 5-6 people with them. I feel they should be able to bring one other person that is all. Especially the ones that are able to walk by themselves.

I can explain this one for you. So that ADA pass actually has a wait time on it and most people with that pass are required to wait however long the line is. So if the regular line is 60 minutes, the person with that pass and their group are required to wait 60 minutes just like everyone else, just not in line. That person will go to the front entrance of the ride or find a ride attendant for the ride they want to wait for, and then request a wait time and a board time. They are not allowed on the ride until this time is up. Additionally they are only allowed to wait for one ride at a time. There are a few ADA passes that don't require a person to wait at all but I believe this depends on the medical reason. Now each pass only allows for the person using it and three additional people to go with them. If more than 4 people hop on the ride with one pass, then that's on the ride attendant who allowed it to happen. But a lot of times, people with large groups are given more than one pass to account for the size of the group. Now while it may feel like this large group is cutting the line, they've really been waiting for the ride the entire time. They were just not physically in the q-line with everyone else.

I wonder what led Six Flags Man to leave so quickly, a year and a half is a very short tenure. On a more positive note, also looking forward to more amazing Jim-Reid video awesomeness

Duffy might be the preemptive sacrificial lamb for the 1st below par earnings report in a long time. Him leaving so close to the July 26th Q2 earnings report raises some suspicion. They might have a miss on Q2 earnings. Duffy wasn't there long enough to have a positive or negative impact really. But, there are some anecdotal reports of a lot of parks reporting shorter lines than usual for the busy season thus far. There could be some evidence of this b/c SF keeps adding bonus bring a friend free days. This might be to prop up attendance b/c they are missing their projections.

I can explain this one for you. So that ADA pass actually has a wait time on it and most people with that pass are required to wait however long the line is. So if the regular line is 60 minutes, the person with that pass and their group are required to wait 60 minutes just like everyone else, just not in line. That person will go to the front entrance of the ride or find a ride attendant for the ride they want to wait for, and then request a wait time and a board time. They are not allowed on the ride until this time is up. Additionally they are only allowed to wait for one ride at a time. There are a few ADA passes that don't require a person to wait at all but I believe this depends on the medical reason. Now each pass only allows for the person using it and three additional people to go with them. If more than 4 people hop on the ride with one pass, then that's on the ride attendant who allowed it to happen. But a lot of times, people with large groups are given more than one pass to account for the size of the group. Now while it may feel like this large group is cutting the line, they've really been waiting for the ride the entire time. They were just not physically in the q-line with everyone else.

This makes sense - thank you so much!

"Project 600 is no longer possible..."

Well, there's your answer as to why the executive management of the company changed.

Despite the press release headline of record revenue, the actual numbers were not good on analysis.

Don't know if anybody saw this but it sounds like there will be no Justice Leagues in 2018. Interview with Sally Corp CEO by Coaster101

Coaster101: Are you able to tell me if there are any more Justice League rides coming for Six Flags, or any other projects for Sally coming up?

John Wood - CEO Sally Corp: I think that Six Flags is going to pause. I’m hoping it’s just a pause, but after three good hard years of rolling these out I think they’re going to step back and see how the results are. But, we’re very hopeful that there’s more in the future.

That frees up money as JL's were the most expensive ride SF bought in 2017. 3 JL's in 2017 at 10-12M each, total coast 30-36M. What will SF buy? This could mean potentially some coasters besides 4D's. Instead of 30M+ on JL's like 2017, they could buy 2 coasters at 15M or 3 around 10M They could also buy a boat load of flats.

Hey that makes sense, since there not spending so much on JL, that may explain the 5 record breakers or first of its kind in North america... They they have much more money to spend on those 5 rides/coasters ..... can't wait see what they will be.

• 5 weeks later...
Does anybody else think that Six Flags could've bought Kanonen. It would be within their budget considering Liseberg only paid 6 mil for it when it was brand new.

Of course they could have, if they wanted to. Why do you continue to ask really DUMB questions?

Does anybody else think that Six Flags could've bought Kanonen. It would be within their budget considering Liseberg only paid 6 mil for it when it was brand new.

Of course they could have, if they wanted to. Why do you continue to ask really DUMB questions?

Let's play along, Would fit in the former Cobra spot at La Ronde

Robb posted this in all Six Flags park discussion threads, but as a reminder I'm putting it here also.

I'm only going to say this once...

Tomorrow is "Six Flags Announcements" day. We will be posting the announcement as soon as the materials are available to us.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY LINKS OR IMAGES TO THE ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE TPR DOES!

Anyone who does this will be banned forever from Theme Park Review.

Let me explain...

Posting the new ride information before we can do it actually creates MORE WORK for us as most of the time people who come on our forum and post info about a new ride will do a crappy job of it and then we have to not only do the work we are going to do to make a proper post about the new ride, but also clean up the garbage posts that people make.

No one here will get any extra points or look any "cooler" for being "first" to post the information. We aren't about being first we are about having good quality content. Please respect that. Thank you.

