TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

On a lighter note..... Through the shining grace and mercy of the roller coaster gods. I'll be fulfilling my decade old dream of going to Cedar Point. Day of invasion will be May 15th, so my question for you kind people is what is the best plan of attack? I plan on having fast lane plus just because of the ticket I'll be purchasing and to not leave things to chance.

For years, folks down here in Charlotte generally have had bad experiences with Carowinds' metal detectors as a whole. Prior to our new front gate and FURY 325, Carowinds had maybe 2 or 3 (only) security guards wanding folks as they entered the park first thing in the morning and this was AFTER going thru a row of ancient metal detectors. Imagine 200-300 people showing up at 8:30am only to be told "Sorry, we are short staffed and can only open 2 turnstiles so we will need everyone to form two lines and proceed thru the metal detectors" Generally, there were a few dozen season pass holders in those lines to take advantage of their ERT and were usually let in around 9am (imagine what the folks in line were thinking)

I can tell you from experience that the two entry lines were almost always backed up to the parking lot just to get thru the front gate on most mornings and in all fairness, usually died down after about 45 minutes or so.

Fast forward...after numerous guest complaints and several surveys later, we find that 2015 was going to bring us a world class coaster as well as a NEW front gate that promised to improve efficiency as well as security. We in fact got our brand new gate similar to Cedar Point"s new gate that was modern and streamlined with 10-12 new turnstiles and 2 additional exit turnstiles. While it seemed all was good on the state line for the first few operating days, they found themselves once again devoid of manpower on select days to open all the shiny new turnstiles therefore creating a large backup yet again at the "new" front gate. They originally opened the new gate without metal detectors and it seemed all was well and good when they were properly staffed, then one day out of nowhere, boom...there they were in all their glory, a full on airport TSA brand spanking new row of highly advanced metal detectors installed right in front of each shiny new turnstile.

I guess if people are desperate enough to get a dangerous weapon into an amusement park and are determined to do so, they will regardless of the wands and detectors. It just makes life for all of us a little bit more inconvenient.

btw...we still do not have a Season Passholder entrance like KI (do they still have theirs?) and... they removed our Season Pass parking when the new gate was installed

I just dont get why there's such a backlash against this. Weren't there metal detectors at Great Adventure? Maybe it was the fact I was always there at opening but I recall just walking through, and since you were at the gate you already were at a stop?

I don't know will this really have such a negative impact on entry?

Edited by JJLehto

The metal detectors shouldn't slow things down that much, I would think. Disney World has them in all of their parks and it still doesn't take long to get in (after you deal with transportation, of course )

Magic Kingdom actually has it now where you go through security before boarding the monorails or boats...just not the buses. I'm sure that's helping at least in perception that people riding the monorail are getting in faster.

Otherwise, it looks like most corporate parks are installing them now. They basically give an overwhelming sense of security to those who are worriers. If someone wants to get in and so something, they will. At least the parks are covering themselves should something happen...while making us all wait more and more...

I guess it is kind of surprising it's taken this long for parks to use them, especially these days. It's just a sobering thought all around, none of us want to deal with this or think about it but alas. Really I don't care about the extra waits and the park covering themselves, what can you expect? Imagine the backlash if something tragic was to happen and "they didnt even bother to try and keep the patrons safe".

Edited by JJLehto

I was genuinely surprised there were no metal detectors especially after going to the other parks which either had detectors or wands. So this overall is not a surprise...

Edited by ALT2870

Soooooo yeah for some good talk in here, has anyone seen these pics!? Our wait for the first Cedar Fair RMC will have been worth it, this thing looks totally insane already. Book my hotel room right now

Nice knowing ya. You think after so many people were banned people would get it.

Hey, sincerely everyone: My apologies for missing the rule, I had no idea. I only read a few pages back whenever I log on here. I also have come back to this site just recently after not being on for a while, my first post in this thread in ages was just 9 pages ago. During this I didn't see the rule, I didn't see any people being banned, it was an honest mistake and I edited my post immediately. If I knew I absolutely wouldn't have posted anything. I was just excited, not here to break/skirt/stretch any rules and sure as heck don't want to be banned, sorry for not seeing the rule it was not done on purpose. I love this place and Cedar Point, no disrespect was meant to either.

Anywho, assuming you're at the park at opening, will this really be that much of a hold up? I assume for ERT it'd be largely a non issue. Is it just walking through after you've already presented your ticket? I just don't see this being a big deal at all, and if you beat the crowd I never had a problem at Great Adventure, and cmon at CP or any major park you wanna beat the crowd regardless

Imagine the backlash if something tragic was to happen and "they didnt even bother to try and keep the patrons safe".

CP is already trying to keep their guests safe. They have security. Metal detectors don't increase security; they just increase its visibility. This is a CYA move, plain and simple. They're avoiding lawsuits, not incidents.

They basically give an overwhelming sense of security to those who are worriers. If someone wants to get in and so something, they will. At least the parks are covering themselves should something happen...while making us all wait more and more...

Bingo.

