TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I'll chalk ours up to perhaps some some pre-cooked BBQ that likely sat around for a bit too long.

Will have to check the one at BGW the next time we go, although I might have a hard time prying myself away from Festhaus.

I agree that the BBQ at both Busch Gardens' can be hit or miss. I worked at BGT for awhile, and after that it was one of my home parks that I visited frequently, and I would say 50/50 it was really good or dry/overcooked.

I've been to BGW's smokehouse twice in my lifetime, once was really good and the next not-so-good. The hidden gem at BGW was the pork shank cart in Ireland and was like eating a gigantic piece of baby back rib, SO GOOD, unfortunately the cart wasn't there on my last visit --- is it gone for good? They also served turkey legs from the cart, but the meat shank was the best cart food I've had from any park, hands down.

Maybe it's seasonal? I hope? I went there twice the same day it was so good, lol.

d1aa568744091763c8ac6eca6f5fc02a.jpg

The Smokehouse can be hit or miss. Get there at the right time when they've just brought out a fresh tray of ribs and it's great; but if you get the last rack of ribs in the tray, they might be bit cold.

Trapper's Smokehouse used to cook their ribs outside on the large grill in front. The cooks would be there slathering the sauce on the ribs and the big fans were used to blow the smoke all over New France which would make guests hungry and draw them to Trapper's. However, I haven't seen them use the grill in several visits, both last Fall and this Spring. Maybe the ribs are pre-cooked now!!

They still use the grill (especially for chicken). However, during the Food and Wine Festival they use the grill for the Canada booth (and cook the venison sausage on it).

^ Yay, Canada! 150 years young this year!

Sorry Chuck, I had to jump on this bandwagon.

But - venison sausage? Interesting.

CanadaBooth02.jpg.25c6e205385862d03137233060f7dd24.jpg

And this, too! Cheddar soup in a bread bowl, anyone? (o;

Did not see this posted, my apologies if I missed it. BGW has posted the menus for the Food & Wine Festival on Its website. Prices seem pretty close to last year's. Three new food stands will be available this year: India, Mediterranean, and Island Freeze Frozen Drinks (prices for this stand aren't posted yet!) An interesting write up about about how the India food stand was developed is found here: https://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/food-and-wine/menus/india/look-book

India includes Tandoori Chicken, Samosas (Indian savory pastry filled with curried potatoes & peas), Spicy Potato Curry, and Mango Burfi (mango & coconut snowballs). Mediterranean includes Halloumi (grilled greek cheese with honey), Lamb Burger Slider, Falafel, and Bakalava. Island Freeze Frozen Drinks includes Rum Runners. Pina Colada, Mojito, Bahama Breeze, Sangria (also found at the Spain food stand), Strawberry Daiquiri, Shark Bite, Belini.

Food and Beverage Sampler - 10 food and beverage samples - $45, 15 food and beverage samples $60.

More info about BGW's Food & Wine Festival: https://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/food-and-wine

I plan on going in a couple of weeks.

Looking forward to Chuck's report sometime after it opens May 26.

My cousin is overweight with a size 40 waist. He could not fit on nitro or el toro at GA due to his large thighs. I plan on going to BGW with him sometime during the summer, are there any coasters that he will have complications with?

Looking forward to Chuck's report sometime after it opens May 26.

Sigh! Am I really that predictable? Well, I guess I am.

I spent Friday night (May 26) at the park to sample some of the new offerings at this year's edition of Food and Wine. As mentioned earlier, there are three new booths:

Mediterranean--If you're a fan of pizza cones, you're out of luck for a while, as this permanent food booth across from Escape from Pompeii has undergone it's usual Food and Wine Festival transformation. It used to be "Greece," and you can still sample the Halloumi (griddled Greek cheese with clover honey and pistachios). But it was all about the new Lamb Burger Slider on Friday night. The wee little lamb burger comes with a slice of cucumber and tomato with feta cheese spread, wrapped in pita bread (there's some pasta salad, too), and it's very good. I'm definitely going to try the Falafel (chickpea fritters) next time. Baklava and Ouzo round out the menu.

