TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Just saw a photo of mean streak that was taken from what was probably either a drone or like the top of skyhawk. Looks like a double up is going in right after the drop after the crazy banked curve on the third hill. I see some crazy ejector air on the first part of the double up

^^I feel like the gigas all offer something totally unique and different, so it makes complete sense to my why nobody can agree on what the best giga is since it relies so much on personal preference.

If you're all about speed, I think Millennium Force is still the #1 giga in that department. The other three are in open fields / parking lots but Millennium Force races by trees, buildings and dinosaurs and that close proximity to other objects really amplifies the sensation of speed. For me, I fall for the speed gimmick every single time, and that's why Millennium Force is still my favorite coaster.

If you're all about intensity then I305 is obviously for you. The ridiculous G Forces and transitions are really something to marvel at.

Fury is really a combination if the two. The ride is full of low to the ground speed elements, crazy transitions (though not as crazy as I305) and powerful airtime. It's a great combination of intensity and speed, though it doesn't feel quite as intense as I305 or quite as fast as Millennium Force due to it's location (even though it's actually faster). Since it combines the two so well and then ends with a series of ejector airtime hills (a term I never use for B&M) I can totally see why many people put this at #1.

... and then there's Leviathan.

I've only been in the "town" so I can't really answer your first two questions. But I am sure there are decent places in town. We drove outside of Cedar Point once or twice to go go-karting and mini golfing and had a pretty decent lunch for a good price but I wouldn't be able to tell you what its called.

3) Maverick is my favorite so I always hit that as many times as I can (hit it 7 times in a row in the back seat noce, without having to get off), and then get to TTD about 10 minutes early. Millenium Force actually has manageable lines throughout the day (in my experiences) and we have a giga in our own park (CW) so we always do maverick first. NEVER do the rides at the front, during early entry the liens can be sometimes longer than in the evening. In fact, Valravn at the end of the day was about 20-30 minutes but during early entry and throughout the whole day it was at least an hour and a half.

4) Most of the food is mediocre but some snacks are really good, like Aunty Annes pretzels. We used to like Chick-fil-A but that closed down.

CP is awesome and probably my favorite place on earth, even past the coasters. Try to take the time to enjoy the park and the surrounding area.

Yeah Carowinds is my home park and I've been on Fury quite a bit (love it) so I want to hit up other coaster styles that I don't get to as much first. I'll definitely still ride MF of course (as many times as I can), but Maverick, TTD and others like that are tops on my list. How does MF compare to Fury and other Gigas? Similar speed-demon style or different?

I have just been on Leviathan and MF, and both don't have the BEST layouts ever (not fair comparing MF cause it camee out 17 years ago) but the reason MF is rated so highly is due to the whole experience and where its located. Your going up this super fast, skinny lift hill with a VERY open cabin and you look to your left, its a 300 foot drop with beautiful lake erie and you can see forever. The layout is not the best, and the airtime is pretty lacking, but you stay really close to the ground going through tunnels, around other rides, and through other sections of the park. I rank MF higher than Leviathan in pretty much every aspects (other than the smoothness which is something I don't really care about), but I'm sure i305 will probably rank higher for me when I ride it, and probably fury325 too (if its intense as people say it is).

One thing that kinda ruined the whole "BEST COASTER IN THE WORLD" is that I am quite young (17 years old), so obviously I wouldn't be around for the big opening. Imagine being stuck with <100 foot arrow loopers and carnival rides and suddenly this literal Island of roller coasters has this 200+ foot and 300+ foot coaster, with no over head restraints. Of course its still an awesome ride but the fact that I rode leviathan beforehand made the whole giga thing less exciting then it would have been. But if I were to go to CP, and I was allowed to ride ONCE ride, it would probably be MF due to the whole experience.

Now that we're on this topic, having ridden 5/5 of the Gigas, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Intimidator 305 (#1 Steel. Best pacing, sense of speed, airtime, intensity, etc. - A perfect coaster)

2. Fury 325 (#6 Steel. Best B&M ever. Great coaster - Very re-rideable, but definitely not as good as I305 in any category)

3. Millennium Force (#16 Steel. Great coaster, but definitely not best at anything. Airtime is weak, but the speed is great!)

4. Leviathan (#19 Steel. Still very good, but it feels short and airtime is a bit off)

5. Steel Dragon 2000 (#26 Steel. A ton of floater airtime in the second half! Very fast and very enjoyable!)

I've only been on one giga, Fury, so don't have much to compare it to, though it is probably the most intense coaster from start to finish that I've ever been on. Doesn't really let up at any point until the pre-station breaks. No real moments to catch your breath. And that first drop is just all in-your-face speed.

