TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

p. 45: Donkey Kong Country announced for 2024!

I'd love to see a ride version of Mario Kart that isn't just a simulator.

Unless perhaps it was Flight of Passage style.

As much as I like Flight of Passage, I would have still rather it have been a physical ride than a simulator. I will just never be able to like a "simulator" attraction as much as I will a coaster or a fast moving dark ride, etc.

Personally, I will be very annoyed if Nintendo World turns out to be another batch of "One and Done" Universal simulator attractions.

My personal pipe dream of this would be sets of trackless vehicles going through a dark ride race course interacting with each other, changing speeds and there being riderless trackless vehicles showing up as shells at one point. Throw in some banana scenery making random cars spin and perhaps one projected room where after the lights flash on everything is bigger for lightning.

If I can't drink while riding then it won't be an authentic Mario Kart attraction.

This. You can't start the race until you finish chugging your beer!

But anyway, they have so many opportunities with this, like Robb said I hope they don't mess it up with simulator attractions. A Donkey Kong Mine Cart coaster would be amazing.

As much as I like Flight of Passage, I would have still rather it have been a physical ride than a simulator.

Right with you there Robb. Universal has beaten the dead horse with simulators.

If you're going to do Mario Kart (which you'd have to be stupid not to do) please for the love of gawd Universal do it right and make it an actual ride. It's unfortunate this is something I'll probably never get to being it's in Japan, but an actual Mario Kart ride with racing (similar but more intense than Radiator Springs Racers) would be off the charts awesome. I'm not even a Nintendo guy but I've always endured Mario and Mario Kart HAS to be the most universally loved multi-player video game out there.

I know people love Mario Party and all the other ones but when it comes to EVERYONE, I think Mario Kart is a game where ANYONE can pick it up quickly and have fun.

YES! Four "player", they get in individual carts and for the start they line you up 4 across. Have a button in the cart for doing the boost during the famous audible countdown. The two that hold it closest to correct move ahead as the track merges to two tracks for the majority of the ride. Their could be a HUD that shows you when you get "hit" by items and those would cause you to get behind that others. I agree a similar format to the Radiator Springs ride. I could see this being a pretty complicated ride making sure it is fun and shuffling the order of the four players around, but I could see it being amazing!

Rumor has it this will be mostly Physical Sets, so I think we are in luck here.

Also heard rumors of using something like hololens to simulate cars and other things around you, don't know if this rumor will hold up though.

With Mario Kart, I think the Raptor coaster track would be great. If you ran say like 6 coaster tracks on the course through a combination of physical sets on the scale of RR and screens, would be quite the stunner. However, I think for USH, it will be yet another simulator, in which case I can only hope it is more like Transformers and less Despicable Me. I think it really is just the USJ/USF parks that has the best chance of doing Mario Kart ride justice.

My personal pipe dream of this would be sets of trackless vehicles going through a dark ride race course interacting with each other, changing speeds and there being riderless trackless vehicles showing up as shells at one point. Throw in some banana scenery making random cars spin and perhaps one projected room where after the lights flash on everything is bigger for lightning.

Yes! So much could be achieved with such a concept, genius!

In Orlando this land will include 6 or more rides. Possibly 3-E tickets, Mario Kart will be almost all physical sets and quite possibly bigger then forbidden journey and gringotts.

Yeah, I don't think that's the case.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, at the end of September I'm going to be going to USJ for two days at Hotel Keihan Universal City. I plan to be spending about 1 and a half days at the park and I am wondering what would be be best route on how to do tickets and an express pass (Flying Dinosaur 7 Attraction Pass)? I'm pretty sure they sell them at the hotel, but I'm kind of wondering if I waited until I got there would I have to worry about them (especially the express pass) being sold out?

Hey guys, at the end of September I'm going to be going to USJ for two days at Hotel Keihan Universal City. I plan to be spending about 1 and a half days at the park and I am wondering what would be be best route on how to do tickets and an express pass (Flying Dinosaur 7 Attraction Pass)? I'm pretty sure they sell them at the hotel, but I'm kind of wondering if I waited until I got there would I have to worry about them (especially the express pass) being sold out?

Buy them immediately. They'll sell out.