Island Freeze--Get your frozen adult beverages across from Verbolten. I didn't try one last night, but just might on a typically hot Virginia summer day.

India--You'll find this colorful tribute to the cuisine of the subcontinent in Germany, across from DarKastle. I tried the Tandoori Chicken, which was very tasty (and a bit spicy). The Spicy Potato Curry and Samosas looked pretty good, too.

The American Southwest Booth, which has moved from Canada to Scotland, is offering Ghost Pepper Guac this year--I had to check that out. The only minor bummer is that the France booth, with its yummy steak and coq au vin, is out this year.

Don't forget to pick up a festival guide for menus and a handy map locating all the booths. The park is also offering the "Busch Gardens Bot" (via Facebook Messenger), with event information, recipes, and other "fun stuff." Cashless wristbands and sampler cards (10 or 15 dishes or beverages) are available, as are wine and Scotch tastings. Pairings of Note is a new event at Castle O'Sullivan in Ireland: You can try six different samples pairing food with the appropriate wine--and live music. Or perhaps you'd prefer a Wine on the Rhine cruise.

Who wants to see pictures of buildings and food?

001.thumb.jpg.2473f395361701ee5b6a055b1f376c46.jpg

OK, where's the food at! I'm hungry!

002.thumb.jpg.4dd6b5c618f1e1a90e97ef0bebc3520f.jpg

Look--people at a water park riding slides and having actual fun! ;)

003.thumb.jpg.44f68838a72c0bef571aa926c6d11c95.jpg

The Virginia booth was back--and busy.

004.thumb.jpg.32df4dcbe57165bb5f924fa3301a3bad.jpg

I'm sure there are some people who would spend all day here, until they need to be carried out.

005.thumb.jpg.85a739c543a156134b9cce232670984f.jpg

Welcome to the booth formally known as "Greece."

006.thumb.jpg.6e3e8c431e12ece8762edb089a287c6a.jpg

Here's the menu. I'm sure that many of you are happy that you can still get the griddled Greek cheese.

007.thumb.jpg.e32138a6ddd1d2d351b320bafe19c4ea.jpg

I think the Lamb Slider was a step up from the kabobs of previous years--very tasty.

009.thumb.jpg.2d36f55815dd581aeb44792cadc332f1.jpg

There are food demos, too. Here we see the proper method for torturing a slab of tofu.

012.thumb.jpg.915dd62ebda4aacd9a2aa260dcb322a4.jpg

So, let's see what's new in Germany. (Yes, one coaster picture as per enthusiast law.)

013.thumb.jpg.dc29ccf13ce4e41c4b8765ea88d7edbe.jpg

As you all know, Germany is renowned for frozen tropical beverages, . . .

014.thumb.jpg.dd281f1a3f7673ad2b5ad084a7c405c0.jpg

. . . Argentinian wine, . . .

015.thumb.jpg.a863cc1f94d79396cd6351acc025405c.jpg

. . . and Indian food.

015a.thumb.jpg.109e54cdb28b48359ab1a738e85adf4c.jpg

I didn't know they grew that much curry in Germany.

016.thumb.jpg.a161fed4980585b682f31647467ceec7.jpg

Here's a peek at the menu.

017.thumb.jpg.77531bd26675f58636d471f841c9e0d3.jpg

The Tandoori Chicken (with cardamon ginger rice) was very good . . .

018.thumb.jpg.e66cc52afa644b9b7ec2720d7a247430.jpg

. . . and Bollywood elephant approved.

018a.thumb.jpg.52aa73a692c127c09d51f19f90afd6fa.jpg

There's a craft show by DarKastle, too. The woman in the middle of the picture has been selling prints of her paintings at the park for a few years now.

019.thumb.jpg.475beea7c242661df1cbf4270bccc9dd.jpg

And, if you must, you can still get German food and beer in Germany. ;)

020.thumb.jpg.d676e91837b58f3b849f601f442d93e5.jpg

What? There's guacamole?

021.thumb.jpg.05b1d98f07c8fd039bcc468152e738c8.jpg

BGW removed some of its animal displays this year. I wonder what they have planned for this space between France and Ireland?

