TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Cedar Fair buying an identical ride to Six Flags in the same year? Seems unlikely to me. I could be wrong, but I wonder if CGA's ride will be a whole different setup.

I was thinking the same thing! It might be a RMC raptor . . . it might not. This project is gearing towards a different direction in my opinion. If this coaster will be themed to a mountain trail of some sort, the layout will most likely be different than Wonder Woman. I'm thinking close to the ground, and possibly a launch? The construction site is also WAY BIGGER than any of us expected. Whatever they announce on Aug. 16, I'm sure it'll get me to visit next year for sure.

Cedar Fair buying an identical ride to Six Flags in the same year? Seems unlikely to me. I could be wrong, but I wonder if CGA's ride will be a whole different setup.

There's a completely different version of the ride called the "double out" which RMC debuted at IAAPA in 2015. Hopefully CGA gets that version

^Was this the double out model ? This one was for the T-Rex (larger model) Very impressive layout on this one

This is the double out model

No, this is

zrsyqdjo8kdz.png

It's the same model, just a 3D rendering. All the elements match up if you watch the video

It's the same model, just a 3D rendering. All the elements match up if you watch the video

Incorrect. For example, the "airtime down raven" shown in the profile view is a late-twisting Dive loop, just like on Wonder Woman. It's not what's shown in the 3D animation. Not too mention the lack of an "overbank cutback" or "180-stall" in the 3D rendering too.

The 3D rendering is completely different than the two 2D renderings shown (referred to as "Double Out" and "Triple Out"). Wonder Woman is also different than anything previously shown, although mostly similar to the triple out 2D model.

Incorrect. For example, the "airtime down raven" shown in the profile view is a late-twisting Dive loop, just like on Wonder Woman. It's not what's shown in the 3D animation. Not too mention the lack of an "overbank cutback" or "180-stall" in the 3D rendering too.

The 3D rendering is completely different than the two 2D renderings shown (referred to as "Double Out" and "Triple Out"). Wonder Woman is also different than anything previously shown, although mostly similar to the triple out 2D model.

Okay you're right about the 3D rendering being different than the double out blueprint my bad. But Wonder Woman matches element for element on the triple out blueprint, the height is the only thing that doesnt match.

Okay you're right about the 3D rendering being different than the double out blueprint my bad. But Wonder Woman matches element for element on the triple out blueprint, the height is the only thing that doesnt match.

Like I said, it's similar. The brakerun is on the other side, the last element is a low turn, not a "overbank wave turn", and the height and length are off. In reality, Wonder Woman is probably a revised version of the Triple Out design.

Alright guys, they said the track will be 6 inches. Whatever new coaster Great America is getting is going to have six inch tall track. I need measurements for in Intmain Blitz Coaster rail, STAT! That way we can confirm what coaster CGA is getting. Hurry!

Evidently, rumor season obsessive geek in us all.

You're joking, right?

When the permits says:

"Architectural Review of a new 110-foot, 6-inch tall steel track rollercoaster ride structure, and associated station building and site landscaping within the Great America Theme Park."

You know they're saying the "steel track rollercoaster ride structure" is "110-foot, 6-inch tall" as in a total height110.5ft, right? Not a 110ft tall coaster with 6in tall track.

Sorry if I just explained your joke to the point of not being funny

^No, it's all good. I actually didn't realize that at all, but perhaps because of the vauge phrasing of the architectural review. I realize that adding inches in to the calculation would be prudent, so that makes sense, nonetheless. I hastily made that post without thinking about the context of the architectural review probably couldn't care less about the rail size, but to my credit, most roller coaster rails do consist of a diameter eerily close to several inches. You can appreciate if this architectural review said the height was 110 ft., 1.5 inches, I wouldn't waste a second thinking that 1.5 inches was referring to the track size because I'm spatially deft enough to the point that I realize a track is going to have a larger diameter than 1.5 inches. Thank you for your understanding. I'll edit that post now so nobody else gets confused.

Scanning my family's old Super 8 and 8mm film reels to computer and came across a couple marked "Great America 7/77", thought you all would appreciate this pretty rare footage of the park when it was only a year old. There are a couple quick shots of Whizzer, lots of good footage of Turn Of The Century, and several things that arent at the park anymore. I think Tidal Wave was probably under construction when this was filmed, but I didn't see it in the video. There's also some kinda neat footage of driving down the 680 from Sacramento showing a freeway overfly still under construction somewhere in the south bay.

Edited by singemfrc

"Greased Lightning" was originally called "The Tidal Wave." This brings back memories--spent a few happy days at Mariott's Great America when I was in high school.

"Greased Lightning" was originally called "The Tidal Wave." This brings back memories--spent a few happy days at Mariott's Great America when I was in high school.

It's too bad that they didn't keep it around, I love those Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop coasters. I think Montezooma at Knott's is the last one still operating in the U.S.

There's also some kinda neat footage of driving down the 680 from Sacramento showing a freeway overfly still under construction somewhere in the south bay.

That freeway under construction is the 101/680 interchange. I guess it still wasn't finished in 1977.

www.mercurynews.com/2016/01/08/san-joses-infamous-monument-to-nowhere-freeway-interchange-finally-named-after-joe-colla/

There's also some kinda neat footage of driving down the 680 from Sacramento showing a freeway overfly still under construction somewhere in the south bay.

That freeway under construction is the 101/680 interchange. I guess it still wasn't finished in 1977.

www.mercurynews.com/2016/01/08/san-joses-infamous-monument-to-nowhere-freeway-interchange-finally-named-after-joe-colla/

Thank you, I was wondering what that was!

Did you guys notice the proper operation of an Arrow looper!? One train goes down the first drop, the next train is on the lift.

I never rode TOCentury, but I do remember that operation at Demon (at my home Great America, here in Gurnee). As soon as the train went down the drop, you would hear that loud ripping sound of the next train latching on and ratcheting at the bottom of the lift. And then the nose would peek out above the 'lift rocks.' Good times! Get in, pull down your bar, and your off! Simple times. Logical times.