2018NewCap_Map_Small.thumb.jpg.80a44519f8afdca099a08636e40dd5a3.jpg

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Six Flags Entertainment Company (NYSE:SIX), the world’s largest regional theme park company, today announced the most spectacular lineup of world-record breaking roller coasters, rides and first-of-its-kind attractions in its 56-year history, debuting at Six Flags parks from coast to coast for the 2018 season. Six Flags is recognized throughout the world as a leader in innovation—pioneering a long list of industry firsts, including the world’s first hybrid roller coaster and North America’s first virtual reality (VR) coasters. Nobody delivers thrills like Six Flags and next season the thrills are taller, faster and BIGGER than ever.

“This is our most impressive and ambitious new capital rollout ever. Many of the rides and attractions we are introducing next year are ‘world’s firsts’ and record breakers as we deliver fun-packed innovation at the highest level. Innovation is in our DNA and our guests expect and deserve one-of-a-kind experiences when they visit our parks,” said Six Flags Chairman, President and CEO Jim Reid-Anderson. “Our strategy of providing something new in every park, every year, continues to delight our guests and has resulted in attendance growing to over 30 million guests annually and record revenue and EBITDA in each of the last seven years."

Coming to Six Flags Fiesta Texas— the world’s first single rail coaster and first-ever WONDER WOMAN-themed roller coaster— WONDER WOMAN Golden Lasso Coaster. With a 90-degree drop, this technological marvel features a first-of-its-kind single I-beam rail with riders seated single file. The unique, innovative design gives riders an open-air, unobstructed view as they fly along the track at 50 miles-per-hour. WONDER WOMAN Golden Lasso Coaster will thrill riders with two airtime hills, a 180-degree stall, overbanked turns and an awe-inspiring zero-g roll.

At Six Flags Magic Mountain, “The Thrill Capital of the Planet,” prepare for CraZanity— the world’s tallest pendulum ride. At a record-breaking 17 stories in the air, this impressive giant disc will reach speeds of up to 75-miles-per-hour as it whips back and forth, higher and higher. As the pendulum swings from side to side, while rotating counterclockwise, guests will experience a feeling of weightlessness at 172 feet in the air. CraZanity will be the centerpiece of a newly-themed Boardwalk. The Los Angeles-based theme park recently announced it is entering the destination travel market by launching a 365-day operating calendar beginning January 1, 2018.

Coming to Six Flags Great Adventure, the first-of-its-kind in North America—and the first ride in the world themed after DC Super Hero CYBORG. Inspired by the movement of a gyroscope, CYBORG Cyber Spin features a unique futuristic triple box design that allows the gondola to spin around three separate axes while rotating forward, backwards and sideways up to 70 feet in the air. The floorless seats leave riders’ feet dangling as they whirl through the air.

Six Flags Over Georgia, The Thrill Capital of the South, is debuting an exciting new hybrid roller coaster—Twisted Cyclone. The technology—first introduced by Six Flags, combines the best of both worlds—a classic wooden structure with a modern, steel track for multiple inversions and a smoother, more thrilling ride experience. The all-new Twisted Cyclone features a steep 75-degree initial drop into a jaw-dropping reverse cobra roll, three upside down inversions and 10 airtime moments along 2,400 feet of twisted track.

The Thrill Capital of New England, Six Flags New England, is taking thrills to a whole new level with HARLEY QUINN Spinsanity. This extreme pendulum ride whirls guests back and forth, higher and higher at up to 70 miles-per-hour for a dizzying ride experience as bizarre and unpredictable as HARLEY QUINN herself. Guests will be enthralled by a feeling of weightlessness at 147 feet in the air, before plunging downward from 15 stories.

Six Flags Mexico is launching its first ever 4D Free Fly Coaster in 2018. This uniquely designed roller coaster will feature theming based on DC’s iconic Super Hero—WONDER WOMAN. On the new WONDER WOMAN Coaster, riders are lifted straight up a 12-story, 90-degree hill and then immediately flipped head-over-heels, backwards and forwards multiple times as they speed along the undulating vertically stacked track. The technologically advanced Free Fly design allows cars to be extended outward from the track as riders sit suspended in mid-air. Two beyond 90-degree raven drops give the sensation of heart-pounding free-falls from high above the ground.

Six Flags America, near Washington D.C., will debut Wahoo River—an all-new action-packed river adventure—in its Hurricane Harbor water park. Bigger, Better and Wetter, Wahoo River will be 33% wider and over 40% longer than Castaway Creek. The new attraction will include significant upgrades such as a zero depth entry that will make it convenient for guests of all ages to dip into the cool water with inflatable tubes. Friends and family members will have a blast as they float along the river, enjoying dozens of interactive features including wall sprayers, huge waterfalls, archways, tippy water cones and a new wave generator.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, The Thrill Capital of Northern California, will debut the thrilling, new HARLEY QUINN Crazy Coaster, the world’s first-of-its-kind inverted looping coaster featuring multiple inversions along a vertical, figure eight track. Riders will experience head-to-head flybys at combined speeds of 70 miles-per-hour as the two dueling trains race toward each other, culminating with a “High Five” moment giving the illusion that riders can actually reach out and “High Five” as they careen by.

