TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Skyrush murders it in the "my legs hurt so bad I'm going to sit down and eat ice cream" department.

I'd really like to know why everyone always says SkyRush hurts their legs. I've ridden SkyRush many times and I have never gotten off it in pain. I pretty much always ride in the front row, too.

I never understood why people find I305's airtime to be "extreme ejector". It was good ejector air, but nothing more, and not really spectacularly intense. El Toro eats I305 for breakfast in the airtime intensity department.

However I won't even attempt to debate that I305's positive-g's are a class of their own. I havent been on Skyrush, so to me, nothing closes remotely close to I305. In fact, I found the positive-gs uncomfortable and detracting from the ride. Positive-g's aren't really my thing to begin with.

I'm pretty sure the RMC will be my favorite as their work so far has been more my style. If the ride feels complete, it lol edge out Volcano, just because Volcano feels like it ends prematurely, and I wasn't too impressed by I305, so there isn't too much completion there.

Um Intimidator has no ejector at all. It's floater.

Ahhh the great ejector vs floater debate. This is always fun.

I'd really like to know why everyone always says SkyRush hurts their legs. I've ridden SkyRush many times and I have never gotten off it in pain. I pretty much always ride in the front row, too.

Riding once was fine for me but doing it 7 or so times in a day, more than half of those in a marathon at the end of the night definitely gave me sore achy thighs for a good two days after. Totally worth it tho. I get the thighcrush thing. But people are pussies w/ this ride.

Also El Toro does the same thing if I ride it a ton in one day. I did it ten times in a row at Coasters After Dark one night and had sore thighs for a day or so.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I didn't find I305 ejector at all, but maybe I'm too spoiled with Skyrush/ El Toro/ Lightning Rod/ several other RMCs.

Strong ejector + marathon = sore thighs. I've definitely had some soreness after marathoning several of the RMCs (Wicked Cyclone, Storm Chaser, Joker come to mind as some I've marathonned and definitely started to feel it). I sort of have the mentality that if my thighs aren't sore, then the airtime isn't strong enough or I didn't ride it enough. I could see why a lot of people wouldn't want it this way and that's why a lot of people rank "tamer" coasters (Millennium Force, any B&M) over coasters like El Toro and Skyrush.

I do think I305 would be the "perfect" ride if it had more ejector, including over the drop, but that would require it to move faster and more people would gray out. I just wish I had ridden it before it was modified!

I305 is definitely ejector, when the ride is clearly pulling you down faster than gravity that's what it is. Floater is tricky or almost impossible to do for every seat, but with ejector everyone just has to hit the restraint, equal force unnecessary. What it doesn't do is make me laugh at how ridiculously it does it, I thought the ejection was obvious but maybe not obvious enough for some. That it is outdone in ejective force by a few other Intamins, Magnum, and presumably RMCs (none of which existed when I305 was built), does not change the definition of words. A lot of parks don't have any of those.

Skyrush murders it in the "my legs hurt so bad I'm going to sit down and eat ice cream" department.

Front row is the mildest, I was able to keep my arms up on one ride in front row and 20 MPH winds without feeling like my legs might get ripped off. Front row on Skyrush is like you added an extra car to El Toro and sat in the very back row (if you magically smoothed it as needed). (I was going to wait until posting in the Hersheypark thread to say that but you forced my hand.)

I can't remember if I've ever ridden in the front. I just know that it's the only ride to ever cause me that type of discomfort. I never understood the Magnum complaints, and haven't had issues on other Intamin rides at all. It might be because of the similarity between the SkyRush and Millennium Flyer lap bars.

[Millennium Flyers cause me discomfort as the lap bar fits perfectly at my waist so I get punched in the stomach and stapled at the same time.]

Question here. Going to the park on sunday and I see tokens can be purchased online for the Virginia food and wine fest. They are also available at the park. Is there any price advantage to buy the tokens online, or are they more at the park ? Thanx for any help.

