TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I honestly don't get the internet's opinion. The ride has had a broken narrative now for probably a decade with the screens in the queue having been shut off in the early to mid 2000s. They eliminated it and got rid of the story entirely, which, by the way, is something that most of the all time great, classic attractions never had, like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. They're going primarily with just a basic environment and music. And people are...mad? You guys actually liked the seahorse more just because it was something to laugh at?

I don't disagree with you, but I still think there's a big difference between functioning effects and animations and stationary ones. I came across a POV of it last night and while it still seems like a great ride, you definitely notice the changes in a big way. You're right about the nonsensical storyline but that doesn't really bother me with dark rides, there are plenty of rides in Orlando alone with nonsensical storylines and nobody seems to mind.

I'm still lost. Is the scene in Pirates where you cruise past a static scene of a skeleton in a bed bad now, or is it still good because later there's cannons?

I guess I don't really care about storylines as much as most people do. I'd argue that Forbidden Journey (one of the greatest dark rides in the history of dark rides) makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. As an "enthusiast" I guess I should pretend that I view these rides on a more intellectual level than most and really focus on the complexities of the storylines but in the end, I really don't care. Show me some animatronics that move, show me some cool effects, distract me some cool shiny objects... I really don't care if it makes sense. If I spent more time around the Orlando parks I might put more of an emphasis on these things but since I spend most of my time around regional park dark rides like Blazing Fury, Black Diamond, Pirates of Wildwood (lol) and Boo Blasters I stopped caring about these rides making sense a long time ago. I just want effects that work and do cool sh*t.

I noticed no discussion on the recent Chinese purchase of Blackstone's stake in the company. What are your thoughts on this? Can they turn this thing around where Blackstone and Manby have failed? I hope this means a brighter future for Sea World Parks.

I noticed no discussion on the recent Chinese purchase of Blackstone's stake in the company. What are your thoughts on this? Can they turn this thing around where Blackstone and Manby have failed? I hope this means a brighter future for Sea World Parks.

They're gonna provide financial relief. If they replace Manby, who are they gonna put in his place that's any better? What is it about a Chinese development firm that can change the American perception of animal shows? They probably were looking at buying the license for SeaWorld and realized simply acquiring 21% of the company was a better option than paying the licensing in perpetuity.

I just keep seeing all these videos about the pregnant whale and how her baby will be the last orca calf and it just makes me so angry and sad. That sad excuse for a documentary ruined what really marked my childhood, and Seaworld is listening to the demands of those people who won't attend the park anyway! In my lifetime I'll likely see a world with no orcas in captivity, so I will not be able to bring children and grandchildren to see and wonder up close at the animals that enthralled me as a child and sparked my imagination and passion for so long.

Progress? Depends on who you ask. But I don't think so and every one of these "positive steps" that Seaworld is making which are really just desperate moves to appease the Blackfish people kill me a little more inside.

We'll see how this new dolphin show will go.

I just keep seeing all these videos about the pregnant whale and how her baby will be the last orca calf and it just makes me so angry and sad. That sad excuse for a documentary ruined what really marked my childhood, and Seaworld is listening to the demands of those people who won't attend the park anyway! In my lifetime I'll likely see a world with no orcas in captivity, so I will not be able to bring children and grandchildren to see and wonder up close at the animals that enthralled me as a child and sparked my imagination and passion for so long.

Progress? Depends on who you ask. But I don't think so and every one of these "positive steps" that Seaworld is making which are really just desperate moves to appease the Blackfish people kill me a little more inside.

If their attendance hadn't been dropping, they wouldn't be attempting to appease them. Just sayin'.

If their attendance hadn't been dropping, they wouldn't be attempting to appease them. Just sayin'.

I'm no expert, but I've always seen killer whales as the icon of Sea World. Phasing them out just sounds like a death wish to me. On their Facebook posts I always just see people who are disappointed with this shift.

Also sounds like their attendance isn't really improving. I just really don't get it.

The whole thing disgusts me, as do the disgusting people causing the mess...

I just saw the first showing of Dolphin Days, gotta say I really enjoyed it, even more so than blue horizons. It's more about the relationship that the trainers and Dolphins have together but all of the tricks and actually even more impressive ones are there. The trainers and Dolphins both look like they are having a ton of fun. The only noticeable issue during the show is one of the birds didn't want to fly but everything else looked on point.