Six Flags Great America—The Thrill Capital of The Midwest: Towering at a staggering 100 feet in the air, the world’s largest loop coaster is headed to Six Flags Great America—The Thrill Capital of The Midwest, in 2018. This world-record breaking attraction will take riders forward and backward on a gigantic loop before suspending them completely upside down for plenty of wicked hang-time. Thrill seekers will travel in unique “face-off” seating and go through a series of 360-degree revolutions before reeling downward in the opposite direction.

At Six Flags St. Louis, The Coaster Capital of Missouri, a massive new water attraction is headed to its Hurricane Harbor waterpark in 2018—Typhoon Twister. This hybrid, zero-gravity slide complex packs two extreme thrills into one incredible attraction. Typhoon Twister features four-person rafts that careen wildly into a 125-foot whirlpool bowl and spins riders around 360-degrees before sending them plummeting down an enclosed five-story drop. Riders will then be propelled up a 45-foot, zero-gravity wave wall to experience moments of weightlessness before shooting into the splash pool below.

Six Flags Over Texas, The Thrill Capital of Texas, is ramping up for the next generation in thrill rides and the first-of-its-kind in North America—HARLEY QUINN Spinsanity. Staying true to its namesake—this innovative attraction promises to deliver a new level of thrills with unpredictable, gravity-defying flips, twist and turns. Seated 24 across with over-the-shoulder harnesses, riders will experience a thrilling combination of negative and positive gravitational forces as they rotate forward, backwards and sideways up to 70 feet in the air.

The Great Escape: Complete Pandemonium is headed to The Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom. On this classic spinning attraction, riders will catch maximum air and experience 360-degrees of adrenaline-packed excitement. Pandemonium will seat 24 rides in a “face out” position as it lifts, spins and tilts at all angles. The ride quickly accelerates faster and faster, while whirling guests through seemingly endless rotations. An electrifying light package will dazzle onlookers and riders alike.

La Ronde in Montreal, is celebrating all things family with Carnaval en Folie—a new carnival-themed family zone, complete with three, fun new rides sure to delight the young and young at heart. Guests will be fully immersed in an atmosphere inspired by fairs and carnivals of yesteryear featuring rich, vibrant colors and festive music and lighting. Torsade is a spinning tilt-a-whirl where parents can ride with their children; Petit Roue is a fun-size Ferris wheel that offers the best view of the Carnaval; and Tourbillon is the perfect ride for thrill seekers in training.

Waterworld Concord, the newest member of the Six Flags family of parks, is excited to debut its biggest new attraction in over a decade with the introduction of Splashwater Island, an enormous new interactive water play area designed for the entire family. Splashwater Island features almost 8,000 square feet of thrilling water activities including nine open and enclosed slides, dozens of geysers, jets, and sprays along with a super-sized water bucket that sits atop the huge play area dumping water every few minutes on guests standing below. Additional deck space with new lounging chairs and private cabanas are also part of the upgrades.

This fall, Six Flags delivers the biggest Halloween event on the planet—Fright Fest®. It’s Thrills by Day! Fright by Night! Six Flags parks have never been scarier with more ghouls, more haunted mazes and more scares than ever. Every park has terrifying new zombies roaming the midways and creepier frights around every corner. Back by popular demand is Suicide Squad: The Six Flags Fright Fest Experience at Magic Mountain. This featured section at Six Flags Magic Mountain took park-goers by storm in 2016. The park’s DC UNIVERSE section will once again be completely transformed as the “Worst Heroes Ever” from the film Suicide Squad roam the streets. State-of-the-art digital imagery and fiery special effects add to the chilling atmosphere.

Later this year, Six Flags New England joins 10 Six Flags properties to ring in the holidays with Holiday in the Park®—a time-honored, feel good Six Flags tradition featuring a winter wonderland of all the beloved sights and sounds of the season, yummy holiday treats along with guest favorite rides and attractions, set against the backdrop of millions of twinkling lights.

For more information about 2018 roller coasters, rides and attractions at Six Flags, including a video highlighting the new offerings, visit https://www.sixflags.com/newfor2018.

Edited by larrygator

There was nothing quite like waking up and seeing Jim Reid Anderson on a motorcycle. It just wouldn't be Six Flags announcement day without him, so I'm glad he made his return to the chain recently.

Overall a much better year than last year. Twisted Cyclone and SFFT's Wonder Woman both look great and many of the parks got awesome flat rides that will compliment their coasters nicely.

Overall a much better year than last year. Twisted Cyclone and SFFT's Wonder Woman both look great and many of the parks got awesome flat rides that will compliment their coasters nicely.

I beg to differ. It's quite obvious Six Flags was incredibly cheap this year. The chain as a whole spent around 50 million as supposed to the 75 million number that was being thrown around. They may not see a big profit at a few of the parks.

I wasn't counting dollars, but in terms of the quality of the additions I think they fit the parks pretty well.

Also when I went to renew my pass I noticed a new perk this year. I'm interested to see how frequently and what rides this will be valid on.

814885261_SkiptheLine.PNG.4edfd8b2f8577ee87d23619d84da4cce.PNG