Looking online, there's no more than $1 price discount (15 for $20 at the park) with the lower prices rounded up to the nearest dollar reflecting the prices at the park (i.e. 9 tokens for $12 in park). Although, when I click to checkout, it adds $1.99 for processing and tax. In park there was not a tax charge, so it appears that buying in the park is actually better.

Anyone think that Volcano should switch to an LSM launch instead of an LIM? Would improve the reliability.

Here, and if you want people to get into a bidding war then try this too. Tell them you're an enthusiast and be sure to include your screen name on your application. The phone should start ringing off the hook.

Anyone think that Volcano should switch to an LSM launch instead of an LIM? Would improve the reliability.

Here, and if you want people to get into a bidding war then try this too. Tell them you're an enthusiast and be sure to include your screen name on your application. The phone should start ringing off the hook.

They liked my idea. They'll start in August of 2018.

Wouldn't be my first job choice, but you gotta start somewhere.

Tired of Pokemon Go? Kings Dominion is adding a little of their own virtual action to the park.

720776825_05-18-17BattleforKD.thumb.jpg.372e1fff938122f491650c5bfddd6c14.jpg

Battle is Brewing at Kings Dominion

Park debuts interactive, augmented reality game

DOSWELL, VA (May 17, 2017) – Step into a brand new virtual world at Kings Dominion as the park debuts an interactive, competitive gaming experience – “The Battle for Kings Dominion.”

This immersive gaming app combines augmented reality with traditional gaming and will take the in-park experience to the next level, allowing guests to declare their loyalty to a coaster alliance and then “battle” against each other to take control of the Kings Dominion realm.

“We are excited to introduce our guests to an entirely new digital layer of the park experience,” said Gary Chadwick, Kings Dominion’s Vice President and General Manager. “Being able to gamify the park through the Battle for Kings Dominion, from interactive queue lines and midways to the personification of rides, will make for an even more engaging day.”

The cutting-edge Extended Experience game was developed by experiential design experts Holovis. Gamers will be able to choose from five coaster alliances: Dominator, Flight of Fear, Intimidator® 305, Avalanche or Volcano. Each alliance has its own unique character avatar and a custom battle shield. Guests will compete against each other and attempt to defeat the other alliances for dominance of the park throughout the day. Players can earn points in various ways including playing augmented reality mini-games in special parts of the ride queue lines, taking over territory from competing teams, answering trivia and riding roller coasters. Augmented reality moments from the experience will also come to life on the guest’s Apple® or Android™ device and can be shared with friends and on social media.

“Extended Experiences are the future of entertainment,” explains Amy Steele, VP of Development at Holovis. “This is where every element is connected together allowing guests to discover hidden narratives and gamify what are traditionally passive moments. They can even continue to customize their Coaster Alliance avatar from home as people prepare for their next visit.”

The Battle for Kings Dominion will be available for download on May 19. To complement the game, Kings Dominion has added free park-wide Wi-Fi, making it even easier to play and connect while visiting. A new mobile app complete with an interactive park map and ride wait times is now available. For the full calendar of 2017 operating hours, visit www.kingsdominion.com.

Just a heads up that anyone who dares to mess with the Avalanche clan when we're at the park is gonna get wrecked.

You should form an unholy alliance with Team Volcano.

These actually look like really good high quality characters. Holovis is something to look out for, hopefully we will see Cedar Fair get an immersive elevator coaster some time in the future. It looks like an awesome concept, and it looks like a good relationship has been made with first Battle for Cedar Point, then they helped out with Mystic Timbers, and now Battle for Kings Dominion.

For those who do not know, the immersive elevator coaster is basically a vertical lift hill (like a lift), but with a dome theater around the train. The dome theaters give a similar sensation to VR, but it is more immersive, as you do not have any lagging for head movements, it is higher quality and there is no headset. At the top, the train is released from the lift, and the ride continues. The coaster aspect is managed by S&S.