They pick a little kid out of the audience to help perform some tricks with the Dolphins and I'm sure that made the kids day.

There was a lot of talk about how we can be inspired by our experiences here and how coming to SeaWorld supports great causes, I don't feel like conveying any of those messages is a bad thing. I just saw blue horizons the other day so in comparing I actually enjoyed this more. There is no story like blue horizons but I don't think one is needed either, I think most people are there to see the Dolphins do amazing tricks and there is plenty of that. Personally I'm not here to see some divers and acrobatics so I didn't miss that at all in comparison to blue horizons.

Fun Spot isn't competing with the bigger parks. They're positioning themselves as an affordable option for families after those parks close, or on days when people are looking to kill a few hours after they fly in or before the fly out of Orlando.

Not only are the big parks not a threat to Fun Spot, they're actually vital to their existence.

Fun Spot isn't competing with the bigger parks. They're positioning themselves as an affordable option for families after those parks close, or on days when people are looking to kill a few hours after they fly in or before the fly out of Orlando.

Not only are the big parks not a threat to Fun Spot, they're actually vital to their existence.

It's a place I'd like to check out, likely as part of a trip to Sea World. Mako looks pretty fun and not been there in ages. Since I'm in FL now I at least am much closer to Orlando! The GF is always taking trips to see college friends in St Pete, can finally stop at BGT as well and ride Sheikra (and all the others I missed) when she's spending a day.

Been a while man, how are ya?

It's a place I'd like to check out, likely as part of a trip to Sea World. Mako looks pretty fun and not been there in ages. Since I'm in FL now I at least am much closer to Orlando! The GF is always taking trips to see college friends in St Pete, can finally stop at BGT as well and ride Sheikra (and all the others I missed) when she's spending a day.

Been a while man, how are ya?

Doing well! How have you been?

And yeah, I highly recommend paying Fun Spot a visit. I've heard it attracts less than stellar crowds on Friday and Saturday nights (though I can't confirm this personally) but otherwise it's a very nice, well maintained little park. The Go Kart tracks are great, the flat rides all run great cycles (that Paratrooper in Orlando... wtf?) and the coasters are a lot of fun. Prior to Mine Blower I would have only recommended the Orlando Fun Spot and not the Kissimmee one (unless you wanted to ride the 300 foot Sky Coaster), but this should really help balance things out. Also, they have a season beer cup and that alone makes them amazing.

17630100_10155981930856978_5626226551837177047_n.jpg?oh=b90c73de694b353f34b55bdd71d62e99&oe=598B59A4

I finally was able to ride Mako Saturday. Last time I went the ride went down and didn't reopen that day. I will say it's the best hyper I've been on (previous fav was Apollo's Chariot). It's now my #2 coaster behind Fury 325 @ Carowinds. Of the 2 rides I had on Mako, the trim was barely noticeable on the 1st ride. The 2nd ride was more noticeable, but allowed the smaller hill before the MCBR have a nice extra pop of airtime. It also flew through the MCBR both times. It was only about 65 degrees so I can imagine them engaging a bit more when it's hot. Each hill had me out of my seat. I sat back row, far left seat both times. I'm glad they let me choose the last row since they were assigning seats. I waited about 10 minutes each time. Had I not been pressed for time I would have rode more.

My only complaints with the park that day was the fact they didn't open the Shark Realm area until 10 (park opened at 9). Is this normal for a Saturday...during Spring Break? I can see during the week when it's not forecast to be as busy. I've been going to the park for 10 years and have never seen this when I've gone. It just seems odd the area with the newest major attraction wasn't open (while yes I know it's been open almost a year). We were among the first to arrive in the park at opening too. I had a short window of time to get it in as I had other engagements outside the park for lunch and beyond. Also the 10am showing of Dolphin Days as scheduled on the website was cancelled so I didn't get to see it. I'll be back soon. We did ride Empire Of The Penguin and it was better than the first time I rode it when it first opened. We usually skip it since it usually has a 60+ min wait and not worth it for such a short ride, but had only a 5 minute wait since the park just opened. Of course they were having technical difficulties as we entered the area where they sort you for about 20 minutes. We waited since the attractions we came to do weren't open yet.