California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pg 1122 - CGA Haunt Media Event!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby Superbatboy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:15 am

chickenbowl wrote:
Superbatboy wrote:
ECZenith wrote:^Was this the double out model ? This one was for the T-Rex (larger model) Very impressive layout on this one

This is the double out model

No, this is

It's the same model, just a 3D rendering. All the elements match up if you watch the video
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:20 am

Superbatboy wrote:It's the same model, just a 3D rendering. All the elements match up if you watch the video

Incorrect. For example, the "airtime down raven" shown in the profile view is a late-twisting Dive loop, just like on Wonder Woman. It's not what's shown in the 3D animation. Not too mention the lack of an "overbank cutback" or "180-stall" in the 3D rendering too.

The 3D rendering is completely different than the two 2D renderings shown (referred to as "Double Out" and "Triple Out"). Wonder Woman is also different than anything previously shown, although mostly similar to the triple out 2D model.
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

Postby Superbatboy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:45 am

chickenbowl wrote:
Superbatboy wrote:It's the same model, just a 3D rendering. All the elements match up if you watch the video

Incorrect. For example, the "airtime down raven" shown in the profile view is a late-twisting Dive loop, just like on Wonder Woman. It's not what's shown in the 3D animation. Not too mention the lack of an "overbank cutback" or "180-stall" in the 3D rendering too.

The 3D rendering is completely different than the two 2D renderings shown (referred to as "Double Out" and "Triple Out"). Wonder Woman is also different than anything previously shown, although mostly similar to the triple out 2D model.

Okay you're right about the 3D rendering being different than the double out blueprint my bad. But Wonder Woman matches element for element on the triple out blueprint, the height is the only thing that doesnt match.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Postby chickenbowl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:11 am

Superbatboy wrote:
chickenbowl wrote:

Okay you're right about the 3D rendering being different than the double out blueprint my bad. But Wonder Woman matches element for element on the triple out blueprint, the height is the only thing that doesnt match.

Like I said, it's similar. The brakerun is on the other side, the last element is a low turn, not a "overbank wave turn", and the height and length are off. In reality, Wonder Woman is probably a revised version of the Triple Out design.

Chasing Airtime

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am

Six Flags may have announced the first RMC Raptor, but I'm sure Cedar Fair has a major surprise up their sleeves. ;) They just sitting back waiting to see the reactions! =)
Last edited by ThemeParkJunkie51290 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:24 pm.
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Postby chickenbowl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 am

ABW wrote:Alright guys, they said the track will be 6 inches. Whatever new coaster Great America is getting is going to have six inch tall track. I need measurements for in Intmain Blitz Coaster rail, STAT! That way we can confirm what coaster CGA is getting. Hurry! :lmao: :b :p

Evidently, rumor season obsessive geek in us all.

You're joking, right?

When the permits says:
"Architectural Review of a new 110-foot, 6-inch tall steel track rollercoaster ride structure, and associated station building and site landscaping within the Great America Theme Park."

You know they're saying the "steel track rollercoaster ride structure" is "110-foot, 6-inch tall" as in a total height110.5ft, right? :lol: Not a 110ft tall coaster with 6in tall track. :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry if I just explained your joke to the point of not being funny
Chasing Airtime

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby ABW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:19 pm

^No, it's all good. I actually didn't realize that at all, but perhaps because of the vauge phrasing of the architectural review. I realize that adding inches in to the calculation would be prudent, so that makes sense, nonetheless. I hastily made that post without thinking about the context of the architectural review probably couldn't care less about the rail size, but to my credit, most roller coaster rails do consist of a diameter eerily close to several inches. You can appreciate if this architectural review said the height was 110 ft., 1.5 inches, I wouldn't waste a second thinking that 1.5 inches was referring to the track size because I'm spatially deft enough to the point that I realize a track is going to have a larger diameter than 1.5 inches. Thank you for your understanding. I'll edit that post now so nobody else gets confused.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:29 pm

Scanning my family's old Super 8 and 8mm film reels to computer and came across a couple marked "Great America 7/77", thought you all would appreciate this pretty rare footage of the park when it was only a year old. There are a couple quick shots of Whizzer, lots of good footage of Turn Of The Century, and several things that arent at the park anymore. I think Tidal Wave was probably under construction when this was filmed, but I didn't see it in the video. There's also some kinda neat footage of driving down the 680 from Sacramento showing a freeway overfly still under construction somewhere in the south bay.
Last edited by singemfrc on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:10 pm.
Favorite Steel: Green Lantern First Flight (SFMM) - I know, I'm crazy. I love the unpredictability of it.
Favorite Wood: Ghost Rider (KBF) - since the refurb it is amazing!
Most Wanted: Starry Sky Scraper, El Toro, I305, Batman (SFFT), Eejanaika, Dinoconda, Insane, Outlaw Run

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm

^Quite a treasure you have yourself! I'm no scholar of the park's history, but that was pretty fun to watch.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm

"Greased Lightning" was originally called "The Tidal Wave." This brings back memories--spent a few happy days at Mariott's Great America when I was in high school.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!