Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 587 - Twisted Cyclone RMC Coaster for 2018 Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby beenagins87 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:27 pm

southpuddle wrote:How can SFOG let Scorcher look that bad? That ride looms over the front entrance.. nothing says "welcome to Six Flags" more than a dilapidated roller coaster. What's really hilarious is that the paint underneath the peeling purple looks better than what they used to cover it with now.

They were too busy repainting Blue Hawk and Superman,neither of which really needed it. I understand why they painted both a rename for Blue Hawk and Superman got it because of Justice League going next door, but Scorcher clearly needs it more than any other ride.Golitha is fading, but still looks presentable.
Coasters: 96 66 Steel, 30 Wood)

Top 5 Wood: 1 Lightning Rod 1B) Beast at night 2. Goliath 3. The Voyage 4. Mystic Timbers 5. American Thunder

Top 5 Steel: 1. I305 2. Goliath ( SFOG) 3. TN Tornado 4. V2 5. Batman: The Ride

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:20 pm

SFOGdude25 wrote:Ugh...

Oh my! I didn't realize it was that bad!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:37 pm

PatrickFHam wrote:
Before the all-but-official RMC conversion of GC, I was thinking 2018 could have been repainting GS and a floorless conversion, a la Mantis/Rougarou at Cedar Point... an opportunity for marketing a "new" ride, and high exposure up front, too. Granted, I'd guess it's not a cheap conversion, but surely they are aware load/unload on our GS is the worst one of all the stand ups. (That's for real.)

It doesn't have to be. Several years ago I was there on a day where they were often dispatching one train as the other train was going around the curve between break runs. I was there on Thursday and the crew was stacking trains during test runs after the park shut down due to weather. During one test run they didn't even bring the second train into the station until after the other train had run through the course and had been sitting on the first set of brakes for a couple of minutes. They were too concerned with goofing off with each other.

Speaking of Thursday: What's the point of having all of these Freestyle machines for people to refill their drink bottles if you aren't going to keep them stocked throughout the day?

And while I do hope they repaint Scorcher soon, I would be ecstatic if they finally got Mindbender the ability to have two working trains consistently.

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:23 pm

Georgia Cyclone's Last Day Trip Report!

My word I am so exhausted.

It was pretty crowded all day, but I didn't care. I just rode everything I wanted to once and then headed over to Cyclone for its last 2 hours of operation. The crowds that came to ride Cyclone were pretty average all day, with the queue being about half-full at closing time, including a bunch of ACErs that all piled at the very back of the line and waited until the entrance was closed off to line up behind the rest of the queue so they could get on the last train. Personally I didn't care as I was almost to the stairs when the line was shut off. I got 4 rides today and 8 the day before so I had gotten my fill. After my last ride, I spent the rest of the ride's operation hanging out in the parent swap area on the platform. Everyone was having a blast. It was really fun to just watch the last cycles from the station. Dale Kaetzel was there as well as some PR people that were taking pictures and filming and all that fun stuff. It was a really fun way to send off the ride.

So how was the ride? Well, it was very visibly in rough shape. It's obvious that Six Flags is ready to put this ride out to pasture. The structure seemed to flex more than it should have, the track had a ton of potholes in it, and the trains were showing really bad signs of poor maintenance. Hell at one point tonight, as a girl was getting into the train, she somehow tripped on the car's fiberglass side decal panel and straight up BROKE IT, so the piece of fiberglass was barely holding on by one screw, and it flapped and rattled as the train went through the course. :roll: However, I still really enjoyed all my rides on it this weekend.

Georgia Cyclone is a bit of a special ride for me. It was one of the first big roller coasters I ever rode when I was 7, and I've always been a fan of the ride. It provided some of the most violent airtime anywhere, and I honestly kinda liked how it tossed you around. To quote someone else, it felt like a very "raw and organic" wood coaster experience, not precise and dialed like a GCI or RMC for example, but rather loose and unpredictable. That kind of experience seems to get more and more rare these days, but nonetheless. The fact is that the majority of the general public hated the ride, and it was tearing itself apart in its last years, to the point where I guess Six Flags just didn't want to keep it up anymore, and that's totally fine. I'm REALLY curious to know what RMC could do with this ride. It doesn't seem like they could deviate too much from the original layout since it's so compact, but if any of their current designs are an indicator, the new Georgia Cyclone will probably surprise me.

