TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

You bring up a great point about the height requirements. It's nice to get the perspective of a parent since if you don't have kids it's not something you ever think about. It does seem incredibly odd that a chain with such a "family friendly" reputation has such restrictive height requirements, especially at the Orlando park where their existence is so heavily dependent on families who come to Orlando for Disney with kids well under 54" tall. If you're leeching off of Disney you should probably ensure that your park is suitable for a similar demographic.

Guys, please do not cross post content from other sites. It's rude. Chuck is working on his report and he will have it up soon enough.

Sorry about that by the way. I always check the socials to see if you guys are at an event before sharing anything from another site but I didn't see anything from BGW this morning so I didn't know you had anyone there. My mistake.

Edited by coasterbill

Sorry about that by the way. I always check the socials to see if you guys are at an event before sharing anything from another site but I didn't see anything from BGW this morning so I didn't know you had anyone there. My mistake.

Yeah, it's cool. I was out at Legoland Florida covering their new resort and Chuck was at BGW. I usually don't like to both from two events at once because it is confusing so I was going to wait for one to be over and then start the other. As it was, there wasn't TOO much to post from the opening at BGW other than Chuck's footage, which we posted to YouTube and it's going up on Facebook soon.

And honestly, had that guy not gotten smacked in the face by the bird, the InvadR stuff probably would have gone up sooner. But, in a weird sort of way, someone getting hit by a bird on the opening day of a coaster is kind of BGW related!

Edited by robbalvey

Yes, Joris en de Draak is 42"

Interesting, yeah I'm kinda lost here as well.

Yep. This has always been a pet peeve for me. Mainly because I feel it's important for parks to have a good balance of rides available to their guests. I also don't believe that "kids" should be stuck to the "kiddie area" while the older kids get to ride bigger stuff. I feel there should be a balance. IMO, InvadR is a *perfect* family coaster, but it's height restriction is almost that of rides like Loch Ness Monster. I mean, let's be honest, answer this question: Is a ride like Invadr closer to the ride experience of "Big Thunder Mountain" or more like "X2?" Because the height restriction dictates that ride is closer to X2 (48") than it is Big Thunder Mountain (40"), and IMO that's a huge mistake.

Edited by robbalvey

Family coaster or not, after riding it three times this morning during the media event BGW defintily has a winner on their hands.

The pacing, airtime, layout and pretty much everything about this coaster is spot on. I went into it thinking "if this is half as good as White Lightning I'll be happy". Well, I am WAY more than happy and ultimately prefer InvadR over White Lightning. Both are great but I just think I like the layout a little better.

Does GCI have any rides that have lower height requirements than 46"?

Although this coaster is now gone, Ozark Wildcat. I was really young (so therefore pretty short) when I visited Celebration City but I remember I was able to ride Ozark Wildcat. I was one of those rides where I was in the yellow zone so I could ride but had to ride with an adult.

Does GCI have any rides that have lower height requirements than 46"?

Although this coaster is now gone, Ozark Wildcat.

Seriously, people. If you're going to post to our forums, please FACT CHECK what you post if you're going to post a "fact" when answering someone's question. This took me about 45 seconds to track down:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060610083459/http://celebrationcity.silverdollarcity.com/rides-games/ride_detail.aspx?AttractionID=40

1040142818_ScreenShot2017-04-07at18_56_34.png.a64429df563b6e7794a1d1a3315de06d.png

Fact checking your information makes TPR look more intelligent and individual posters look less stupid. Thank you.

InvadR Media Day Report

Busch Gardens officially opened its first wooden coaster, InvadR, today with all the usual hoopla you'd expect: lots of reporters, bloggers, and enthusiasts taking lots of photos, shooting videos, and eating lots of complimentary snacks; a speech by the park president; and, of course, rampaging hordes of Vikings vowing to "sow chaos" against anyone who interferes with their good time invading Fort New France.

Yes, the park's opening ceremony was disrupted by an invading horde--and I'm not talking about a bunch of coaster-enthusiast clubs! President David Cromwell had no sooner finished his speech welcoming the crowd and listing the virtues of their new coaster, when we heard the clashing of swords against shields, and a Viking army emerged from a cloud of smoke. Many of the "Vikings" were guests who had won "first-ride" privileges on InvadR.

But hoopla, smoke, and the promise of raw carnage aside, what about InvadR itself? The entry plaza looks great, as you enter under a giant Viking "war machine." The station is quite nicely themed too, if a bit cramped. As for the ride, it's a lot of fun--especially in the backseat. The first drop is great, and there's a nice pop of air as you take the first big GCI twisty turn. The coaster is well paced and runs at a good clip from the first drop until you hit the brakes at the end. It's a solid ride, and I didn't heard a bad word said about it all morning.