That being said it does lack a bit in the surroundings/scenery department. The dip under the entrance bridge is cool but the rest is just parking lot, dirt and concrete.

Looking forward to some of the views and layout highlights with MF that others have talked about. I've watched the POV and the first shot of the lake as you crest the lift looks awesome, then the trees whizzing by, random tunnels and fly by the station all seem like they would add some fun elements to the ride. It's definitely one I'm super excited to try.

Looking forward to some of the views and layout highlights with MF that others have talked about. I've watched the POV and the first shot of the lake as you crest the lift looks awesome, then the trees whizzing by, random tunnels and fly by the station all seem like they would add some fun elements to the ride. It's definitely one I'm super excited to try.

Take note: Ride MF on the left side at night. Going up that seriously skinny lift hill with complete darkness surrounding you in that tiny open train and a massive drop off just off your shoulder is truly frightening. I'll fight every time for that left seat, especially at night!

Maybe I made the mistake of riding Fury on preview night, I don't know. It was good, but I wouldn't put it ahead of most other B&M hyper coasters. Then again, it was cold and operations were terrible. It seems to have gotten better reviews since then.

I-305 felt like an odd child of MF and Maverick. It had the speed, and the transitions, but felt like it could have done a lot more.

But, knowing that my favorite rides are Millennium Force and The Beast, those long-duration speed elements tend to score higher than pure intensity for me.

My guess at this point it is Tony Clark doing it himself. The park opens for guests in a month. There is little point at this stage to not start leaking pictures. It cannot be someone working construction at the park since they have too much access. It almost has to be a full-time employee. Considering the newest picture I have seen appears to have been taken from the top of Millenium Force because you can see Skyhawk in between the camera and Mean Streak, it almost has to be someone with permission to take the photos. If you have permission to take and "leak" the photos then it might as well be done by marketing.

From what I'm seeing, we are discussing more than one different source of pictures (which have both been attributed to Tony). It's possible, but it's starting to feel a little unlikely that it can all be him.

Just wanted to mention one thing I thought was funny. One of the Social media accounts has "liked" only one other external post, and that post is none other than a previous TPR member complaining that he got banned for breaking TPR rules and sharing something from that page. Ha!

It's easily better than Leviathan, but I put Millennium well below the other two.

Agreed completely. My friend likes Leviathan just due to smoothness but I prefer layout, location, views, and train type much more than smoothness (I never notice it anyways). But I think both Leviathan and MF would be far below the other 2 gigas

Thanks for all the responses to my question a few pages back. Much appreciated.

I'll see if I can make it out... If I can get someone from my travel-party to join, I definitely will.... But if I have to go alone, and there's a big chance as none of the others are very big on roller-coasters, I probably won't.

I don't necessarily mind doing stuff by myself. But this one is a little bit tough, especially since I'll be at the end of a 4 week tour and I know I'll be tired as hell as it is. I'll decide on short notice...

It's good to know what the whole thing entails tho... So thanks again.

Rest In Peace, Ohiocoasterman.

I have a question for you Cedar Point people. I would really enjoy going to Cedar Point this year for the first time, but the chances of that happening are looking rather slim at the moment. Would it be better to just wait for next year to attempt to visit (especially since Mean Streak will probably be open next year), or should I try hard to go this year?

Seems like Coasterman missed the memo. . . So, for those who have forgotten:

I am just going to post this again as it would appear there are more stupid people in the world that we didn't get a chance to filter out. (Don't worry, they are gone now...)

Ok so I should just make one thing pretty clear here..

ANYONE WHO POSTS A CONSTRUCTION PHOTO OF MEAN STREAK, REGARDLESS IF IT IS YOUR PHOTO OR NOT, WILL BE BANNED FROM TPR FOREVER.

Is that clear?

Good.

The only exception to this would be if Cedar Point themselves releases official construction photos or if someone from Cedar Point takes you to the construction site and makes it VERY CLEAR TO EVERYONE that it is ok to take said photo.

I guess you guys are right about it being a personal choice. I have a relatively small window to be able to go this year (no later than July), so it all just depends on how much free time me and my parents have before that time. I'm really just stuck on the whole Mean Streak thing. Make the long trip to Ohio this year only to want to go back a year later, or just save up all my excitement for next year. I guess I could stick with just Dorney and Kings Dominion (and possibly Carowinds) for another year, but I'm worried that I will miss the opportunity to ride/do something at Cedar Point if anything closes this year.