If you're set on those two days anyway, then yeah book them ahead of time. I think one of the hotel perks is that you can buy them an hour before the park opens when regular guests can't but if you've already set those dates no disadvantage to doing it, especially if Halloween nights have started by then. I think Flying Dinosaur and the HP rides are timed slots so just pray to the weather gods.

Kind of confused by new ticket policies. It says any tickets bought through online agencies or resellers will be nulled to stop tickets selling out (I'm guessing fast pass issues) but the English website will only let me get them in advance through resellers and agencies they link to. I know on the Japan site you can book them directly.

Edit: Got bored and looked into going during some time off next month and the flying dinosaur 7 seems to be sold out already for days I wanted so yea book now.

So there was a graphic going around that showed that Super Nintendo World would occupy the south-east corner of the park when it was first announced. The groundbreaking ceremony was held in a parking lot north of the park. Has anybody seen any actual construction going on that would confirm where SNW will really be located?

Thanks guys! Bought my tickets and Express Pass and I'm ready for Flying Dinosaur, Space Fantasy, and Hollywood Dream. I tried doing it through the japanese website (took 2 1/2 hours lol) and it didn't go through thanks to my card being declined, but did it through Klook and it worked.

On a sidenote, it looks like they temporarily re-themed Space Fantasy to a J-pop band or something?

On a sidenote, it looks like they temporarily re-themed Space Fantasy to a J-pop band or something?

Is it still Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR ride? or is it something else? It was KPPXRR when I rode it in May 2016 but that was supposed to be over by now. If it is still KPPXRR, then it has Samsung VR goggles and only the front seats are loaded and the spinning is locked. It takes twice as long to load unfortunately. I slipped off my goggles for a second and was still able to see some space fantasy stuff.

Please keep a look out for any construction going on. Really curious where Super Nintendo World is really going in at.

Here's all you need to know about Kyary Pamyu Pamyu if you haven't already seen it:

Thanks guys! Bought my tickets and Express Pass and I'm ready for Flying Dinosaur, Space Fantasy, and Hollywood Dream. I tried doing it through the japanese website (took 2 1/2 hours lol) and it didn't go through thanks to my card being declined, but did it through Klook and it worked.

Looking at that site, it seems it charges more for 7 flying dinosaur than others instead of official prices and isn't a site listed on the USJ site for fast pass. The backdrop 7 jumped from like 90 dollars to 200 dollars when I clicked for August 17th as an example. I've never tried one but i'm curious if this policy applies to sites like that, but how do they tell if it's been booked by an agency for you through the QR codes exactly? http://www.usj.co.jp/e/news/resale.html

I'm curious because my Japanese friend who would help me book them and guide me through the site left Korea and it is a lot harder for foreigners when there isn't an option on the English site to do it and they sell out in advance.

Edited by Garet

This was posted at the bottom at the FAQ section:

I saw a warning on the USJ official website that indicates tickets sold by resellers are not valid and will not be accepted. Are the tickets I bought on Klook genuine? Will I have any problems when trying to use them at the park?

Klook is offical partner of Universal Studios Japan. Please visit the USJ official website to see our credentials. (http://www.usj.co.jp/hk/travel/) All USJ tickets sold by Klook are genuine and will be accepted for entry into the park.

The link on USJ's website takes me right to the tickets that can be purchased and Universal Studios Theme Parks seems to listed as a partner, so it sounds good to me.

^ Yeah, I've never heard of anyone stopped and my co-teachers use that site too. I saw that site listed but they only didn't have the universal express symbol on the official site as a licensed distributor which I was told to look out for. Before HP I could always buy by being at the park an hour before opening.

After HP they've always been sold out and a lot of companies buy them and raise the price by demand, so USJ updated the policies. When I looked at Klook it raised the price to $200 dollars on a backdrop ticket for August as well. I mean official price is $170 for a fast pass but seems strange that they can charge a $40 premium on top when that seemed to the be the thing USJ wanted to stop.

I hope one day they can put an advance booking for queue passes on the official site on the English website as well, I'm just the kind of person who would rather pay on an official site and be safe than go through agencies when possible. Please let me know how it goes, I'm potentially going to go back for my next trip if this RMC White Cyclone rumors comes true, then I may go early 2019 when my school closes for a few days.