One other interesting little point--no seat belts in the trains. I think this is the first GCI coaster I've ridden that doesn't have them. (EDIT: So, I guess Wodan doesn't have seat belts, either, and I have been on that one. So, make InvadR the second GCI I've ridden sans seat belts.)

Here's a look the InvadR media day.

001.thumb.jpg.8b06b48bad44d0016726b88b1bdffa76.jpg

Looks like I'm in the right place.

002.thumb.jpg.e0994d14a233c4ec6ce06322c09c88ae.jpg

Are you? Only if you're a Viking, you mangy looking cur!

003.thumb.jpg.1a8fa50c13a2487e2a418aba6415b143.jpg

Let's check out the entry plaza--and the Viking war machine's butt.

004.thumb.jpg.a4bea959d27e9c890b41e1194cf7cc0c.jpg

I remember people speculating about what this structure was during the construction updates. Turned out to be a place for your stuff.

005.thumb.jpg.47211d68ba7b76966d6952c595a4c2f2.jpg

The station looks good.

006.thumb.jpg.fec4e9a1994d014789daf2584d7e5582.jpg

Don't mess with this exit. It means business.

007.thumb.jpg.616527dd5cac5ce3a60f0dc10029dcc3.jpg

Rules! Bah! Rules are not for Vikings!

008.thumb.jpg.697a399b3e6bec860f2e7feb8d78b437.jpg

Shields are for Vikings!

008a.thumb.jpg.9a688f47959a945b0107cedc4ee64b78.jpg

And Battle Sn'axe are for Vikings.

009.thumb.jpg.0468861b1b7dc4f703784c72b821bcc7.jpg

Are you going to linger here or go to battle, you cowardly scum?

010.thumb.jpg.7d0fd0d213b0d2bead5ef197303d5c72.jpg

The queue runs through what used to be a kids' play area years ago.

011.thumb.jpg.ffc997c12a45206801fb7c5b431c8bb0.jpg

Here's the Bear Train, representing the proud lumberjacks of Fort New France.

012.thumb.jpg.dd91e5dbec6755569328461877378c68.jpg

Up they go . . .

013.thumb.jpg.1141edc55308e1fefcb828b379deafc1.jpg

. . . in quest of a POV--and glory!.

013a.thumb.jpg.c1551296678f534d14e4a11fc4624d2a.jpg

Remember to always "take the tunnel"! Or is it an interdimensional vortex?

014.thumb.jpg.eee35b9c206ad409456646d0996635af.jpg

Whatever it is, you end up here with you butt out of the seat for a moment.

015.thumb.jpg.2ed16bc66e23be06da71df9f901d1512.jpg

All this POV shooting is making the Vikings impatient.

016.thumb.jpg.344ccf4abf509aedb913c15f0db2e102.jpg

Yes, it's time to open this coaster. Park President David Cromwell addresses the crowd.

017.thumb.jpg.987d044171c369dc5fbaa266d775ed72.jpg

What's this?

018.thumb.jpg.222b2a639952922a28e725312f1416ee.jpg

Uh oh! I see lots of pointy things coming toward us through that smoke!

019.thumb.jpg.80e41079019fe3bcd07dda0a5ef6ec31.jpg

Yo! Anybody seen Thor? Got a beef with him.

020.thumb.jpg.20285c406694639def6cab49def89066.jpg

Magnus, the Viking leader, has come for the park's Battle Sn'axe! And maybe a churro or some kettle corn.

021.thumb.jpg.a012871576688e16822dd035cc2f14a6.jpg

Yep. Those are some scary Vikings, that's for sure.

022.thumb.jpg.c568a42ee530c1c4b0f7223129bc9626.jpg

So, is my Viking army ready to face certain death?

023.thumb.jpg.36f3642f6f2ad5b5099355a51dec30a5.jpg

YES! YES! WE ARE READY TO FACE . . .what? Nobody said anything about "certain death" at the Viking recruitment office in Oslo! Only Battle Sn'axe!

024.thumb.jpg.9524840f397a6fca1cffe7a88f045508.jpg

Let's see how the battle is progressing over at the Alpengeist bridge.

025.thumb.jpg.f7dc9fa84e59dacb02126b31d9569e97.jpg

The Bear Train is fighting valiantly to defend Fort New France.

