TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

EDIT: Sorry I have to delete this link. There is NO WAY IN HELL I will ever support that horrible Tom Corless person. It's hard for me to think of another person that even comes close to how awful he is in the Disney community. I'd rather even hang out with Kevin Yee before having to be anywhere near that guy! lol Please do not ever post a link from his site here again. Thank you.

--Robb Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

The Tomorrowland Speedway is the most out-of-place attraction I've ever seen in my life. It's a complete waste of space, there's nothing futuristic about it and honestly I don't see how there ever was. I know Walt was obsessed with transportation and people had a massive boner for cars, complex interstate systems and suburban living in the 50's when Disneyland's ride opened but President Eisenhower signed the Federal-Aid Highway Act in 1956 and this thing opened in 1971. If Tomorrowland was called "Sh*t we were obsessed with 15 years ago land" then it would have been a perfect fit. I'd have an easier time defending Kings Dominion's decision to put a coaster themed to snow, a UFO spaceship ride and a giga coaster themed to Nascar in the Congo than I would defending a 50's style combustion engine car ride with a loading area that has an almost overwhelming amount of gas fumes hovering around it being built in a section of Disney World themed to the future in 1971.

This ride sucks and I fully support anything that replaces it.

Edited by coasterbill

Surely they wouldn't add another coaster that is really close to the coaster they currently have in the land, seeing as that tron is the replacement for space mountain in shanghai.

Why? I mean they have two "mine trains" in the same park! Are you really complaining about another potential awesome coaster in Magic Kingdom!?!?!? #dumb

Surely they wouldn't add another coaster that is really close to the coaster they currently have in the land, seeing as that tron is the replacement for space mountain in shanghai.

Why? I mean they have two "mine trains" in the same park! Are you really complaining about another potential awesome coaster in Magic Kingdom!?!?!? #dumb

Seeing as Tron is one of the most awesome coasters Disney has ever made, anyone who complains about it replacing small go-karts shouldn't be allowed to ride it...

Seeing as Tron is one of the most awesome coasters Disney has ever made, anyone who complains about it replacing small go-karts shouldn't be allowed to ride it...

I guess I won't be allowed to ride it then. Rides like the speedway are theme park staples.

I'm not complaining about getting a new coaster or getting rid of the speedway, hell I'm going to shanghai just to ride the coaster. I was just thinking usually they seem to avoid placing rides that are same ride types in the same land. Like that Big thunder is in frontierland and seven dwarfs is in fantasyland.

I'm not complaining about getting a new coaster or getting rid of the speedway, hell I'm going to shanghai just to ride the coaster. I was just thinking usually they seem to avoid placing rides that are same ride types in the same land. Like that Big thunder is in frontierland and seven dwarfs is in fantasyland.

One is a rocket ship through outer space and one is a light bike race through the inside of a computer (I think), how are those the same type of ride?

One is a rocket ship through outer space and one is a light bike race through the inside of a computer (I think), how are those the same type of ride?

I was just talking about how both are future based rollercoasters (make sense right?).

But i should just stop talking i'm digging a hole I cant get out of.

I guess I won't be allowed to ride it then. Rides like the speedway are theme park staples.

So that's why parks like Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland, and now Magic Kingdom are removing them?

Man, it sure would be nice to have less stupid people on our forums...

Throwing this out there, insiders are reporting Tron is in ADDITION to a slight Speedway upgrade. This isn't a replacement. Of course every news site is jumping on the replacement train instead of listening to the insiders.

Ever since these Tron rumors started popping up I though it would be cool if they could modify the speedway ride path and have the ride go inside of a the show Tron building for some indoor and outdoor scenes. Might even be a chance to update the whole concept and make it more modern and interactive.

That or it'll just get torn down entirely, I really don't care either way.

Throwing this out there, insiders are reporting Tron is in ADDITION to a slight Speedway upgrade. This isn't a replacement. Of course every news site is jumping on the replacement train instead of listening to the insiders.

Ever since these Tron rumors started popping up I though it would be cool if they could modify the speedway ride path and have the ride go inside of a the show Tron building for some indoor and outdoor scenes. Might even be a chance to update the whole concept and make it more modern and interactive.

That or it'll just get torn down entirely, I really don't care either way.

I wouldn't miss the Speedway at all. The insiders were reporting there were 3 plans for Tron. Replace the Speedway, put it behind the Speedway, or stick it in Epcot. Since one of the proposals for the Epcot spine overhaul is Tron-like (on top of SSE's and Test Tracks Tron styling as well), they apparently didn't want to stick it there. So from what it looks, add it to MK and let Guardians take UoE instead of Tron taking it over (or the Big Bang proposal). And these are the same people that knew about Avatar Land and its' ride systems well before any of them were announced or broke ground. So I feel good about believing them.

Tron is an awesome coaster that definitely has the wow factor Space Mountain cannot offer. I wish the Magic Kingdom version can figure out the Iocker situation better as it is creates a huge mess in Shanghai (It feels like something Universal does, not WDI) . And please give that thing a longer coaster portion, one more block of coaster would make the experience much much more complete.

I really don't give a damn about Tomorrowland Speedway, heck I thought it was called Autopia until earlier today and I've been to MK a few times.

My only experience with the Tron coaster is via videos (would love to go to China someday...), but given that I skipped Autopia when I was at Disneyland, I'd say replacing Tomorrowland Speedway with Tron would be just awesome. I definitely would have made time for it, whereas I couldn't be bothered to peel myself away from more awesome rides for the go karts of the future.

The speedways take up a huge amount of space. Paris could easily create a whole new south end of Discoveryland if they killed theirs.

And to those who say Tron would be too similar to Space Mountain: one is about computers, the other is about, you know, space. Pretty different.

The ride experience is fairly different between the two also, while I've not ridden Tron itself, I've been on other Vekoma Motorbike coasters, and the feeling is nothing like Space Mountain.

The only downside to this is that they will be removing a 32in (0.8m) ride with a 48in (1.2m) ride, presuming that it will have the same restrictions as Shanghai. Yes there is already plenty to do for the younger ones in the park, but the Tomorrowland Speedway is a popular attraction with them.

I like the idea of combing both the Lightcycles and a Speedway/Autopia, if they had a full on Tron theme with electric cars it would be a great revamp, and an interesting attraction with the lightcycles speeding along above.

The only downside to this is that they will be removing a 32in (0.8m) ride with a 48in (1.2m) ride, presuming that it will have the same restrictions as Shanghai. Yes there is already plenty to do for the younger ones in the park, but the Tomorrowland Speedway is a popular attraction with them.

I think it can be remedied somewhat by adding a C/D-ticket attraction in or in close proximity to Tron's showbuilding, like how Tokyo is making up for some of Tomorrowland's losses in the wake of the Fantasyland expansion with a Big Hero 6 attraction.

I have Two Questions about the Upcoming Tron Announcement:

1. What are they going to do to thematically distinguish this from Test Track? (which has several graphics that are similar to the indoor Shanghai version, and overall styling)

2. Wasn't GOTG supposed to be a big indoor/outdoor rollercoaster? Meaning Disney is putting in Three family/thrill launching coasters at the same time? That would certainly be a new direction.