TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Playland's Castaway Cove Discussion Thread

Good little article with some rider reviews.

http://ocnjdaily.com/new-gale-force-roller-coaster-gets-thumbs-up-from-riders/

If shrieks and screams are any way to judge the thrill factor of an amusement ride, then the new Gale Force roller-coaster at Playland’s Castaway Cove is already a blockbuster hit.

Primal, high-pitched screeching filled the air above the Ocean City Boardwalk as riders got their first taste of a towering roller-coaster that is exhilarating one moment and terrifying the next.

“Scary, that’s all I have to say,” 8-year-old Mia Plocinik exclaimed moments after stepping off the coaster Sunday afternoon.

Her father, Chris Plocinik, of Newtown Square, Pa., chuckled at his daughter’s reaction. He loved the ride.

“It was fast,” Plocinik said. “There were a lot of loop-de-loops. It is the best thing they have going now in Ocean City. They absolutely need something like this ride.”

More at the link.

"It’s been the best experience everyone has ever had on a roller-coaster,” said Jon Mahony, a Playland electrical mechanic for the ride.

Yeah, I, uh...I think that might be overstating it a little bit.

If you worked for the park would you not be hyping it up?

Should we assume you've ridden it and therefore can refute his statement?

The best experience everyone has ever had on a coaster? I can't even think of any coaster (besides Phoenix, of course) that everyone even likes.

I mean, fine, maybe I'm just nitpicking, but the line just made me roll my eyes, that's all.

It's all about perspective.

Consider that not everyone is a coaster enthusiast that has been all over and has had many different coaster experiences. And with any Jersey Shore town people typically go to the same spots year after year, so people that regularly visit Ocean City may have never seen anything like this - remember they got rid of a modest Flitzer and crappy Pinfari for this, and the town has never had anything bigger/faster/etc than this. Hell, most of the "reviews" on there are from little kids - I'm sure many of their minds were blown.

The best experience everyone has ever had on a coaster? I can't even think of any coaster (besides Phoenix, of course) that everyone even likes.

I mean, fine, maybe I'm just nitpicking, but the line just made me roll my eyes, that's all.

My fiance didn't like Phoenix. It hurt her hips. She patiently waited for me while I took multiple re-rides.

Yes, I still want to marry her.

I'm surprised we don't have more reviews and video of this ride. The only one I found is this Vlog of a guy doing his first inverting roller coaster on Great Nor'Easter, and then Gale Force.

Jump to 19:05 :

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Gale Force was just ok. I don't know why, but the launch rattles a ton. I haven't had this on any other launched coasters. The restraints are also major ball busters. As far as positives, the first drop gives excellent air. Overall the layout is pretty good but the launch and comfort left something to be desired.

• 2 weeks later...

What the hell?

Teens Vandalize Ocean City Amusement Park

CAPE MAY COUNTY, N.J. -

Police in Cape May County are looking for a group of teenagers accused of causing mischief on a popular Jersey Shore boardwalk on two separate occasions.

The Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) released photos from video surveillance and are asking for help in identifying the teens who trespassed at Playland's Castaway Cove amusement park on the Ocean City Boardwalk.

Police said the group entered the park Monday and Wednesday, toppled over two vending machines, turned over half of the park's trash cans, and damaged other property.

If you recognize any of the teens or have any information regarding the case, call the Ocean City Police Department at 609-399-9111.

• 2 weeks later...

I messaged the park yesterday asking if Wild Waves was open since I don't want to drive and not get the credit.

"No it's not. Still waiting on the State of NJ to finish the engineering review"

I'm sure this has been very stressful for the park!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a few weeks late, but chiming in on everything. The lady and I visited on the 17th -

Wild Waves is open. Yay, I guess. It sucks.

Gale Force is a fun ride with some pretty kickass airtime! However, there's no way in hell I would ever pay $10 to ride it again. It would be perfect for a smaller park that wants something similar to a Sky Rocket II but with more airtime. If I ran into one at a pay-one-price location I'd definitely marathon it. The ride did have one wicked shimmy to it, though, which I found odd. It wasn't rough, just extremely shaky. Kinda gave me a nice butt massage throughout.

20170717_181224.thumb.jpg.b9561af67ee08e36b2b91b082e34aeec.jpg

Whee, beyond-vertical airtime!

20170717_181231.thumb.jpg.9342c57906145e98373eb3a5ea23e73d.jpg

Whee, twisty airtime!

20170717_195621.thumb.jpg.411733a53c820eed784c35f6d72d5272.jpg

Whee, sunset airtime!

Wild Waves was open for you? I was down there last weekend and it was still closed. No great loss anyway.

And yeah, I love Gale Force, easily my favorite of the triple-launched coasters I've been on so far (well... not counting YOLO, I guess, but that's a little different), but yeah that price is a little stifling.

Wild Waves is open? hmmm, might have to re-think our plans this Sunday.

Is Superflip (or whatever it's called now) at Gillian's open yet?

No idea. We spent maybe 5 minutes at Gillian's because it has fallen off of a cliff regarding quality (if that's even possible).