027.thumb.jpg.abbda0b56ea1719ab9904a592a02029a.jpg

But here comes the Dragon Train!

028.thumb.jpg.cd877e17952161e27b799a285a03aa89.jpg

Die, Bear Train, die!

029.thumb.jpg.0710af586af32de4a7a996c6b6e3835e.jpg

Look closely, and you might see some Vikings taking over the Bear Train.

030.thumb.jpg.0d6217e1545dce123ddd21762721d03f.jpg

Even Viking men get "hair time."

031.thumb.jpg.385263d63e6675845a6e36219a7ac9e3.jpg

They used LeScoot's queue to handle the crowd today.

032.thumb.jpg.31b25c2b093af65aa52c8abf21e7a3f2.jpg

Here's one last look at the Dragon Train . . .

033.thumb.jpg.38ea5ff8e07f2027226675552f309757.jpg

. . . and the Bear Train.

034.thumb.jpg.c9001bbd4b1eecc280c9f3a33e9b35ac.jpg

Be sure to come to Busch Gardens and ride Invadr--or the Viking war machine might come for you! Thanks for reading.

Edited by cfc

Nice TR of the Invadr media day, Chuck! Disappointing about the high height requirement but for the people tall enough to ride, it looks like a nice little coaster. The theming for the entry plaza, queue and trains really is fantastic. I would expect nothing less from BGW though. Would you say it's more like Hershey's Wildcat or KD's Rebel Yell? Am trying to describe it to a friend who isn't a coaster nerd

Great report, as always. Despite the high height requirement, InvadR looks like a solid ride that appeals to a large demographic. Can never go wrong with a GCI, really.

Also, it's interesting to hear that the ride doesn't have seat belts. I believe Wodan is the only other GCI without them, though I could be wrong.

InvadR is a very smooth coaster and very rewritable. I rode several times today during the Media Event and all positions offer a great ride, but as Chuck said the back is a little better. It will definitely be a hit for for BGW this summer.

I wonder if the 46"'height requirement is from BGW's insurance company.

I wonder if the 46"'height requirement is from BGW's insurance company.
There is no explanation, IMO, only poor excuses.

That would fall under the "poor excuses" category.

InvadR is a very smooth coaster and very rewritable.

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

Huh. So it is.

That is... just perfect! lol

Edited by robbalvey

Got a ride in today. I think this is a great addition- in fact, I believe it suits the role of "family coaster" better than verbolten. When the lines eventually die down, this will be another very good rerideable coaster at BGW.

I always felt a high height restriction is what made the Aquatrax never really take off. That ride is fantastic fun all around but outside the first climb, to me it's not what I would call thrilling. Stupidly huge amounts of fun: Yes. Thrilling: Not so much. It just seems like there are so many other rides out there that can do the same thing for a cheaper cost and lower heights.

It's always a shame when the height is so high because fun, floaty, not too scary rides like these would work great as introductory coasters. Considering there are other companies that do offer that you think it would be in their interests to get the height limit there.

Great report as always Chuck. Looks like you get tossed around pretty good at spots in that video. I'm stoked to ride. Nice to hear no seatbelts.

InvadR is a very smooth coaster and very rewritable.

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

InvadR

Huh. So it is.

Dead.

46" seems like a very strange Height Limit to have for a wooden coaster, does anyone know of any others that have that limit? Most that I have ever seen are usually either 42" or 48".

And sorry If this is late to talk about but it is strange that a family oriented park like Busch Gardens (either one really) has very few coasters for anyone below that 46" height. My daughter is only 3 now but she loves riding rides and even small coasters, and its hard for me to be able to ride the big ones without her getting upset that she cant too. So More true family coasters between 36" and 42" would be greatly appreciated for that in between crowd that loves rides but is too short for the B&M's of the world.

When we visited Dollywood that ended up being a tough park to enjoy together because the vast majority of rides she could do (anything below 39") were in the one end of the park and mostly in the Fair section. The rest of the park was less enjoyable for her because she couldn't ride most things. Parks need to do more what Hershey does and scatter their family and kid rides out amongst the big rides and coasters so everyone can enjoy everything together better.

Hopefully in a year or two she will finally be big enough for the coasters with 42" height limits : )

46" seems like a very strange Height Limit to have for a wooden coaster, does anyone know of any others that have that limit? Most that I have ever seen are usually either 42" or 48".