So yes, I'll miss Georgia Cyclone, but it really was time for it to go. Looking forward to next year. =)

I took all these photos on my phone. I have a few videos of the very last ride up on my Instagram as well.
IMG_0830.JPG
Morning crowds trying to get in. Today was the last day of summer for Cobb county metro schools so the park was packed with a ton of families and their kids.
IMG_0831.JPG
Safe to say this view will be VERY different next year.
IMG_0843.JPG
Ah yes the reason we're all here.
IMG_0832.JPG
The line didn't get much longer than this most of the day.
IMG_0839.JPG
Lining up for my final front row ride. Note the mismatching lap bars...
IMG_0841.JPG
This was a bittersweet photo to take for me.
IMG_0852.JPG
Here's the final train just before dispatch. Around 9 pm. Park closed at 8.
IMG_0856.JPG
Finally, a parting selfie. So long old friend. Looking forward to your steel-tracked resurrection. =)

Postby Vonni » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:47 pm

^ Awesome report! Thanks for sharing that with us!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:48 am

Thanks for the report! So stoked this thing is getting RMC'd. :b
Look for the humor in anything and you will find it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman: The Ride - Intimidator 305 -
Wicked Cyclone - Phantoms Revenge - Millennium Force - Storm Runner - Nitro

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mayb78910 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:03 am

SFOGdude25 wrote:Georgia Cyclone's Last Day Trip Report!

My word I am so exhausted.

It was pretty crowded all day, but I didn't care. I just rode everything I wanted to once and then headed over to Cyclone for its last 2 hours of operation. The crowds that came to ride Cyclone were pretty average all day, with the queue being about half-full at closing time, including a bunch of ACErs that all piled at the very back of the line and waited until the entrance was closed off to line up behind the rest of the queue so they could get on the last train. Personally I didn't care as I was almost to the stairs when the line was shut off. I got 4 rides today and 8 the day before so I had gotten my fill. After my last ride, I spent the rest of the ride's operation hanging out in the parent swap area on the platform. Everyone was having a blast. It was really fun to just watch the last cycles from the station. Dale Kaetzel was there as well as some PR people that were taking pictures and filming and all that fun stuff. It was a really fun way to send off the ride.

So how was the ride? Well, it was very visibly in rough shape. It's obvious that Six Flags is ready to put this ride out to pasture. The structure seemed to flex more than it should have, the track had a ton of potholes in it, and the trains were showing really bad signs of poor maintenance. Hell at one point tonight, as a girl was getting into the train, she somehow tripped on the car's fiberglass side decal panel and straight up BROKE IT, so the piece of fiberglass was barely holding on by one screw, and it flapped and rattled as the train went through the course. :roll: However, I still really enjoyed all my rides on it this weekend.

Georgia Cyclone is a bit of a special ride for me. It was one of the first big roller coasters I ever rode when I was 7, and I've always been a fan of the ride. It provided some of the most violent airtime anywhere, and I honestly kinda liked how it tossed you around. To quote someone else, it felt like a very "raw and organic" wood coaster experience, not precise and dialed like a GCI or RMC for example, but rather loose and unpredictable. That kind of experience seems to get more and more rare these days, but nonetheless. The fact is that the majority of the general public hated the ride, and it was tearing itself apart in its last years, to the point where I guess Six Flags just didn't want to keep it up anymore, and that's totally fine. I'm REALLY curious to know what RMC could do with this ride. It doesn't seem like they could deviate too much from the original layout since it's so compact, but if any of their current designs are an indicator, the new Georgia Cyclone will probably surprise me.

So yes, I'll miss Georgia Cyclone, but it really was time for it to go. Looking forward to next year. =)

I took all these photos on my phone. I have a few videos of the very last ride up on my Instagram as well.

Thanks!! I really enjoyed your post!

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 am

Great report!

SFOGdude25 wrote: with the queue being about half-full at closing time, including a bunch of ACErs that all piled at the very back of the line and waited until the entrance was closed off to line up behind the rest of the queue so they could get on the last train.

:lol: Sounds about right...

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby purplechicken » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:55 am

Everything SFOGdude25 said is about the same as what I had to say, other than the fact that I was on the last train! :b :br :b :br

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:29 am

Mismatching lap bars? That's a new one, haha. Pretty obvious they want to take Old Yeller to the barn.

I haven't been since 2011 but I really enjoyed my rides on Georgia Cyclone. True that it was a bit rough, but that was part of the reason why it produced better airtime than the other cyclone models I've been on.

Like the Racer models being removed, this doesn't really sadden me knowing the future is bright and there are plenty of other Cyclone models still out there to ride.
Cincy -> Chicago

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!