022.thumb.jpg.944a3e12025c93fd89d16472449ad3ba.jpg

Hmm--no guac at the Tiki Bar. Let's move on.

023.thumb.jpg.90139e356be4019dea76057c2165a567.jpg

Aha! Should've guessed they'd have guacamole in Scotland.

024.thumb.jpg.a2522270bb8c2f2f6bd06cc9b0c1ade3.jpg

Might just need some beer to handle the ghost pepper.

025.thumb.jpg.2ab56d917487e5b9cb3184e1a17e687f.jpg

Cover me--I'm going in! This guac is kind of sneaky. It doesn't seem spicy at first, but it heats up a bit later. Good stuff.

008.thumb.jpg.d8a57864594a5b0e3580550e6be527be.jpg

I needed a mellow dessert after the Ghost Pepper Guac.

026.thumb.jpg.6077813b062171394cee0a40d1e7a37f.jpg

This Ginger-Lemongrass Custard should fill the bill.

027.thumb.jpg.050014a2f6d23b08c1591ae1a40e042e.jpg

The festival will be running on Memorial Day (Monday), but remember that it's only Friday-Sunday until July 2. Thanks for reading.

My cousin is overweight with a size 40 waist. He could not fit on nitro or el toro at GA due to his large thighs. I plan on going to BGW with him sometime during the summer, are there any coasters that he will have complications with?

Alpengeist & Griffon both have "big boy" seats. . so no issues there.

and Apollo should be no issue either.

If anything, Tempesto will be an issue, and possibly LNM, due to how tight the cars are. . . waist won't be an issue, but large thighs might be.

Nice report Chuck. Looks like a great event!

Oh, and just for the record.... "After Dark" is a strip club in my city! Just saying....

021_361.jpg

BGW removed some of its animal displays this year. I wonder what they have planned for this space between France and Ireland?

Hey everyone! I'm flying out to Virginia and will be visiting Kings Dominion and BGW on Saturday and Sunday respectively. I'm looking at the weather right now and the app on my phone is showing thunderstorms for both days in both cities. So my question is what can I expect in terms of ride closures at both parks? I'd be really bummed if major rides are closed for the day because it'll be my first and only visit to both parks so I'm a little worried right now. I know there's a KD thread but I figured I'd ask for both parks in here.

Hey everyone! I'm flying out to Virginia and will be visiting Kings Dominion and BGW on Saturday and Sunday respectively. I'm looking at the weather right now and the app on my phone is showing thunderstorms for both days in both cities. So my question is what can I expect in terms of ride closures at both parks? I'd be really bummed if major rides are closed for the day because it'll be my first and only visit to both parks so I'm a little worried right now. I know there's a KD thread but I figured I'd ask for both parks in here.

I've had the pleasure of visiting both on rainy days. In my experience Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens deal with the rain very well. Rides will be shut down if the weather becomes too dangerous such as high winds, lightning or heavy downpour but usually open right back up when the weather permits. Which rides shut down first and so forth, I wouldn't know. I have ridden I305 in some pretty heavy rain (Yes, it was painfully awesome) and almost every coaster at Busch Gardens in the same perhaps even heavier rain. I noticed that in both my experiences, it wasn't so much the rain and wind that shut them down, it was the lightning. If you're willing to wait it out and deal with the often moody/bipolar weather, it can be a great time at both parks (It's near impossible to not have a good time at Busch Gardens). It is what you make of it. I hope that helps.

The best part about BGW on rainy days is the crowds are minimal. I went a few years ago where there were thunderstorms forecast and a passing storm in the morning, but the park was empty when I got there. The sky was blue but since there was a threat of storm it seemed people kept away and everything was walk on that day.

Virginia has a lot of storms that come and go, I hope it ends up being a really good time for you.

Great report on the Food & Wine festival!

I'm heading there June 10th, is this year different that they include Beer and Wine in the Food & Beverage Sampler tickets? I bought one last year but don't remember.

Thank you, I appreciate the responses. I'm feeling a little more optimistic now!

I just checked the forecast and currently Saturday has a lower chance than Sunday, but even Sunday is just showing scattered thunderstorms. These would likely be passing afternoon/early evening showers which is common this time of year in the area. You should be good to go.