White Lightning is also 46" and I also personally think that ride should be 42" but at least they have a ride RIGHT NEXT DOOR that's a pretty large-sized ride with a 36" height restriction. But honestly, think about it, if a Vekoma suspended coaster, which is actually quite a decent ride with some good forces can be 36" why should a smaller-sized family woodie be 46"? It makes no sense to me and seems so unbalanced, especially when you're in Orlando where families are used to rides that are 38" - 44" for a lot of the medium sized coasters. (and rides like Space Mountain and Everest which have a lower height restriction than WL are pretty BIG rides!)

And sorry If this is late to talk about but it is strange that a family oriented park like Busch Gardens (either one really) has very few coasters for anyone below that 46" height. Parks need to do more what Hershey does and scatter their family and kid rides out amongst the big rides and coasters so everyone can enjoy everything together better.

It's funny that you reference Hersheypark because I've always felt that Hersheypark and BGW are very similar parks in how they are perceived by the public as "family parks" yet one park really seems to "get it" with their height restrictions and family offerings and one doesn't. If you look at Hershey, they have....

A couple of coasters for the much smaller kids at 36" with one of them not being a "kiddie" but a full-sized mine train:

Trailblazer

Cocoa Cruiser

Some for the 42" kids...

Comet

SooperDooperLooper

Laff Track

Then for the 48" guests...

Wildcat

Lightning Racer

Sidewinder

Wild Mouse

And then for the 54" thrill seekers....

Great Bear

Skyrush

Fahrenheit

Storm Runner

And most of their other rides also follow this same pattern. This, IMO, is a very WELL BALANCED park! I really feel that BGW is a park that should have a very similar line-up but is very much lacking in the "family" coaster department, or at least the family coaster height restriction department.

Edited by robbalvey

And most of their other rides also follow this same pattern. This, IMO, is a very WELL BALANCED park! I really feel that BGW is a park that should have a very similar line-up but is very much lacking in the "family" coaster department, or at least the family coaster height restriction department.

BGW is pretty good about their regular rides for the most part being family friendly and spaced out, it's really just when it comes to coasters, and the funny thing is even their "kid" coaster has a height limit of 38" just to ride, many parks have at least one where its only 36" and that's just to ride alone many allow smaller kids to ride as long as they have adults.

Trailblazer to me at Hershey which as you said is 36" is much wilder especially in the end than Grover's Alpine Express, Trailblazer was actually the first real coaster I ever rode as a kid thanks to that height limit.

White Lightning is also 46" and I also personally think that ride should be 42" but at least they have a ride RIGHT NEXT DOOR that's a pretty large-sized ride with a 36" height restriction. But honestly, think about it, if a Vekoma suspended coaster, which is actually quite a decent ride with some good forces can be 36" why should a smaller-sized family woodie be 46"? It makes no sense to me and seems so unbalanced, especially when you're in Orlando where families are used to rides that are 38" - 44" for a lot of the medium sized coasters. (and rides like Space Mountain and Everest which have a lower height restriction than WL are pretty BIG rides!)

And sorry If this is late to talk about but it is strange that a family oriented park like Busch Gardens (either one really) has very few coasters for anyone below that 46" height. Parks need to do more what Hershey does and scatter their family and kid rides out amongst the big rides and coasters so everyone can enjoy everything together better.

It's funny that you reference Hersheypark because I've always felt that Hersheypark and BGW are very similar parks in how they are perceived by the public as "family parks" yet one park really seems to "get it" with their height restrictions and family offerings and one doesn't. If you look at Hershey, they have....

A couple of coasters for the much smaller kids at 36" with one of them not being a "kiddie" but a full-sized mine train:

Trailblazer

Cocoa Cruiser

Some for the 42" kids...

Comet

SooperDooperLooper

Laff Track

Then for the 48" guests...

Wildcat

Lightning Racer

Sidewinder

Wild Mouse

And then for the 54" thrill seekers....

Great Bear

Skyrush

Fahrenheit

Storm Runner

This is one of the main reasons my family loved Hersheypark last year. I could go over and ride Skyrush while my little sister rides SDL, and in the back of the park, I could go on Storm Runner while she rides Trailblazer.

Not only is the height restriction well-balanced, but their actual LOCATION in the park is perfect too. There's no "big kid" section and "little kid" section... it's all pretty evenly spread out. I loved Hershey because of their heavenly Intamin trio, and my mom and little sister loved it because of Trailblazer, SDL, Wild Mouse, and Comet. I can't think of many other parks that are able to please all levels of thrill seekers like Hershey does.

It's a bummer InvadR doesn't have a lower height restriction, otherwise it would have filled a BIG gap at BGW (and it still sorta does). Still looks like a fun little coaster.