Anywho, assuming you're at the park at opening, will this really be that much of a hold up? I assume for ERT it'd be largely a non issue. Is it just walking through after you've already presented your ticket? I just don't see this being a big deal at all, and if you beat the crowd I never had a problem at Great Adventure, and cmon at CP or any major park you wanna beat the crowd regardless

Depends entirely on how many people are there and how many security guards they have working. If you arrive 20 minutes before opening but the "secured zone" is already full, you'll have to wait for the park to open before you can go through metal detectors, possibly still in a line of other people, and then you can move to the line to get in.

To put this another way: Does anyone here want Knoebels to move to a single gate w/metal detectors to make themselves feel safer? Meth is the drug of choice in those parts and there's a whole lot of guns around. If you do want that from Knoebels, I kinda want you out of my hobby forever.

And of course no one wants that or any of this, it was more a purely "we get why they feel they need to do this" and it's sad that's the case, but as it was said that's the world we live in today. Just figured all we can do is plan best we can accordingly and hope CP gets a handle on it so it moves smoothly as possible

Does anyone here want Knoebels to move to a single gate w/metal detectors to make themselves feel safer? Meth is the drug of choice in those parts

So that's why the pierogis are so good...

what is the best plan of attack? I plan on having fast lane plus just because of the ticket I'll be purchasing and to not leave things to chance.

You're going to get several different formulas, but my advice is to go at your own pace, have fun, take re-rides when you want as opposed to worrying about riding everything. Other than that, the food suggestions seem to be good. Stick to places like Famous Dave's, or if you're going outside of the park, I suggest Thirsty Pony. You're already getting a Fast Lane Plus, so you really can't screw it up too bad from there.

I just dont get why there's such a backlash against this. Weren't there metal detectors at Great Adventure? Maybe it was the fact I was always there at opening but I recall just walking through, and since you were at the gate you already were at a stop?

I don't know will this really have such a negative impact on entry?

People want something to bitch about, especially when it's any kind of inconvenience. Ironically, these are also the same people who would point the finger a Cedar Fair when an incident does happen and blame them for not having metal detectors in place.

what is the best plan of attack? I plan on having fast lane plus just because of the ticket I'll be purchasing and to not leave things to chance.

You're going to get several different formulas, but my advice is to go at your own pace, have fun, take re-rides when you want as opposed to worrying about riding everything. Other than that, the food suggestions seem to be good. Stick to places like Famous Dave's, or if you're going outside of the park, I suggest Thirsty Pony. You're already getting a Fast Lane Plus, so you really can't screw it up too bad from there.

This is good advice. I have a specific way that I like to go about the park, but that's because I don't get Fast Lane Plus. Since you are, just do what you feel like doing when you feel like doing it and have fun. You'll have a great time.

Imagine the backlash if something tragic was to happen and "they didnt even bother to try and keep the patrons safe."

CP is already trying to keep their guests safe. They have security. Metal detectors don't increase security; they just increase its visibility. This is a CYA move, plain and simple. They're avoiding lawsuits, not incidents.

A million signs, a big ol' fence, a warning from the ride ops that loose articles should be left with a non-rider, a dropped phone, and one stupid decision later, the park comes under fire for being unsafe.

People will complain, whine, and grovel to every lawyer in the world if they get so much as a nightmare about getting a paper cut at an amusement park.

I am all for major parks having metal detectors and wands. I value my safety and while there is always a way someone could bring it weapons if they wanted to, the detectors and wanding do help prevent it and at the very least discourage people from doing bad things and keep the park from being an easy target.

I do think it is vital that park gates are properly staffed and being operated efficiently though.

Imagine the backlash if something tragic was to happen and "they didnt even bother to try and keep the patrons safe."

A million signs, a big ol' fence, a warning from the ride ops that loose articles should be left with a non-rider, a dropped phone, and one stupid decision later, the park comes under fire for being unsafe.

People will complain, whine, and grovel to every lawyer in the world if they get so much as a nightmare about getting a paper cut at an amusement park.

Precisely, and that is the point I was trying to make. The park(s) have to do this, "CYA". People seem to not like that but what else can we expect, but yes god forbid something terrible happens. We know how the news blows things up and how people over react. You said it, it would be a disaster for any park, and thus all of em. That was my stance and not sure why people are so opposed. Cedar Point isn't an altruistic entity here to please us enthusiasts in every way lol its a business and we all need to protect ourselves. I get lines are gunna be longer and maybe annoying, but it'd be illogical for parks to not do this

Does anybody know if there is a pass holder preview night this year? If so, when is it? Can't seem to find anything about it.

There isn't one this year.

There's an image circulating of metal detectors outside the front gate area. I'm not sharing it because I'm not exactly sure who took it or if it was authorized but it seems like a mundane enough issue that we can bring it up. This is definitely not a surprise but they're going to need to find a really efficient way to do it, especially at the resort gate for early entry.

Although it'll be annoying for entry, I'm happy that they are doing this considering the world we live in. Waiting 10 extra minutes to get into the park is a small price to pay to feel a little safer.

Metal detectors to enter the park >>> metal detectors in queue lines